Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Wilbon says RG3 best player in the league.

House

Don't have a link as I just watched it on ESPN, but he emphatically stated "I don't mean best rookie, I mean best player."

Big words for Griffin. Robert has been sensational so far, but MVP of the league? I disagree.

No this isn't a Griffin hate thread. More just to show how reactionary the media is to EVERY SINGLE WEEK of the NFL.

Btw not a fan of Wilbons. He's the most biased talking head on tv (up there with Skip Bayless) everytime Chicago is mentioned and Wilbon is talking I change the channel.

What do you guys, and gals, think? Griffin MVP? Or Prisoner of the moment?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not even close. I used to really like Wilbon, but it seems like now he is turning into Skip Bayless, saying ridiculous things just to get a reaction. There is no way RG3 is the best player in the league right now. It's just a heat of the moment type of thing, if you ask me. People last year were saying Cam had the greatest rookie season of all time....look at Cam now. One good season does not make a good player. Heck, Derek Anderson and Peyton Hillis even had a good season.

It's been 6 games Wilbon, chill.

The kid's good, but relax, his receivers do a lot of the work, he doesn't throw as much as the league average, and his O-line is very good.

He's not even in the top 10 (O and D) in the NFL for this year only.

Wilbon, if you found yourself in the Superbowl and could start any QB for your team, would you really take RGIII over either of the Mannings, Brady, Brees, or Rodgers? Of course not. RGIII is the story right now, but he's definitely not the best player in the NFL.

Maybe he is the most dangerous player in the league given his running ability and he can beat you with his arm but Wilbon saying best player in the league is laughable at the very least. Like Wilbon but he should lay off the liquor, he is way off at this point

Some times the professional talkers of ESPN say things.... and it's just not thought out at all... I mean, AT ALL.....

I typically (but not always) like Wilbon.... but this one....? This one gets a whole mess of.... :slaphead: :facepalm:

In fact, it deserves another round of..... :facepalm: :slaphead:

Come on now, Mike.... I mean.... really.... :bored:

the best player in the league is jj watt but a close 2nd is aaron rodgers. no one has been more dominant at their position then watt has at his, there's a good chance he could win the mvp.

I like the way you think but when was the last time a defensive player got the MVP? Not saying it couldn't happen, I hope it does, but the media and the fans love offense, unfortunately. Watt is a front runner now with Ryan close behind.

I get the excitement around RG3 because he is darn exciting to watch and every time my friends and I go to the bar to watch the game the Skins game is on the TV right next the Colts game, but to crown him league MVP is just falling in love with the hype. I could see him being the most exciting player in the league. You just cannot say he is the best player in the league when he is not even the best QB in the league. That mantle still belongs to Aaron Rodgers to me.I love Wilbon, but I think he is just falling in love with the hype.

Now I could understand if he said he has the potential to be the best player in the league. The guy has one thing that Vick and Newton never had and that is a head on his shoulders.

Now I agree it's only been 7 games but as far as calling him an MVP candidate it's not far off look at his stats people. And for yall saying its all dink and dunk passin obviously your not watching games your just watching highlites of the game. read this article from SI. http://sportsillustr..._a2����He's looking to be the first qb to pass for 3500 yds and rush for 1000 no qb has ever done that not rodgers NOBODY. AND HE"S A ROOKIE. The hype is real its not just offseason hype anymore. There will be no book on him like you guys are saying about Cam Newton because theres 2 main skills RG3 has that seperates him from Newton. He has a Dan marino like quick release and his accuracy is ridiculous. With RG3 its pick youre poison you try to stop the run he will pick you apart like Rodgers. You back off to stop the pass he'll run all over you. If a play breaks down he can still make something happen. He's not just a runner he has it all. And the colts made a mistake and Colts fans need to understand that. Now it's not a huge mistake because Luck is a suberbowl caliber QB and it was the safe pick. Unfortuneately the worries people had about drafting RG3 are null and void. Also look what he's doing it with the Redskins wr's stink Garcon has been gone since week 1. Its amazing what he's doing with that offense. If the Redskins secondary wasnt the worst secondary of all time they would have a great chance of winning the NFC East and making noise in the playoffs. heres a video of highlites from weeks 1-7 and tell me he only throws screens...He dropped a dime to Santana for the lead TD against the G-men its a darn shame the secondary ruined his moment.

I agree with the prior posters point regarding RGIII and his stats (however i disagree and feel that the colts made the correct choice in drafting Luck) . . .

If we look at all of the "great" QBs in the NFL, Rodgers, two Mannings, Brady, Brees, and so on . . . his numbers are in the range with them . . .has 13 overall TDs (passing and rushing), altho he does not throw as much he is very accurate and has the highest completion percentage of all QBs . . . also, he does not have the WRs that the others have, and we must remember that a good portion of a QBs stats are relate to who he is throwing too . . .

He is on a team that went 5-11 last year as opposed to the other QBs had great teams last year (and for PM, Denver was 7-4 with Tebow last year) . . . altho he is 3-4, the other QBs are not lighting it up record wize and if those two iffy calls were not made againt the Skins on sunday, they win that game and are 4-3 atop the NFC East . .. and even without that RGIII got his team into the endzone for a go ahead TD with about a min and change to go . . . until his D left Cruz wide open, which is still a mystery to me . . .

But he has a 5-11 team at 3-4 (similar to the other "great" QBs) and is doing it with one of the worse Ds in the league . . .

so i can see how some would want to toot his horn . . .

given the number of 4-3, 3-3, and 3-4 teams, i am not sure who else is so far ahead of RGIII that one can claim putting RGIII in the discussion is not unreasonable . . . he has similar abilities of the other QBs, the accuracy of Brees, Big Ben's toughness, and Brady's open field speed . . .

my two cents . . .

NOTE: I placed a minor inaccuracy in my post and you win cookie if you can find it :cheer: he he

I agree with the prior posters point regarding RGIII and his stats (however i disagree and feel that the colts made the correct choice in drafting Luck) . . .

If we look at all of the "great" QBs in the NFL, Rodgers, two Mannings, Brady, Brees, and so on . . . his numbers are in the range with them . . .has 13 overall TDs (passing and rushing), altho he does not throw as much he is very accurate and has the highest completion percentage of all QBs . . . also, he does not have the WRs that the others have, and we must remember that a good portion of a QBs stats are relate to who he is throwing too . . .

He is on a team that went 5-11 last year as opposed to the other QBs had great teams last year (and for PM, Denver was 7-4 with Tebow last year) . . . altho he is 3-4, the other QBs are not lighting it up record wize and if those two iffy calls were not made againt the Skins on sunday, they win that game and are 4-3 atop the NFC East . .. and even without that RGIII got his team into the endzone for a go ahead TD with about a min and change to go . . . until his D left Cruz wide open, which is still a mystery to me . . .

But he has a 5-11 team at 3-4 (similar to the other "great" QBs) and is doing it with one of the worse Ds in the league . . .

given the number of 4-3, 3-3, and 3-4 teams, i am not sure who else is so far ahead of RGIII that one can claim putting RGIII in the discussion is not unreasonable . . . he has similar abilities of the other QBs, the accuracy of Brees, Big Ben's toughness, and Brady's open field speed . . .

my two cents . . .

NOTE: I placed a minor inaccuracy in my post and you win cookie if you can find it :cheer: he he

I said Colts made the wrong pick because your suppose to pick the best and dynamic player at 1. I think RG3 is that. Maybe I shouldnt have said wrong pick cause Luck is a superstar as well i just think RG3 can do it all. Im lucky to be a redskins fan right now. Its been so long since weve had a competitive qb let alone a superstar. I dont want people to think Im hating on Luck because i love Luck as well or Im just on RG3's nuts because Im a skins fan. Thats not the truth at all Ive been on the RG3 bandwagon since october of last year before I had a clue the skins would trade for him. I think he gets deemed a running QB and one dimensional for racial reasons and thats unfair. There is only 1 RG3 that could make the offense he's running work. Defenses will figure it out but hes so adaptable like I said in the previous post try and stop the option he'll beat you over the top. try and take away the passing game he'll run up and down the field. This guy is special and one of a kind. Andrew Lucks will come once every 15 years RG3's come once in a lifetime. I never thought Id see a qb that can run like this but at the same time can fling it like an Aaron Rodgers.

my two cents . . .

There are two problems (ahahah) with the above post. You can't spell wise... and you left the d off of related.

the+count2.jpg

Wilbon has a a thing for RG3 that started prior to the draft.

I am a redskin fan and have to admit he is better than I thought. I was hoping Washington got Luck, but now believe they may both end up being elite QB's for a long period of time.

Win win for both franchises

Pretty much all been laid bare. RG is very valuable to the Skins . His stats are good. His system fits him to a tee, and allows him high % and decent yards because of very nice YAC from his teammates. This also reduces INT's. And D's don't yet have the answer to that 'system' the Shanny's have in play. What RG doesn't have is wins. But, I'd put him in the discussion. Luck has had a bad day (actually many great and many bad half's!) but I don't think Griffin has.... yet. Let time move on and see how it plays out. Right now, Wilbon is only a little cuckoo. ;)

my two cents . . .

Only thing I find not right in the middle of the ballpark is Griffin can't hold Brady's jock in open field speed. ;-)

Wilbon is an insufferable blowhard. That said, if you go strictly by the numbers it's hard not to see how Griffin could be considered in the running for MVP. The problem is that he would have to keep up what he's been doing and the Redskins would have to win a LOT more games for that to happen and even then he still wouldn't necessarily beat out Peyton or Tom or Aaron or whichever of the established elite QBs finishes strong. You don't win MVP unless your team wins its division convincingly, which puts Griffin in the position of a darkhorse candidate at best.

"Best player" is something else entirely. I, for one, am going to wait at least until next season before I even consider going there.

Wilbon is an insufferable blowhard. That said, if you go strictly by the numbers it's hard not to see how Griffin could be considered in the running for MVP. The problem is that he would have to keep up what he's been doing and the Redskins would have to win a LOT more games for that to happen and even then he still wouldn't necessarily beat out Peyton or Tom or Aaron or whichever of the established elite QBs finishes strong. You don't win MVP unless your team wins its division convincingly, which puts Griffin in the position of a darkhorse candidate at best.

"Best player" is something else entirely. I, for one, am going to wait at least until next season before I even consider going there.

I think this year's MVP will be Matt Ryan. He is following in Peyton's footsteps.

0-3 first 3 playoff games in 1999, 2000 and 2002, then Peyton got to the AFCCG with a co-MVP with Steve McNair in 2003 (he did miss the playoffs a year thanks to "playoffs, you kidding me" Mora :)).

0-3 first 3 playoff games in 2008, 2010 and 2011, then Matt Ryan probably gets to the NFCCG. The question is, will he get a co-MVP? :) Plus, if he gets to the NFCCG, which defensive team will take him down like the Pats did with Peyton? :)

Interesting extrapolations, that is what I do, haha!!!

I think this year's MVP will be Matt Ryan. He is following in Peyton's footsteps.

0-3 first 3 playoff games in 1999, 2000 and 2002, then Peyton got to the AFCCG with a co-MVP with Steve McNair in 2003 (he did miss the playoffs a year thanks to "playoffs, you kidding me" Mora :)).

0-3 first 3 playoff games, then Matt Ryan probably gets to the NFCCG. The question is, will he get a co-MVP? :) Plus, if he gets to the NFCCG, which defensive team will take him down like the Pats did with Peyton? :)

Interesting extrapolations, that is what I do, haha!!!

every time I hear the word extrapolation I feel like I am about to be prepped for surgery of which I am all to familiar with :lol:

I don't buy the Falcons hype. I think they falter at some point and then Peyton himself could run away with it if the Broncos take care of business.

my two cents . . .

Alex what is Brady's open field speed for ..2 cents..

I do accept paypal :)

Also finding out there are many different forms of extrapolation........Dont I know it! :lol: Apparently from what I am reading the French have there own form of extrapolation according to wikipedia

:)

http://www.merriam-w...y/extrapolation

1: to infer (values of a variable in an unobserved interval) from values within an already observed interval

2 a: to project, extend, or expand (known data or experience) into an area not known or experienced so as to arrive at a usually conjectural knowledge of the unknown area <extrapolates present trends to construct an image of the future>

b: to predict by projecting past experience or known data <extrapolate public sentiment on one issue from known public reaction on others>

Now I agree it's only been 7 games but as far as calling him an MVP candidate it's not far off look at his stats people. And for yall saying its all dink and dunk passin obviously your not watching games your just watching highlites of the game. read this article from SI. http://sportsillustr..._a2����He's looking to be the first qb to pass for 3500 yds and rush for 1000 no qb has ever done that not rodgers NOBODY. AND HE"S A ROOKIE. The hype is real its not just offseason hype anymore. There will be no book on him like you guys are saying about Cam Newton because theres 2 main skills RG3 has that seperates him from Newton. He has a Dan marino like quick release and his accuracy is ridiculous. With RG3 its pick youre poison you try to stop the run he will pick you apart like Rodgers. You back off to stop the pass he'll run all over you. If a play breaks down he can still make something happen. He's not just a runner he has it all. And the colts made a mistake and Colts fans need to understand that. Now it's not a huge mistake because Luck is a suberbowl caliber QB and it was the safe pick. Unfortuneately the worries people had about drafting RG3 are null and void. Also look what he's doing it with the Redskins wr's stink Garcon has been gone since week 1. Its amazing what he's doing with that offense. If the Redskins secondary wasnt the worst secondary of all time they would have a great chance of winning the NFC East and making noise in the playoffs. heres a video of highlites from weeks 1-7 and tell me he only throws screens...He dropped a dime to Santana for the lead TD against the G-men its a darn shame the secondary ruined his moment.

Indy did not make a mistake there is nothing to understand. If the Redskins would have had the first pick they would have picked Luck too.

This is what 1000 yards running as a QB will get you.

griffinpwned.gif

Definitely not. I like the guy, I've liked him since pre-draft, but he is not the best player in the league.

Not even close. I used to really like Wilbon, but it seems like now he is turning into Skip Bayless, saying ridiculous things just to get a reaction. There is no way RG3 is the best player in the league right now. look at Cam now. One good season does not make a good player.

He's been impressive for a rookie, and the kid has talent but League MVP? He's not even the MVP of the NFC East, though that person does wear #10.

I would say that he is in the top 10, but not number one. Not yet, anyway.

hmmm.jpg

Maybe he is the most dangerous player in the league given his running ability and he can beat you with his arm but Wilbon saying best player in the league is laughable at the very least. Like Wilbon but he should lay off the liquor, he is way off at this point

My friends are very wise and perceptive. RG3 is a legitimate player with incredible talent and mental toughness, but let's not make a Canton HOF bronze bust of him just quite yet.

Perhaps, Mr. Wilborn watched "60 Minutes" journalist Steve Kroft report on California legalizing hemp last week to solve their state's budget fiscal crisis and he smoked something he shouldn't have prior to writing that statement. :funny::lol::spit: