Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question of the Day - 02/20

sb41champs

NFL hopefuls are descending upon Indianapolis for the 2013 combine.

Which part of the combine do YOU believe is the most important for evaluating players for the Colts roster:

1.  Wonderlic + new aptitude test

2.  Position drills

3.  Measurable stats (40 yard dash, long jump, etc)

4.  Interview with prospect

Why call a test the Wonderlic anyway? Sounds like a scratch & sniff middle school book to me... :thinking:  :scratch:  :dunno: Do I get to pick my favorite smell at least?  haha

#2 & #4 are the most important segments of evaluation at the Combine. The rest is meaningless IMO. Have fun at your interviews Notre Dame LB Manti Te'o...You're gonna need divine intervention I think...

Dr_stink-sticker-book.png

Where were you on the night of Oct. 5th? Not frequenting an entertainment club, lowering your standards, & tarnishing the NFL shield I hope Mr. Defensive End, if that is indeed your real profession?  :funny:  :lol:

Here comes your defense attorney now....Are you sure you don't want a court appointed public defender sir? ["Family Guy's Quagmire] His trial success rate is very, very poor & substandard... :hide:  :peek:

tumblr_loj0jwKZFQ1qg6g1r.gif

2,3, 4 then 1 in order of importance. I feel 2 is vital for all (duh) 3 is important for those that didnt have the college production necessarily but have huge potential to climb draft boards (eg Ansah, Jordan type players...) interviews can be important especially if you have to prove your character (Teo lol!) and Wonderlic is just meh...

See I don't get it; I think the most important are 1 and 4.  I don't need to know a 40 yd time because thats just straight line speed without pads no less.  While I think some of the "measurables" are interesting to see and somewhat relevant but here is what I don't get, you go to the combine already knowing what prospects you are looking for.  You have a scouting department for such things.  You have seen tape on them(at least I would hope) and if your really interested probably already talked to the coach, so whats there to see?  Obviously he passes your eye test or you wouldn't be looking at him.  Its a dog and pony show.  One that yes I do watch but to me 1 and 4 are substantially way more important.

Take for example the year we drafted both Manning and Edge.  There were arguably (by some sources) better choices at both positions.  I can almost guarantee that Leaf and Williams interviews and wonderlics were different than Edge and Manning.  Do I have that knowledge no but I would bet my house on it.

Again i'm not bashing the combine because I plan on watching it :thmup:   Again I just think its a dog and pony show.  I wanna see Xavier Rhodes as well as a bunch of other players

3 first and 2 second with 4 as a way if weeding out players with bad character or bad work ethic.  

I say 3 first because in terms of position drills, while they have some value, the front office probably has all the tape on each kid playing in actual games in college to figure out what kind of ability/talent they have.  

Measurable stats give us a clue as to what kind of upside a kid might have.