Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Aaron Rodgers - a one hit wonder

amfootball

Did you read it?

"In addition, Rodgers probably didn't win any points from coach Mike

McCarthy when he openly campaigned for Evan Dietrich-Smith to be his

center and for Randall Cobb to stop playing special teams.

Rodgers also ripped the scout-team defense in early October after the Packers offense started the season slowly.

"For whatever reason, the rookies have not picked up what the

practice tempo looks like or the importance of the scout-team looks as

well as maybe it's been in the past," Rodgers said on his radio show at

the time.

"There needs to be a level of professionalism that is current through

the entire team from the veterans to the rookies that they kind of

understand how each part of the day adds to the preparation."

Also, you had Jermichael's agent and Jennings sister saying that guy is not a leader and does not accept responsibility when the team loses. Not to mention Shannon Sharpe's comments who is tight with GB because of his brother Sterling who played there.

I think you have various agenda's at play....

What you might calling ripping a teammate,  another person might call leadership.    And Finley and Jennings might be halfway out the door to another team....    they've got their agenda...  

In your first example, he's campaigning for another player to start, and he wants one of his best receivers to play less special teams so he can focus on the offense.    And in the next example,  he's knocking rookies.   That's standard practice in the NFL... happens all the times because Rookies typically don't know up from down...

I also take things either of the Sharpe brothers say with a big grain of salt...   those are two of the biggest ego's in the history of the NFL....

All I'm saying is there is an argument that works the other way....   it's not as clear-cut as you make it out to be...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Rodgers lacks the intangibles of a great QB. He can light it up with the best of them but fails often when he needs to make the play or plays to win. He is often quick to blame his teammates when things go awry - he is like Cutler in that regard just not as demonstrative. His teammates came out this year and basically said he does not share the blame when the team loses. I think the title of "greatest" is ridiculous purely based on athletic ability and age. If that truly is the case than I would put both Newton and Kaep ahead of him and RG if he comes back healthy. The QB positions entails so much more than just the arm and athletics. Jules - all of the excuses you made regarding his D and O line were often the same issues that Favre dealt with and he never had the quality receivers that Rodgers has had and yet he continuingly propelled the team to levels they should have never reached. I believe he only had one losing season in GB and nine division titles. A truly great QB covers up the weaknesses of a team and propels to levels they would not reach otherwise. I just don't put Rodgers in that category precisely because everyone makes excuses for him.

You do make a very valid point that is not easy to refute amfootball. Truly great QBs never make any excuses. They typically give credit to the other side first, acknowledge that we failed to execute & get 1st downs & TD's when it matters most at critical junctures in the game, & they don't throw their team mates or coaching staff under the bus. This is the most glaring criticism against Aaron Rogers: 

"Rodgers also ripped the scout-team defense in early October after the Packers offense started the season slowly. For whatever reason, the rookies have not picked up what the practice tempo looks like or the importance of the scout-team looks as well as maybe it's been in the past," Rodgers said on his radio show at the time. "There needs to be a level of professionalism that is current through the entire team from the veterans to the rookies that they kind of understand how each part of the day adds to the preparation." Rogers is supposed to be a vital cog in that on the field leadership machinery. He's got to help set the tempo of practice & convey to all the rookies & veterans alike the need to maintain focus, be precise in route running, & gap control, pass protection, & run blocking. QB leadership doesn't only take effect on game day. If your team practices well, typically your team plays well especially when your squad is misfiring & it is not in sync. Why? They learn not to panic, become unraveled, or stab each other in the back when the chips are down.

How a QB reacts to a lopsided loss says a lot about them. Sure, no QB wants to get slaughtered on the field & I want some visible signs of anger & disappointment over a crushing loss. But, what I don't want as a coach or coordinator is this: ""I can't believe they'd ask that" or "Next question." Leaders in any profession are supposed to lift up their team mates in moments of despair not monitor their responses & then lash out accordingly at a perceived slight or dis. How can a locker room maintain any level of cohesiveness & togetherness when every team mate is afraid to express their true feelings after a game's outcome because their QB might jump all over them? You cannot create an environment where there is no loyalty, no I've got my brother's back. Team mates need to know that yes even though my route was crisp, I dropped the ball, or a failed to block that LB that resulted in a sack my next down will be much better & our squad will score a TD on this drive. And that quiet sense of confidence & reassurance derives directly from the QB. Rogers must remember this fact at all times either at practice, in a team meeting, or on the field. 

amfootball I respect your opinion & I want controversial questions to be asked at all times & I welcome it. And please feel free to tell me when you think my perspective on things is flawed & full of crap too. Keep up the good work!  :thmup:

I think you have various agenda's at play....

What you might calling ripping a teammate,  another person might call leadership. And in the next example,  he's knocking rookies.  

All I'm saying is there is an argument that works the other way....   

Whether someone admires or detests Aaron Rogers or not is irrelevant, what matters here is how disagreements among team mates is handled inside the organization behind closed doors. If you have an issue with a guy on your squad or a reporter in the locker room, you handle it privately in house. You never air any team dirty laundry publicly before the cameras & the press. That is the very antithesis of professionalism & Aaron Rogers must learn from this episode & never, never make the same mistake again. Team loyalty must be preserved at all costs especially when the cameras are rolling. Leadership is knowing what not to say & when not to say it.

You do make a very valid point that is not easy to refute amfootball. Truly great QBs never make any excuses. They typically give credit to the other side first, acknowledge that we failed to execute & get 1st downs & TD's when it matters most at critical junctures in the game, & they don't throw their team mates or coaching staff under the bus. This is the most glaring criticism against Aaron Rogers: 

"Rodgers also ripped the scout-team defense in early October after the Packers offense started the season slowly. For whatever reason, the rookies have not picked up what the practice tempo looks like or the importance of the scout-team looks as well as maybe it's been in the past," Rodgers said on his radio show at the time. "There needs to be a level of professionalism that is current through the entire team from the veterans to the rookies that they kind of understand how each part of the day adds to the preparation." Rogers is supposed to be a vital cog in that on the field leadership machinery. He's got to help set the tempo of practice & convey to all the rookies & veterans alike the need to maintain focus, be precise in route running, & gap control, pass protection, & run blocking. QB leadership doesn't only take effect on game day. If your team practices well, typically your team plays well especially when your squad is misfiring & it is not in sync. Why? They learn not to panic, become unraveled, or stab each other in the back when the chips are down.

How a QB reacts to a lopsided loss says a lot about them. Sure, no QB wants to get slaughtered on the field & I want some visible signs of anger & disappointment over a crushing loss. But, what I don't want as a coach or coordinator is this: ""I can't believe they'd ask that" or "Next question." Leaders in any profession are supposed to lift up their team mates in moments of despair not monitor their responses & then lash out accordingly at a perceived slight or dis. How can a locker room maintain any level of cohesiveness & togetherness when every team mate is afraid to express their true feelings after a game's outcome because their QB might jump all over them? You cannot create an environment where there is no loyalty, no I've got my brother's back. Team mates need to know that yes even though my route was crisp, I dropped the ball, or a failed to block that LB that resulted in a sack my next down will be much better & our squad will score a TD on this drive. And that quiet sense of confidence & reassurance derives directly from the QB. Rogers must remember this fact at all times either at practice, in a team meeting, or on the field. 

amfootball I respect your opinion & I want controversial questions to be asked at all times & I welcome it. And please feel free to tell me when you think my perspective on things is flawed & full of crap too. Keep up the good work!  :thmup:

Thank you Southwest. I appreciate your sentiments not just because you agree with me but because you articuated your position so well. I believe the same thing in terms of leadership. Rodgers will have a slippery slope ahead of him if he does not learn how to galvanize his team and not divide them. No one wants to play for a guy that believes he is above everyone else.

Ironically, he said the packers number one priority this off-season should be to sign Woodson. Not sure how that is going to go now that they have said they will release him. I get the sense that things are getting testy between him and McCarthy.

And your "assessment" of Brady is what I could expect from a Colts fan. My gosh, and you accuse me of being on here with an alernate agenda. Let me educate you. The Pats were 5-11 when Brady took over in 2001. They were basically the Jaguars of the NFL. Bill Belichick "the genius" that you believe he is was going to be fired after the 2001 season if the Pats had another losing season which they were on their way to with Bledsoe beginning 0-2 losing to the mighty Bengals and Jets. When Brady stepped on the field he had 167 passes without a pick an NFL record to begin a career that stands today and second is not even close. The vaunted pats Defense was middle of the pack and bend don't break all season. Brady routinely led 4th quarter comebacks all season amassing a 14-3 record en route to a 9 game winning streak to end the season. In the SB, Brady had a 14 point only to see his "great" defense let up back to back TDs in under 8 minutes. He then took the ball with no time outs and marched down the field for a game winning score. If you actually bother to check his stats from 2003 and 2004 you will see both years he was statiscally at the top of the league and beating the likes of Manning and McNair (co-MVPs) in the playoffs and leading more game winning drives in the SB when his defense gave up an 11 point lead in the 4th to the panthers and again almost gave up a 10 point lead to the awful Eagles.

In terms of his play since the runs? A perfect 16-0 season with a record 50 TDs and one flukiest catch in SB history away from a perfect season. And then you have last year where he took the worst ranked D in the league to the #1 seed in the AFC and to the bowl only to lose on a wes welker drop. THat is Tom Brady - the greatest ever.

Not to  your point on Rodgers, I am not bashing him. I am just stating the fact that I believe to be called "the greatest" you have to have done more than one magical playoff run. And not get smoked in the playoffs in consecutive years.

Is there a way to like your own post? I am in love with my last one. Baboom.

Well at least you've managed to convince yourself, that has to count for something. Orangutam?

To your comments:

1) Belichick's reputation was born with the Giants in the 80s, not in 2001. Plus he had worked for the Pats previously, and they gave up a first rounder to get him back. Plus they had given Pete Carroll (whose reputation wasn't nearly as impressive) three years. By what definition was Belichick already on the hot seat after one? He worked for Kraft, not Davis. The Jaguars have won 27 games in the past five years and are hopelessly floundering in their rebuilding efforts. The Pats had won 43 games in the previous 5 years leading up to 2001 - including a trip to the SB. There is no comparison.

2)The aforementioned SB team included Belichick as assistant head coach, and Law, Milloy, Bruschi, Johnson, and McGinist as well (albeit most of them just getting started). They added Seymour, Vrabel, etc to the above mentioned group, and matured under Belichicks leadership. You are correct in that they were a sub-par SB entrant in comparison to most, but that's largely due to their offense - which was precisely my point. Their defense, however, WAS SB quality, with a brilliant defensive minded coach. Brady didn't stop "the greatest show on turf" in it's tracks, nor cause the three turnovers that led directly to virtually all of the Patriots points.  He wasn't even sure that he would be starting, seeing as how Bledsoe had won the AFC championship game. That "middling" defense was sixth in points allowed in 01, 1st in 03, 2nd in 04.

3) The 96 team also contained a #1 overall draft pick, pro-bowl quality, franchise QB who the team had JUST re-signed to a huge deal for 2001. Bledsoe made it to the SB once, do you honestly think that he couldn't do it again as that defense stepped up? Brady may well have been a better fit for Belichick's offense in 01 (mobility, short ball control passing with few turnovers) but I doubt that you will find many people who would consider him a better QB at that time. It's clear that over the next several years he surpassed him, but not at that point.

The nature of your OP seems to be "I feel threatened because some people think that Rodgers is better than Brady, so here's a non-sensical reason why that can't possibly be true." It reminds me of the Manning/Brady debates, the foundation of which dates from back when the Pats were winning SBs, where the argument was "yeah, Manning has ALL the stats, but Brady just wins". Colts fans read this as "yeah, Manning is a vastly superior QB, but Brady has a better defense and coach". It's amusing how the argument has morphed over the years, now that Brady has improved dramatically - with Pats fans proud to shout about the stats to prove it - without noting that he hasn't won "anything" since. What's wrong with acknowledging that players don't spring from the womb fully formed? Brady is a vastly better QB now than he was during any of the SB runs, yet the team has "failed" to win another - with a couple of one and done's of their own. Maybe, just maybe, evaluating QB's is a tad more complicated than counting the rings on their fingers.

And let me re-iterate my original comment which you dismissed. You say that Rodgers molded himself after Brady? Well Brady molded himself after Montana. And Montana won the SB, then missed the playoffs, then lost in the second round before winning a second SB. On the eve of the second one would you have considered him a failure? That's exactly what you are doing to Rodgers. It's RIDICULOUS. And by the way, the legendary Montana then went on to have three straight one and done's before win #3. And then there's the fact that Young managed to win a SB for the same team a bit later on. They were an utterly dominant TEAM stacked from top to bottom. Put Montana on any one of 15 other teams (or with a coach who isn't an offensive genius - creating the perfect system for Montana's skill set) and he might not reach the SB at all. Would that mean he was less talented? What would you think of Brady if Bledsoe didn't get injured? Brady may well never have seen the field for years - if at all.

And once again I'm saying this as someone who actually doesn't like Rodgers personally, and I do NOT necessarily consider him a better QB at this point than Brady (not that I like him either). I just object to the simplistic condemnation of a player based on team results, and the absurd expectation that ANY team "should" win the SB.

Whether someone admires or detests Aaron Rogers or not is irrelevant, what matters here is how disagreements among team mates is handled inside the organization behind closed doors. If you have an issue with a guy on your squad or a reporter in the locker room, you handle it privately in house. You never air any team dirty laundry publicly before the cameras & the press. That is the very antithesis of professionalism & Aaron Rogers must learn from this episode & never, never make the same mistake again. Team loyalty must be preserved at all costs especially when the cameras are rolling. Leadership is knowing what not to say & when not to say it.

One final point to add to this as an amendment: We all make make mistakes & say boneheaded things we wish we could take back. Heck, I done it too many times to count myself. My pride gets punctured, I get royally ticked off, & I say something really lame & stupid. My point here is if a QB says "You know guys I was an caboose hole. I have no excuse for what I did. Please forgive me. I love you guys & I don't want to fracture this locker room. We all want to win another Championship so I will try to behave better show true leadership & not throw any of my team mates under the bus anymore. Sorry fellas let's turn the page, start fresh, & resolve our differences outside the glaring heat of the 4th estate & the media okay. Thanks guys. 

Rodgers in terms of his personality/swagger can remind me a bit of the NFL version of Kobe Bryant. Note, I am not saying Rodgers is the equivalent of Bryant in terms of his sports legacy or ever will be. It's either a love/hate thing with some players even if you respect their game.

Not everyone is going to be the universally accepted "nice" guy who everyone falls all over even if they are great. I think many do love Rodgers. But, I see a lot of hate for him at times too or just general dislike from fans of various teams.

Personally I think the Rodgers is a smug player/he says the wrong things all the time stuff can get out of hand with the media and some fans. Personally I don't mind it. Is everyone in this league supposed to just say all the right things and be the kind of guy you want to take home to meet grandma?

Say what you want about excuses made for Rodgers but IMO the guy I am starting to think deserves the most blame on the Packers is Capers. Why does he always seem to get a pass when his defense since the SB win has consistently been giving up yards as if it is going out of style?

Oh, somehow in this thread it seems to have gotten twisted around to make it seem like Rodgers worships Brady. Sigh. He respects him and thinks he is great yes. But, like Brady.....Rodgers grew up a 49ers fan and idolized Montana and then Young. Rodgers' game eerily reminds me of Steve Young too.

Well at least you've managed to convince yourself, that has to count for something. Orangutam?

To your comments:

1) Belichick's reputation was born with the Giants in the 80s, not in 2001. Plus he had worked for the Pats previously, and they gave up a first rounder to get him back. Plus they had given Pete Carroll (whose reputation wasn't nearly as impressive) three years. By what definition was Belichick already on the hot seat after one? He worked for Kraft, not Davis. The Jaguars have won 27 games in the past five years and are hopelessly floundering in their rebuilding efforts. The Pats had won 43 games in the previous 5 years leading up to 2001 - including a trip to the SB. There is no comparison.

2)The aforementioned SB team included Belichick as assistant head coach, and Law, Milloy, Bruschi, Johnson, and McGinist as well (albeit most of them just getting started). They added Seymour, Vrabel, etc to the above mentioned group, and matured under Belichicks leadership. You are correct in that they were a sub-par SB entrant in comparison to most, but that's largely due to their offense - which was precisely my point. Their defense, however, WAS SB quality, with a brilliant defensive minded coach. Brady didn't stop "the greatest show on turf" in it's tracks, nor cause the three turnovers that led directly to virtually all of the Patriots points.  He wasn't even sure that he would be starting, seeing as how Bledsoe had won the AFC championship game. That "middling" defense was sixth in points allowed in 01, 1st in 03, 2nd in 04.

3) The 96 team also contained a #1 overall draft pick, pro-bowl quality, franchise QB who the team had JUST re-signed to a huge deal for 2001. Bledsoe made it to the SB once, do you honestly think that he couldn't do it again as that defense stepped up? Brady may well have been a better fit for Belichick's offense in 01 (mobility, short ball control passing with few turnovers) but I doubt that you will find many people who would consider him a better QB at that time. It's clear that over the next several years he surpassed him, but not at that point.

The nature of your OP seems to be "I feel threatened because some people think that Rodgers is better than Brady, so here's a non-sensical reason why that can't possibly be true." It reminds me of the Manning/Brady debates, the foundation of which dates from back when the Pats were winning SBs, where the argument was "yeah, Manning has ALL the stats, but Brady just wins". Colts fans read this as "yeah, Manning is a vastly superior QB, but Brady has a better defense and coach". It's amusing how the argument has morphed over the years, now that Brady has improved dramatically - with Pats fans proud to shout about the stats to prove it - without noting that he hasn't won "anything" since. What's wrong with acknowledging that players don't spring from the womb fully formed? Brady is a vastly better QB now than he was during any of the SB runs, yet the team has "failed" to win another - with a couple of one and done's of their own. Maybe, just maybe, evaluating QB's is a tad more complicated than counting the rings on their fingers.

And let me re-iterate my original comment which you dismissed. You say that Rodgers molded himself after Brady? Well Brady molded himself after Montana. And Montana won the SB, then missed the playoffs, then lost in the second round before winning a second SB. On the eve of the second one would you have considered him a failure? That's exactly what you are doing to Rodgers. It's RIDICULOUS. And by the way, the legendary Montana then went on to have three straight one and done's before win #3. And then there's the fact that Young managed to win a SB for the same team a bit later on. They were an utterly dominant TEAM stacked from top to bottom. Put Montana on any one of 15 other teams (or with a coach who isn't an offensive genius - creating the perfect system for Montana's skill set) and he might not reach the SB at all. Would that mean he was less talented? What would you think of Brady if Bledsoe didn't get injured? Brady may well never have seen the field for years - if at all.

And once again I'm saying this as someone who actually doesn't like Rodgers personally, and I do NOT necessarily consider him a better QB at this point than Brady (not that I like him either). I just object to the simplistic condemnation of a player based on team results, and the absurd expectation that ANY team "should" win the SB.

I will not argue that Belichick made his mark as a DC but you failed to mention his time in Cleveland as HC where he went 36-44 and made the playoffs only once going 1-1. He was not considered to be a very good HC at the time he joined the Pats. The Pats were a SB team in 1996 then under Carroll went 10-6, 9-7, 8-8. While saying they were the Jags is hyperbole they were trending downward. Bill’s first year yielded a 5-11 season and 2001 began 0-2. I can assure as someone who lives in Boston, Bill was on the hot seat. Everyone brought up his Cleveland record and the fact that while he was great DC, he was a below average HC and then Brady stepped in and changed everything.

In terms of the pats in 2001, did you know that the offense and defense were both ranked 6 that year in points scored and points allowed and the offense was ranked 19 in yards while the defense was ranked 24? Brady led that team all year. I hate to burst your bubble but the offense was actually better than the defense that year statistically and Brady began his career by throwing 167 passes without a pick – a league record that still stands today. I will not argue the SB as the defense played lights out but also remember that at the end they wilted letting up back to back TDs in a blink of the eye. It was Brady who marched the team down the field with 1:19 to play and not time outs saving a great defensive performance that came apart at the end which has been the case with all the Pats SBs.

I think in hindsight looking at Bledsoe, no, he would not have won in NE. He had some pretty good teams in Buffalo and in Dallas under Parcells and never won a playoff game and had several losing seasons. I do agree at the time there was controversy just because Bledsoe was established but once Brady won the SB, the debate was over.

I am not threatened as Brady is eons ahead of Rodgers and all of his other peers for that matter. My point was the fact that many consider him the greatest today and he has done little in the post-season to substantiate that other than one magical playoff run. “Greatest” is a big billing for a guy with one playoff win outside of his SB season coupled with two beat downs the last two years to the Giants and Niners. You can read into whatever you want but that was my point and what I have been debating.

You know what is ironic, Montana was not called the greatest QB in the game after his first SB win and neither was Brady yet we have Rodgers who is the greatest off of one magical playoff run. I can just as easily flip this on you and say it is right that he is considered the greatest when he has won one playoff game the last two seasons and has gotten smoked the last two post-seasons?  All we have is today to go on. If he wins another SB in the next few years, I will recant everything. I am not betting on it as I think his lack of leadership is coming through and the Pack team he had in 2008 that was champ caliber is starting to disintegrate which is inevitable in the salary cap/FA era.

1) Belichick's reputation was born with the Giants in the 80s, not in 2001.

True, Bill Belichick's name did become a household name with the NY Giants as DC in the early 90's, but don't discount the system of scouting & evaluating the Belichick established in Cleveland as HC that HOF player Jim Brown loved & I have a feeling that Pats owner Robert Kraft reached out to him for his personal & professional assessment of Bill as a talent evaluator there. Yes, Bill failed in Cleveland, but that was because Art Modell gave up on Bill way too quickly. My point is Bill built up quite a cache & reputation as being cool as a cucumber under pressure & still getting the men under his command to play hard for them. GM Ozzie Newsome who just won the SB is a homegrown by product of Bill Belichick too. Robert Kraft probably got to hear 1st hand accounts from Jim Brown & other Browns players how Bill maintained discipline & focus despite an enormous backlash from the dogpound fan base. Bill reputation as a results man despite external upheaval was firmly set in stone & Kraft knew it too. 

The Brady vs Manning argument is always strange to me. Getting to the Playoffs consistently & winning division titles annually like clockwork proves both QBs are darn good & definitely elite in their own right. I just wish more NFL enthusiasts would compare QB's vs the secondaries they face on the field & not SB hardware myself. Both Brady & Manning are great IMHO.

Yes, you do have a valid point MAC. QB's are often given a shorter & shorter window in which to blossom & win more than 1 Championship. But Rogers isn't a spring chicken anymore. He was drafted in 2005 by the Packers & won a SB in 2011. What's left to develop exactly?  

Oh and yeah, Andrew Luck will blow everyone out of the water someday........

Bold, unvarnished, & real...I'll take it! Nice...Very Nice..

It's either a love/hate thing with some players even if you respect their game.

Not everyone is going to be the universally accepted "nice" guy who everyone falls all over even if they are great. I think many do love Rodgers. But, I see a lot of hate for him at times too or just general dislike from fans of various teams.

Personally I think the Rodgers is a smug player/he says the wrong things all the time stuff can get out of hand with the media and some fans. Personally I don't mind it. Is everyone in this league supposed to just say all the right things and be the kind of guy you want to take home to meet grandma?

Say what you want about excuses made for Rodgers but IMO the guy I am starting to think deserves the most blame on the Packers is Capers.

Rodgers' game eerily reminds me of Steve Young too.

That's why I respect you Jules. You pull no punches & say exactly what must be said A-L-O-U-D: Dom Campers bears a direct responsibility in recent Packers playoff losses not just Rodgers alone. Also, I don't want a locker room full of perfect saints. Life isn't like that & you need guys that are aggressive & brash to cross the Lombardi finish line to the Promiseland of NFL glory & sports immortality. Well said Jules! Well said. :thmup:

Bold, unvarnished, & real...I'll take it! Nice...Very Nice..

That's why I respect you Jules. You pull no punches & say exactly what must be said A-L-O-U-D: Dom Campers bears a direct responsibility in recent Packers playoff losses not just Rodgers alone. Also, I don't want a locker room full of perfect saints. Life isn't like that & you need guys that are aggressive & brash to cross the Lombardi finish line to the Promiseland of NFL glory & sports immortality. Well said Jules! Well said. :thmup:

I am not saying that I like players who get in trouble behind the scenes and stuff like that. But, some talk at times and a discount double check in your face......well so what? IMO that's who Rodgers is. It's him. He is a bit arrogant, yes. Absolutely. So was Favre probably and he learned a bit sitting behind him. I think Rodgers will always have this semi chip on his shoulder for falling in the first round and the Favre drama.

It is what it is. I think he is a good enough guy though all around.

I don't know about this Packers coaching staff at times......

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/185813011.html

I am not sure at times if it is a lack of talent on their D or the coaches or what. But, something has been broken there. And no it's not all on Rodgers by any means.

I think the biggest criticism I have heard on Rodgers over the years is his lack of memorable comebacks.

See, original poster.......many do not kiss his rear. You see him ranked first in QB rankings a lot but IMO much of it is based on being younger then the other goldens at QB and being more of a threat with his legs. I hear MUCH more criticism on Rodgers at times in terms of his leadership/lack of comebacks/occasional porn stache then you could believe.

But, it's not like I read or hear a ton of media criticism for a QB like Tom Brady either after recent playoff losses. Brady is gonna ride those 3 early rings until the cows come home, unless he manages to sneak out another before he retires. Personally I had felt Brady and company had a huge shot at getting #4 this past season and I was a bit stunned they were such a train wreck in the second half vs. Baltimore, especially Brady.

Yeah, I remember what that one-hit wonder did to us on SNF.

What do you even mean by that anyway? Like, one-hit wonder Super Bowl winner? It can't be including the regular season, dude won it all in '10 and then proceeded to jack the whole league up in '11 with a underperforming defense. This year he posted a 108 QB rating and put up 24 on San Francisco (a good D), too bad his defense gave up 45...

If you're saying he's a one-hit wonder because he's only won one SB, then I guess Peyton is one too.

Yeah, I remember what that one-hit wonder did to us on SNF.

What do you even mean by that anyway? Like, one-hit wonder Super Bowl winner? It can't be including the regular season, dude won it all in '10 and then proceeded to jack the whole league up in '11 with a underperforming defense. This year he posted a 108 QB rating and put up 24 on San Francisco (a good D), too bad his defense gave up 45...

If you're saying he's a one-hit wonder because he's only won one SB, then I guess Peyton is one too.

Re-read the thread, I don't want to repeat everything I said. Yes, a one hit wonder but also does not deserve the billing as the greatest QB in the game. That is my main thrust. You also failed to mention his 51 sacks. I am not sure if Favre ever had even close to that many in any one season. You know why? The guy didn't care about his QBR. He cared about winning. Favre could fit the football into the space of a bread box and he knew it and he threw it. Sadly, Rodgers can do the same but won't for fear of an incomplete or INT. 51 sacks is absurd for a QB that is supposed to be as cerebral and athletic as him and don't give me his poor Oline. I saw him hold the ball and hold the ball for an eternity and instead of just chucking it away, he took the sack. I would imagine his Oline feels the same about him as his receivers...Not to mention when his team is down it tends to stay down. He is a great front runner but does not seem to have the will Favre did to lead his team back when trailing big...

Re-read the thread, I don't want to repeat everything I said. Yes, a one hit wonder but also does not deserve the billing as the greatest QB in the game. That is my main thrust. You also failed to mention his 51 sacks. I am not sure if Favre ever had even close to that many in any one season. You know why? The guy didn't care about his QBR. He cared about winning. Favre could fit the football into the space of a bread box and he knew it and he threw it. Sadly, Rodgers can do the same but won't for fear of an incomplete or INT. 51 sacks is absurd for a QB that is supposed to be as cerebral and athletic as him and don't give me his poor Oline. I saw him hold the ball and hold the ball for an eternity and instead of just chucking it away, he took the sack. I would imagine his Oline feels the same about him as his receivers...Not to mention when his team is down it tends to stay down. He is a great front runner but does not seem to have the will Favre did to lead his team back when trailing big...

Comparing Rodgers with Favre most people will take Rodgers with no hesitation, and I would too. Why do you have to throw the ball into that bread box when you could easily throw to a wide open receiver? Yes Favre had his huge come backs but you also need to check how many times his unnecessary INTs put his team into the situation. There is a reason Favre couldn't take the same championship caliber team to the SB and ended his Packers career with an INT while Rodgers won the SB with many starters sidelined in only 2 yrs.

To me Rodgers is similar to Peyton Manning in his early career: Smart and unstoppable when in his game, but could be turned off completely by an experienced defense. He obviously has issues when his receivers are knocked out of the designed routes, which is the same as Manning, and he just cannot beat Giants, as Manning took a lot of time figuring out the old Pats. In this case I agree with you Rodgers is not even close to being the best of all time, which is a role many commentators are trying to put him into.

Comparing Rodgers with Favre most people will take Rodgers with no hesitation, and I would too. Why do you have to throw the ball into that bread box when you could easily throw to a wide open receiver? Yes Favre had his huge come backs but you also need to check how many times his unnecessary INTs put his team into the situation. There is a reason Favre couldn't take the same championship caliber team to the SB and ended his Packers career with an INT while Rodgers won the SB with many starters sidelined in only 2 yrs.

To me Rodgers is similar to Peyton Manning in his early career: Smart and unstoppable when in his game, but could be turned off completely by an experienced defense. He obviously has issues when his receivers are knocked out of the designed routes, which is the same as Manning, and he just cannot beat Giants, as Manning took a lot of time figuring out the old Pats. In this case I agree with you Rodgers is not even close to being the best of all time, which is a role many commentators are trying to put him into.

Great post, well articulated. I was not comparing Rodgers to Favre perse but noting that although Favre did throw the picks he also never took 51 sacks either. There needs to be a balance there between aggression and playing smart. I think Rodgers is too concerned about his QBR. I agree with all your other points. He is similar to Manning in many ways early on in his career.

Great post, well articulated. I was not comparing Rodgers to Favre perse but noting that although Favre did throw the picks he also never took 51 sacks either. There needs to be a balance there between aggression and playing smart. I think Rodgers is too concerned about his QBR. I agree with all your other points. He is similar to Manning in many ways early on in his career.

There must be a reason he was sacked so many times, but if he could be productive under this kind of pressure, he must be pretty good.

Rodgers a one-hit wonder? Isn't that just as premature as anointing him the GOAT? He's still playing. The Packers are a solid team and God only knows whether the dude retires with the ring he already has or that one plus a few more.

On the field, Rodgers gets it done more often than not. His stats are pretty amazing and isn't he the all-time leader in postseason QB rating? That's a flaky stat sometimes but it's not totally meaningless in this case. Point is, he can play, and when he's on, he's as good as anyone.

His reputation took a little bit of a hit in the past year or so, however. I think there's something to the notion that he's a little over-sensitive and the whole "60 Minutes" thing left him coming off as a whiny athlete. But I'll be honest, Brady doesn't come off as being all that likeable either, and that doesn't impact my opinion of him as a football player.

On a different note...

I saw a couple of references to Brady failing to pick up a first down on a scramble against the Ravens in the AFCCG. I think you guys may be overestimating his foot speed! Maybe he had it if he'd reacted to the opening to run IMMEDIATELY, but he did not... he hesitated, looking for someone to come free at the last moment. And Ngata would have caught him easily at that point. I can't find the play on youtube but I watched it more than once, and they actually talked about it on sports radio around here the week after the game.

wow, a pats fan bashing a greenbay packer, on a colts forum...

good use of time...

the draft can't get here soon enough...

Great topic , bashing a guy that is no doubt the best QB in the NFL. One year removed from the MVP. Then he calls Brady the best ever after he craps the bed against Balt at home. Brady is no doubt a great QB but his playoff losses don't count while Rodgers do. Go figure.... Do you have any idea how they find their way over here. It was well worth my warning point bringing him to his knees a couple of times.

Great topic , bashing a guy that is no doubt the best QB in the NFL. One year removed from the MVP. Then he calls Brady the best ever after he craps the bed against Balt at home. Brady is no doubt a great QB but his playoff losses don't count while Rodgers do. Go figure.... Do you have any idea how they find their way over here. It was well worth my warning point bringing him to his knees a couple of times.

No idea why or how...

The last thing that would go through my mind would be to get on a browns or bengals fan page and discuss if Marshall Faulk, Eric Dickerson, or Edge was the best running back to ever play in Seatle...

No idea why or how...

The last thing that would go through my mind would be to get on a browns or bengals fan page and discuss if Marshall Faulk, Eric Dickerson, or Edge was the best running back to ever play in Seatle...

Like you say..... can't wait for the draft. 

Great topic , bashing a guy that is no doubt the best QB in the NFL. One year removed from the MVP. Then he calls Brady the best ever after he craps the bed against Balt at home. Brady is no doubt a great QB but his playoff losses don't count while Rodgers do. Go figure.... Do you have any idea how they find their way over here. It was well worth my warning point bringing him to his knees a couple of times

And I have never understood why people come on a thread they obviously dislike or have no interest in to just say they don't like it. I mean here you are posting on a thread you find to be ridiculous. There are three pages worth of responses to boot so others obviously disagree if you bother to read the entire thread. Many of them have been intelligent and have moved my position more to the middle on Rodgers. I still don't believe he is the greatest QB in the game currently but see others points which have been well articulated unlike your self-congratulatory post. So congrats.

I think the biggest criticism I have heard on Rodgers over the years is his lack of memorable comebacks.

See, original poster.......many do not kiss his rear. You see him ranked first in QB rankings a lot but IMO much of it is based on being younger then the other goldens at QB and being more of a threat with his legs. I hear MUCH more criticism on Rodgers at times in terms of his leadership/lack of comebacks/occasional ^***porn stache***^ then you could believe.

But, it's not like I read or hear a ton of media criticism for a QB like Tom Brady either after recent playoff losses. Brady is gonna ride those 3 early rings until the cows come home, unless he manages to sneak out another before he retires. Personally I had felt Brady and company had a huge shot at getting #4 this past season and I was a bit stunned they were such a train wreck in the second half vs. Baltimore, especially Brady.

LoL, Flacco had 1 for awhile too. Criticism should be expected when worn.