Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This Is A Recording..........problems Extend Far Beyond Manning.

PreManningColtsFan

I am sitting on my couch watching the game. I can handle the ineffectiveness of our Colts offense. What is more than painful to watch is our defense and the same problems that have continued for years continue to exist. We can't get off the field on third down defensively. Jacob Lacey is consistently targeted and thus drives are extended. Josh Cribbs has attempted one return on a kickoff and he took it 53 yards. Tackling is etrocious. At what point does this supposed "pride" kick in defensively?

The "Defense" is playing fine. Tell Lacey to stop getting blown up on every play and picked on (He is the weakest link... Goodbye!)When we get 3rd and long, it is almost ALWAYS being thrown at Lacey, and being converted.

I agree that Lacey is a liability. Interior d line is terrible. Linebackers as a group are below average. Scheme doesn't work. I could on and on with this recording.

yeah for those wanting us to play man coverage more often should watch Lacey and they'll see why we don't. He looks confused. I'm also still seeing the tampa 2 drop run the MLB away from the play more often than I'd like.

Other than that though the offensive line seems to be playing a lot better. Collins is getting more time than he was last week and the running game is going well too. Carter averaging over 5 yards per carry is awesome. I'm also loving the balanced playcalling on offense.

Better defense=more championships? Doesn't it seem odd that you have one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time and you only win one Super Bowl with him?

Of course it does...I won't argue that at all. But imo the steps are being taken to improve the defense. Unfortunately we're not gonna see it happen over night. It just doesn't work that way. So far they've kept Hillis to right around 3 ypc which I think is pretty good. Antonio Johnson has gotten good penetration several times but unfortunately couldn't finish the play.

One thing we really need to do is work on getting a better and more consistent pass rush off the edge when Freeney and Mathis aren't on the field because those are the times other teams are going to try to do the majority of their passing on.

Defense was not that bad. Lacey got beat on 3rd down plays which is on him not the entire defense. We played okay on defense, but offense just didnt help at all I mean 4 field goals doesnt help anyone. Plus defense held everything in check the browns rush for more than 100 yards but no individual did...i think.havent check final stat lines. Next week will be really hard with the Steelers.

I am sitting on my couch watching the game. I can handle the ineffectiveness of our Colts offense. What is more than painful to watch is our defense and the same problems that have continued for years continue to exist. We can't get off the field on third down defensively. Jacob Lacey is consistently targeted and thus drives are extended. Josh Cribbs has attempted one return on a kickoff and he took it 53 yards. Tackling is etrocious. At what point does this supposed "pride" kick in defensively?

There are those who will continue to believe the Colts are a good team and can compete for a playoff spot. Maybe as the season progress they will realize that the Colts are a pathetic team that has been carried on the shoulders of a great QB. Players like Freeney and Mathis will occasionally make the great play, but neither can play the run. The small, weak, and not very fast receivers can't get separation, the Oline has been a mess for several years. It's going to be a very long season.

I'm not going to pin this loss on the defense, Kerry Collins holds on to the ball way to long, we were terrible at converting 3rd downs, I think we were 3 for 11 or something like that. Kerry is making things very difficult for a young offensive line that hasn't jelled yet, there were countless plays where Joe Addai was sitting in the flats on a 3rd and short. This is very painful to watch. The only good thing I can see is we actually have a bit of a running game

There are those who will continue to believe the Colts are a good team and can compete for a playoff spot. Maybe as the season progress they will realize that the Colts are a pathetic team that has been carried on the shoulders of a great QB. Players like Freeney and Mathis will occasionally make the great play, but neither can play the run. The small, weak, and not very fast receivers can't get separation, the Oline has been a mess for several years. It's going to be a very long season.

Who are those crazy people? I knew without Peyton we would be mediocre at best. Peyton has masked all of our defensive problems. Thank you front office for not being prepared for life without Peyton.

I'm not going to pin this loss on the defense, Kerry Collins holds on to the ball way to long, we were terrible at converting 3rd downs, I think we were 3 for 11 or something like that. Kerry is making things very difficult for a young offensive line that hasn't jelled yet, there were countless plays where Joe Addai was sitting in the flats on a 3rd and short. This is very painful to watch. The only good thing I can see is we actually have a bit of a running game

Collins constantly zeroed in on one receiver while others were wide open. The refs didn't us out any when they missed 2 obvious pass interference calls.

To try and blame this game on the defense is stupid. They held Hillis down (until the end when the wheels came off) and got the ball back for the offense multiple times. Our inability to complete a pass was our problem. I would wager we win this game by 20-30 points with a healthy Manning.

Sure. They did a great job holding the elite and high powered Browns offense to a mere 27 points, 101 yards rushing, and 197 yards passing.

Sure. They did a great job holding the elite and high powered Browns offense to a mere 27 points, 101 yards rushing, and 197 yards passing.

They actually did. Thing is, like our D is built, the more possessions the least effective they are.

We held them up to only 2 TD up till the 3rd, with Manning, we would have won simple, but Collins

Helllllllllll no

Of course it does...I won't argue that at all. But imo the steps are being taken to improve the defense. Unfortunately we're not gonna see it happen over night. It just doesn't work that way. So far they've kept Hillis to right around 3 ypc which I think is pretty good. Antonio Johnson has gotten good penetration several times but unfortunately couldn't finish the play.

One thing we really need to do is work on getting a better and more consistent pass rush off the edge when Freeney and Mathis aren't on the field because those are the times other teams are going to try to do the majority of their passing on.

How manny years do we have to wait? This has been a problem for the last ten years for crying out loud. This isnt rocket science.