Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who do you think is the most overrated player in the league?

Dustin

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My vote goes to Wes Welker. Pure system WR that wouldn't be nearly as effective outside of Belicheck's system.

Why did you do this? Now I will get yelled at. Personally, I agree with you. I think it is ALL brady and the offense that makes Welker that good. That being said, he is pretty dynamic. No offense allows you to catch 100+ balls a season for 4-5 seasons. That being said, I think you have to have more TDs to be that guy. I mean Welker is the king of the 5 yard catch. What is amazing is Brady LOVES the guy. I truly believe the pay cut he took was to keep Welker. I don't get it but then again I don't throw footballs to him. He is also unbelievably durable too. He does not get enough credit for that. He is the engine that makes the O go IMO. But in fairness, I don't think anyone thinks he is the best receiver in football just the best slot guy. Hard to argue that.

Who overrates Romo? All I hear is about how terrible he is. If anything he's underrated.

Yeah true but still, the media is kind of hot and cold with him. At the beginning of every season it's " This is the year Romo makes that crucial step. This is the Cowboys year!" and then by the end of the year it's  " The problem is Romo. If the Cowboys are ever going to succeed, they will have to trade/get rid of him." I swear it happens every year lol. With the influx of young QBs in the NFC, however, I don't think as many people will be willing to jump on the Romo bandwagon before the season starts.

I would say Aaron Rodgers just because he is called the greatest QB in the game today and I don't think he is for reasons I stated on another thread. He has some great regular season stats but has yet to prove it in the post-season. One SB run does not make you the greatest combined with his leadership skills being questioned this past season.

Yeah true but still, the media is kind of hot and cold with him. At the beginning of every season it's " This is the year Romo makes that crucial step. This is the Cowboys year!" and then by the end of the year it's  " The problem is Romo. If the Cowboys are ever going to succeed, they will have to trade/get rid of him." I swear it happens every year lol. With the influx of young QBs in the NFC, however, I don't think as many people will be willing to jump on the Romo bandwagon before the season starts.

In fairness to Romo, his teams have not been that good. I remember all the Steeler players saying a few years ago that the Ravens would never win a SB with Flacco. I think Romo needs better pieces and a better HC for sure.

Colin Kaepernick-He looked impressive over his first 7 starts but can he sustain it over a whole season? I think he can but I got to see it first, and hopefully for Harbaughs and GM Trent Baalke he does or there could be trouble, To much press was made about it to soon in my opinion

In fairness to Romo, his teams have not been that good. I remember all the Steeler players saying a few years ago that the Ravens would never win a SB with Flacco. I think Romo needs better pieces and a better HC for sure.

Lol the Cowboys are loaded with talent. He has pretty good wideouts, a good runningback or two, talented players on defense...it may not all be Romo's fault, but he does get a lot of the blame. He is known to screw up in the worst situations.

Lol the Cowboys are loaded with talent. He has pretty good wideouts, a good runningback or two, talented players on defense...it may not all be Romo's fault, but he does get a lot of the blame. He is known to screw up in the worst situations.

That is fair. He does seem to throw picks at the wrong time but personally I think his O line stinks and his secondary is not good either. Dallas is the classic over-hyped team every year and I think Romo pays for that. They are not built (yet) to contend for titles. Maybe Jones has to go first.

Yep, I'm gonna go there.....RG3. For a guy that has played less than a full season in the NFL, he gets hyped and talked about more than any other player in the league. Anytime a rookie gets article after article chronicling every step of his recovery from surgery and then a commercial focusing on his timeline to be back, well lets just say it's went past the ridiculous and into a whole new realm of stupidity.

His biggest fan in 3...2...1...

That is fair. He does seem to throw picks at the wrong time but personally I think his O line stinks and his secondary is not good either. Dallas is the classic over-hyped team every year and I think Romo pays for that. They are not built (yet) to contend for titles. Maybe Jones has to go first.

Then I guess they'll never contend for titles, because he's not going anywhere haha

Yep, I'm gonna go there.....RG3. For a guy that has played less than a full season in the NFL, he gets hyped and talked about more than any other player in the league. Anytime a rookie gets article after article chronicling every step of his recovery from surgery and then a commercial focusing on his timeline to be back, well lets just say it's went past the ridiculous and into a whole new realm of stupidity.

His biggest fan in 3...2...1...

I am not his biggest fan, I actually like Luck a lot better but he did win Rookie of the Year. He is not overhyped at all.

I am not his biggest fan, I actually like Luck a lot better but he did win Rookie of the Year. He is not overhyped at all.

I'm not talking about you. Believe me, he'll come running in soon. Can't stand for anybody to say anything unflattering at all about his hero. I'll agree to disagree about his hype factor, it's completely ridiculous and stupid. For the record, I think the guy can be a very good QB, but people are setting him up for unrealistic expectations.

Blanket statement:  All solid rookie quarterbacks are overhyped.  The Sophomore season is a telling tale...see Cam and Dalton just off of my head.  The league will adjust.  In this list I include:

• Andrew Luck.....great year....love him.....we all agree he was not as accurate as he should have been...sky is the limit...some already have him in the HOF.   :)
  • RG3:  Fantastic talent.....rookie of the year....Olympic speed.  John Madden said he is the best player in the league...hype?  Yep.  Overhyped...yep :)
  • Kaep:  See Gavin's remark above:  "Need to see it over a full season"  Overhyped...YEP...sometimes comes with the Super Bowl appearance though!
  • Russell Wilson:  Fantastic story...story...story....more stories  :spit: Hype...yep.....especially when rumors flew he was being benched about week 4...

I could mention a couple of the other rookies, but no need.  All of these QBs have been overhyped in the media circus we live in...it is simple as that.  And guess what?????  We are on here hyping them more.....and we are free to express our opinions.  What I see in Russell Wilson....Balzer for example may say "I would never play a 5' 10 QB in my life:)"  Who knows?

Lets look to year 2 and beyond for these STUD QBs.....see I overhyped them somemore.  That is what WE fans do...and especially the media and social outlets....Amen  :funny:  :lol:  haha

Blanket statement:  All solid rookie quarterbacks are overhyped.  The Sophomore season is a telling tale...see Cam and Dalton just off of my head.  The league will adjust.  In this list I include:

• Andrew Luck.....great year....love him.....we all agree he was not as accurate as he should have been...sky is the limit...some already have him in the HOF.   :)
  • RG3:  Fantastic talent.....rookie of the year....Olympic speed.  John Madden said he is the best player in the league...hype?  Yep.  Overhyped...yep :)
  • Kaep:  See Gavin's remark above:  "Need to see it over a full season"  Overhyped...YEP...sometimes comes with the Super Bowl appearance though!
  • Russell Wilson:  Fantastic story...story...story....more stories  :spit: Hype...yep.....especially when rumors flew he was being benched about week 4...

I could mention a couple of the other rookies, but no need.  All of these QBs have been overhyped in the media circus we live in...it is simple as that.  And guess what?????  We are on here hyping them more.....and we are free to express our opinions.  What I see in Russell Wilson....Balzer for example may say "I would never play a 5' 10 QB in my life:)"  Who knows?

Lets look to year 2 and beyond for these STUD QBs.....see I overhyped them somemore.  That is what WE fans do...and especially the media and social outlets....Amen  :funny:  :lol:  haha

I agree with you to an extent. They have all been overhyped to a point. What I don't see, is Luck and Wilson articles on a daily basis or either of their faces in commercials. I think that is because Luck and Wilson are more determined to prove their hype before they actually buy into it. Honestly, I like Wilson better than RG3 despite his height. :D  I also think Kaepernick has a better throwing touch and just as strong of an arm as RG3. The reason I don't buy into the RG3 hype is because he will never last playing the way he played last yr.. That has been discussed at length so I won't say anymore about that, but I also don't think he puts the right touch on his passes. It looks like he thinks he has to throw a 100 mph fast ball on every throw to show off his arm strength. We'll see next season who continue's to improve and who doesn't.

Good post Brent. All 3 rookie QBs were hyped up a lot this season. There was not one that was singled out. :thmup:

Really? How many had shoe commercials claiming he would be back from injury by week 1. I would day the Bob hype train was much more intense.

Oh dear goodness here comes the commercial argument again. Well Griff wasn't hailed as the Second Coming of both Elway and Manning combined as the uber-player that is the best of any generation before he was drafted. I think Andy has that title clenched if you want to go that route.

Peyton Manning

That cap-wrecking, noodle-armed, game manager has enough regular season trophies to sink Noah's Arc....but only one Super Bowl where he was incorrectly named MVP.

:burnout::hide:

blasphemer.gif

JUST KIDDING FOLKS :thmup:

I actually agree I always felt the defense was the MVP , But the QB gets the credit or blame .

It was Super Man Cam Newton until RG3 was drafted .

Oh dear goodness here comes the commercial argument again. Well Griff wasn't hailed as the Second Coming of both Elway and Manning combined as the uber-player that is the best of any generation before he was drafted. I think Andy has that title clenched if you want to go that route.

At least he played the entire season. Bob didn't quite make it.

At least he played the entire season. Bob didn't quite make it.

Oh wow he missed one game. Still won his division, played in the playoffs, and won ROTY. Wow, Andy must have really underwhelmed given all the hype he got to come up second best again...

Luck had more wins. FTW

Yet they both came up short in the playoffs, so I don't see how that matters. Neither won the big one. I could put up that list of rookie/overall accomplishments of Griff again if you want me too. We can see just how well they measured up to each other.

Yet they both came up short in the playoffs, so I don't see how that matters. Neither won the big one. I could put up that list of rookie/overall accomplishments of Griff again if you want me too. We can see just how well they measured up to each other.

You could, but wins is all that matters. Just ask pats fans

Yet they both came up short in the playoffs, so I don't see how that matters. Neither won the big one. I could put up that list of rookie/overall accomplishments of Griff again if you want me too. We can see just how well they measured up to each other.

As long as there not running the 40 at this point #12 finished the season with his giddy- up intact resting & preparing for next season with a familiar OC , Meanwhile bob who is known for his giddy- up is unable to walk , with all things equal injuries are the deciding factor for me . Luck is able & ready when the season starts he will do what he did last year only better with the WCO & Pep Hamilton , Bob has to throw the ball more after he starts walking again & He hopes to be ready by week 1 . IMO he'll play regardless & Shanahan will need a new QB in the 2014 draft .

As long as there not running the 40 at this point #12 finished the season with his giddy- up intact resting & preparing for next season with a familiar OC , Meanwhile bob who is known for his giddy- up is unable to walk , with all things equal injuries are the deciding factor for me . Luck is able & ready when the season starts he will do what he did last year only better with the WCO & Pep Hamilton , Bob has to throw the ball more after he starts walking again & He hopes to be ready by week 1 . IMO he'll play regardless & Shanahan will need a new QB in the 2014 draft .

You have a grim way of looking at things. To assume that just because Andy has his college OC doesn't mean he will automatically do better. It's not good switching offenses for young quarterbacks, look at what happened with Bradford and Smith. Besides, when Griff comes back, even if he does not run for a while he will still light guys up standing in the pocket, as he has been known to do. The Colts are quite lucky they aren't looking for another QB this year with the trouble they were putting 12 in behind that sad excuse for an o-line. We'll see how both do next season, and we'll see over their careers who should have gone number one, Wilson included.