Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Evaluating our Safety position

I think we can all agree a starter is needed opposite Bethea. The question is, is Bethea better suited for FS or SS at this point in his career? He is still young at 28, but is his skillset best suited for blowing up run plays or playing centerfield against the pass?

This determines who we go after in free agency or the draft at the other safety spot. If Bethea can play centerfield very well, then I want us to sign someone like SS William Moore from Atlanta. If Bethea is best used now as a SS, then someone like Byrd, Reed, or Goldson would serve well.

It would be nice to have a 6' 2" 230 pound crusher back there...... :)

I agree. I don't even understand how people think Bethea would be better at SS. The Colts roster has him listed at 196 lbs. and that is questionable IMO. He looks skinny in person and I don't think he has the ability to be a consistent run defender without getting injured a lot. SS needs to be a slightly undersized LBer and Bethea is not that.

I really like Bethea as a SS/FS hybrid. He plays the run very well, taking good angles in run support and is a sure tackler. A SS doesn't necessarily mean a big hitter, but a guy playing closer to the LOS than the FS. Bethea do not make enough plays on the ball in coverage (INTs), and the Colts badly need more turnovers. A guy like Jairus Byrd would provide that. Sure, Byrd is a dream signing, but what an addition he would be.

That being said, I wouldn't mind taking a look at George Wilson as a relatively short term solution. The Bills just cut him to save money, but he's still a very good safety. Much like Bethea, he plays the both the run and pass well. He's 32, but if the price is right, I'd take a long hard look at him.

The above boils down to: If the Colts are spending big on a safety, I would prefer a ball hawk and playmaker. But for less money, if you can find a guy to plug in next to Bethea, I'm all for that. The team needs players all over the board (OL x 2/3, DL, OLB, CB, S), and are not signing Pro Bowlers to all of the positions. One thing's certain: Zbikowski can't return as a starter in 2013, so as of now, Joe Lefeged is the best bet at SS.

I agree. I don't even understand how people think Bethea would be better at SS. The Colts roster has him listed at 196 lbs. and that is questionable IMO. He looks skinny in person and I don't think he has the ability to be a consistent run defender without getting injured a lot. SS needs to be a slightly undersized LBer and Bethea is not that.

My philosophy is just like yours I think...I say today's 'safeties' = yesteryear's linebackers........but add 4.4/5 speed to the equation :)

size aside, he is apretty good tackler...before manusky he was the leading tackler in 2 seasons i believe but im not completely sold on him as a SS

size aside, he is apretty good tackler...before manusky he was the leading tackler in 2 seasons i believe but im not completely sold on him as a SS

He is a good tackler, but that was in a much different defense. SS in our 3-4 has to be an extension of the LBers IMO. Bethea is kind of small even for a FS and is actually smaller than a lot of CB's in the league. IMO he is much better suited to play the FS role in our defense or any defense for that matter.

Mameluc, maybe you and Balzer can answer this...anybody else feel free.  I thought Bethea began to 'slow down' this past year.  Was it the physicality of the new defense, normal wear and tear, or is he beginning to simply lose a step...I may be wrong for all Bethea lovers out there....I like him to BTW!  

Not trying to start a war here...:)

Mameluc, maybe you and Balzer can answer this...anybody else feel free.  I thought Bethea began to 'slow down' this past year.  Was it the physicality of the new defense, normal wear and tear, or is he beginning to simply lose a step...I may be wrong for all Bethea lovers out there....I like him to BTW!  

Not trying to start a war here... :)

I agree that Bethea appeared to lose a step. Why? I don't really know. Some players just lose a step faster than others and the new defense could be a factor also. Overall though, I still think it would be a horrible idea to move Bethea to SS.

Bethea should stay at FS until it's proven he can't play it any more.   And I don't think that time has come.

And, as others here have noted,  he's under 200 pounds, way too small for a SS.

Let's go get one of those in the draft, or FA....  

Someone with a little meat on their bones....

Guys.....the last four posts deserved likes....I am out!  Thanks for the replies!!

I totally agree Bethea needs to stay where he is, and we need a hitter back there who can also cover a little. (OK more than a little :))

We need to put the fear back in the receiver's eyes...and also have somebody to put a hurtin on the new wave TEs.....see Gronk-a zoid.....GRRRRR!

Several Safeties I have in mind 

1.Wlliam Moore-FA

2.Laron Landry-FA

3.Robert Lester-Draft in the 4th

4.Cooper Taylor-draft in 7th

5.Baccari Rambo-Draft in the 4th

6.Brandan Bishop-Draft in 4th

7.Ray Ray Armstrong-troubled Safety that may be worth a 7th round pick whould would go much higher if it were not for the trouble

Not all of those are SS (Bishop is not) but I have no doubt he can play it

I agree with leaving Bethea at FS and getting another SS.

As far as Bethea losing a step, it is hard to say.  The new Defense could have been at fault.  Maybe watching SS, so he could cover is SS made a mistake, or could just have lost a step.

As for FA SS, I am not up on that.  As for draft, I believe Elam or Philip Thomas would be the way to go.  If not those two then Shawn Williams or Duke Williams as both are SS.

I noticed that he seemed slow to the ball, but he didn't look slow on his feet. I don't think that he has lost a step. Seems to me like he was a bit confused at times... Zibby (who should have already known the defense) also looked confused a lot. I think Bethea was just a bit out of synch with the new terminology and when he wasn't in the right spot, it confused Zibby and vice versa...

Roster still needs an upgrade at SS (Cyprien, anyone?) but I think Bethea is still solid. He's been very durable and we have seen how well he plays opposite a big hitter who can sell out against the run...

I noticed that he seemed slow to the ball, but he didn't look slow on his feet. I don't think that he has lost a step. Seems to me like he was a bit confused at times... Zibby (who should have already known the defense) also looked confused a lot. I think Bethea was just a bit out of synch with the new terminology and when he wasn't in the right spot, it confused Zibby and vice versa...

Roster still needs an upgrade at SS (Cyprien, anyone?) but I think Bethea is still solid. He's been very durable and we have seen how well he plays opposite a big hitter who can sell out against the run...

I tried to like this yesterday....and tried again today.....very nice response!  Thank you!  :)

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

i think, maybe im wrong, but it also happened when Guy and Geathers started to start because of injuries the D Line was getting thin and i think the whole ream resented it

i think, maybe im wrong, but it also happened when Guy and Geathers started to start because of injuries the D Line was getting thin and i think the whole ream resented it

Interesting....Heard was there too....

I just think he may have felt much more 'in role' with the starters....maybe thought he had to do more with the others...'resent' is kind of a strong word there....sure you want your starters healthy.  Let me know if you meant another word than resent....

Interesting....Heard was there too....

I just think he may have felt much more 'in role' with the starters....maybe thought he had to do more with the others...'resent' is kind of a strong word there....sure you want your starters healthy.  Let me know if you meant another word than resent....

lol i think i translated wrongly to english what i mean is the D felt the impact of not having the starters... others had to pick up and more wear and tear was probably something that happened to Bethea as a result

i think he played excellent vs the texans in the final game so theres that lol

lol i think i translated wrongly to english what i mean is the D felt the impact of not having the starters... others had to pick up and more wear and tear was probably something that happened to Bethea as a result

i think he played excellent vs the texans in the final game so theres that lol

I thought you were off on your wording :)  I think you may be correct Sir.....See I can be nice once in awhile haha....thanks for the response Mameluc  :thmup:

I think Bethea should stay where he is. As for who I want beside him? I want a player who's at least half way decent in coverage and who's gonna make me shout at my TV and argue a "Hit on a Defenseless Reciever" Call from time to time. I want Dashon Goldson!

Just read that he could be a Free Agent, and I almost giggled. He is a little underweight I suppose but at 6'2 he has the height, and he definitely has that attitude!