Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chiefs Shopping #1 Pick

I am not sure what the market is for the #1 pick, but Luke Joeckel is a legitimate franchise left tackle. I will just throw the following idea out there:

Trade 2013 #1 pick, 2014 #1 pick and Anthony Costanzo  for the Chiefs' top pick and draft Luke Joeckel.

Joeckel would be a tremendous upgrade at left tackle and would settle the position for the majority of the Luck era. He is solid in the pass and run. If Cherulis' knee and Ijalana's knee holds up we could look at a tremendously upgraded o-line. Maybe Luck gets hit half as much next year.

Costanzo is better suited at right tackle anyways which is a need for the Chiefs. This way they get a young tackel plus an extra #1 next year.

I realize this is a long shot. Given the moves we have made, my guess is that we go with a WR in the draft such as DeAndre Hopkins from Clemson. Everything I have read suggests he is a Reggie Wayne clone.

Why should we give up 2 first round picks to get a player at a position that we already have a decent player there?  

I'll give you Joeckle is an upgrade over Castanzo.  But at what cost?  

He's not a quarterback, you can actually find decent LT's in Free agency and you can get one in the first round of the draft even if you are at the bottom. 

An upgrade but not worth it.  

I would trade our first rounder this year and our 4th round pick to move up to #1.  And that is it, because it really is just not worth giving up much for it.  

And quite honestly, I'm not even sure it's worth giving up a 4th round pick for.  

That is how little I like this idea. 

I am not sure what the market is for the #1 pick, but Luke Joeckel is a legitimate franchise left tackle. I will just throw the following idea out there:

Trade 2013 #1 pick, 2014 #1 pick and Anthony Costanzo  for the Chiefs' top pick and draft Luke Joeckel.

Joeckel would be a tremendous upgrade at left tackle and would settle the position for the majority of the Luck era. He is solid in the pass and run. If Cherulis' knee and Ijalana's knee holds up we could look at a tremendously upgraded o-line. Maybe Luck gets hit half as much next year.

Costanzo is better suited at right tackle anyways which is a need for the Chiefs. This way they get a young tackel plus an extra #1 next year.

I realize this is a long shot. Given the moves we have made, my guess is that we go with a WR in the draft such as DeAndre Hopkins from Clemson. Everything I have read suggests he is a Reggie Wayne clone.

:facepalm:

Why should we give up 2 first round picks to get a player at a position that we already have a decent player there?  

I'll give you Joeckle is an upgrade over Castanzo.  But at what cost?  

He's not a quarterback, you can actually find decent LT's in Free agency and you can get one in the first round of the draft even if you are at the bottom. 

An upgrade but not worth it.  

I would trade our first rounder this year and our 4th round pick to move up to #1.  And that is it, because it really is just not worth giving up much for it.  

And quite honestly, I'm not even sure it's worth giving up a 4th round pick for.  

That is how little I like this idea. 

It's kind of hard to say Joeckle is an upgrade since he's never played a down in the NFL. We already know what we got with Castanzo and he's pretty good. Rookie's are always a crap shoot, no matter how they are rated in the draft. Otherwise, I would agree with you. there is no way I would make that trade.

Oh the good old Madden GM.  Problem is, in Madden 2013, not even the computer is that crazy.

This draft doesn't seem to have a legit franchise prospect sitting at #1.  Last year had 2 in Luck and Griffin, and maybe even Richardson by some accounts.  Castanzo was not a big problem for us last year, and he is on the rise.

The Chiefs are looking to trade because there is no one they value there.

Bills, after seeing Geno Smith at his Pro Day, might take up the offer and give up 2 first rounders for moving from #8 to #1.

Pro days are glorified games of catch for quarterbacks. Then again, people bit on Jamarcus Russell after his...

It's kind of hard to say Joeckle is an upgrade since he's never played a down in the NFL. We already know what we got with Castanzo and he's pretty good. Rookie's are always a crap shoot, no matter how they are rated in the draft. Otherwise, I would agree with you. there is no way I would make that trade.

There is a risk with Rookies' but I think most likely he's an upgrade.  

Still this isn't a QB and there is no reason to go giving up first rounders for him.

The Chiefs are looking to trade the pick because the only player worth taking at #1 is a left tackle and they already have a quality left tackle in Brandon Albert. Thus, it is better for them to trade back and accumulate picks to fill other needs.

Costanzo is better served at right tackle. The reason he seemed so good last season is because the rest of the line was so poor. Hard to grade a player when the guard and right tackle get beat so quickly. He is a much better run blocker than pass blocker.

Joeckel is a tremendous upgrade at left tackle. He is a Joe Thomas caliber left tackle. He is elite level. I am not sure where some of you get your information, although I will say there are some draft sites that just want to tear down players. There were draftniks that did not like Manning and there were some that did not like Luck and look how wrong they were. Joeckel would be tremendous and would pin one one the biggest areas of any team, the left tackle spot.

We clearly aren'y going to make the trade as Grigson clearly prefers a multitude of decent players as opposed to a handful of elite players elevating the play of decent players.

The Chiefs are looking to trade the pick because the only player worth taking at #1 is a left tackle and they already have a quality left tackle in Brandon Albert. Thus, it is better for them to trade back and accumulate picks to fill other needs.

Costanzo is better served at right tackle. The reason he seemed so good last season is because the rest of the line was so poor. Hard to grade a player when the guard and right tackle get beat so quickly. He is a much better run blocker than pass blocker.

Joeckel is a tremendous upgrade at left tackle. He is a Joe Thomas caliber left tackle. He is elite level. I am not sure where some of you get your information, although I will say there are some draft sites that just want to tear down players. There were draftniks that did not like Manning and there were some that did not like Luck and look how wrong they were. Joeckel would be tremendous and would pin one one the biggest areas of any team, the left tackle spot.

We clearly aren'y going to make the trade as Grigson clearly prefers a multitude of decent players as opposed to a handful of elite players elevating the play of decent players.

We just signed a RT to a huge deal. Castanzo is staying at LT.