Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots trade for Aqib Talib

Pombi9

I actually like Davis better. Davis is the better player if he wants to be. Talib was a BIG name coming out of the draft but he has really underachieved. TB's pass D was bad with him... they trade him now. Does that tell anyone anything?

He has been awful this year.

If Talib cleans up his act and plays to his talent level, this trade immediately changes the entire Patriots' secondary. Talib can start at the left corner spot and the Patriots have a rookie (Alfonso Dennard, who was 2nd round talent but dropped to the 7th due to potential character issues) who is playing very well right now in a secondary that's poor overall. That allows them to move McCourty back to safety, where he has played some this season and last, and has looked very solid doing it. Seems like a more natural position for him. That leaves them with Arrington coming in as a nickle back, and if Chung and Gregory can get healthy, they can really make some strides in the second half of the season.

Of course, Talib presents a lot of risk due to his off-the-field issues, but we shall see what happens I guess. Sometimes guys come to NE and straighten out (ie: Corey Dillon) and sometimes they don't (ie: Albert Haynesworth).

He won't start until week 11 yes?

And he's a FA at the end if the season?

I'm not sure I like this move for NE. I think they got a good potential player. But if he doesn't show much by the end of the season, and he reaches FA, the Pats just gave up a 4th for a player who played 5games.

He won't start until week 11 yes?

And he's a FA at the end if the season?

I'm not sure I like this move for NE. I think they got a good potential player. But if he doesn't show much by the end of the season, and he reaches FA, the Pats just gave up a 4th for a player who played 5games.

Correct, it was a 4-game suspension so he is not going to play until 11/18 and will have to sit out the Pats-Bills game after the Pats' bye this weekend.

And yes, FA at the end of the year. He'd play in 7 regular season games for NE.

There's a higher level of risk with this one for sure. But right now, the only glaring weakness on the team is their secondary. One good player can change that drastically, so I'm guessing the line of thinking here is that Belichick is going all in for 2012. Kind of makes sense, the AFC is totally up for grabs and even if you're over-matched in a Super Bowl (and don't get me wrong, it's not easy getting there) it's just one game where you have to come out on top.

So if the Pats can do some damage in the playoffs, this move will definitely be worth that 4th round pick. (And they did at least get a 7th rounder back).

Correct, it was a 4-game suspension so he is not going to play until 11/18 and will have to sit out the Pats-Bills game after the Pats' bye this weekend.

And yes, FA at the end of the year. He'd play in 7 regular season games for NE.

There's a higher level of risk with this one for sure. But right now, the only glaring weakness on the team is their secondary. One good player can change that drastically, so I'm guessing the line of thinking here is that Belichick is going all in for 2012. Kind of makes sense, the AFC is totally up for grabs and even if you're over-matched in a Super Bowl (and don't get me wrong, it's not easy getting there) it's just one game where you have to come out on top.

So if the Pats can do some damage in the playoffs, this move will definitely be worth that 4th round pick. (And they did at least get a 7th rounder back).

this is the way i look at it too . . . bottom line as IndyTrav said is a 4th for 7 games and a 7th rdr, but it is in a key spot for us that might very well help out with the season, as opposed to getting a back-up TE or something where the benefit may not been seen . . .

and it is a good trial for both player and team . . . we now get to see McCourty at safety (which I hope they put him there) for maybe as many as 7 more games and will give BB more data to see if he is a keeper there, and if so, you just need to replace him at CB, which might end up being resiging Talib if all works out . . . .

As we are running out of TB years, I think BB to think here and there about moves that are more towards the furture is now . . . not all of his moves, but a few selective moves like this one that have some good upside potential . . .

man BB's got sone mana. Eh..why not...whats a 4th round anyway:)

I was hoping to give the kids a little more time back there. They only got beat once in London for the TD bomb :>

I always believe you can give up one TD bomb as long as that was the only one and you're figured out your opponent out by then. They did blitz more however.

No question Yehoodi we've seen more urgent needs these last two seasons where he's pulled the trigger on what is a SB or bust team. And he made it to one already:)

I think there's still much in their way this season but heck ya..go for it.

I actually like Davis better. Davis is the better player if he wants to be. Talib was a BIG name coming out of the draft but he has really underachieved. TB's pass D was bad with him... they trade him now. Does that tell anyone anything?

Having watched Davis play many times, I completely disagree with you. Talib is much better.