Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Knowing what we know now

bobourret

Would you take a Bob Sanders in the 3rd round. Great player but will be hurt a lot

Syracuse S Shamarko Thomas drew a comparison to Bob Sanders from NFL Network's Mike Mayock.

When asked about Thomas' Combine performance, Mayock said "he looked like Bob Sanders to me, and he did on tape.... he is a missile, he gets after the run, but his numbers at the Combine were phenomenal." Mayock went on to acknowledge that Thomas is a bit tight and short, but sees the safety as a late second- to mid third-round pick.

To topic:  Without question I would take Bob Sanders in the 3rd round.  Bob's biggest problem was he was a hitter instead of a tackler.  Do not get me wrong he did wrap up in the open field to tackle, but he preferred to HIT....I love it...but the art of tackling is going away....

Getting ready to HIT

2007-02-01-sanders-topper.jpg

Tackle

bob-sanders-tackle.jpg

I'd take the Syracuse safety, TY Hilton's old teammate (don't know his name), Rambo, or I think the guy's name is Duke.

I'd take any of them cause I think Matt Elam wont be there at 24

I would surprised if Elam goes before 24. Many only have him as a low 1st down to mid second.

I would surprised if Elam goes before 24. Many only have him as a low 1st down to mid second.

I'd take the Syracuse safety, TY Hilton's old teammate (don't know his name), Rambo, or I think the guy's name is Duke.

I'd take any of them cause I think Matt Elam wont be there at 24

TK....you are talking about Cyprien as TY's FI teammate...I love the guy...Duke Williams is fast, but the 9th rated safety.

Blood, I think someone will bite on Elam....just a gut feeling.  

Thomas was rated 10th at one point as well....so who knows what will go down....that is why iit is so fun...some rise...some fall. :)

One of these days I might do the multi-quote correctly...I did not go to the training class :lol:

i would absolutely "take a Bob Sanders in the 3rd round", but you can't over pay someone that gets hurt that much. the biggest problem the colts had with sanders was they chose to over pay him and were stuck with a terrible contract and cap hits.

I would love to have a healthy Bob Sanders on our defense now, which actually requires a strong hitting safety. 

I haven't followed college football that religiously this year or seen the combine stuff since it is a toss up at who will be at 24 when we pick.

I trust Grigson will make the right choices because I didn't think he made a lot of good choices last year and I was wrong on that.

There weren't very many highly-touted players that came into the league during the in the '04 draft... The Colts didn't have a first round pick... Looking at the second round of that draft, I'd have to say that Bob had the best career out of any 2nd rounder. Other than OT Chris Snee and FB Greg Jones, Sanders was the only player drafted in that round that ever made the probowl... I'd take him again.

There were players still available at that time that did have longer and maybe better careers than Sanders, but we could have gotten them all in later rounds had we had the perfect draft... The biggest steal of that year ended up being G/C Scott Wells who went to Green Bay with the 251st pick (third to last) I think he is still in the league...

That year: Wes Welker, Vonta Leach, Cullin Jenkins, Willie Parker, Ryan Lilja, Jason Peters, and Tommy Kelly all went undrafted...

Oh, to answer your actual question: I would love to take a Bob Sanders in the third... If Thomas is there, it would be foolish to pass on him, IMO.

Would you take a Bob Sanders in the 3rd round. Great player but will be hurt a lot

Syracuse S Shamarko Thomas drew a comparison to Bob Sanders from NFL Network's Mike Mayock.

When asked about Thomas' Combine performance, Mayock said "he looked like Bob Sanders to me, and he did on tape.... he is a missile, he gets after the run, but his numbers at the Combine were phenomenal." Mayock went on to acknowledge that Thomas is a bit tight and short, but sees the safety as a late second- to mid third-round pick.

You bet your caboose I would. He was a vital cog in the 2006 SB for us, not to mention that crucial Playoff run. Without the human missile's ability to hit & dislodge the football, we are not World Champions plain & simple.

340x.jpg

2007-02-01-sanders-topper.jpg

To topic: Without question I would take Bob Sanders in the 3rd round. Bob's biggest problem was he was a hitter instead of a tackler. Do not get me wrong he did wrap up in the open field to tackle, but he preferred to HIT....I love it...but the art of tackling is going away....

Getting ready to HIT

I agree 100% Sanders was a textbook clinic on the wrap up, stop, drop, & dislodge...He never gets enough credit for that: laser like precision of pigskin mayhem & chaos IMO. Now, this technique has become a forgotten artform...sigh...

Absolutely....the only regret I have of Bob is the injury history and his short-lived career. While he was here and on the field, the dude was one of the biggest difference makers we've ever seen. Heck, even my personal level of anger and aggression when watching games was just at a higher level when he was in. The energy he provided to the team, the crowd and the TV audience was very unique. Bob is and will be sorely missed for a long time in my eyes.

Watching Shamarko (I'm gonna call him "THE SHARK" if we draft him), the guy is the second coming of Bob Sanders, #21 and all. Short, compact, stacked, fast and physical. I'd be excited to draft him.