Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Verdict On Avery

John Waylon

Now that the season is over, what's your verdict on Avery? Make an attempt to keep him, or move on?

Me personally, I'd keep him, but only for cheap. He's been pretty inconsistent, and honestly, I trust Hilton more. Next season I think we'd benefit from swapping the roles Hilton and Avery played.

I agree with the sentiment of going for a bigger, taller WR if we could. Think Megatron and Andre Johnson. I know those guys are two of the best in the league skill-wise but think that size.

You know and this is a complete long shot I would call Arizona and see if there is anyway you can get Fitz out of there if they are starting over.  I want to say there is probably about a 0.00000000001% chance this could happen but a WR line up of Fitz, Wayne, Hilton, and Brazil with Fleener and Allen at tightend will strike fear into any defense. 

I would let him go unless it's dirt cheap and you want depth. His catch rate is terrible, and he drops way too many catchable balls. He also rarely if ever makes the difficult catch, has enough problems catching the easy ones. His production overall for us was ok considering he was cut by the Titans last year but i don't see him as someone you can really depend on going forward. I do think though that we could really use a dependable number 2 to line up across from Reggie. We have a couple guys with the same skill set and a lot of speed, we need someone with a little size who can go up and come down with the ball.

You know and this is a complete long shot I would call Arizona and see if there is anyway you can get Fitz out of there if they are starting over.  I want to say there is probably about a 0.00000000001% chance this could happen but a WR line up of Fitz, Wayne, Hilton, and Brazil with Fleener and Allen at tightend will strike fear into any defense. 

Yeah I love the idea of going after Fitz. I wonder if Grigson would be able to pull it off!

I would let him go unless it's dirt cheap and you want depth. His catch rate is terrible, and he drops way too many catchable balls. He also rarely if ever makes the difficult catch, has enough problems catching the easy ones. His production overall for us was ok considering he was cut by the Titans last year but i don't see him as someone you can really depend on going forward. I do think though that we could really use a dependable number 2 to line up across from Reggie. We have a couple guys with the same skill set and a lot of speed, we need someone with a little size who can go up and come down with the ball.

quoted for emphasis..although i will say that size is not a huge factor for me..i would love someone who's route running is on point and has hands like glue..

Love it!! Take a shot, what will it hurt???

You know and this is a complete long shot I would call Arizona and see if there is anyway you can get Fitz out of there if they are starting over. I want to say there is probably about a 0.00000000001% chance this could happen but a WR line up of Fitz, Wayne, Hilton, and Brazil with Fleener and Allen at tightend will strike fear into any defense.

That shish cray but id love that although it will never happen

Inb4mikewallace. I like the idea of finding a bigger reciever. Collie could still factor into the corps, too. Wayne and Hilton on the outside, Collie in the slot, Brazil as the joker, and Allen/Fleener out there when needed..,

Do you really think Collie is here after the offseason?  I believe his ship has sailed. 

Do you really think Collie is here after the offseason?  I believe his ship has sailed. 

He has literally 0 leverage. That short time he was the leagues leading reciever in 2010? Not even a distant memory at this point.

But if he's still talented enough to do that, and I'm sure he is, and we can get him back for cheap cheap cheap, there is a huge upside.

And if he goes down to injury, we can obviously get along without.

I'll try to do it on madden and tell you what's the outcome

Took me a kings ransom just to wrestle Devin Hester away from the Bears. Speed is everything in the offense I run on madden lol. Plus I like having a dangerous return man.

I can't imagine what you would have to give to get Fitz.

He has literally 0 leverage. That short time he was the leagues leading reciever in 2010? Not even a distant memory at this point. But if he's still talented enough to do that, and I'm sure he is, and we can get him back for cheap cheap cheap, there is a huge upside.And if he goes down to injury, we can obviously get along without.

This.

Where else will he go?

Overall he had a solid season, but he had an awful end to the season. He had way too many drops.

I think with the emergence of TY, I think the Colts can afford to let him go. Should they? I think with TY being the vertical threat, the Colts should let him walk. There are some good guys in FA that can easily replace him.

This.

Where else will he go?

Denver. He is precisely the kind of reciever Peyton LOVES.

He would definitely land somewhere else, but it's not going to be even a decent deal. Teams are gonna want an easy out in case the injuries continue. He likely will be told he's fighting for a roster spot if he lands elsewhere.

I'd rather move Hilton outside and round out the offense with a Collie-type in the slot.  Luck looked pretty comfortable with Collie on the field.  You still have Brazil, if you want the added speed, or when you go 4-wide.

Offense:

- O-line, O-line, Oline

- a crafty-type slot receiver

- a speedster with big play potential to pair with Vick, the workhorse

Denver. He is precisely the kind of reciever Peyton LOVES. He would definitely land somewhere else, but it's not going to be even a decent deal. Teams are gonna want an easy out in case the injuries continue. He likely will be told he's fighting for a roster spot if he lands elsewhere.

I don't think I phrased my question right. I didn't mean to imply no one would have him. I just meant where is he going to go that is going to offer him a big/long term deal? It's not like we're going to be fighting with every team for a top free agent.

So staying with us should really come down to Collie wanting to stay/continue playing, or us wanting to keep him, and what kind of financial risk makes it worth it.

the way hilton has played id let avery walk. find a vet receiver in FA. Hilton has worked his way up the depth chart and well deserves it with an almost 1,000 yard season. he was by far the best rookie WR if not the best in the NFL. and honestly if he did not get held in the first half of todays game he would have had a long TD reception, only reason he got held was cause he burnt the DB. 

I think we run enough 3 and 4 WR sets to keep Avery.   And he's going to be reasonably priced.   I don't see anyone making him an offer that shocks us.   He's only worth so much.

That said....   if Hilton is starting next season -- and I think he should -- and Avery is the 3rd WR,  then I think that's fine and cost effective.