Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bullitt Is Injured

grmasterb

Bullitt, until he stops taking bad angles to RBs and WRs and shows me he can break up a pass or two and not be a liability in pass coverage, he is just back up material at best. He is dead weight on the roster if Joe Lefeged or some other safety steps up and plays better. He had those issues before going on IR last year too.

Bullitt, until he stops taking bad angles to RBs and WRs and shows me he can break up a pass or two and not be a liability in pass coverage, he is just back up material at best. He is dead weight on the roster if Joe Lefeged or some other safety steps up and plays better. He had those issues before going on IR last year too.

Bullitt went out for one play I think in the Browns game and Caldwell came in for him. The next play was a runnning play and Caldwell flew in there and stopped Hillis for a one yard gain.

Caldwell was impressive during the preseason and on that one play, I had a flash back to the days (several years ago) when a healthy Bob Sanders defended against the run, so IMO more Caldwell is only going to be a good thing. Just like, I think the D was improved with Conner, Angerer, Wheeler over Conner, Brackett and Angerer.

Bullitt has been terrible so far this year (18to88.com had a great discussion of Bullitt's ineffectiveness on 3rd down in the Browns game). Based on last year, this shouldn't be a big surprise. I was upset we signed him back and didn't push harder for one of the other FA safeties like Mikell, Landry, or Manning after cutting ties with Bob. I'm excited to see what Caldwell (and Lefeged and I guess Stevie Brown) can bring to the table.

oh this is great. im glad you guys are starting to see how bad bullitt is instead of jumping on me for saying it.

Hey, I call into JMV constantly and whenever the topic is Bullitt before I call, JMV knows what I am going to say "Bullitt does not cut it" :). JMV knows his audience and knows that I think Bullitt is not starting material :). You have never been alone, at least for the past 2 years.

That's... what she said.

best use of a lame catchphrase...ever. lol

And yeah I hate to see people get hurt but I'm much happier that Angerer might be starting again over Brackett. As for Bullitt, I don't think he's as bad as some people make him out to be but I do think we could do better. Now's a good chance to find out if we have a playmaker on the roster or if we should go after someone like Harris Smith in the draft. I thought both Caldwell and Lefeged looked good in preseason so I'll be interested to see what the can bring to the table. Worst case scenario Bullitt winds up being the better choice and he simply comes back in the starting lineup when he's healthy. Best case, either Caldwell or Lefeged emerge and we have our upgrade. :)

Says it all right here

I never really understood the Melvin Bullit Love. Why? because he caught a few poorly thrown Passes for INT's at the end of games that had more to do with Freeny than anything?

Melvin is average. On any other team he is a backup. Its why he came back to Indy and signed again. We love terrible DB's here.

I was reading that and on one play where he said it was lacey who should have gotten called on a penalty instead of conner was wrong cause it was conner who actually hit the WR......

Other than that his whole "tape study" kinda goes to show that some fans on here dont know what they are talking about, especially when it comes to the defensive scheme... i mean never have i seen the colts blitz so many times in one game and yet they have done it plenty of times in both games so far..... I think its defintely PERSONNEL ON THE FIELD not the coaching staff, you get guys that are good at blitzing and you can blitz.. on bullit i hope Joe or Caldwell take his job.

I was reading that and on one play where he said it was lacey who should have gotten called on a penalty instead of conner was wrong cause it was conner who actually hit the WR......

Other than that his whole "tape study" kinda goes to show that some fans on here dont know what they are talking about, especially when it comes to the defensive scheme... i mean never have i seen the colts blitz so many times in one game and yet they have done it plenty of times in both games so far..... I think its defintely PERSONNEL ON THE FIELD not the coaching staff, you get guys that are good at blitzing and you can blitz.. on bullit i hope Joe or Caldwell take his job.

yeah hes looks to be playing kind of soft like not to get hurt or is it just me

yeah hes looks to be playing kind of soft like not to get hurt or is it just me

To me bullit has always played soft even before his injury, like the article said he takes bad angles and he is a weak tackler. I think fans are gonna see a tougher secondary from the colts JUST because bullit isnt there... if anyone can go back and look at the play after bullit got injured and see who made that tackle... Caldwell and the guy flew in there like it was nothing.

To me bullit has always played soft even before his injury, like the article said he takes bad angles and he is a weak tackler. I think fans are gonna see a tougher secondary from the colts JUST because bullit isnt there... if anyone can go back and look at the play after bullit got injured and see who made that tackle... Caldwell and the guy flew in there like it was nothing.

:wall: :wall: :wall::wall: where you people when i was saying how much bullit sucks

Seriously what does it matter that you said it? its not like no one else saw it... the guy is a poor tackler most ppl would most certainly agree with that.

no one agreed with me. everyone was blinded because of one play he made and refuse to see his flaws

no one agreed with me. everyone was blinded because of one play he made and refuse to see his flaws

First of all Bullitt has made more than one play in his career. He's made several as part of this defense. To the point the Colts were coming up with ways to get him in games with Sanders and Bethea the very few times all three were healthy at the sametime. With that said you are correct he does have his short comings. He is not better than Bob Sanders when healthy in fact he's not as good as Bob Sanders when Sanders is healthy. Sanders when healthy is one of the top five safties in the NFL. However, Bullitt has proven time and time again to be a solid starter and there is a reason other teams who needed a starting safety were interested in him as a free agent.

I think the biggest problem is that people compare Bullitt to Sanders. First of all Bullitt is your average NFL starter, never going to make the pro-bowl but gets the job done. Some people here (not saying you per say) seem to think you are only a good starter if you are one of the league's best players at your poistion. That just isn't the case. You can be a solid starter and not be one of the best in the league. That would be Bullitt now the problem is when you compare a guy like that to a guy like Sanders of course he's not going to look good. We didn't release Sanders for Bullitt though. We released Sanders because he was hurt and his contract was about explode and just couldn't justify his contract anymore. Having Bullitt made it easier to do because we had another solid starter who could step in for him.

Also Bullitt is a very different safety than Sanders. Sanders is pretty much a linebacker trapped in a safties body. He is a run stopper who can drop back and play pass defense when needed. Bullitt is more of your traditional safety. He is a pass defender which is backed up by the fact he has more INTs in his career than Sanders has in his career despite being in the league for three more years. I know several of his INTs looked "easy" but you know why they were? He got himself in poistion to make the play and make it look easy. We've seen guys be in poistion and not make that play cough Chad Cota cough cough Mike Doss cough. That's what a good player does.

Again though you are right Bullitt is not without his flaws. He does struggle on tackling and if you get a bigger guy on him forget Bullitt isn't getting him down. Still though all and all he is a good player.

I cant recall any ONE play he made for anyone to negate the fact that bullit is a bad tackler, also unlike GoColts8818 i dont think bullit is good in coverage either... when your a saftey your bound to get in position to make a play because the plays happen in front of you most of the times, there are some good safteys out there and bullit is not one of them i always say sometimes the colts good players are average to the rest of the league just like brackett would be to lets say the pats or bears.. bullit would get a starting job on a team but soon lose it.

I for one think Bullitt played in a more acceptable fashion in 2009 vs 2010 & 2011 so far. He had more pass break ups in 2009, from what I remember. He did break one up in the SB vs Colston too, if I remember right. Maybe he played better because he had to prove he was capable as a back up. Once 2009 happened, maybe he felt people were giving him more recognition (whether it is attributed to JMV radio shows he was on constantly or newspaper clippings). He started taking terrible angles in 2010 before he went on IR. Kyle Orton would pass to his WRs in game 3 and Bullitt would take a bad angle (remember the ungodly amount of yards Orton put up in that game???) and the WR would gain more yards. The Colts would have good containment and Garrard runs outside the pocket and Bullitt takes a bad angle and loses containment, and Garrard scores TD in game 4. Then Bullitt goes on IR. Of course, who can forget the Arian Foster stiff arm with Bullitt playing trailing position :) in game 1 vs Texans :). Then, this year in pre-season, the bad angle on the Tim Hightower run. It keeps piling the last 2 years.

The only difference in 2010 was we did not have capable replacements and had to go after Aaron Francisco to be a starter. Now, at least we have David Caldwell who has looked good and Joe Lefeged who seems promising. I feel we are better prepared on the safety situation this year.

I think our defense just got upgraded. If Caldwell can prove to play good in coverage and actually make a tackle when he is in position. Then he should keep the job. Pretty funny we cut a injury prone star safety and replace him with an injury prone scrub safety

Lefeged and Caldwell both have looked like good future guys. I hope they start producing more, and one get the job.

YESS!!!!

Finally someone who knows what to watch for when it comes to evaluating player skills. Bullitt is NOT a STARTER!! i thought i was the only one who saw this u give me hope that there are others out there who 'Know' football. It is sooo obvious!! why the mod edit is our coaches so hung up on this guy they cut the guy who MADE this Tampa 2 Defense with out Bobby Sanders or a player like the GREAT BOB S. then this Tampa 2 just doesnt work. We cant rely on Bullitt for anything!!!!! NOT A mod edit THING. The huge 60+yard run by Hightower in the preseason was entirely his fault yea yea it was just the preseason but if u cant get the job done then how u gonna do it durring the regular season or the playoffs or in a championship game that was just a taste of things to come from Bullitts aweful tackling and the Clueless Angles this guy takes toward a ball carrier or recever...ONE GOOD THING ABOUT THIS GUY IS HE HAS A PRETTY COOL LAST NAME...The 25yard TD run by Hillis Week 2 was also all on Bullit he was even on the line at the snap and tried to arm tackle Hillis, Which is impossible. Joe Lefeged is a good rookie prospect and since this season is done we might as well put him in and start developing someone who has a future with this organization. If bullitt is our Starting SS in 2012 then we have serious Front Office issues!!!

Edited for masked cursing

My stance on Bullitt was he played solid, nothing spectacular but he rarely took missteps and misplayed his zone. So far in two games he has made four coverage errors that I have seen and 3 errors in the running game. Those errors were compounded in the Cleveland game because two of them led to TDs. Some of that can be attributed to rust from missing almost an entire season.

That being said, I do like Caldwell a lot, he looks more like Bob Sanders than anyone else on the Colts roster and, similar to the situation with Brackett, I think this injury could prove to be a good thing for the Colts D.

My stance on Bullitt was he played solid, nothing spectacular but he rarely took missteps and misplayed his zone. So far in two games he has made four coverage errors that I have seen and 3 errors in the running game. Those errors were compounded in the Cleveland game because two of them led to TDs. Some of that can be attributed to rust from missing almost an entire season.

That being said, I do like Caldwell a lot, he looks more like Bob Sanders than anyone else on the Colts roster and, similar to the situation with Brackett, I think this injury could prove to be a good thing for the Colts D.

i agree and also the same for lefeged, i hope they get to play real soon

i agree and also the same for lefeged, i hope they get to play real soon

I like Lefeged as well and he played well for Bethea when he got injured in the preseason but since that game it's been Caldwell as the first safety to come in that is why I think he'll get the starting nod over Lefeged if Bullitt cannot go tonight.

Relax dude. This has been going on for yrs. now with Eric Foster too. People have been in love with him since he's been here because he's made a handful of plays in 4 yrs..