Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Percy Harvin traded to Seattle

Dustin

that was dumb. now what are the vikings gonna do at wr. their two first round picks will be in the twenties

Sign Mike Wallace for what Harvin was asking for or tender Victor Cruz for one of those picks. They also are interested in Greg Jennings. I fully expect 1 of those 3 to be a Viking....and yet Ponder still will suck.

I really don't like this trade for Seattle. I just don't get it.

They gave up a 1st, 3rd, and a 7th for a player they really don't need and re-signing him will take away their chance to, at the very least, pick up FA help and, at worst, retain their core players. WR wasn't a need for the Seahawks; improving that pass rush was. It's not that Harvin won't make some great plays for them; but the opportunity cost (what the Hawks are missing out on because of going for Percy) of him was too high IMO. 

Sign Mike Wallace for what Harvin was asking for or tender Victor Cruz for one of those picks. They also are interested in Greg Jennings. I fully expect 1 of those 3 to be a Viking....and yet Ponder still will suck.

im saying the deal was dumb

im saying the deal was dumb

Well thats your opinion but a first, seventh, and 3rd next year is pretty good compensation and it opens up cap space to pursue those top tier wrs like wallace and jennings or like I said tender Victor Cruz for one of those two first rounders. They could easily sign a wr replacement and use those draft picks to continue to get better. They have a lot of holes and while yes Harvin is better than Jennings it isn't much and they could easily draft another wr and use the other first rounder to continue to improve their secondary.

It was obvious the guy didn't want to stay there...so to get that much for a wr...thats not bad at all.

Well thats your opinion but a first, seventh, and 3rd next year is pretty good compensation and it opens up cap space to pursue those top tier wrs like wallace and jennings or like I said tender Victor Cruz for one of those two first rounders. They could easily sign a wr replacement and use those draft picks to continue to get better. They have a lot of holes and while yes Harvin is better than Jennings it isn't much and they could easily draft another wr and use the other first rounder to continue to improve their secondary.

It was obvious the guy didn't want to stay there...so to get that much for a wr...thats not bad at all.

its a pick in the twenties and those other picks will be late picks too. wallace is already going to the fins, no way the giants let cruz go and i doubt jennings wants to play with ponder as his qb.

its a pick in the twenties and those other picks will be late picks too. wallace is already going to the fins, no way the giants let cruz go and i doubt jennings wants to play with ponder as his qb.

Wallace will go where the money is. Minny just freed up a lot. If the Giants were willing to give him big money they would have resigned him. They are going to do the same thing Pittsburgh did last year. Get another year out of him or franchise him. Fact is Minny has a lot of options and Jennings wants money too....else he would resign with the Packers if QB mattered to him. Heck Minny might even sign a guy like Avery or Ammedola or Welker or just go with one of those picks in the first. Harvin was gone...he didn't want to be there..they did the best they could. Are they going to replace him outright...probably not...but that was a solid trade. It wasn't a bad trade at all. There are still options for them and now they have an extra first rounder and 3rd next year and cap space to be flexible. If they can sign someone cheaper and pretty close to skill-wise as Harvin and save money...they get an extra first rounder. Not bad for a guy that wanted out anyways.

We obviously view Harvin's worth differently....and that is fine.

This is a great deal for Seattle.  They get one of the league's better playmakers and he is still young too.  As for Minny, I don't know what they are thinking.  AP is a beast, but he can't be your entire offense.  Are they planning to run the ball 80% of the time and throw in the occasional pass to Kyle Rudolph?

This is a great deal for Seattle.  They get one of the league's better playmakers and he is still young too.  As for Minny, I don't know what they are thinking.  AP is a beast, but he can't be your entire offense.  Are they planning to run the ball 80% of the time and throw in the occasional pass to Kyle Rudolph?

Well , if they wanted to they could (maybe) draft Tavon Austin and Justin Hunter

Interesting that Minny has started dumping its primadonna WRs on Seattle of late. I know Sidney Rice did OK this past season, but he has fallen well short of expectations since moving west. I'm not entirely convinced Harvin will do anything different.

Seahawks are looking even more dangerous by the day. Pete is doing a good job up in Seattle.

Yup, initially the Pete Carroll hire did not impress me coming from USC "The University Of Spoiled Children" as Warren Sapp calls them, but Pete has completely turned that team around, especially the defense. Minnesota, generally you don't win too many games in this league by unloading your best offensive talent. Not a real profound thought to PONDER there eh Christian?  :facepalm:

Yup, initially the Pete Carroll hire did not impress me coming from USC "The University Of Spoiled Children" as Warren Sapp calls them, but Pete has completely turned that team around, especially the defense. Minnesota, generally you don't win too many games in this league by unloading your best offensive talent. Not a real profound thought to PONDER there eh Christian?  :facepalm:

I agree with you on this whole post

No, but it is better than just letting Harvin walk out of the building next year, there was no way he was going to stay next year.

At least they get a multitude of picks, including a first rounder.

I really don't like this trade for Seattle. I just don't get it.

They gave up a 1st, 3rd, and a 7th for a player they really don't need and re-signing him will take away their chance to, at the very least, pick up FA help and, at worst, retain their core players. WR wasn't a need for the Seahawks; improving that pass rush was. It's not that Harvin won't make some great plays for them; but the opportunity cost (what the Hawks are missing out on because of going for Percy) of him was too high IMO. 

WR was a very strong need for the Seahawks.  Now it's not.  Seattle had plenty of cap room and will dump a couple of high, unneeded salaries soon to help ease the burden of Harvin's next contract.  

Now they can concentrate on improving their pass rush in the draft with their remaining 8 picks this year.  They know what they are doing in Seattle.

WR was a very strong need for the Seahawks.  Now it's not.  Seattle had plenty of cap room and will dump a couple of high, unneeded salaries soon to help ease the burden of Harvin's next contract.  

Now they can concentrate on improving their pass rush in the draft with their remaining 8 picks this year.  They know what they are doing in Seattle.

The problem isn't that they went after a WR; the problem is that there's too much overlap in the game of Percy and Tate IMO. They'd have been better served going for a bigger, more durable target to line up on the outside and complement the pieces they already have in place. WR is deep enough that they could've addressed that in the 2nd round, and used their first rounder on a player like Datone Jones (or even traded up for Cooper), and saved a fortune in cap space to upgrade another area of their team.

This trade reeks of desperation from a team that didn't need to get desperate- they were already on the upswing. It's not that I don't think Percy will have success there, but they missed out on the chance to make themselves even stronger by making this deal.

The problem isn't that they went after a WR; the problem is that there's too much overlap in the game of Percy and Tate IMO. T

There's a big difference in Tate and Harvin.  Tate is an outside receiver and Harvin is a slot receiver.  Harvin is a much better deep threat as well.  If you think there's not a big difference between the two, you know nothing about either one.

Defensively yes.  However, there are three phases to the game.  Offense is one.  A strong offense can also take a lot of pressure off a defense.

I'm not arguing that. It's just you'd think a team that got killed in the playoffs because they couldn't get to the QB would invest in a pass rusher before they'd give up 2 high draft picks for a slot receiver that's going to make over $11 million a year.

There's a big difference in Tate and Harvin.  Tate is an outside receiver and Harvin is a slot receiver.  Harvin is a much better deep threat as well.  If you think there's not a big difference between the two, you know nothing about either one.

Nothing like a good old if/then statement that leads into me not knowing anything, eh? Since you've used that card, I'll avoid it. Here's my counterargument:

1) You may want to evaluate if Percy's really a much better deep threat, because he's not. None of the numbers show that.

2) He's also not a 1000 yard receiver, not a 100 catch guy, not a double digit TD guy, and not a guy who can play a whole season healthy.

3) He is a locker room malcontent who complained his way off of a playoff roster.

4) He will make some pretty plays on a highlight reel.

And, not that it makes sense to ignore defense like you've done (and I disagree that WR was the biggest need on offense- one of their starting Guards was a rookie undrafted DE they converted into a o-linemen), but even if WR was the biggest priority on the team, Harvin at $11 million/year, a 1st rounder, a 3rd rounder, and a 7th rounder is a terrible value. 

not a guy who can play a whole season healthy.

And, not that it makes sense to ignore defense like you've done (and I disagree that WR was the biggest need on offense- one of their starting Guards was a rookie undrafted DE they converted into a o-linemen), 

in 2011 he played a full season, 15 games the year before.  Durability is not a  concern with Harvin.  

You would be giddy if the Colts nade the same move Seattle just made and you know it.

Seattle did have a rookie tackle who was a converted DL. but he was a reserve.  He played only because of an injury to another.  And offensively WR was Seattle's biggest need. Now they will concentrate their efforts on their defensive front seven.  Their offensive issues are settled.

Besides, one trade does not mean other area now can not be addressed.

Well. The Vikings have signed Jennings for the money that Harvin was asking for ...and have a 1st and 7th this year plus a likely 3rd next year. I say while both teams win...the Vikings came out great. They can turn one of those 2 first rounders into another wr and secondary help or whatever. Is Harvin better than Jennings...possibly...but not Jennings and a 1st rd, 3rd, and 7th rd pick. Vikings did just fine in this deal. They need help all over and they didn't downgrade at receiver much at all.

There's a big difference in Tate and Harvin. Tate is an outside receiver and Harvin is a slot receiver. Harvin is a much better deep threat as well. If you think there's not a big difference between the two, you know nothing about either one.

I think what Hans is saying, and it's something I agree with, is the talent disparity between the two isn't worth 1/3/7.

I don't think anyone thinks Tate is better than Harvin. But they are similar players. Similar enough that I personally wouldn't had made that trade.

I'm not arguing that. It's just you'd think a team that got killed in the playoffs because they couldn't get to the QB would invest in a pass rusher before they'd give up 2 high draft picks for a slot receiver that's going to make over $11 million a year.

The Seahawks "got killed" in the playoffs?  Really?  They went 1-1 and the loss came in the last 10 seconds of a game when the strength of their defense go caught being out of position.  Actually the Seahawks never got beat badly ever last season.  Their worst loss was by 6 points.

The Seahawks "got killed" in the playoffs?  Really?  They went 1-1 and the loss came in the last 10 seconds of a game when the strength of their defense go caught being out of position.  Actually the Seahawks never got beat badly ever last season.  Their worst loss was by 6 points.

Not killed as in blown out. Killed as in Matt Ryan carving them up because they couldn't touch him all game.