Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Erik Walden LB (confirmed) (merge)

WSnotch

Wayyyyy too much for Walden, although looking more into him, he's not that bad. 

Yeah, I dont like the numbers at all. I knew he was a good rotational player but never thought he'd play opposite Mathis. I dont think Colts fans would relish that on the field.

BIG TIME HEAD SCRATCHER!!!

Connor Barwin could have been had for close to those numbers???

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those interested, he was rated one of the worst LBs on PFF over the past 2 years.

I'm not paying too closely to stats like that, but I think it should be mentioned.

I kinda liked him in Green Bay, but 4M a year is double what he's worth. 

I am a little familiar with Walden. He does start games strong, but has a tendency to fade out over the course of the game. He can get to the QB. I think we should probably not focus on the 16 million. Let's wait and see what the guaranteed cash is.

This guy played a great game against us last year, I remember swearing at him several times. He had 9 pressures on AL.

I think everyone should just calm down. Nobody knows anything about guarenteed money. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out this is a heavily incentive laden contract, in which case you all will be jumping for joy if he earns the full 16 million.

Edit: To add onto my last statement, the guy is 28 and has gotten paid at or near league minimum every year, but he has been trending upward and appears to be peaking at the right time. Chances are he took a chance on himself and signed with us because we gave him an incentive heavy deal that rewards his play if he can earn it.

I want to see where somebody affiliated with the Colts that is saying he's projected to start at OLBer. That don't sound right at all to me. I could see him starting at ILBer and cutting Angerer. He's 245 lbs and would be a much better fit at ILBer. The Cliff Avril talk is strangely quiet and I could see him being brought in still.

I have been a member of a lot of boards over the years, but I have never seen a more knee jerk reaction from people who know nothing but names.  Ridiculous to let some nonsense "rating" system determine your opinion of a guy. 

If we signed Vince Young, you guys would be ecstatic because he was a Pro Bowler.  Get over yourselves.

erWalden is an outside pass rusher who managed nine sacks in Green Bay over the past three seasons. It's nothing short of stunning that the Colts are paying him $4 million a year, but Walden was told the club gave him "every expectation" he'll be the 2013 starter opposite Robert Mathis. The Packers didn't think much of Walden and tend to be awfully savvy player evaluators. This looks like one of the bigger overpays of the free-agency period so far.

some are calling this the worst signing of the day so far....

All I can say is, if we truly gave this guy 4 mil. per season then Grigson and Pagano really saw something in him they liked. It also tells me that there had to be another team competing for his services, because no team is just going to hand out that kind of money to a backup player as a start out offer. There is something else to this and another reason for it.