Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First half vs second half, what changed on O-line? Yep, Shipley

chad72

Our O-line protection calls got better, and execution got better with A.Q.Shipley at center.

I almost felt like "yay, Satele is hurt" in a twisted way because I had a gut feeling our execution was going to improve in the second half. It did, much more solid thus putting up 13 offensive points and the D getting a pick six put us over the hump.

Maybe it wasn't just Olsen getting beat, it could be that the combo of Satele and Olsen was the issue because they had to communicate well on double teams and other things as well. I dont think it was just a co-incidence, we have seen it in several games. Satele might be a better run blocking center but this team goes as Luck goes, and a pass blocking center with able run blocking is what Shipley brings to the table.

I feel we need to start the playoffs with Shipley as center.

Thoughts???

I think there's a few on here who would agree with you and I'm becoming one of them. It does seem to help us when he he comes in for Samson, though some of the snaps can get wayward. I don't think he or Satele are the long term answer though. If we are going to draft any Oline I'd like it to be a C if there is a suitable one available.

Shipley/Satele at G might be worth a look at.

Shipley is absolutley huge, i saw him and was thinking, man is there a nine-foot subway on the sidelines that he has been hitting on because i thought his stomach was going to come out of his shirt. WE NEED MORE GUYS LIKE THIS, beef it up, beef it UP!!!!!! If they don't want to feed them, I WILL , just come on down to the river by my van and i'll have a buffet waiting.

It could also be that we are better in the second half in general. Look back at most of our games and you'll see that we make halftime adjustments and flat out play better in the second half, especially in the fourth quarter. It could be that Shipley made a huge difference, but it also could be coincidence.

Didn't Linkenbach also come in for Justice or McGlynn?

We talked Shipley when he was initiallly picked up........I remember saying....all he needs is a "Saturday chance."

I said yesterday Link should have been at LG and Justice was starting on the RT....Shipley makes the players to the left and right better.....simple as that. Olsen was not AS bad in the second half. Let us not discuss the first. :)

I'm convinced Arians and/or Grigson is playing favorites. Satele is awful and Olsen shouldn't even be on the roster right now, let alone get the start over Shipley or Linkenbach. Heck, our starter had to wait 2 weeks until Linkenbach got hurt before he got his job back. Yet, this scrub, Olsen, comes right in (off IR, mind you) and gets the nod over Shipley and Link, no questions asked?

Something ain't right here

I told Tammy when Satelle went down,look out Ships coming in and Ballard will be a beast in the second half,it just makes the whole line better with him in there at center IMO

YEP....AND YOU AND i DISCUSS IT EVERY WEEK! oooops....... accidentally all capped it....:) I need to read the :rulez: :flag: Darn....I get flagged for everything....:)

Our O-line protection calls got better, and execution got better with A.Q.Shipley at center.

I almost felt like "yay, Satele is hurt" in a twisted way because I had a gut feeling our execution was going to improve in the second half. It did, much more solid thus putting up 13 offensive points and the D getting a pick six put us over the hump.

Maybe it wasn't just Olsen getting beat, it could be that the combo of Satele and Olsen was the issue because they had to communicate well on double teams and other things as well. I dont think it was just a co-incidence, we have seen it in several games. Satele might be a better run blocking center but this team goes as Luck goes, and a pass blocking center with able run blocking is what Shipley brings to the table.

I feel we need to start the playoffs with Shipley as center.

Thoughts???

I didnt notice our protection getting better in the second half...Luck was being chased like he stole something

My exact sentiments. I was sitting at Bdubs with my girlfriend when he went down and I was like "Yes!". My girlfriend said "what?!"

I did the same thing.

I don't think Satele is even close to healthy though and that could be a contributing factor to his lousy play.

That was the biggest shock to me, I thought Link would get flattened by Morgan, who dominated Justice, but he didn't get near Luck in the 2nd half.

Not a shocker to me. Linkenbach was a left tackle at Cincinnati. The prevalent feeling here is that Linkenbach, when he goes against quality D-lines, will definitely be above average on the tackle front than the guard front (though he has surprised me on the guard front probably because he must have put on some bulk). So, to me, him doing fine at right tackle is not a shocker at all.

Not a shocker to me. Linkenbach was a left tackle at Cincinnati. The prevalent feeling here is that Linkenbach, when he goes against quality D-lines, will definitely be above average on the tackle front than the guard front (though he has surprised me on the guard front probably because he must have put on some bulk). So, to me, him doing fine at right tackle is not a shocker at all.

Well it is a shocker to me because he played bad last year when he was RT.

It might be the better O line coach, or he is playing with passion for a starting job.