Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Few Final Words about Bruce Arians....

NewColtsFan

Been meaning to post some thoughts for a while now....   wanted to wait until post-Super Bowl when things calmed down some....

I was very public that I thought Arians was a much better Head Coach than I thought he was a Coordinator.   I didn't like his philosophy and worse, didn't think it suited our personnel...

That said....   I wanted to add this...

I thought we looked like a well coached team.    That's important.    I thought we always played hard, and that's important too.    I liked that whenever Andrew screwed up and came to the sidelines,  Arians was always calm and supportive -- always.   I loved that about Arians.   I never once saw Arians even give Luck a look of disapproval.   He was there with a hug and pat on the helmet and an 'attaboy' and 'you'll get 'em next time'....     Arians was positive all season long,  even when we got our head handed to us in games like New England.

You can see why QB's like Roethlisberger and Luck really like Arians....  he's incredibly supportive of his quarterback...  he's got their back.   Nothing negative ever came out....  he kept those comments behind closed doors where they should be.

There were many things I liked about Arians.   So, I'm glad he gets to chase his dream of being a Head Coach.   Just sorry it's coming so late and it's not with a very good franchise.  

Oh well,  best of luck, Bruce...

Very well said.  I definitely agree that you guys were lucky to have him around in light of what Chuck went through this season and I think you're equally lucky that he has since moved on.  If Pep proves to be even close to as capable as Shaw and Harbaugh you guys are in excellent hands going forward.

Been meaning to post some thoughts for a while now....   wanted to wait until post-Super Bowl when things calmed down some....

I was very public that I thought Arians was a much better Head Coach than I thought he was a Coordinator.   I didn't like his philosophy and worse, didn't think it suited our personnel...

I thought we looked like a well coached team.    That's important.    I thought we always played hard, and that's important too.    I liked that whenever Andrew screwed up and came to the sidelines,  Arians was always calm and supportive -- always.   I loved that about Arians.   I never once saw Arians even give Luck a look of disapproval.   He was there with a hug and pat on the helmet and an 'attaboy' and 'you'll get 'em next time'....     Arians was positive all season long,  even when we got our head handed to us in games like New England.

You can see why QB's like Roethlisberger and Luck really like Arians....  he's incredibly supportive of his quarterback...  he's got their back.   Nothing negative ever came out....  he kept those comments behind closed doors where they should be.

There were many things I liked about Arians.   So, I'm glad he gets to chase his dream of being a Head Coach.   Just sorry it's coming so late and it's not with a very good franchise.  

Bruce never flew off the handle when Andrew threw a pick. But part of this working partnership also depends on the temperament of the starting QB too. Some guys respond to reassurance, some guys respond to profanity, & some guys respond to nothing said & a head nog of yeah I bleeped up coach. It won't happen again. 

Bruce if you would like to remain in AZ for a decade or more either draft a starting QB in April because you have no starting franchise QB on your roster right now or pursue Matt Flynn through a trade or free agency. Maybe even Alex Smith in San Francisco too.

Nobody really stands it in this years draft at qb. Not sure the 49ers would be willing to trade Smith inside the division. Matt Flynn could be possibility

I also thought he did a great job and really liked the way he pushed Luck. He's had the good fortune of having Peyton and Andrew, and even a pre injury Tim Couch, and had success with all of them.

It's going to be very interesting to see what he can do with a mediocre talent. I'd rather have a guy who is willing to take chances and let his QB try to make plays than a guy like Cam Cameron who reigned in his QBs. Who knows, Arians may pick up Stanton and turn him into a star.

Bruce if you would like to remain in AZ for a decade or more either draft a starting QB in April because you have no starting franchise QB on your roster right now or pursue Matt Flynn through a trade or free agency. Maybe even Alex Smith in San Francisco too.

Nobody really stands it in this years draft at qb. Not sure the 49ers would be willing to trade Smith inside the division. Matt Flynn could be possibility

Smith and Flynn have noodle arms, they'd self destruct in Arians' vertical offense.

Good thoughts, NCF. I feel much the same way.

If Arians will relinquish play calling (he hired Tom Moore, so maybe he will), I think he'll make a very good head coach. It's too bad he couldn't keep Ray Horton, but Bowles has a nice resume himself, and is a Parcells disciple. That roster has some serious question marks on offense, but I think Keim and Arians will be given a couple of years to show what they can do. I'm pulling for him.

And, as always, I'm super grateful for the role he played on this team last season. For all his faults, we don't go 11-5 without Bruce Arians.

I read this thinking I agree with everything .   I can't wait to see who the QB will be & what a Tom Moore - BA offense looks like . I hope it works out for them .

Well said.  I think he has a good balance between being a player's friend and being their coach.  He is there for them and will support them, but he will make sure they put in the effort to be better.  Some guys like Wade Phillips are far too buddy-buddy with their players whereas guys like Todd Haley try to eat their players alive.  Bruce has a nice balance between the two.

Normally, I'd agree with you completely jvan except that Andy Reid traded then Eagles QB Donovan McNabb to Mike Shanahan & the Redskins in the NFC East the same division in large part due to the fact that Reid knew all his weaknesses. Jim Harbaugh might do the exact same thing for the exact same reasons. Harbaugh knows Smith's tendencies, flaws, & QB Kryptonite.

Great Post.....

I agree with all but I think Drew Stanton may end up in Arizona  and he will be allowed to compete and possibly win the starters job.  Arians has bee grooming him for a year, likes what he sees and I see an article here and there about it, as I am sure many of you have. I think Stanton could be one of the top choices - especially since he is uber familiar with the Arians system.

ColtsHappy

The Cards should offer Philadelphia the #38 overall pick for Nick Foles....a drop back passer with a very strong arm. He did pretty decent behind the Eagles putrid O-line and with Shady McCoy out a lot of games with his concussion.

But Foles will NOT fit that three-ring circus of an offense that Chip Kelly will run with Michael Vick and the recently signed Dennis Dixon, who QB'd at Oregon.