Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ricky Turner

mahagga73

I saw that Luck was the first Colt's QB to rush for 2 TD's in a game since 88. The man who did it before was an interesting story. Ricky was an option QB at Wazzu at the same time Pat Beach was there . The Colts in 88 decided to throw in the option attack in the last few games of the season . Beach recommended Turner and on the day he scored 2 rushing TD's the Colt's beat the Marino led Dolphins 31-28. I remember this well because it was virtually unheard of in the league at that time. He just played those few games and was gone, but I got the chance to meet him at the team award banquet and he was a really nice guy. Back in those days all you had to be was a member of the Thundering Herd Fan Club to get in. I went to several. Just curious how many people remember this kind of quirk in Colt's history , the option QB attack that lasted the last few games of 88.

I saw that Luck was the first Colt's QB to rush for 2 TD's in a game since 88. The man who did it before was an interesting story. Ricky was an option QB at Wazzu at the same time Pat Beach was there . The Colts in 88 decided to throw in the option attack in the last few games of the season . Beach recommended Turner and on the day he scored 2 rushing TD's the Colt's beat the Marino led Dolphins 31-28. I remember this well because it was virtually unheard of in the league at that time. He just played those few games and was gone, but I got the chance to meet him at the team award banquet and he was a really nice guy. Back in those days all you had to be was a member of the Thundering Herd Fan Club to get in. I went to several. Just curious how many people remember this kind of quirk in Colt's history , the option QB attack that lasted the last few games of 88.

I remember that.

If I'm not mistaken, he went on to be a college head coach at a smaller school (?). I want to say somewhere down south, but I also want to say Buffalo for some reason.

I remember that.

If I'm not mistaken, he went on to be a college head coach at a smaller school (?). I want to say somewhere down south, but I also want to say Buffalo for some reason.

Never mind on the college head coaching thing. I got him confused with Turner Gill on that point.

Yep Jack Trudeau had gotten hurt so while he was out the Colts went to the option attack. What's more amazing to me is that with the option attack they got in poistion to score twice in once game.

I've followed Colts closely from 1984 on, and honetly had forgotten about this QB episode from 1988. I saw the story and had to "google" Ricky Turner for a refresher. Wow - we really did get spoiled with Peyton; I had forgotten how bad it really was!

Yep Jack Trudeau had gotten hurt so while he was out the Colts went to the option attack. What's more amazing to me is that with the option attack they got in poistion to score twice in once game.

I'm pretty sure Chris Chandler was the Qb that year and they just deployed this near the goalline. I checked and both runs were 1 yarders. Chandler was a rookie and starter that year I believe and not a bad QB , as he would go on to a pretty good career.

I've followed Colts closely from 1984 on, and honetly had forgotten about this QB episode from 1988. I saw the story and had to "google" Ricky Turner for a refresher. Wow - we really did get spoiled with Peyton; I had forgotten how bad it really was!

Chandler was a good QB as well as Harbaugh, George was ok for awhile, but Pagel , Majik, Trudeau, Erickson were terrible. But it was a long drought between Bert Jones and PM. But now the chain has been unbroked so maybe we do not suffer the 80's and 90's again, or most of it anyway (87-88 were decent, 95,96).

Gill and Tony Rice are my ALL Time FAV college QB's... I miss wishbone football.....

Played the wishbone in High School and loved it. I was a kid in the 80's and living on the east coast at the time..Was an Eagles fan back then. Didnt move to indiana and become a Colts fan till 1993. But anyways you dont see the wishbone very much anymore even in highschool.

Chandler was a good QB as well as Harbaugh, George was ok for awhile, but Pagel , Majik, Trudeau, Erickson were terrible. But it was a long drought between Bert Jones and PM. But now the chain has been unbroked so maybe we do not suffer the 80's and 90's again, or most of it anyway (87-88 were decent, 95,96).

Don't forget about Art Schlichter

Gill and Tony Rice are my ALL Time FAV college QB's... I miss wishbone football.....

All this talk of "wishbone" football is makin' me hungry for a tender piece of turkey and potatoes, green beans, and gravy while we're at it. haha Just Kidding!!! I don't mean to distract from mahagga73's intriguing Ricky Turner topic. Okay, I will shut up now. :thmup:

l.jpg

All this talk of "wishbone" football is makin' me hungry for a tender piece of turkey and potatoes, green beans, and gravy while we're at it. haha Just Kidding!!! I don't mean to distract from mahagga73's intriguing Ricky Turner topic. Okay, I will shut up now. :thmup:

l.jpg

OK....ColtFan4Life and I are now hungry.....I did not know this was the "What's for dinner at SW's house" thread! We will be there soon.....:)

man they were horrible back in the 80's

They were actually a pretty good team in 1988. Lost two tough games at home to Chicago and Houston(inOT)and started out 1-5. They also lost a real slugfest in Minnesota 12-3. They also lost their obligatory crazy game in N.E. when 2 pass interference penalties and a Doug Flutie bootleg beat them. If not for Joe Walton emptying his playbook in an attempt to keep his job, they would have finished 10-6. They did win 8 out of their last 10. Also, if Houston didn't blow a 20 point lead in Cleveland, they would have been the wild card. QB's were Hogeboom, Trudeau (who got hurt in Cleveland week 3) and Chris Chandler. Turner came in mid season to run the 'bone. The highlights of the season were the first Monday night game in Indy (Eric 4 1st half TD's), shutting out San Diego on the road 16-0, and beating division champ Buffalo on the final week of the season after beaing behind 14-3 in the 4th quarter.

You should have seen J.C. Watts for OU back in the day....the way they ran the wishbone was a thing of beauty..that got me liking OU, and I'm still a fan to this day..I can still hear Keith Jackson...WHOOOAAA NELLIE....Its the Oklahoma Sooners, vs the Nebraska Cornhuskers...

Now that was football...smash mouth in your face football...Man I miss those days...