Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

O-line and more playmakers on defense will have the Colts on top

bluephantom87

This by far was one of my favorite seasons in a long time!!! Tough game today but the upside for this team is huge. Grigs has done an amazing job patching a team together that was totally dismantled and finished 11-5 in the regular season with a rookie qb. The o-line must be the top priority in the offseason while adding a big cb to go along with Vonte, a playmaking safety, and couple of huge d-linemen to stuff the run. With the draft and free agency the Colts will be a strong team next season with the division very much in sight. So thanks Mr Irsay for the house cleaning and new era of Colts football!! Kudos to the coaching staff, the rookies, Reggie, Mathis, and the rest of the Colts who gave it their all. Last but not least to D Freeney hey man if this was the last game with the team THANKS for the memories!! You are one of the favs. Much love to Bruce hope you stay but I understand. Chuckstrong!!!!!

Yep, I can't wait for Andy Levitre to be our first FA signee.  That will guide how we'll draft.  We have a huge needs at the, what 23rd spot?, so i see us going WR, S, CB, DT at that spot.  Best player available.  We'll see what other FAs come our way.  Maybe we make a move for Dwayne Bowe to get that big, possession receiver we've never had. 

Hit FA hard for OL, DL and a little DB help, IMO.

Bethea is not the ballhawk we know and Zbikowski/Lefeged dont make many plays, some infusion of talent is necessary for the safety position besides the obvious CB position.

OL, DL and a little DB help - free agency

Rest - draft

After getting a couple of O-Line guys, I'd get another stud WR via FA

I doubt Avery will be back and why I like Hilton -- I think another playmaking WR is needed.  Hilton made lots of big plays, but also seemed to have lots of drops.  Hopefully that's less of an issue next season.

I think they need to find a replacement for Zibby as well.  He was a disappointment for me this season.  As a ND fan I was hoping for more from him.

As for the draft....I'd take the best guy available at a position of need....be it CB, S, OLine, DT. 

I agree. But we have to remember, we are still young as a team and in toghetherness.  An improved O line is paramiunt, but Luck has to continue to get better too.  This is a perfect example of our O line missing assignments, and Luck not experienced enough to recognize what's coming his way, but Peyton does. And soon enough, so will Andrew.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000124406/Do-your-job-It-s-on-you-Ray?continuous=true

Bethea is not the ballhawk we know and Zbikowski/Lefeged dont make many plays, some infusion of talent is necessary for the safety position besides the obvious CB position.

Rest - draft

I wouldnt mind bringing in FS Jarius Byrd since I believe Bethea could play SS well.

Levitre will stay in Buffalo.. they have the cap space to keep him ..

Smith with stay on Cincy .. again cap space and they have more to play with than us..

I would like Vasquez from Chargers ... and we just got their player of personnel.

I hope that ilajana will be healthy and stay healthy and be able to be one of our guards...

I trust Grigs and Pagano...

Go Colts

Rest - draft

is there any worth 3-4 DE on FA? just seymour?

Levitre will stay in Buffalo.. they have the cap space to keep him ..

Smith with stay on Cincy .. again cap space and they have more to play with than us..

I would like Vasquez from Chargers ... and we just got their player of personnel.

I hope that ilajana will be healthy and stay healthy and be able to be one of our guards...

I trust Grigs and Pagano...

Go Colts

Vasquez and Kevin Boothe would be my top 2 guys I would go after. I said Levitre at 1st, but he will probably stay in Buffalo, plus I think Boothe would fit our system a little better anyway. Get those 2 and add in Phil Loadholt for RT and our O-line would be very good.

I liked what I saw from Ijalana.  Hopefully he can be back at guard.   Put Shipley at Center.  Maybe even try Satele at guard at camp.  Saturday wasn't a Center when he started with the Colts.  Take care of RT via FA.

Putting Satele at guard would be a horrendously bad idea. He is too small to play guard in a man blocking scheme. Satele is a natural center.

Is there any worth 3-4 DE on FA? just seymour?

Randy Starks of Miami at 6'3, 305 lbs, is 29 years old and has experience in Miami's 3-4 and recent 4-3. He would be worth a look.

He has 4.5 sacks, 4 passes defensed, and 1 INT in 16 starts with 27 tackles in 2012.
He had 4.5 sacks, 4 passes defensed, and 2 INT in 15 starts with 34 tackles in 2011.

Something tells me he is the kind of guy Grigson will go after, someone under the radar.

Randy Starks of Miami at 6'3", 305 lbs, is 29 years old and has experience in Miami's 3-4 and recent 4-3. He would be worth a look. He has 4.5 sacks and 1 INT in 16 starts with 27 tackles.

whats your take on Glenn Dorsey...and Tyson jackson? both are running out of contracts, none lived up to the expectations but do you think any of those would do a good job here?

never thought of Randy starks id love to have him

whats your take on Glenn Dorsey...and Tyson jackson? both are running out of contracts, none lived up to the expectations but do you think any of those would do a good job here?

never thought of Randy starks id love to have him

No different than Drake Nevis, Glenn Dorsey fits a 1-gap 4-3 UT role better very much like Nevis, IMO.

Tyson Jackson, I have not watched him closely to comment. Anyone watching Chiefs games that saw him play closely can comment on him.

Is there any worth 3-4 DE on FA? just seymour?

Randy Starks of Miami at 6'3, 305 lbs, is 29 years old and has experience in Miami's 3-4 and recent 4-3. He would be worth a look.

He has 4.5 sacks, 4 passes defensed, and 1 INT in 16 starts with 27 tackles in 2012.

He had 4.5 sacks, 4 passes defensed, and 2 INT in 15 starts with 34 tackles in 2011.

Something tells me he is the kind of guy Grigson will go after, someone under the radar.

I would go after Starks, Seymour, and OT and maybe Spencer or Kruger if Indy can afford it.

I really like the idea of Seymour and Starks ...   

Bruno's Blog on the topic.

http://blogs.1070thefan.com/2013/01/15/colts-biggest-need-a-defensive-force-like-spencer/

Bruno thinks bring in Spencer, sign and OT, and draft Barrett Jones....     Sounds good to me.

I would go after Starks, Seymour, and OT and maybe Spencer or Kruger if Indy can afford it.

http://blogs.1070thefan.com/2013/01/15/colts-biggest-need-a-defensive-force-like-spencer/

Bruno thinks bring in Spencer, sign and OT, and draft Barrett Jones....     Sounds good to me.

That is a good blog article, thanks for posting.

He lost immediate credibility with me when the headline said 

"Colts’ biggest need? A defensive force like Spencer"

I want Spencer too, but if this guy thinks that OLBer is a bigger need than O-line, then this guy don't know his rear end from a hole in the ground.

He lost immediate credibility with me when the headline said 

"Colts’ biggest need? A defensive force like Spencer"

I want Spencer too, but if this guy thinks that OLBer is a bigger need than O-line, then this guy don't know his rear end from a hole in the ground.

Bigger need on D is probably what he meant, that is how I read it. Setting the edge with a DE or OLB consistently is something badly needed for our defense on run D. Spencer will do it better than Freeney, IMO.

Bigger need on D is probably what he meant, that is how I read it. Setting the edge with a DE or OLB consistently is something badly needed for our defense on run D. Spencer will do it better than Freeney, IMO.

I hope thats what he meant. I think Spencer would be a great fit here.

the Colts main needs are an o-line and a safety. Center will be a huge need before next season for sure since this year was a rotating mess.  I think 2013 they will have a capable o line and the offense will do great.  The D will be the next years focus and will hold them back in 2013.  Hopefully Chapman is able to play and Hughes can make some plays since freeney will be gone. 

I got tired of seeing Luck thrown down and hit this season and am sure the Colts mgmt did too.

Once you give Manusky a few more key pieces on D, and Bruce Arians an O-line, this team could be instant division title contenders and if breaks fall our way, SB contenders, IMO. :)

Once Bruce Arians is back, I think we will rejoice if we count on a better O-line, IMO.