Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Erik Walden LB (confirmed) (merge)

WSnotch

Grigson fanboys??? where ya at

I'm right here.    And if Grigson is good with this,  then so am I.     Until he's proven wrong,  Grigson has EARNED the benefit of the doubt.

And if we signed Walden to 4/16, then I'm confident someone else offered him nearly that much.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@NateDunlevy: Here's the thing about signing Walden: why not make same offer to Freeney? If he turns it down, so what? Why pay that for a worse option? I don't get the logic in keeping Freeney for big $ in 2012, then letting him walk without negotiating a deal, then doing this.

My thoughts exactly.

@NateDunlevy: Here's the thing about signing Walden: why not make same offer to Freeney? If he turns it down, so what? Why pay that for a worse option? I don't get the logic in keeping Freeney for big $ in 2012, then letting him walk without negotiating a deal, then doing this.

My thoughts exactly.

Because he was terrible?

My thoughts exactly.

I will take just about any 3-4 OLBer over Freeney. 

erWalden is an outside pass rusher who managed nine sacks in Green Bay over the past three seasons. It's nothing short of stunning that the Colts are paying him $4 million a year, but Walden was told the club gave him "every expectation" he'll be the 2013 starter opposite Robert Mathis. The Packers didn't think much of Walden and tend to be awfully savvy player evaluators. This looks like one of the bigger overpays of the free-agency period so far.

some are calling this the worst signing of the day so far....

Packers need to worry about whether Rodgers is going to survive behind  that offensive line.

Walden can easily match what Freeney done for us last season and we aren't paying Walden 14 million dollars to do it.

That might be true, but have we moved forward in any way? 

I suppose they felt Walden + Hughes = Kruger or Avril.  And maybe that's true. 

That might be true, but have we moved forward in any way? 

I suppose they felt Walden + Hughes = Kruger or Avril.  And maybe that's true. 

I'm willing to wait and see what else we have in store. No way were done, I doubt if we've spent 15 mil. towards our cap so far depending on how these deals were structured. 

I'm right here.    And if Grigson is good with this,  then so am I.     Until he's proven wrong,  Grigson has EARNED the benefit of the doubt.

And if we signed Walden to 4/16, then I'm confident someone else offered him nearly that much.

People are acting like Grigson is signing players from the seat of his pants or something.  Just like the draft there is a plan A to Z.

I will take just about any 3-4 OLBer over Freeney. 

Walden can easily match what Freeney done for us last season and we aren't paying Walden 14 million dollars to do it.

According to PFF's ratings, Freeney was waaaaaaay better than Walden last year (and Avril, and about 30 other "edge defenders").

Per Milw J-S, LB Erik Walden 26 1/2 pressures (combo of sacks, knockdowns, hurries) in 2012 to rank 2nd on Packers to Clay Matthews. #Colts

This sounds reasonable. I haven't watched a whole lot of Packers games from last year, but I watched most of their 2011 games, and Walden was very noticeable. Same for the couple of games I paid attention to this year. I mentioned him a few days ago, not expecting him to be a first day option. Not a star, and I do think we probably paid too much for him, but he's not the bum he's being made out to be.

you negative people forget about Jerrell Freeman? Who the heck was he? worked out pretty well didn't it! made everyone forget about Angerer who was suppose to be our best LB...you people act like Griggs is doing this all on his own every play we signed today atleast on Defense was also vetted and approved by Pagano! Saynig Walden is worst signing in free agency is like saying the summer of 2013 is the worst summer of all time..just doesnt make sense..Its still winter, Erik Walden hasnt even put on colts uni yet so ya'll just flat dont know how its gonna turn out...hope i made my point clear.

Becasue Freeney proved that he can NOT play linebacker.  Do you people watch games, or just buy jerseys?  Nate Dunleavy is an *.

My thoughts exactly.

Lol, some of these fans really crack me up. I guess grigson won gm of the year on signing big names....get over yourselves. While I have been underwhelmed I see the direction and reason he is going in.

Well said.

Arm chair scouts on here are getting wayyyyyy too caught up with names.

I actually trust Grigson more than I did coming into this after seeing what he's done so far. He's not chasing the big names and he's plugging holes and acquiring depth.

Neither Levitre or Vasquez were game changing guards...which you have to be to get paid at that position. Kruger had a good 8 game stretch and wanted 12 million.... I wouldnt mind Avril...but not at 12 million and having him learn a new position (still would like to get him though for 8 or so).

I will admit the Walden signing is surprising but im fairly confident the contract wont have alot of guaranteed money so it really wont be that bad if he stinks and they have to cut him down the road.

Fill the holes in FA and build your team through the draft. Its been the formula for almost all of the SB winning teams of the past 14 years.

so willing to criticize smh give him a chance anyway deals can always be restructured if it doesn't work out..I mean no one could be more worse on defense but cassius vaughn I say you wait to see what he can do before you judge..

so willing to criticize smh give him a chance anyway deals can always be restructured if it doesn't work out..I mean no one could be more worse on defense but cassius vaughn I say you wait to see what he can do before you judge..

haha no, everyone wants to be so critical from behind a computer.. SMH... sickening

This sounds reasonable. I haven't watched a whole lot of Packers games from last year, but I watched most of their 2011 games, and Walden was very noticeable. Same for the couple of games I paid attention to this year. I mentioned him a few days ago, not expecting him to be a first day option. Not a star, and I do think we probably paid too much for him, but he's not the bum he's being made out to be.

I mostly talk to you as others don't read the threads... they just post. Before we hang Grigson by the .....s , we need to see the deal. It's 4 years for 15 mill. But what if there's only around 7 guaranteed and the 4th year is for 6-7 mill ? The average LB makes 3+ mill and it's possible the contract coud be structured where the Colts don't get hurt if they cut him after 2 years. We just don't know at this point how much we "overpaid."

I mostly talk to you as others don't read the threads... they just post. Before we hang Grigson by the .....s , we need to see the deal. It's 4 years for 15 mill. But what if there's only around 7 guaranteed and the 4th year is for 6-7 mill ? The average LB makes 3+ mill and it's possible the contract coud be structured where the Colts don't get hurt if they cut him after 2 years. We just don't know at this point how much we "overpaid."

Better than that. Apparently it's only 4 mill guaranteed.

Okay this is more promising.

BrianHPFC @PFCentral

Colts Focused On Avril: Colts remain focused on getting a deal done with free agent DE Cliff Avril. http://wp.me/pcQbV-35C

When was that posted? I'd like to think that's true. I agree Walden's deal may be a little steep but in if we get Avril too, we will have very solid OLB depth. Walden apparently plays the run much better than Cliff. He could also play a joker role when we go 4-3 with Avril and Mathis as DE's. It would give Pagano a lot of options for Ravens-esque exotic blitz schemes. All speculation at this point.

Better than that. Apparently it's only 4 mill guaranteed.

Precisely. Everyone gets caught up in the potential max contract numbers. I wasn't sold on Walden initially, but with not too much guaranteed money, he gives us good depth at the least. Potentially a strong starter.

I'm still not sold on Avril. He wants too much for a 4-3 DE that would have to transition to a 3-4. Too big of a question mark for the contract he'll want. I'm also not a fan of his attitude.. I'd much rather take Victor Butler over Avril.

Sounds like it's only $4m guaranteed. I'd like to see the salaries and such, which probably won't be all filled in for a few days, if not longer. I just didn't have Walden pegged as an in-demand free agent, and figured he'd be a two year, $5m kind of guy. We made much more of a commitment than that. Either way, just under $4m/year, even if he's a bum, isn't the end of the world. 

Sounds like it's only $4m guaranteed. I'd like to see the salaries and such, which probably won't be all filled in for a few days, if not longer. I just didn't have Walden pegged as an in-demand free agent, and figured he'd be a two year, $5m kind of guy. We made much more of a commitment than that. Either way, just under $4m/year, even if he's a bum, isn't the end of the world.

Thing is you can just cut him after two years and it only cost you a couple million off the cap. So if he doesn't play up to the contract , it's adios and no big deal.