Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Harbaugh protests non-call: 'There was a hold'

bayone

1. Terrible play call. A fade on 4th and goal? Stupid. It's a 50/50 play most of the time, so whether it was the call or an audible, it was just an awful, awful call. Try it on first or second down, but your last shot at winning the SB shouldn't be a low-percentage passing play.

2. Terrible throw. Too high, too far outside.

3. Worst part was the route. Youtube the play. Crabtree gets off the line and stops, engages the defender, then tries to run through him?

4. The 49ers had a timeout left. Why didn't they use it before the snap, or when Kaep saw the Ravens showing blitz?

Just dumb, dumb, dumb football and poor execution, all around.

I'm sorry, Jim Harbaugh and the 49ers, but you had 1st and goal from the 7 in the waning minutes of a Super Bowl, and you blew it. Stop whining about non-calls.

1. Terrible play call. A fade on 4th and goal? Stupid. It's a 50/50 play most of the time, so whether it was the call or an audible, it was just an awful, awful call. Try it on first or second down, but your last shot at winning the SB shouldn't be a low-percentage passing play.

3. Worst part was the route. Youtube the play. Crabtree gets off the line and stops, engages the defender, then tries to run through him?

4. The 49ers had a timeout left. Why didn't they use it before the snap, or when Kaep saw the Ravens showing blitz?

THIS. Kaep's clock management has been terrible all season and this is one of the main reasons they lost. Like right before half (on a 2nd down I think) with 16 seconds left Kaep falls down instead of throwing the ball out of the back of the endzone so he can get another play off. Then the time out he took, on the last drive I believe, he couldn't get the snap off on time and had to burn a timeout. 

The problem is that the contact by Crabtree was necessitated by the hold by Smith.  I don't think it's reasonable to expect an NFL player to flop in that situation just to try to get the refs to make the right call.

Screenshots are a poor way to show what happened, IMO.

the thing to me, was they way Crabtree engaged the defender before the 5 yards like a block!  Squared up.  within the 5 yards of the LOS, so he is considered an obstructing opponent until after he crosses the goal line.  Rules-

"A defensive player may not tackle or hold an opponent other than a runner. Otherwise, he may use his hands, arms, or body only: 

(a) To defend or protect himself against an obstructing opponent. 

Exception: An eligible receiver is considered to be an obstructing opponent ONLY to a point five yards beyond the line of scrimmage unless the player who receives the snap clearly demonstrates no further intention to pass the ball. Within this five-yard zone, a defensive player may chuck an eligible player in front of him. A defensive player is allowed to maintain continuous and unbroken contact within the five-yard zone until a point when the receiver is even with the defender. The defensive player cannot use his hands or arms to push from behind, hang onto, or encircle an eligible receiver in a manner that restricts movement as the play develops. Beyond this five-yard limitation, a defender may use his hands or arms ONLY to defend or protect himself against impending contact caused by a receiver. In such reaction, the defender may not contact a receiver who attempts to take a path to evade him."

This is exactly why I have said that Crabtree messed up by trying to draw a flag and not trying to juke and evade the defender (fake inside and blast out to the pylon and make the play, do not fully engage squared up to the defensive back).  Technically, once they crossed into the end zone and Crabtree started to try to evade, that did begin to constitute D holding.  But it was was so continuous to the legal play up to that point, and also with an illegal offensive pushoff occurs at the same time, it's easy to see why the whistles were silent.

Now if Crabtree tries to juke and evade and gets hooked, I don't think even this crew would not have swallowed their whistles, and it would not have been ticky tack to flag that.

{snipped for brevity]

Personally, I think it was the hot outlet. The other receivers were at the goal line blanketed by their man too. The 49ers. let a blitzer through untouched. the only lane and outlet was the forced fade. If Crabtree runs the route correctly, I feel he possibly.could have been SF's hero.

Personally, I think it was the hot outlet. The other receivers were at the goal line blanketed by their man too. The 49ers. let a blitzer through untouched. the only lane and outlet was the forced fade. If Crabtree runs the route correctly, I feel he possibly.could have been SF's hero.

Crabtree (when watching the replay) almost seemed like he didn't expect the ball. So if he was the hot read, he really blew that.

I just thought the whole sequence of plays, from 1st-and-goal, was awful. Play calling as well as execution.

Crabtree (when watching the replay) almost seemed like he didn't expect the ball. So if he was the hot read, he really blew that.

I just thought the whole sequence of plays, from 1st-and-goal, was awful. Play calling as well as execution.

I agree, and also maybe not a typical hot. It was a forced hot. The blitzer was untouched and could potentially defelct a pass over the middle or out toward the left. so 2 receivers out of the loop. Not many other places to go. If Crabtree runs that route like he expected to get open and be primary target, who knows?

Watch the brawl early in the game and see the no call on the Ravens player that shoved an official.

Watch the incredibly easy to see hold on the safety play in the end zone. It is obvious they simply were not going to make calls especially after you see the official get shoved. Different rules for the same game, it don't make no sanze.

I bet you if John Harbaugh were in Jim's shoes, he wouldn't be doing this.

What Jim is doing now is quite selfish. What's done is done. They're not going to call the flag now.

THIS. Kaep's clock management has been terrible all season and this is one of the main reasons they lost. Like right before half (on a 2nd down I think) with 16 seconds left Kaep falls down instead of throwing the ball out of the back of the endzone so he can get another play off. Then the time out he took, on the last drive I believe, he couldn't get the snap off on time and had to burn a timeout.

I'm no zebra/referee expert by any means, but I have a question: Does a penalty that would have been called in the 1st Qtr. interference get called in the 4th Qtr.? Pass interference...It could have both offensive & defensive interference at the same time in my book. My point is I have heard analysts say "You can't make a call in that situation because if the call favors the 49ers than the SB gets remembered for the blackout & it is a black eye for the NFL & the city of New Orleans as the SB host location." What? Zebras are supposed to make the right call on the field no matter what...Are zebras this darn weak & fragile? I could care less what Qtr it is...If you see a rule violation throw the flag man.

I also agree with Dustin. CK managed the clock poorly. Chalk it up to his youth & lack of NFL experience I guess.

The weird thing is I remember the 2007 SB between the Giants & Patriots & I am still surprised to this day that that zebra Mike Carey didn't blow the play dead when Eli Manning threw that pass to David Tyree that stuck to his helmet despite Rodney Harrison's attempt to dislodge it. In that case, a referee's non call, blowing the play dead, also directly affected the outcome of a SB too. More zebra discretion there than a penalty violation I will admit.

I guess my point is the referee profession is not a popularity contest. Half the population is gonna love ya & half the population is gonna hate your guts. It's the nature of the business. My oldest nephew refs basketball games & he tells me "I gotta make the call when I see it no matter what. I'm supposed to be neutral & objective at all times during the game. I can't worry what people will scream at me ever." 

Just dumb, dumb, dumb football and poor execution, all around.

I'm sorry, Jim Harbaugh and the 49ers, but you had 1st and goal from the 7 in the waning minutes of a Super Bowl, and you blew it. Stop whining about non-calls.

i agree with all this...why a fade? omg...

I think Crabtree was expecting a backshoulder fadewhich is why he is engaging and then tries to run past the deffender when he realizes Kaep threw a "deep" fade (dont know how to call it)

Because I feel some people are losing track of the human element in this matter. Officials aren't omnipotent. There are only a few of them, charged with watching 22 men at full speed. Things get missed. 

Also, historically, the SB witnesses fewer penalties (by far) on average compared to regular season or play-off games. How much experience one has as a fan may be cause for a lack of perspective. 

LOL, this whole "experienced fan" thing is irrelevant I feel, when we are talking about 2012-2013 rules in the 2012-2013 playoffs & SB, but alright.

Like I said before, just let the grown men play, like men.  Swallow the whistles and hold the flags a little more so these athletes just learn to play through it, and not look to get bailed out over everything. that would be ideal, won't happen, I get it, but as a passionate fan of the game that would be awesome.

wasnt the ball uncatchable? and therefore a penalty couldnt have happened? i really thought that ball was uncatchable but mexican reportes nerver mentioned it lol

An uncatchable ball prevents a pass interference from being called.  It does not have any effect on illegal contact or holding penalties.

That ball was catchable, anyway.  Crabtree almost got to it even with the contact.

My response to a couple of things mentioned in this thread:

A) The blackout did not help SF. It occured during their possession on a crucial third down-- taking away from the chances of building momentum. After the lights came back on, they did not convert on third down and lost possession of the ball. It was later that they rallied. If anything, the blackout hurt their chances of continuing their drive.

B) The refs were letting a lot of contact go all game. However, they did call pass interference against the Niners (Culliver) on a questionable call, extending the Raven's drive, leading to a TD. They also let a blatant offensive pass interference go (Torrey Smith), who prevented an interception, extending a drive that led to a Raven's TD. There was a blatant hold on the play where the punter held the ball to run out the clock, which was not called. Carey Williams shoved the ref with both hands and nothing was called. And finally Crabtree was held on the final play and again there was no call. To be honest, the calls were going one way-- all against SF.

Everyone is focusing on Jim Harbaugh's reaction to the final play, but failing to realise that the anger was from a culmination of missed calls. It was so frustrating seeing blatant holds, pass interference, etc... and not receiving any calls. It would be one thing if the Ravens too, did not get these calls, but they did. I don't blame Jim for being as angry as he was. His team played against the Ravens and the refs.

My response to a couple of things mentioned in this thread:

A) The blackout did not help SF. It occured during their possession on a crucial third down-- taking away from the chances of building momentum. After the lights came back on, they did not convert on third down and lost possession of the ball. It was later that they rallied. If anything, the blackout hurt their chances of continuing their drive.

B) The refs were letting a lot of contact go all game. However, they did call pass interference against the Niners (Culliver) on a questionable call, extending the Raven's drive, leading to a TD. They also let a blatant offensive pass interference go (Torrey Smith), who prevented an interception, extending a drive that led to a Raven's TD. There was a blatant hold on the play where the punter held the ball to run out the clock, which was not called. Carey Williams shoved the ref with both hands and nothing was called. And finally Crabtree was held on the final play and again there was no call. To be honest, the calls were going one way-- all against SF.

Everyone is focusing on Jim Harbaugh's reaction to the final play, but failing to realise that the anger was from a culmination of missed calls. It was so frustrating seeing blatant holds, pass interference, etc... and not receiving any calls. It would be one thing if the Ravens too, did not get these calls, but they did. I don't blame Jim for being as angry as he was. His team played against the Ravens and the refs.

I agree. Also, one of the most blatant non-call was from the kickoff return for the touchdown. 

Watch this and skip to 1:00 and you will see that two ravens players were holding on to #49 for more than 5 seconds. I have no idea how the refs couldn't see that...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000135279/Can-t-Miss-Play-Jacoby-Jones-sets-record-with-kickoff-return

I agree. Also, one of the most blatant non-call was from the kickoff return for the touchdown. 

Watch this and skip to 1:00 and you will see that two ravens players were holding on to #49 for more than 5 seconds. I have no idea how the refs couldn't see that...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000135279/Can-t-Miss-Play-Jacoby-Jones-sets-record-with-kickoff-return

Wow...I didn't even notice that. Good catch!

The weird thing is I remember the 2007 SB between the Giants & Patriots & I am still surprised to this day that that zebra Mike Carey didn't blow the play dead when Eli Manning threw that pass to David Tyree that stuck to his helmet despite Rodney Harrison's attempt to dislodge it. In that case, a referee's non call, blowing the play dead, also directly affected the outcome of a SB too. More zebra discretion there than a penalty violation I will admit.

Ty Warren (who had a hold of Eli's jersey, for a moment anyway) said he was worried about getting flagged for something stupid... ie: roughing the passer... on that play, and that he couldn't believe they hadn't blown it dead yet. He wasn't making excuses at the time, he just said that he wished he'd handled the play differently and played through to the whistle. 

As much as there's some controversy from Sunday's game, can you imagine how crazy it would be if it had gone the other way, and a penalty essentially decided the SB? We would hear about that until the end of time!

I get being frustrated with the no call on the punt play because that wasjust blatant holding, but really that would have just put a few more seconds back on the clock for their last play. 

Complaining about the call with Crabtree is just ridiculous because Crabtree engaged the defender just as much as the defender engaged on him.  It was a good no call because they both were engaged.  It was not like the defender ran up, grabbed Crabtree, and Crabtree was just trying to run a clean route. 

As much as like Harbaugh he is just trying to find a way to scapegoat the refs for the terrible play calling in the redzone and his team being destroyed in the first half.  He should really thank whatever deity he prays to that the power went out.  Had that power not gone out we would have watched the 49ers just get ran out of that building.  Harbaugh is being a real sore loser here and he has nobody but himself and his team to blame for that loss.  The refs did not gift wrap the win for the Ravens. 

Because I feel some people are losing track of the human element in this matter. Officials aren't omnipotent. There are only a few of them, charged with watching 22 men at full speed. Things get missed. 

Also, historically, the SB witnesses fewer penalties (by far) on average compared to regular season or play-off games. How much experience one has as a fan may be cause for a lack of perspective. 

Exactly. Nothing wrong with being young and lack of experience but history does matter if one is to understand context:)

Heck it wasn't that long ago some jersey's were..ummm.....caressed in an AFCCG ;-)  lol

I bet you if John Harbaugh were in Jim's shoes, he wouldn't be doing this.

What Jim is doing now is quite selfish. What's done is done. They're not going to call the flag now.

Agreed 

truth is the 49ers in the first half were outplayed . To cry about officials instead of taking ownership for a sub par first half & a inability to get in the end zone is weak , With this SB 49er memorable moment " the Un - Catch "  Jim is probably telling his folks he won't be able to make it to sunday dinner he has a sudden injury .. 

cutest-crying-baby-12.jpg

As much as there's some controversy from Sunday's game, can you imagine how crazy it would be if it had gone the other way, and a penalty essentially decided the SB? We would hear about that until the end of time!

But that's why the game has rules and that's why we have officials who are supposed to consistently enforce those rules.

Look, I have no problem with the no call. What i DO have a problem with, is the people who say 'you cant make that call in that situation'. Rules should not be enforced based on situation. The consistency is what allows a player to know how to play. It's like a pitcher in baseball....if the umpire is giving him the low outside strike all night, then you continue to go to it and its up to the batter to adjust. But if all of a sudden its the bottom of the 9th and the bases are loaded, the umpire cant just change his strike zone based on the situation. That's why there's so much frustration surrounding pass interference and holding in the NFL...there's just no consistency and it opens the door for criticism.

But that's why the game has rules and that's why we have officials who are supposed to consistently enforce those rules.

Look, I have no problem with the no call. What i DO have a problem with, is the people who say 'you cant make that call in that situation'. Rules should not be enforced based on situation. The consistency is what allows a player to know how to play. It's like a pitcher in baseball....if the umpire is giving him the low outside strike all night, then you continue to go to it and its up to the batter to adjust. But if all of a sudden its the bottom of the 9th and the bases are loaded, the umpire cant just change his strike zone based on the situation. That's why there's so much frustration surrounding pass interference and holding in the NFL...there's just no consistency and it opens the door for criticism.

Absolutely.

After a few days removed.  Aside from all the blunders the 49ers made an they made a lot, this is one of the things that I shake my head on.  "Can't call that on that situation"

Your baseball analogy is spot on.

SF Giants WS both win hanged on a pitch...and the umpire called a strike both times.  No nonsense...a strike is a strike no matter what inning.

I do agree, to an extent, that the rules should apply regardless of the situation. If Crabtree was tackled on his route and the refs didn't call it, I'd have a different opinion.

But this would have been a ticky-tack call in a normal, regular season game, in my opinion. If the hold had been considerably more blatant, or if Crabtree hadn't hand-fought with the guy, I'd be more inclined to say that it should have been called. It was a terrible route, and if you watch the replay it almost looks like he could have completely avoided contact if he had really wanted to.

I just don't think it was that blatant of a hold. So it's more about the actual call/play for me than it is about the situation.

I do agree, to an extent, that the rules should apply regardless of the situation. If Crabtree was tackled on his route and the refs didn't call it, I'd have a different opinion.

But this would have been a ticky-tack call in a normal, regular season game, in my opinion. If the hold had been considerably more blatant, or if Crabtree hadn't hand-fought with the guy, I'd be more inclined to say that it should have been called. It was a terrible route, and if you watch the replay it almost looks like he could have completely avoided contact if he had really wanted to.

I just don't think it was that blatant of a hold. So it's more about the actual call/play for me than it is about the situation.

I agree 100%. I dont think it should have been called...I was more responding to the popular sentiment of 'you dont make that call in that situation'.

I'm saying that situation should never dictate how a rule is enforced. If you're calling ticky tack fouls all game, then call them at the end. If you are letting them play all game long, then dont make a borderline call at the end. Just be consistent...that's all this NFL fan has ever asked. I think the non-call was consistent with how the rest of the game was officiated, and thats why I have no problem with the non-call and no sympathy for the 49ers. I just dont like the thought among some that 'you cant enforce a rule at certain parts of the game because you dont want it to end like that'.

Yes but in playoffs,moreso years past, they do make less calls and let them play. I mean you remember the jerseys;) Well coach Belichick knew how they would call the game and acted accordingly. Even during the game you get a sense of how the refs will call and act accordingly.

In some cases,probably more than we think, the refs will go to the coaches before the game and tell them certain things like we will call roughing the QB strictly or whatever.

Problem is with footabll it can't be called black and white because its a contact sport. If you called every hold (and just the one you could see) penalties would number in high double digits.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't call that an iffy call.  It seemed like a pretty clear example of holding.  However, I think it's more important for the refs to be consistent than it is for them to follow the rule to the letter and they were letting those plays go all night.

It's a little unfortunate and Harbaugh is technically right... but there are routinely much worse calls and non-calls made in the NFL.  This one was at least understandable.

Crabtree initiated the contact and tried to push/swim off after 5 yards as well.

"No. ... If you look at the play closely, you see him kind of push off of my helmet immediately," he said. "So as a DB, what do you do? ... If he's pushing off you gotta make sure you got some type of grip so he doesn't push off of you." - Jimmy Smith

I share this opinion with Jimmy Smith and that's what I thought before I had even read it.

You can't throw a flag in that scenario. If you do, you're basically handing San Fran the Super Bowl on an iffy call.

I remember a super bowl a few years ago  (Seahawks vs Steelers)  where flags were thrown against one team on a lot of "iffy" plays.  Some of those plays, no foul occurred period.  But then that was before they had the philosophy of "let em play".  

So when people say officiating evens out, or doesn't change the game, I say nonsense.

I remember a super bowl a few years ago  (Seahawks vs Steelers)  where flags were thrown against one team on a lot of "iffy" plays.  Some of those plays, no foul occurred period.  But then that was before they had the philosophy of "let em play".  

So when people say officiating evens out, or doesn't change the game, I say nonsense.

Exactly, there were flags on a lot of iffy calls. And that's why that Super Bowl is known as one of the worst officiated games of all time.