Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Strength of Schedule

Smonroe

For what it's worth, the Colts have a very low ranking for SoS.

I don't take much stock in it personally.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000137115/article/carolina-panthers-have-toughest-2013-strength-of-schedule

No but our poster 'friends' of other teams do......"Manning only beat 2 teams with winning records and he's in the running for MVP?" or "Luck has had 11 wins only because of the cupcake schedule etc..."

Somehow the SoS will be brought up a thousand times, if only to help those veiled attacks....

No but our poster 'friends' of other teams do......"Manning only beat 2 teams with winning records and he's in the running for MVP?" or "Luck has had 11 wins only because of the cupcake schedule etc..."

Somehow the SoS will be brought up a thousand times, if only to help those veiled attacks....

I guess I think there is some validity to the SoS information as an evaluation tool for the past season, but it has precious little validity as a projection. 

So then that means the Texans were only on Top because of their "Cupcake" Schedule. They play the SAME people we do aside from 2 Teams. People just will find any & everything to say to prevent from giving credit where it's due

So you're saying that it's not valid reasoning to suspect that your 0.44 SOS probably helped a little in getting to 11-5?

and rivalries are tough.......

The Colts playing Jacksonville (2-14) is not like the Colts playing KC (2-14) because Jacksonville knows Indy and can play them better.....

...also..playing Houtson in September was not like playing them in December..

Colts beat Houston (12-4) and GB (11-5) but lost to Jax (2-14)

Roll up JUST those 3 results and what does it really mean?

all said to agree...strength of schedule is very deceptive//.

So you're saying that it's not valid reasoning to suspect that your 0.44 SOS probably helped a little in getting to 11-5?

No it's NOT a Valid Reason. ANY TEAM can beat ANY Team. You have to want it. SoS is stupid. We Won our games because we as Andrew Said..... " Young Players who don't know any better". And people act like we played terrible teams.

Vikings, Packers, Texans: Playoff Team

Dolphins: Had a TOP Defense when we played them

Lions: Everyone picked them to beat us

Titans x2: Same as Lions

Strength of schedule means nothing to me.  There is a lot of change each offseason.  A team hosting the Colts last year would have had an easy strength of schedule since we went 2-14 in 2011.  But we were a far better team. Strength of schedule is meaningless since there is so much that changes each year.

O.K., but by going 11-5 didn't we help create that soft SoS?

Take the 5-11 out of our opponents records, and were does it stand?

And shouldn't that be taken into account for anyone's SoS?

Strength of Schedule is completely over rated.  Don't get me wrong the Colts had an easy schedule no question but that a lone is not the reason for the Colts results last year. 

For starters we went 3-3 against playoff teams last year including going undefeated at home against them.  I would agree they still need to prove they can beat a playoff level team on the road.  That's their next step but none the less the Colts held their own against playoff teams last year. 

From there the Colts played ten of the same games last year that they played the year before when they were 2-14.  including the six division games, the, Ravens, Browns, Pats, and Chiefs.  The Colts went 6-4 against those teams last year when they had gone 2-8 against those teams the year before. 

They switched the NFC South (who they went 0-4 against the year before) for the NFC North which might be the best division in football and went 3-1 against those teams.

So the Colts did well against the teams they played.  Keep in mind they had been 2-14 the year before they were supposed to have an easy schedule.  Also after years of having one of the harder schedules in the NFL the Colts finally got a break on the rotation and got an easier schedule.  It's just the way it works in the NFL.  For years New England had one of the easier schedules in the NFL even though they were really good just because of how the rotation works in the NFL. 

All you can do is play the teams on your schedule and frankly the talent gap has closed a lot in the NFL.  Any team in the NFL can beat another any given week.  There are still good teams and bad teams but it's not like what it used to be in the early days of the NFL where you knew certain teams just had no shot against other teams.  The salary cap and free agency have really leveled the playing field. 

So this idea that Colts were a direct result of their schedule isn't 100% true because they really played a similar schedule to the one they played the year before and far better results.  It was a great first step in the rebuilding process.  Now the next step is going on the road and beating a playoff team. 

Still beat 3 playoff teams.

Yep.  Tough to go 11-5 and not beat at least one or two playoff teams.

Strength of Schedule is completely over rated.  Don't get me wrong the Colts had an easy schedule no question but that a lone is not the reason for the Colts results last year.

No question.  People seem to get offended by the whole SoS thing for the wrong reason.  Having an easy schedule doesn't mean that all your wins are to be discounted or even only the easy ones.  You still have to have a pretty quality team to win more games than you lose regardless of who you play.  However, a cupcake schedule could mean a difference of a couple games when all is said and done.

You guys were supposed to be pretty bad this year and instead fielded a team that, in my estimation, was worthy of a 9-7 record regardless of SoS.  That's pretty awesome if you had realistic expectations surrounding a rookie QB, first time head coach, and a first time GM coming off a 2-14 season.  You guys didn't look like an 11-5 team to me because you didn't dominate weaker opponents like I would expect an 11-5 team to do (same reason I didn't think the Falcons were much of a 13-3 team) and you ultimately played to my expectations in the playoffs.  SoS in this case is simply one loose statistical corroborator of what I saw.

No it's NOT a Valid Reason. ANY TEAM can beat ANY Team. You have to want it. SoS is stupid. We Won our games because we as Andrew Said..... " Young Players who don't know any better". And people act like we played terrible teams.

Vikings, Packers, Texans: Playoff Team

Dolphins: Had a TOP Defense when we played them

Lions: Everyone picked them to beat us

Titans x2: Same as Lions

The Lions were a disaster last season and the Titans were just plain bad.  I wouldn't hang your hat on what the experts predicted so much as what the results say about the teams you played.

O.K., but by going 11-5 didn't we help create that soft SoS?

Take the 5-11 out of our opponents records, and were does it stand?

And shouldn't that be taken into account for anyone's SoS?

Those 16 games actually have a pretty minimal effect on SoS.  They put you at .46 in this case.