Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CB Darius Butler - Roster Move

grmasterb

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This move is largely due to the injuries sustained to Vontae Davis and Justin King, neither of which are serious. Butler was never a standout, so he'll fit right in with our secondary. This sounds like a precautionary move for depth, just in case our CBs aren't ready for the Packers game. Essex over Link and Olsen was a surprise though.

This move is largely due to the injuries sustained to Vontae Davis and Justin King, neither of which are serious. Butler was never a standout, so he'll fit right in with our secondary. This sounds like a precautionary move for depth, just in case our CBs aren't ready for the Packers game. Essex over Link and Olsen was a surprise though.

Olsen starting instead of Essex should have been a clue he was the first to go.

Yep but I doubt he will get cut, there's not a whole lot of depth and Gordy keeps getting deactivated for games so chances are he stays I think

I dunno that anyone is guaranteed at this point aside from Davis and Powers. If he's been cut/waived by two teams, that suggests they didn't see enough value in him. Granted, it may be a scheme thing or otherwise, but the point remains, he may just not live up to his billing as a 2nd rounder.

I dunno that anyone is guaranteed at this point aside from Davis and Powers. If he's been cut/waived by two teams, that suggests they didn't see enough value in him. Granted, it may be a scheme thing or otherwise, but the point remains, he may just not live up to his billing as a 2nd rounder.

Patriots and Panthers didn't play man and that's what he's best at so him coming to the colts could be what he needs.

Nhamdi was great with the Raiders who played man, then he went to the eagles who played zone and he struggled getting into the whole system... So we can only hope

What/who is this CB? Too lazy to Google right now and I'm going to lunch.

Butler was drafted by the Patriots in the 2nd round of the 2009 draft. He showed a lot of promise his rookie season, starting a few games with 3 interceptions. However, he regressed badly the next season as many of the Pats' corners have done lately.

I was shocked that one of the backup DBs didn't get cut(Brown, King or Gordy)

With the way we play run D, we need our DBs to make more tackles and that has never been a good recipe for reducing injuries on the DB front. So having 6 CBs is something we will continue with, IMO.

Boy am I good

I'm normally a Patriots' apologist (not that they need it) but it's really hard to defend their corners lately. With Terrence Wheatley, 2nd rounder in 2008, Darius Butler, 2nd rounder in 2009, Devin McCourty, 1st rounder in 2010 and Ras-I Dowling, 2nd rounder in 2011, the Patriots secondary should have been set for years but Wheatley and Butler were cut, McCourty, who was a pro-bowler his rookie season, has been disappointing to say the least and Ras-I Dowling ,who looked great in camp last year but got hurt has yet to return to form.

this aint got nothing to do with Davis, this has to do with Justin King and his groin injury(and his play), hopefully Butler is an upgrade over King, im guessing Pagano has seen enough of King. Butler does get pass defensed( 8,7,and 6 in his 3 years) pretty good for a nickel corner

A UConn Grad who has three years in the league(2 with NE and one with Carolina). Butler was All Big East in 2008 and a 2nd Round(#41) Pick of the New England Patriots. During his three NFL Seasons he has totaled 90 tackles and 3 interceptions over 42 games and 14 starts.He is also the cousin of Willis Magahee and Geno Atkins and nephew of NFL veteran Gene Atkins.

A 2nd round bust. Big time.

Showed the rare, occasional flash that he could play, but never well enough to deserve being a starter, or even a nickle CB.

Clearly they think Olsen is better again just because the fans hate someone does automatically make someone else better. While essex was better Sunday he had a lot of mistakes in the Vikings game and wasn't exactly a stud on Sunday not that Olsen has been much better he's had his fair share of mistakes too.

coaches can see more than we can. trust our coaches, we have good ones

For a corner a lot of tackles is not always good because it means he gets thrown on a lot which means hes probably not doing a great job in coverage to start with.

For a corner a lot of tackles is not always good because it means he gets thrown on a lot which means hes probably not doing a great job in coverage to start with.

I agree unless the tackles were behind the line it means catches for a gain

Tell ya what; if I'm wrong, why was he available? A 4th year CB just hanging around?

That speaks volumes.

(null)

Nobody here is representing that this is a game changing pickup....please let it be what it is. The fact that some might think he can step right in as a nickel back is more of a reflection on the overall quality of our secondary than false hope that we've found a talent that everyone else in the league has overlooked.

Of course, a new start in the right environment is exactly what some players need, and there is always the chance that he could become very solid for us.

Here is a hint at the shock of Olsen remaining over Essex. He's better. That is according to the coaches who watch film for a living and still have him in the lineup.

Welcome aboard, Darius. Make it hard for us to release you later on. You have a fresh opportunity. Wishin you good luck....

Haven't seen enough of Essex to say that he is as bad or better than what we have gotten from Olsen, But rewatching every Colts game (2 of them on DVR focusing my attention on each player of our O Line one at a time, Olsen has played truely awful, getting beat badly when he was asked to be the Pulling Guard in Chicago because Olsen was completely off balance, it was by by Idonije (it was on a running play by Brown I believe very early but I would have to go back and look exactly when, cant now Im not at home).

Haven't seen enough of Essex to say that he is as bad or better than what we have gotten from Olsen, But rewatching every Colts game (2 of them on DVR focusing my attention on each player of our O Line one at a time, Olsen has played truely awful, getting beat badly when he was asked to be the Pulling Guard in Chicago by Idonije (it was on a running play by Brown I believe very early but I would have to go back and look exactly when, cant now Im not at home).

Gavin you are welcome to whatever opinion you would like to have but I do think the coaches have watched the film and have a method to their madness. I think we should just trust them.

Gavin you are welcome to whatever opinion you would like to have but I do think the coaches have watched the film and have a method to their madness. I think we should just trust them.

That opinion has nothing to do with Essex being released but more about how awful Olsen has played its not hard to see at all to even a common fan, Im sure the coaches have there reasons and it was mentioned Essex may have or did not clean ou this locker so who knows, but I know what I have seen from Olsen