Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bears Cut Johnny Knox

corgi

"The Bears officially terminated the contract of WR Johnny Knox Tuesday." Per Rotoworld.

That was probably the scariest injury I've seen on a football field. I don't know that he will ever be able to play again. The Bears had a good article up about him back around Christmas, and I have to say I admire Knox's determination and outlook. Understandable on the Bears part, bad situation for Knox.

Multiple sources tell the Chicago Tribune that free agent Johnny Knox is "unlikely to play again."

Officially, Knox sustained a thoracic-lumbar junction fracture-dislocation with neurological involvement back in Week 15 of the 2011 season. "He had to work himself back up to where he could even walk. He had to work to get himself up out of bed," former position coach Darryl Drake said. The nerve damage and instability in Knox's back have capped his athletic ability and speed. At 6'0/185, those are two attributes he couldn't afford to lose.

Multiple sources tell the Chicago Tribune that free agent Johnny Knox is "unlikely to play again."

Officially, Knox sustained a thoracic-lumbar junction fracture-dislocation with neurological involvement back in Week 15 of the 2011 season. "He had to work himself back up to where he could even walk. He had to work to get himself up out of bed," former position coach Darryl Drake said. The nerve damage and instability in Knox's back have capped his athletic ability and speed. At 6'0/185, those are two attributes he couldn't afford to lose.

I heard the same thing....tough getting older with the pain....let alone going down to such a terrible injury!!  :(

It's a shame honestly.

Hard for me to watch that one.  I know I kid around a lot, but I never want to see a player go down like this.  I love the hits...good wrap up tackling....to me that is the lost art form in football.  I feel like I am 'preachin to the choir though.....love my football.... :pass:  :pass:  :pass:

Free agent Johnny Knox has decided to retire from football, telling the Chicago Sun-Times he's "moving on and going forward."

It's a sad end to a once promising career. According to the Sun-Times, Knox is still walking with a limp 14 months after his spinal fusion operation, and "struggles to sit or stand" comfortably. "I was centimeters away from being paralyzed, so just sitting here and talking, I’m appreciative of that," Knox said Wednesday. "Just the hard work that I had to put in. Just to be able to stay in and do everything in my daily life that I used to do." Only 26 years old, the former fifth-round pick ends his career with 133 catches for 2,214 yards and 12 touchdowns over 45 games.

At age 26, I had a minor lower back injury once when I was working out in the gym. I was reminded of the injury every time I'd get up from a chair, sleep on my belly, or even sitting on the floor to pet the family dog. What's worse, lower back injuries never fully 100% heal. The lower back continues to degrade as you age, and injuring it only exasperates the process.

Lower back injuries are awful to have, and this guy will probably be reminded of it for years to come.

That was one of the ugliest hits I've ever seen. I think Knox has a good perspective on it though... I mean, a fraction of an inch here or there, and he's not even able to walk anymore. As bad as the hit was, he got a little lucky in that he was able to recover to this point. Hopefully he has a full and fulfilling life with his family, and I think all of us NFL fans wish him the best...