Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts reportedly sign Matt Hasselbeck (update)

Andy

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly,  I didn't think that much of our chances to get Hasseback...

Didn't think Tennessee would let him leave....   and if they did,  was concerned he'd go to another team that would pay him more....

I'm crossing my fingers that this deal gets done and soon.

I sooooooo don't want another Irsay Twitter orgasm of announcement after announcement that doesn't lead to anything....

Uuuuugggghhhhh!      That's a few hours of my life I'd like to have back!!

He is a decent backup, but I really wish they would have given Chandler a shot.  Because we won't carry 3 QBs, so Chandler will likely be cut and if he is cut early enough in the season, I don't see him making it through waivers.   A team like SD, who reportedly wanted to sign up, would be a candidate to sign him.

Which is what people spent years saying about paying for a good back up while Peyton was hurt and then Peyton got hurt and people called for and got Polian's head for not having a good back up for Manning. 

There's a difference between a good backup, and curtis painter.

Don't forget the Kerry Collins debacle we endured that offseason as well.

There's a difference between a good backup, and curtis painter.

Don't forget the Kerry Collins debacle we endured that offseason as well.

Right because we didn't have a back up on the roster and he was one of the very few choices left.

The Colts right now I don't think the Colts have a back up on the roster.  Stanton is gone and I don't think Harnish is on the active roster he was on the PS by the end of last and I am not sure if those guys go back to the active roster at the end of the year or not. 

With that said Harnish is hardly proven to be better than Painter.  People WANT him to be but all we have really seen from him is that he did well against other teams third stringers and guess what so did Painter when he was a rookie too.  Harnish was a seventh round pick and Painter was a sixth round pick.  So for all we really know Harnish might not be any better than Painter. 

With Hasselbeck you are getting a guy who is proven in the NFL and could be a pinch NFL starter if needed which is what people said they have wanted in the back up QB position for years. 

I want to be clear I like Harnish based on the little we have seen of him and I will trust the coaches if they go with Harnish I am more than fine with that.  With that said we have never seen him against other NFL starters it could be if we do he could struggle against them much like Painter did. 

I am not really out here to trash Harnish though, the point I am trying to make here it's not like they have a proven back up on the roster behind Luck.  If they did then yeah there would be no need for a guy like Hasselbeck but the fact they don't does make a guy like Hasselbeck attractive.  Honestly, I've said it before I find it ironic that after years of people complaining about the Colts not having a proven back up behind Manning and lambasting the Colts when it came back to bite them and now they are all good with having an unproven back up to back up Luck and are grumbling at the thought of the Colts spending money to make sure they do have a solid back up behind Luck. 

This would be a great signing if this happens for a reasonable price. He already knows the WC offense and could actually be additional help in "coaching up" some of his teammates that may need it.

That, combined with his overall experience, would be a good addition on a couple fronts.

Right because we didn't have a back up on the roster and he was one of the very few choices left.

The Colts right now I don't think the Colts have a back up on the roster.  Stanton is gone and I don't think Harnish is on the active roster he was on the PS by the end of last and I am not sure if those guys go back to the active roster at the end of the year or not. 

With that said Harnish is hardly proven to be better than Painter.  People WANT him to be but all we have really seen from him is that he did well against other teams third stringers and guess what so did Painter when he was a rookie too.  Harnish was a seventh round pick and Painter was a sixth round pick.  So for all we really know Harnish might not be any better than Painter. 

With Hasselbeck you are getting a guy who is proven in the NFL and could be a pinch NFL starter if needed which is what people said they have wanted in the back up QB position for years. 

I want to be clear I like Harnish based on the little we have seen of him and I will trust the coaches if they go with Harnish I am more than fine with that.  With that said we have never seen him against other NFL starters it could be if we do he could struggle against them much like Painter did. 

I am not really out here to trash Harnish though, the point I am trying to make here it's not like they have a proven back up on the roster behind Luck.  If they did then yeah there would be no need for a guy like Hasselbeck but the fact they don't does make a guy like Hasselbeck attractive.  Honestly, I've said it before I find it ironic that after years of people complaining about the Colts not having a proven back up behind Manning and lambasting the Colts when it came back to bite them and now they are all good with having an unproven back up to back up Luck and are grumbling at the thought of the Colts spending money to make sure they do have a solid back up behind Luck. 

yes he did go back to the active roster

yes he did go back to the active roster

The practice squad goes away once the season ends. The team has to sign players on the practice squad to futures contracts, which they did with Harnish and a bunch of other players. So, for now, everyone who is under contract is on the active roster.

He is a decent backup, but I really wish they would have given Chandler a shot.  Because we won't carry 3 QBs, so Chandler will likely be cut and if he is cut early enough in the season, I don't see him making it through waivers.   A team like SD, who reportedly wanted to sign up, would be a candidate to sign him.

Like last year, I could see Harnish on the practice squad.

Still don't like the fact Hasselbeck really only wants to ride the bench for a team with playoff aspirations.

Sounds like he wants free money and a free ring.

You blame him? It's not like he's getting a starting job anywhere.

Still don't like the fact Hasselbeck really only wants to ride the bench for a team with playoff aspirations.

Sounds like he wants free money and a free ring.

???

Would you rather go compete for the starting job in Buffalo?

If the Colts get anywhere near the Super Bowl this season, it's with QB2 on the bench, regardless who QB2 is. So that player's motivations are really irrelevant. And for someone who is going to ride the bench and hold a clipboard, don't you want a veteran who might be able to help the second year quarterback out a little bit? Someone who knows how to watch film, how to prepare, and how to make adjustments on the sidelines? And as a plus, if you have to play him, he can actually perform?

I don't care if Hasselbeck just wants a shot at a ring or not (fans usually see that as a good thing in a veteran player). He's the ideal backup quarterback for any team with a young starter.

???

Would you rather go compete for the starting job in Buffalo?

If the Colts get anywhere near the Super Bowl this season, it's with QB2 on the bench, regardless who QB2 is. So that player's motivations are really irrelevant. And for someone who is going to ride the bench and hold a clipboard, don't you want a veteran who might be able to help the second year quarterback out a little bit? Someone who knows how to watch film, how to prepare, and how to make adjustments on the sidelines? And as a plus, if you have to play him, he can actually perform?

I don't care if Hasselbeck just wants a shot at a ring or not (fans usually see that as a good thing in a veteran player). He's the ideal backup quarterback for any team with a young starter.

It doesn't sound like he is interested in football though

I don't think you have to worry that the Hasselback contract is going to cost us some desired FA or trade partner.

The front office has already factored a proper back-up salary into their plan.     This should not be a problem.

A likely 5-6 million a year for a player that is hoped doesn't ever get on the field unless there is a significant injury to your franchise QB is an issue no matter how much factoring and planning you put in.  I'm interested in the terms that MH will press for.  I can't believe he has resigned himself to being a highly paid clipboard holder.  Some teams with bad QB's out there too.

A likely 5-6 million a year for a player that is hoped doesn't ever get on the field unless there is a significant injury to your franchise QB is an issue no matter how much factoring and planning you put in.  I'm interested in the terms that MH will press for.  I can't believe he has resigned himself to being a highly paid clipboard holder.  Some teams with bad QB's out there too.

Why do you think we'd pay Hasselback $5-6 MIllion?

Last year with the Titans,  he made.....  $2 MIllion.    My hunch is he'll get roughly the same from the Colts.

$2 Million.   The Colts can afford that.

I think his future is as a quarterbacks coach or something anyways; being a backup for a young quarterback is a step in that direction. It's not outrageous to me that he'd rather be a backup for a good team than try to win the job for a team like the Bills that's not going anywhere.

People didn't say things like this when, for years, Charlie Batch stayed with the Steelers.