Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What do y'all expect out if def now?

jbaron04

Is any one more worried about the def now that chuck is gone I mean we had ups an downs but I saw a lot of improvement now that manisky is primary guy i don't know what to expect? We still in the learning phase an chuck is the only one who knows how he want def to run?

Huh? Manusky is the DC and he called the plays so why would anything change? This defense will be the same defense they have been the whole hear except theyll be playing with a lil more intensity.

Did he? This is Pagano's D. I'm worried, as I don't trust Manusky.

The offense should be fine but I share in the concern for the defense. It's more on Manusky's shoulders now and the only reason I found him to be palatable as our DC was the fact that Pagano was the HC & defensive guru. Judging by Manusky's track record in San Diego, I'm not too optimistic but hoping for the best nonetheless.

That 59 yard long run Drew had against us was just excellent blocking plain and simple. Guy Whimper and Mercedes Lewis made a HUGE block on Redding that sprung Drew, also there was another block on Conner but Conner did appear to overpursuit on the play a little.

but. . . .MJD gashed us badly. . . . .(just saying)

So, three in a row, and only one got to us.

That's a lot better than what we're used to.

I have no feelings on Manusky either way.

I acknowledge what history tells us, but I'm don't feel anxious that it'll repeat.

I'll wait, and see.

By MJD vs. Colts standards, yes we were. That long run really padded his overall stat line, and while he did have some good runs, the Colts D (except for that run) did a pretty decent job against a runner known for killing the Colts. But in the end he did it again with that one long run. Well that and the ridiculous pass at the end

So today I have seen it suggested that Pagano may be calling both the Offensive plays and the Defense Plays. I'm not sure that he is or isn't, but I am sure that he has a very strong influence either directly or indirectly. My assumption would be that he plays a larger role in the Def than he does the offense. I don't see him as the micro-managing type. The best head coaches understand that they don't know everything.....that is why you hire a coordinator like Arians (Manusky is a little different).

I think that this defense is a better defense than I've seen within the pasr couple of years. Which gives me hope for the future. I really don't expect there to be very much (if any) decline in their performance. I understand that Pagano has a great defensive mind, but I guess now we'll see if Manusky can hold his own. I look at it as a good test for him and Arians. If it had to happen, this was a good year for something like this to happen (not that it is good that it happened). I hope that Pagano recovers fully and lives for many more years. I also hope that this isn't the last we see of him with the Colts.

not really concerned if we have all of our starters ready to go Sunday. But there is one thing about Manusky in San Diego and in San Francisco. He brings the blitz so maybe without Pagano looking over his playcalling we might be seeing alot more blitzes coming from our defense with him having more freedom allowing our secondary to make a play. hope it works for us but it can also burn us. and I keep my fingers crossed that Greg Jennings wont play

looking back at his year in San Diego he was bringing the blitzes often some were effective some weren't but he was coming.

here is a writer on him when the Chargers played the Jets:

"Well, his stubbornness with blitzing showed on Sunday, calling blitzes back to back, and at one point, 4 times in a row. Many times it worked, and then there were times when it worked but was ruined by one of the 3 questionable penalties. I like seeing the blitzes coming. I mentioned a few weeks ago that we haven't seen too many of them because the shortened offseason meant less time to practice all the bonus features of the playbook. He's trusting the corners in man coverage and as long as they don't fail, the blitz will keep coming."

http://www.boltsfrom...hargers-at-jets

this is Manusky against Miami

"For their week 4 matchup at home, the Charger defense came out with a new philosophy: Attack. Defensive coordinator Greg Manusky called up 6 blitzes. In the first half. 5 more in the second half for a total of 11. That means 21% of the time, there was a blitz, and many of them worked to produce sacks,an interception, and a long third down"

Guys I really don't think they are going to change much. I mean Pagano wasn't fired he's just gone a for a while and everyone expects him to return and I am sure as long as he has a working phone he's going to be talking to the coaches and offer his input and whatever help he can. This is like when Jim Caldwell filled in for Dungy in 2005. He didn't change the game plan or anything he executed Dungy's plan till Dungy came back the next week. The coaches are going to do the samething here.

I expect a very motivated Colts team this up coming Sunday.

They will want to win for the coach, and so far I don't see where they can't.

Watching the Packers so far I am not that impressed with them. The league seems to be suffering a back fire of the super quarterback teams that have high ranking pass offenses. If you look around, it's not looking good for a number of those teams.

The Saints pretty much exposed GB's defense with Brees pushing over 400 yards and having a ridiculously good game against them. Of course it was Drew Brees, but as high ranked the Packers defense was last week (#1 against the pass) I didn't expect to see those average and B grade Wide receivers shredding them to pieces like that.

I would expect Reggie Wayne to have a big day if they couldn't even cover Joe Morgan. Brees totally exposed just how bad their defense still is by playing deep ball with them.

I would expect Freeney and Mathis to have a big day too, as the Packers O-line is truly a depression to sit there and watch. They allowed Rodgers to get sacked 8 times against Seattle. Of course the Saints don't have a pass rush at all, so he didn't get beat up unless you count that "bounty" with Jenkins getting to Rodgers and another knock down. Saints defense is very awful and the Packers still had some trouble against them.

I expect a very motivated Colts team this up coming Sunday.

They will want to win for the coach, and so far I don't see where they can't.

Watching the Packers so far I am not that impressed with them. The league seems to be suffering a back fire of the super quarterback teams that have high ranking pass offenses. If you look around, it's not looking good for a number of those teams.

The Saints pretty much exposed GB's defense with Brees pushing over 400 yards and having a ridiculously good game against them. Of course it was Drew Brees, but as high ranked the Packers defense was last week (#1 against the pass) I didn't expect to see those average and B grade Wide receivers shredding them to pieces like that.

I would expect Reggie Wayne to have a big day if they couldn't even cover Joe Morgan. Brees totally exposed just how bad their defense still is by playing deep ball with them.

I would expect Freeney and Mathis to have a big day too, as the Packers O-line is truly a depression to sit there and watch. They allowed Rodgers to get sacked 8 times against Seattle. Of course the Saints don't have a pass rush at all, so he didn't get beat up unless you count that "bounty" with Jenkins getting to Rodgers and another knock down. Saints defense is very awful and the Packers still had some trouble against them.

Some of brees had to do with perfect passes , an having knowledge of defense scheme an weakness that a rookie wouldn't have

How is calling the plays tyrannical? He's a better DC than Manusky.

A head coach who wants to call both offense and defense when yiu have coaches who are paid to do that....that doesnt sound tyranical?

Either way pagano doesnt call plays in both sides of the ball, and pagano had better players not because he was the better coach... Players make coaches look good, not the other way around.

A head coach who wants to call both offense and defense when yiu have coaches who are paid to do that....that doesnt sound tyranical?

Either way pagano doesnt call plays in both sides of the ball, and pagano had better players not because he was the better coach... Players make coaches look good, not the other way around.

Does he call offensive plays? Pretty sure that's Arians man. And there is no denying Pagano is better than Manusky. That's kinda why we hired Pag as HC and Manusky as DC.

Well it did by 60 yards. He was still running well, but he wasn't 160 yards good.

True, I'm just saying that he was already having a good game.

Last year against the Chiefs, we had Peyton Hilliis pretty well shut down. He ran in a short touchdown early in the game, but he was averaging less than 3 yards per carry, and most of that was after contact. Then, at the end of the game, Phillip Wheeler (who is having a tremendous year so far for the Raiders, by the way) overplayed his assignment and Hillis got out for a long, back-breaker touchdown. Our run defense was solid outside of that one run.

MJD was doing what MJD does every time we play them. He just hadn't scored. And then he breaks for 59 yards. But it's not like that was his only good run. That's what I'm saying. You're right; obviously that carry inflated his stats, but he was already taking a lot from our run defense.

Does he call offensive plays? Pretty sure that's Arians man. And there is no denying Pagano is better than Manusky. That's kinda why we hired Pag as HC and Manusky as DC.

So why would you think pagano calls the defense when he never hinted he would? If anything it would sound like hes dictating what plays were called on offense not defense...

Pagano got called because of how good the ravens defense played, thats not the first time the ravens defense has landed a coach a HC job either.

Some of brees had to do with perfect passes , an having knowledge of defense scheme an weakness that a rookie wouldn't have

Same could be said about last year when everyone was throwing bombs all over that defense.

GB's biggest weakness is stopping deep ball...Last year they couldn't get a break against it, and there is barely any pressure besides matthews.