Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Wilbon says RG3 best player in the league.

House

his yardage stats are 40% YAC. He's very valuable to his team but he's not the MVP.

Actually 51.4% are YAC. The fifth highest mark in the league. ;)

I swear, sometimes it seems like people don't understand that YAC can be as much a reflection of good quarterbacking as good receiving.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a seriousness, why do NFL reporters say outlandish statements like that? I get it...To sells papers, generate internet traffic, and create buzz. However such foolish words are not fair to RG3's development as a QB and they make the reporter look like a bafoon and circus carnival animal. Let RG3 develop on his own timetable okay. Skip Bayless on ESPN drives me nuts when he heaps praise or darn nation on an athlete so quickly. Easy there...Tom Brady, Drew Brees, or Peyton Manning didn't become a living legend overnight either.

RG3 won't crash and burn like Cam Newton. Growing up as a military kid keeps you humble, hardworking, tough, and tenacious. Trust me, RG3 will skyrocket in his 2nd year. RG3 is built for NFL longevity IMO. He will become a made man [sB Champion provided he stays healthy] and field general superstar in our Nation's capital.

I think Wilbon did his job admirably, he is a writer and writes to make stories of the NFL and get peoples attention. See how much attention he has gotten just in this Forum today. Don't have to agree with him, but he has gotten your attention and gotten you talking, he did his job.

I swear, sometimes it seems like people don't understand that YAC can be as much a reflection of good quarterbacking as good receiving.

I understand perfectly well that a well placed throw can lead to YAC just as much as the receivers ability. I was simply correcting a stat.

Yes, I am fully aware that some people might view my "made man" RG3 analogy as premature and falsely heaping undo pressure on RG3 just like I criticized Skip Bayless and Mike Wilborn for. However, unlike Jets HC Rex Ryan, I didn't put a precise timeframe on it by a specific year or at the start of every new year for that matter. There is a difference between reasonable expectations and experiencing delusions of grandeur and shooting for the moon. RG3 has the right upbringing and mental toughness to reach the NFL Promise Land; I just can't tell you when he will cross the Lombardi finish line. I have no crystal ball; I cannot forecast or foreshadow RG3's NFL legacy.

Honeymooners Joke: "Bang Zoom! Straight to the moon Alice!"

6a00c2251dbe888fdb011018029567860f.jpg

I think Wilbon did his job admirably, he is a writer and writes to make stories of the NFL and get peoples attention. See how much attention he has gotten just in this Forum today. Don't have to agree with him, but he has gotten your attention and gotten you talking, he did his job.

Yes CM51, I can't dispute your valid and accurate point. I just grew up in a time a time when opinions were reserved for the editorial page not a weekly column or daily blog. Opinions can be given and they do generate followers, but just remember journalism isn't a popularity contest; lay out the facts and contribute feedback accordingly. Just don't blur the lines of distance and objectivity in your reporting please. Thank you.

In fairness to Mike Wilborn, I would need to see the original report or post in it's entirety first before I could make a definite call on this RG3 statement 1 way or another.Did you say it as a parting remark or did he offer a window into his thought process as elaborate "food for thought" based on cogent arguments and outside reputable GM's, owners, and players in throughout NFL? Then and only then can I truly get a comprehensive answer to this question.

I know that words of Wilborn's report were posted at the start of this blog, but text alone does not indicate tone, mood, and demeanor either, which is very important.

I said Colts made the wrong pick because your suppose to pick the best and dynamic player at 1. I think RG3 is that. Maybe I shouldnt have said wrong pick cause Luck is a superstar as well i just think RG3 can do it all. Im lucky to be a redskins fan right now. Its been so long since weve had a competitive qb let alone a superstar. I dont want people to think Im hating on Luck because i love Luck as well or Im just on RG3's nuts because Im a skins fan. Thats not the truth at all Ive been on the RG3 bandwagon since october of last year before I had a clue the skins would trade for him. I think he gets deemed a running QB and one dimensional for racial reasons and thats unfair. There is only 1 RG3 that could make the offense he's running work. Defenses will figure it out but hes so adaptable like I said in the previous post try and stop the option he'll beat you over the top. try and take away the passing game he'll run up and down the field. This guy is special and one of a kind. Andrew Lucks will come once every 15 years RG3's come once in a lifetime. I never thought Id see a qb that can run like this but at the same time can fling it like an Aaron Rodgers.

the first time around I did not fully explain myself for breity sake, so i will fill in now . . . RGIII may very well be the best QB of his draft class and his generation . . . and yes i do agree with you that one needs to pick the best at the spot that you choose . . . however there are some mitigating issues. . . for me, if I were a colts fan, or if the pats were drafting a QB . . . i would lean towards Luck for a few reasons. . .

First, he less of a runner that RGIII and will likely stay in the pocket more, and Second, due to number one he is more similar to the exisitng QBs and first more into the existing teams structure . . . and third, and perhaps most importatnly, as RGIII is a runner he will likely have plays set up to run or will run on broken plays more than Luck, Manning or Brady, and I for one do not want to see my franchise shuffling down the field with 265 lbs LBs, who have pent up frustation that they can take aqclean lick on a QB in the pocket, coming from all directions to introduce themselves to the franchise . . . sorry not for me . . . when i see TB in the pocket I want him to go down . . . also my heart skips a beat each time he goes down in a sack and the cameras swings away to the ball down field and I ahve to wait to see what happens to Brady . . . that bad enough and i down want him waltzing down the field under any circumstances lest there is plenty of pretty green grass around him . . .

i'll take a handfull of missed first downs per year due to him not running down field . . . so for me I done want my franchise on the move and perfer the stay at home pocket QB . . . so for me if for the most part all is equal i take the pocket guy ,. . .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2012/10/22/wilbon-rgiii-is-best-player-in-the-nfl/

I mean really.. the best running game in the NFL, top rushing rookie RB, and a O that Shanny molded to fit RG3 right out of the "craddle"... and 7 TD's and 6 rushing TD's are MVP material for a ............ 3-4 team that traded UP to get him.

The national media has officially lost it's mind.....

lol, i am sure it would of been a great list . . . :)

heh.ee.. nawww.. just the same old same old....

Oh ... this just in... Wilbon writes for the Washington Post......

imagine that....

http://www.washingto...yer-in-the-nfl/

I mean really.. the best running game in the NFL, top rushing rookie RB, and a O that Shanny molded to fit RG3 right out of the "craddle"... and 7 TD's and 6 rushing TD's are MVP material for a ............ 3-4 team that traded UP to get him.

The national media has officially lost it's mind.....

Thank you John Dee for posting the RG3 article in it's entirety my friend. I appreciate that.

“Because they can win any game, the Redskins now, because of him,” Wilbon continued. “Any game. They can beat anybody. Don’t tell me they can’t beat Houston. Now, they could also lose, because of what happened at the end of the game. And we’ve seen that. He’s put them in position, he’s won two games and the defense couldn’t come up with a save, if you will."

This statement evokes Redskins confidence among team mates not Championship pedigree and glory Mr. Wilborn. :facepalm:Championships and SB rings are earned by blood, sweat, time, and tears which equals the best QBs in the league there are no shortcut substitutes period. Brady, Brees, BIG BEN, Peyton Manning, and Eli Manning have climbed the Championship peak and won. Shame on you for placing RG3 in this tiny illustrious group so early! :slaphead: :sigh:

I agree with the prior posters point regarding RGIII and his stats (however i disagree and feel that the colts made the correct choice in drafting Luck) . . .

If we look at all of the "great" QBs in the NFL, Rodgers, two Mannings, Brady, Brees, and so on . . . his numbers are in the range with them . . .has 13 overall TDs (passing and rushing), altho he does not throw as much he is very accurate and has the highest completion percentage of all QBs . . . also, he does not have the WRs that the others have, and we must remember that a good portion of a QBs stats are relate to who he is throwing too . . .

He is on a team that went 5-11 last year as opposed to the other QBs had great teams last year (and for PM, Denver was 7-4 with Tebow last year) . . . altho he is 3-4, the other QBs are not lighting it up record wize and if those two iffy calls were not made againt the Skins on sunday, they win that game and are 4-3 atop the NFC East . .. and even without that RGIII got his team into the endzone for a go ahead TD with about a min and change to go . . . until his D left Cruz wide open, which is still a mystery to me . . .

But he has a 5-11 team at 3-4 (similar to the other "great" QBs) and is doing it with one of the worse Ds in the league . . .

so i can see how some would want to toot his horn . . .

given the number of 4-3, 3-3, and 3-4 teams, i am not sure who else is so far ahead of RGIII that one can claim putting RGIII in the discussion is not unreasonable . . . he has similar abilities of the other QBs, the accuracy of Brees, Big Ben's toughness, and Brady's open field speed . . .

my two cents . . .

NOTE: I placed a minor inaccuracy in my post and you win cookie if you can find it :cheer: he he

Yes and andrew luck is in a team that started 0-13 last year, finished 2-14, and that in the offseason released or not resigned their veterans leaders such as dallas clark, jo addai, tamme, garçon, gary bracket, etc.... New Head Coach (that is probably out for the year) New offenseive CO, New defense CO, AND still has his team with a record of 3-3, better than the record the redkins currently have. (Redkins were a 5-11 team, that already had some year with shannahan at HC).

I would say he is one of the most dynamic players in the NFL. I'd go that far.

Yes, I'd agree with that statement too. Just refrain from comparing RG3 to Michael Vick though. RG3 is primarily a pocket passer 1st who only runs when he has no other choice vs Vick whom I will always view as a scrambler myself never a pocket passer. Perhaps, I am unable to move beyond Vick's Atlanta Falcons days. I don't know...

Actually 51.4% are YAC. The fifth highest mark in the league. ;)

This is a funny stat to me because yes he does not go deep as much as Luck but that's because he doesn't have to if you can throw underneath and its unstoppable why go away from it. Not to mention yac is also caused by a QB's accuracy to hit the WR on the run. Shanny is opening up the playbook more and he's starting to throw down field a heck of alot more these past 2 games. As far as you putting the GIF of RG3's concussion he learns from his mistakes and has slid or ran out of bounds and has not got hit clean once while running since the Falcons game. heck to be honest Ive seen Luck get hit harder in the pocket these last 2 games. Popular to contrary belief you can get injured in the pocket as well. RG3 does not run stupid like Vick he's always thinking pass first. Now I will admit I am surprised with the design runs Shanny uses I never thought he would use so much designed QB draws and option. And Im not to sure if the Skins had the first pick they would have took Luck. Shanny was enamored with RG3 not to mention RG3 fits what Shanny likes to do better than Luck. Like I said both are superstars in the making I just think RG3 can do alot more and is just as good in the passing game if not better than Andrew.

Yes and andrew luck is in a team that started 0-13 last year, finished 2-14, and that in the offseason released or not resigned their veterans leaders such as dallas clark, jo addai, tamme, garçon, gary bracket, etc.... New Head Coach (that is probably out for the year) New offenseive CO, New defense CO, AND still has his team with a record of 3-3, better than the record the redkins currently have. (Redkins were a 5-11 team, that already had some year with shannahan at HC).

I understand you got rid of Dallas Clark and addai and all of those guys but you still have better WR's and tight ends than the redskins have especially with Garcon hurt. He basically only played in the 1st game. RG3 is throwing to 100 year old Santana Moss josh Morgan Leonard Hankerson and Aldrick Robinson. Yes we did get lucky and found Alfred Morris in the 6th round but RG3 being able to freeze LB'ers and Shanny's zone blocking scheme is a huge reason Morris is having the year he is having. I hate Wilbon but if you read his quote he said RIGHT NOW through 7 games he's been the best player in football. That defineately could be true Rodgers was playing bad until these last 2 weeks. You guys don't understand RG3 bumped up the redskins avg points up by like 14 points a game were averaging darn near 30 points a game. The skins offense the past 6 years has been one of the worst offenses in football and we draft this kid and now were top 5 with no weapons. If you look at it that way I'd say he's in the MVP discussion right? Personally i think JJ Watt is the MVP right now. One more thing RG3 is doing all this in one of the toughest divisions in football. The Colts division is garbage minus the Texans.

This is a funny stat to me because yes he does not go deep as much as Luck but that's because he doesn't have to if you can throw underneath and its unstoppable why go away from it. Not to mention yac is also caused by a QB's accuracy to hit the WR on the run. Shanny is opening up the playbook more and he's starting to throw down field a heck of alot more these past 2 games. As far as you putting the GIF of RG3's concussion he learns from his mistakes and has slid or ran out of bounds and has not got hit clean once while running since the Falcons game. heck to be honest Ive seen Luck get hit harder in the pocket these last 2 games. Popular to contrary belief you can get injured in the pocket as well. RG3 does not run stupid like Vick he's always thinking pass first. Now I will admit I am surprised with the design runs Shanny uses I never thought he would use so much designed QB draws and option. And Im not to sure if the Skins had the first pick they would have took Luck. Shanny was enamored with RG3 not to mention RG3 fits what Shanny likes to do better than Luck. Like I said both are superstars in the making I just think RG3 can do alot more and is just as good in the passing game if not better than Andrew.

I've noticed hes taken less hits these past couple of weeks but he has already ran 23 times (64 total) more than Vick and on pace for 144! So even if hes trying his absolute best to not get hit if you're running at that frequency more often than not something bad is bound to happen. He may be fast and elusive but he doesn't have eyes in the back of his head. =P

Luck would have been fine in a Shanahan offense. Shanny was enamored with RG3 cause he knew there was no chance to get Luck. lol

And yes Luck has been popped real good a few times these past few weeks. A few were his fault.

Also you can't really say hes doing all of this in the tough NFC East either because hes only faced one divisional team...and lost. And while our division may not be good we've faced the Bears and Vikings ridiculously good defenses along with the Jets and Packers who aren't exactly scrubs.

I've noticed hes taken less hits these past couple of weeks but he has already ran 23 times (64 total) more than Vick and on pace for 144! So even if hes trying his absolute best to not get hit if you're running at that frequency more often than not something bad is bound to happen. He may be fast and elusive but he doesn't have eyes in the back of his head. =P

Luck would have been fine in a Shanahan offense. Shanny was enamored with RG3 cause he knew there was no chance to get Luck. lol

And yes Luck has been popped real good a few times these past few weeks. A few were his fault.

Also you can't really say hes doing all of this in the tough NFC East either because hes only faced one divisional team...and lost. And while our division may not be good we've faced the Bears and Vikings ridiculously good defenses along with the Jets and Packers who aren't exactly scrubs.

I here you he is on pace to run alot but if you have watched the last to games he's taking what the defense is giving him and he hasent been hit at all while running. He's getting out of bounds. Youre right you have played good defenses especially the bears. Did you see offensively what the skins did to the Vikes almost 300 rushing yards. Same with the Giants i cant believe how good the offense is playing. We can run on anyone the bucs who have the number 1 rush defense we ran for like 247 its been incredible. The fear defenses have of rg3 taking off is incredible and is opening up so many running lanes for Morris. And thats why Rg3 is throwing underneath and throwing slants so much because the guys are so wide open because Im telling you LBers are litterally freezing. And I agree with you that Luck would be fine in Shanny's offense he would be fine in any offense but RG3 is better for Shanny's offense with all the boots and running he has RG3 do. The colts offense is perfect for Luck because he can do what Peyton did with audibles and being a strictly pocket passer.

it isn't just last year . . . the Redskins have not been a great team for a long time now and I think have only made the playoffs a few times the last several years . . . so it is clear that the team's pedigree is not the best . . . whereas the colts have been a great team, one of the top 3 for the last decade, especially between the years of 2003-2009 . . . so the colts have a much stronger base in its 52 players than the redskins . . . and as time goes on last year will look more like a blip than a representation of the colts pedigree . . .

I'm just concerned that RG3 isnt gojng to last the season...

....He gets in some ball carrying situtations where he coudl get evaporated at any moment....

Rememeber..the NFL does have some guys like Vilma of the Saints who pay guys $10,000 to knock your face off...

RG3 has to get the sidelines on his runs or he'll be needing Austin Collie's doctor

it isn't just last year . . . the Redskins have not been a great team for a long time now and I think have only made the playoffs a few times the last several years . . . so it is clear that the team's pedigree is not the best . . . whereas the colts have been a great team, one of the top 3 for the last decade, especially between the years of 2003-2009 . . . so the colts have a much stronger base in its 52 players than the redskins . . . and as time goes on last year will look more like a blip than a representation of the colts pedigree . . .

The Redskins have made the playoffs twice since 2000 (in 2005 and 2007) and about 90% of our current roster was not on the team in 2009. We pretty much started from scratch less than three full seasons ago.

I'm just concerned that RG3 isnt gojng to last the season...

....He gets in some ball carrying situtations where he coudl get evaporated at any moment....

Rememeber..the NFL does have some guys like Vilma of the Saints who pay guys $10,000 to knock your face off...

RG3 has to get the sidelines on his runs or he'll be needing Austin Collie's doctor

He's avoided hard contact on his scrambles since getting that concussion and even in that Falcons game was doing a great job of avoiding some of the hits he had taken in games prior until he tripped up and got nailed. I don't see it as being a singificant issue anymore like it was during the Rams game and, to a lesser extent, the Bucs game.

I just watched an interview that ESPN NFL LIVE's host Trey Wingo had with RG3. A great interview! RG3 talked about the value of his team mates, Scooby Doo socks, and the importance of running out of bounds and sliding. haha I am really growing quite fond of this man and I will even root for him in NFC East division matchups.

How could you not admire RG3? So smart, so funny, so humble. :thmup:

espn_i_griffin3_576.jpg

This is amusing. I find that he is, at best, the fifth best quarterback let alone overall player in the league.

To each one's own.

I'm not saying RGIII can't one day be better than anyone playing, but for heaven sake we're seven weeks in to his rookie season. To call him better than the likes of Manning (either one) Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Peterson, Megatron, Andre Johnson, Troy Polamalu, Ray Lewis to name a FEW is ridiculous.

I see a great upside to RGIII, and think he'll have a great career. That being said, it's a LITTLE too soon to vault him as the best player in football. Last time I checked the Redskins are 3-4. While mediocre, they're not a BAD football team. They can thank the mighty Rex Grossman for losing plenty of games they should have won these past 3-4 seasons.

Hey RGIII, [blogger on this site not the Skins franchise QB]

I am mad at myself NFL Reply actually re aired the Giants vs Skins game and I completely forgot to tape it on my DVR. Oops! :slaphead: What was I thinking?!!! :loco::no:

I promise that the next time your squad in on TV, I will pay close attention to DC Jim Haslett and his defensive schemes.

This is amusing. I find that he is, at best, the fifth best quarterback let alone overall player in the league.

To each one's own.

I'm not saying RGIII can't one day be better than anyone playing, but for heaven sake we're seven weeks in to his rookie season. To call him better than the likes of Manning (either one) Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Peterson, Megatron, Andre Johnson, Troy Polamalu, Ray Lewis to name a FEW is ridiculous.

I see a great upside to RGIII, and think he'll have a great career. That being said, it's a LITTLE too soon to vault him as the best player in football. Last time I checked the Redskins are 3-4. While mediocre, they're not a BAD football team. They can thank the mighty Rex Grossman for losing plenty of games they should have won these past 3-4 seasons.

Spot on analysis Moose of Woe! Poor Rex Grossman, he never gets any respect now does he? :lol: Cue comedian Rodney Dangerfield...

Dwayne Allen and Greg Cosell on the Herd .... good stuff.. Cosell talks Luck and RG3 interesting stuff. Allen http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8550326 Cosell http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8550473
I "HERD" the same thing... and posted his interview with Cosell earlier... Great stuff...

Fantastic interviews/feedback here on Luck and RG3 here. Wow! Thanks John for posting these ESPN links. :td:

Way to "shepherd" all these insightful minds together John! Not BAAAD Man!

shepherd+with+sheep.jpg