Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Austin Collie

NCost12

I ask myself this question everyday.

But then the name "Griff Whalen" keeps coming to mind

hopefully he can get healthy and stay healthy but he is not off to a good start with that, I'd rather have a big tal wr there, actually I am just tired of these small wr's altogether, wee need a couple of big ones and Kris Adams dont count, he will be lucky to be around come the end of the pre season next year I bet

hopefully he can get healthy and stay healthy but he is not off to a good start with that, I'd rather have a big tal wr there, actually I am just tired of these small wr's altogether, wee need a couple of big ones and Kris Adams dont count, he will be lucky to be around come the end of the pre season next year I bet

cough dwayne bowe cough cough

Ill pass, to much money, Im thinkin Rodney Smith, Brandon Kaufman, Tyrone Goard, Dan Buckner, Xavier Boyce in the 7th or a couple others, all tall wr's with speed with good hands that can separate

reggie isnt getting any younger. bowe is no spring chicken but he can give us 5 good years. this would give luck two number one wrs to throw to and it would give us time to groom hilton

Kris Adams is a NY Giant.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/25146

No Need....why is everyone so sentimental over him?????

Outside of Reggie and Hilton we have nobody proven so there is a need, but we should look else where for someone to fill that need. 

Collie is a good player, but the guy just cannot stay healthy.  I like Collie and think he would do wonders for Luck, but unless we sign him to the league minimum I do not see it being a smart decision to invest in him.

i don't think we keep him... he is too injury prone for a middle of the field type of offense... its a shame though because he has the perfect skill set for our new scheme... I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a sure-handed guy like Collie to run those slot routes and slants in our WCO... to compliment the litany of talented, but unproven receivers we have atm.

ps. I would keep him for the min., though... he may be IR fodder, but he would probably contribute more than most players who sign for the vet min... it would only take a quarter of a season to get our money's worth.... if he could last that long, which is doubtful...

Anyone who thinks Whalen is 1/4 the player that Collie is has no idea what they're talking about. Huge question mark obviously with Collies injury history, but they were BOTH on IR. Whalen has proven nothing in this league.

Granted Whalen was hurt, and I'm no doctor but I think they stashed him on IR even though his injury wasn't bad enough to call for it, but don't you think with Pep coming in and going to run a system that Whalen is familiar with plus his time with Luck at Stanford that it doesn't give him an advantage and puts him in a good position to succeed?  The last cpl home games of the season I saw Whalen out on the field catching passes during warm ups.  He'll be ready to go come training camp and I personally think he's going to have a good year.

No Need....why is everyone so sentimental over him?????

It's not sentiment really, he's got talent. Decent speed, He runs great routes, has very good hands, and can make a catch in traffic. We could use a true slot/ possession receiver again. I'm worried about his knee though, not so much with concussions. Dallas Clark had concussion issues for a season or 2, he worked out just fine.

Contract: if you go out in under 6 hits we dont pay you, if you go out in under 3 you pay us! .... Loved him on the field when he was healthy, but the guy clearly wasnt made for the NFL game.

Ehh... He's had one injury to his extremities. The rest have been head shots that really have nothing to do with a player being built for the NFL.

I agree that his days as a Colt are probably done, but I don't agree with the prevailing opinion that he's somehow too frail for football.

:ranton: I'm aware this is kind of anal, and I mean know offense to anyone who does it, but I wish we would have less titles like this thread. It's a lot more easy to know what I'm getting if the title had read "Should We Keep Austin Collie?". It really just makes the board seem more organized. I can't count how many threads just say something like, "Vick Ballard", "T.Y. Hilton", "Andrew Luck", "Free Agents", "Draft", or something similar. Just think of a title of a thread sort of like a news headline. If war broke out with China tomorrow it wouldn't just read "China". Anyways. end rant. xD :rantoff:

As for the topic, I don't see us bringing Collie back, but I guess I really just don't know. He's an awfully talented player to just let walk. It could be for the best though.

Anyone who thinks Whalen is 1/4 the player that Collie is has no idea what they're talking about. Huge question mark obviously with Collies injury history, but they were BOTH on IR. Whalen has proven nothing in this league.

He has...proven himself to Andrew Luck.  And that is all that matters... QB likes you...coach likes you...ownership likes you. 6' 200lbs = 6' 200lbs.

Everyone constantly talks about a tall receiver..I wonder who is "Coby Fleener" again??

A tall Tight End that can occasionally be moved out in the slot, we need another physical receiver(late in the draft) that can separate out wide to

He has...proven himself to Andrew Luck. And that is all that matters... QB likes you...coach likes you...ownership likes you. 6' 200lbs = 6' 200lbs.

They liked him so much they didn't even spend a draft pick on him.. Also 6'0 200 doesn't always equal 6'0 200. There is a lot more to it than that

He has...proven himself to Andrew Luck. And that is all that matters... QB likes you...coach likes you...ownership likes you. 6' 200lbs = 6' 200lbs.

Size of Body means nothing, Size of Heart is what matters. You can be a Big LB, but do you have the Heart to take on RB's coming at you? Body Build may play some part, but Mentality is the biggest. Just ask Wes Welker. Small, but he's not afraid to play with the big boys (seeing as how 85% of the NFL is "Big" to him haha )

They liked him so much they didn't even spend a draft pick on him.. Also 6'0 200 doesn't always equal 6'0 200. There is a lot more to it than that

At this point, the most relevant difference between Collie and Whalen is that Whalen is under contract through 2013**, and Collie is a free agent. If Collie were still under contract, I'd expect him back for camp at least. But he's a free agent, and I doubt the team makes any effort to re-sign him. It's unfortunate, because I think he's a really good player, but it's probably time to turn the page for Indy. And I think Whalen's promise from preseason and his contract status makes Collie somewhat expendable.

**Regarding Whalen's free agency, he signed a three year deal. But I believe the final year of his contract is voided because he was waived by the team before they claimed him off waivers and put him on IR. I believe that will apply to Ben Ijalana as well.