Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson's draft track record

ColtsFanMikeC

Just reading this article and I knew Grigs didn't do well in the drafts (other than his first one and a couple picks here and there).... but from 2012-2015 we only have: TY Hilton, Andrew Luck, Clayton Geathers, Henry Anderson and Denzelle Good still under contract.  Zero players from the 2013 draft are still on the roster.  We traded our 2014 first round pick for T-Rich and we traded our 2015 first round pick (Dorsett) to the Pats.  So in his first 4 NFL drafts, Grigson still has 1 player on the Colts (hopefully he comes back healthy -- Andrew Luck).  Two picks (well kind of), Werner and T-Rich, aren't in the NFL and the 4th pick (Dorsett) has been nothing more than mediocre in the NFL (on the Colts or Pats).

In Grigson's 2016 draft, we have 6-8 picks remaining (Kelly, Green, Clark, Haeg, Morrison, and Ridgeway).  Of this group, I like Kelly a lot when he's healthy... I like Haeg a lot as a versatile depth player (don't think he'll be a star but he can start and back-up multiple positions).  I think the verdict is still out on Green, Clark and Ridgeway (all still have potential, but none have done a whole lot to convince me they are going to turn into starting caliber players).  I like Morrison's hustle, but TBH, I don't think he's much more than a STer and maybe a situational LBer (I think he's just too slow).

Anyway, I am glad to see Ballard not willing to blow the bank on big-name FAs expecting them to be long-term solutions for the team. Grigson did this with Laron Landry, Ricky Jean-Francois, Samson Satele, Tom Zbikowski, Gosder Cherilus, Greg Toler, Donald Thomas, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Arthur Jones, Hakeem Nicks, Trent Cole, Andre Johnson, Nate Irving, Patrick Robinson, and others. IMO, the only big-name (or somewhat big-name) FAs Grigs brought in worth a darn were Frank Gore, Kendall Langford (injury cut him short), Mike Adams, Dwight Lowery (only 1 year), D'Qwell Jackson, Ahmad Bradshaw (injury cut him short), Hasselbeck, and Walden (he stunk his first year here but got better).  To be fair to Grigs, injuries may have played a role in some of his total busts (Cherilus, Toler, Jones, and Robinson), but he really did a bad job in both FA and the draft.

Here's the link.... glad Ballard is only using FA as a way to bring in supplemental players to help fill temporary holes and aiming to rely more on the draft and home-grown Colts:  http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/22956/poor-recent-drafts-have-colts-using-free-agency-to-supplement-roster

Just for the record, Grigson never broke the bank on any FA. Its why we never had a cap problem and why a lot of fans hated him during FA period, he never made much of a splash.  Also, the later signings were the year after the AFCCG and we tried to get over the hump.  There again, the players left no cap hit when cut. Its not correct to characterize those signings as "expensive aging veterans"  In the scheme of guaranteed money, they were actually cheap.

He had a few dead cap hits like Landry, Cherilous, and Jones but they were good players before their injuries and the contracts weren't that big of a deal compared to some other teams.

And, look up the quality of the 2013 draft.  It was a bust draft year for NFL.

So far Ballard's draft of an injured Hooker, questionable Wilson and Basham, and other late round picks isn't looking so hot.....but its still early.

Frankly, I don't see a whole lot of difference in the GM's decision making since Polian left.

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Just for the record, Grigson never broke the bank on any FA. Its why we never had a cap problem and why a lot of fans hated him during FA period, he never made much of a splash.  Also, the later signings were the year after the AFCCG and we tried to get over the hump.  There again, the players left no cap hit when cut. Its not correct to characterize those signings as "expensive aging veterans"  In the scheme of guaranteed money, they were actually cheap.

He had a few dead cap hits like Landry, Cherilous, and Jones but they were good players before their injuries and the contracts weren't that big of a deal compared to some other teams.

So far Ballard's draft of an injured Hooker, questionable Wilson and Basham, and other late round picks isn't looking so hot.....but its still early.

Frankly, I don't see a whole lot of difference in the GM's decision making since Polian left.

He drafted a injured malik hooker that was healthy at the start of the season and played a good season until he tore his ACL and MCL on week 7 vs the jags and quincy wilson look good durinf this season he had alot of flashy plays on big wideouts and terell basham had barely any playing time so you cant really say anything to be honest. He drafted 3-4 potential starters including Anthony Walker jr didnt get much playing time but has potential and nate harriston was a good pick in the 5th round what the hell you trying to say tbh 

13 minutes ago, Indy1996 said:

He drafted a injured malik hooker that was healthy at the start of the season and played a good season until he tore his ACL and MCL on week 7 vs the jags and quincy wilson look good durinf this season he had alot of flashy plays on big wideouts and terell basham had barely any playing time so you cant really say anything to be honest. He drafted 3-4 potential starters including Anthony Walker jr didnt get much playing time but has potential and nate harriston was a good pick in the 5th round what the hell you trying to say tbh 

Just saying that the draft wasn't anything special despite having picks in the top half each round, but that it's only been one year removed so its too early to judge.  So far, nobody has stood out as playing better than what you would expect from their drafted position, except for the 5th rounder, and some probably worse. 

Hooker's report was that he was a good player but had some injury concerns.  Same thing said about Bridgewater and Bradford.  Sure you can't predict a knee injury for Hooker, Bradford, or Bridgewater,  but a knee injury is still an injury.

Ballard definitely needs to do very well, very well, with having such a high pick in each round, as opposed to his predecessor who was drafting 25 to 30th.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

It is too early to tell on Ballard... we (as fans) are going to be in a world of hurt if his track record winds up anything like Grigs.  Grigs structured contracts in a way such as to  not screw our cap too much.. but he still overspent on subpar players or players who were at the end of their career.  Cherilus was good for us and got injured... he was the highest paid RT in the entire NFL with his Colts contract (so that was a big deal compared to every other NFL team).  Landry signed a $24 million ($14 mil guaranteed) contract over 4 years, he played in a total of 23 games (started 18) and was nothing more than OK when he played (that was a fairly big hit).  Ricky Jean-Francois (a back-up who never played more than 25% of snaps in an NFL season which was 4-5 years at the time) was getting paid over $5 mill a year to be an average/below-average player for Grigson's Colts (again highly overpaid).  Walden was an unproven player who was getting $4 mill/year and was pretty bad in his first 2 seasons in Indy (overpaid).  Nicks and Heyward-Bey were signed to incentive-laden contracts but were still overpaid. Donald Thomas had 1 start on the OL and a bit of action at FB before coming to Indy, Grigs gave him a 4 year $14 mil contract (way overpaid).  Toler signed a 3 year, $15 million contract after only playing in 2 games the previous season (coming off a major injury the year before)... again, overpaid.... I can go on, but I won't.

I don't think Grigs was signing any of these guys with intention to have them as 'stop-gap guys' (except maybe Nicks, Andre Johnson and Gore).... Ballard seems to be clearly doing that with his FAs.

As far as 2013 NFL draft... after Werner was selected in the first round came Xavier Rhodes (a top CB in NFL), DeAndre Hopkins, Cordarrelle Patterson, Travis Frederick (all pro-bowlers, all in positions we could have used help with).  Other notable players from that draft who came after Werner who could have filled positions of need:  Alec Ogletree (LB), Jonathan Cyprien (S), Manti Teo (LB), Kawann Short (DT), Darius Slay (CB), LeVeon Bell (RB), Jamie Collins (LB), Eddie Lacy (RB), Jonathan Hankins (DT), Jonathan Bostic (LB), Kiko Alonso (LB), Larry Warford (G), DJ Swearinger (S), Tyrann Matheiu (CB), Keenan Allen (WR), Marcus Wheaton (WR), Alex Okafor (DE), Micah Hyde (CB), David Bahktiari (OT), several TEs (Kelce, Ertz, Reed).... and many other players still in the NFL.... it wasn't the strongest draft ever, but there were quality players at almost every position that came out of that draft (many well after round 1)... Kerwynn Williams and Montori Hughes (well he's on a future/reserve contract) are the only guys we took from that draft still around in the NFL... the rest of our picks were straight busts.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Just saying that the draft wasn't anything special despite having picks in the top half each round, but that it's only been one year removed so its too early to judge.  So far, nobody has stood out as playing better than what you would expect from their drafted position, except for the 5th rounder, and some probably worse. 

Hooker's report was that he was a good player but had some injury concerns.  Same thing said about Bridgewater and Bradford.  Sure you can't predict a knee injury for Hooker, Bradford, or Bridgewater,  but a knee injury is still an injury.

Ballard definitely needs to do very well, very well, with having such a high pick in each round, as opposed to his predecessor who was drafting 25 to 30th.

Grigson was actually drafting #1 overall when he came to Indy... 

Ballard (like Grigson) was also drafting guys for what he saw of the future in Indy, not what was present at the time.  That said, Ballard was stuck with a coach who he may not have retained if Irsay didn't force it... it is pretty clear Q. Wilson fits the bill for Ballard's future vision more than he did Pagano's vision.  Hooker was widely regarded as leading NFL Rookie of Year race before he got hurt, Marlon Mack showed plenty of glimpses, Basham improved as the year went on, and so did Stewart and Hairston.  I don't think A Walker will be much more than a STer for us, but that's OK as a late 5th rounder.

Anyway, my point of the initial thread was to point out that Grigson had a very bad track record of bringing players to Indy -- both through draft and FA -- over his 5 years here.  If Ballard strikes out that many time in 5 years, we have a long decade coming as fans.

2 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

but he still overspent on subpar players or players who were at the end of their career. 

But he had the cap space to try to put us over the hump. That's what you do when you have space the year after you go to the AFCCG. And kudos to him for us to have been in the position to sign vets to try to get us over the hump.   I'm sure he knew that AJ and Cole were no spring chickens.

4 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Cherilus was good for us and got injured... he was the highest paid RT in the entire NFL with his Colts contract (so that was a big deal compared to every other NFL team).  Landry signed a $24 million ($14 mil guaranteed) contract over 4 years, he played in a total of 23 games (started 18) and was nothing more than OK when he played (that was a fairly big hit).  Ricky Jean-Francois (a back-up who never played more than 25% of snaps in an NFL season which was 4-5 years at the time) was getting paid over $5 mill a year to be an average/below-average player for Grigson's Colts (again highly overpaid).  Walden was an unproven player who was getting $4 mill/year and was pretty bad in his first 2 seasons in Indy (overpaid).

All were good contracts, despite the mass criticism, because the guaranteed money given matched their talent and risk of longevity.  You can argue the yearly compensation, but that's what you get when you front load a contract to avoid guaranteed money if they're cut.

6 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Toler signed a 3 year, $15 million contract after only playing in 2 games the previous season (coming off a major injury the year before)... again, overpaid.... I can go on, but I won't

Toler actually played well his first 2 years before another injury.  At one time, our secondary of Landry, Bethea, Davis, and Toler was close to the best in the NFL, and perfect for the 34 D Pagano wanted.

8 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I don't think Grigs was signing any of these guys with intention to have them as 'stop-gap guys' (except maybe Nicks, Andre Johnson and Gore).... Ballard seems to be clearly doing that with his FAs.

Disagree.   I think they were all expected to be replaced by draft choices depending upon who was available in the draft.  If the player could be upgraded, they would be cut.  Hence the structure of all of the contracts not having guaranteed money.  Some sooner then later, but you don't know who would be replaced first since the draft is quite random.  Only Landry, Cherilous, Jones and Redding were expected to not eventually be replaced at some point in their contracts.  Redding wasn't ever replaced, and Walden outplayed expectation and was kept his entire term.

16 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

As far as 2013 NFL draft... after Werner was selected in the first round came Xavier Rhodes (a top CB in NFL), DeAndre Hopkins, Cordarrelle Patterson, Travis Frederick (all pro-bowlers, all in positions we could have used help with).  Other notable players from that draft who came after Werner who could have filled positions of need:  Alec Ogletree (LB), Jonathan Cyprien (S), Manti Teo (LB), Kawann Short (DT), Darius Slay (CB), LeVeon Bell (RB), Jamie Collins (LB), Eddie Lacy (RB), Jonathan Hankins (DT), Jonathan Bostic (LB), Kiko Alonso (LB), Larry Warford (G), DJ Swearinger (S), Tyrann Matheiu (CB), Keenan Allen (WR), Marcus Wheaton (WR), Alex Okafor (DE), Micah Hyde (CB), David Bahktiari (OT), several TEs (Kelce, Ertz, Reed).... and many other players still in the NFL.... it wasn't the strongest draft ever, but there were quality players at almost every position that came out of that draft (many well after round 1)... Kerwynn Williams and Montori Hughes (well he's on a future/reserve contract) are the only guys we took from that draft still around in the NFL... the rest of our picks were straight busts.

Well, anybody suggesting we select Hopkins or Patterson when we still had Wayne would have been run off of this Board.  Fredrick was criticized by nearly everyone as being a third rounder picked in the 1st.  Kudos to Jerry Jones for showing up 25 other GMs on that one.  The rest of the list is the entire draft in which numerous GMs passed on each one of those players numerous times.   

20 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Grigson was actually drafting #1 overall when he came to Indy... 

Ballard (like Grigson) was also drafting guys for what he saw of the future in Indy, not what was present at the time.  That said, Ballard was stuck with a coach who he may not have retained if Irsay didn't force it... it is pretty clear Q. Wilson fits the bill for Ballard's future vision more than he did Pagano's vision.  Hooker was widely regarded as leading NFL Rookie of Year race before he got hurt, Marlon Mack showed plenty of glimpses, Basham improved as the year went on, and so did Stewart and Hairston.  I don't think A Walker will be much more than a STer for us, but that's OK as a late 5th rounder.

Anyway, my point of the initial thread was to point out that Grigson had a very bad track record of bringing players to Indy -- both through draft and FA -- over his 5 years here.  If Ballard strikes out that many time in 5 years, we have a long decade coming as fans.

Yep.  CB is no golden boy compared to RG.  No way to tell yet.  No great FA or draft finds his first year, IMO.  Simon was probably his best find.  Kinda like Walden.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yep.  CB is no golden boy compared to RG.  No way to tell yet.  No great FA or draft finds his first year, IMO.  Simon was probably his best find.  Kinda like Walden.

Al Woods, Hankins, Sheard definitely had better years. I honestly liked his free agent haul last year. Unlike any year I saw under Grigson. 

4 hours ago, Indy1996 said:

didn't realize he tore both, yipes.  could be a long road back to 90%

16 hours ago, DougDew said:

Well, anybody suggesting we select Hopkins or Patterson when we still had Wayne would have been run off of this Board.  Fredrick was criticized by nearly everyone as being a third rounder picked in the 1st.  Kudos to Jerry Jones for showing up 25 other GMs on that one.  The rest of the list is the entire draft in which numerous GMs passed on each one of those players numerous times.   

Wayne was nearing the end of his career, and everyone knew that... we signed DHB and everyone was excited about it (Irsay even went on a twitter spree over it).  I don't really care if other GMs passed over other players (which many didn't get passed over numerous times)... you said "And, look up the quality of the 2013 draft.  It was a bust draft year for NFL." ... I responded to let you know the draft had many talented players (in fact, 2013's draft class has produced 30 probowl players, compared to 2014 which has produced 25 and 2015 which has produced 14.... 23 of those probowlers from 2013 were taken after Werner).  

15 hours ago, DougDew said:

Walden was awful for us his 1st year.  Simon and Sheard were both better in their first year.  Hankins was very good.  Brissett played well given he is so young and was acquired just days before the season started (and had a poor OL, due to Ballard inheriting Grigson's dumpster fire).  Al Woods and Bostic also played pretty well.

I think Hankins is the only FA Ballard signed who is expected as a long-term solution from last year (maybe Brissett, and hopefully he's mainly our back-up).  FAs who Grigs signed expected to be long-term include Landry (bust), Toler (bust -- maybe due to injury), Art Jones (bust), Darius Heyward-bey (bust), Cherilus (injured), Donald Thomas (total bust - regardless of injury), Ricky Jean-Francois (bust), Samson Satele (bust).  Players Grigs traded for expected for long-term were V. Davis (played very well most of his time here) and Trent Richardson (arguably the worst trade in NFL history).

2 hours ago, King! said:

I did appreciate how Grigson did try to build an offensive line for Luck. He went out and spent money on Donald Thomas, Gosder Cherilus, and drafted guys like Kelly and Mewhort and re-signed Castanzo.

Donald Thomas was unproven and did nothing for us... signing him for what Grigs paid for him was a bit absurd.. .to his credit though, he did have several OL get hurt or maybe our line could've been better.

22 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Wayne was nearing the end of his career, and everyone knew that... we signed DHB and everyone was excited about it (Irsay even went on a twitter spree over it).  I don't really care if other GMs passed over other players (which many didn't get passed over numerous times)... you said "And, look up the quality of the 2013 draft.  It was a bust draft year for NFL." ... I responded to let you know the draft had many talented players (in fact, 2013's draft class has produced 30 probowl players, compared to 2014 which has produced 25 and 2015 which has produced 14.... 23 of those probowlers from 2013 were taken after Werner).  

Walden was awful for us his 1st year.  Simon and Sheard were both better in their first year.  Hankins was very good.  Brissett played well given he is so young and was acquired just days before the season started (and had a poor OL, due to Ballard inheriting Grigson's dumpster fire).  Al Woods and Bostic also played pretty well.

I think Hankins is the only FA Ballard signed who is expected as a long-term solution from last year (maybe Brissett, and hopefully he's mainly our back-up).  FAs who Grigs signed expected to be long-term include Landry (bust), Toler (bust -- maybe due to injury), Art Jones (bust), Darius Heyward-bey (bust), Cherilus (injured), Donald Thomas (total bust - regardless of injury), Ricky Jean-Francois (bust), Samson Satele (bust).  Players Grigs traded for expected for long-term were V. Davis (played very well most of his time here) and Trent Richardson (arguably the worst trade in NFL history).

Donald Thomas was unproven and did nothing for us... signing him for what Grigs paid for him was a bit absurd.. .to his credit though, he did have several OL get hurt or maybe our line could've been better.

As far as the topic of the thread ....the draft record.....there wasn't a lot of complaining about the draft picks at the time.  We now have a bunch of revisionist geniuses.

The forum loved the DA and Moncrief picks...said they were good values.  Fleener was thought to be like Dallas Clark and didn't receive much criticism at the time. Liked the Hugh Thornton, Kalid Holmes, and Jack Mewhort picks, thought they were good players at needed positions.  Liked the trade of a 2nd rounder for Davis.  Most were meh on Werner, but only a few wanted someone else.  Dorset constantly gets compared to Collins, but most said Collins wasn't the cover S they wanted.  And if Dorset worked out to be a true #2, we wouldn't be looking for a WR today.  Most liked the Geathers pick.  Personally, I don't like selecting a RB with a 1st round pick, so I didn't support the trade for TRich.  But looking back, it was the right decision at the time.  Everybody thought TRs stats in Cleveland was due to a lack of a serious passing game, not because he stunk.   

Not including the latest draft, which most like, I've just mentioned 10 picks in rounds one through 4 over 4 years  (about 14 picks) where the consensus had no real problems with. And I didn't mention the other players because I don't remember every pick.  TJ Green was a head scratcher at the timer.  DJoun Smith was raved about by Kiper.  Oh, and don't forget TY.  At the time, the vast majority of his picks looked fine.

Personally, I love CBs picks of Wilson and Basham and Hairston.  Said so at the time.  Now, Wilson and Basham aren't looking so hot.  And we know about Banner.  It happens to GMs, all of them.

6 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I highly doubt you can name 20 trades which were worse.

i can with the help of some sports writers.  too many trades have gone down for giving up one single pick on a running back to be among the worst

teams like the chargers and redskins gave up lots of picks for guys that did nothing.  we gave up a single, late first round pick 

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i can with the help of some sports writers.  too many trades have gone down for giving up one single pick on a running back to be among the worst

teams like the chargers and redskins gave up lots of picks for guys that did nothing.  we gave up a single, late first round pick 

The haul the Redskins gave up just for RG3...that was worse than just grabbing Trent.  I will agree there are many worse than that trade.

22 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Just reading this article and I knew Grigs didn't do well in the drafts (other than his first one and a couple picks here and there).... but from 2012-2015 we only have: TY Hilton, Andrew Luck, Clayton Geathers, Henry Anderson and Denzelle Good still under contract.  Zero players from the 2013 draft are still on the roster.  We traded our 2014 first round pick for T-Rich and we traded our 2015 first round pick (Dorsett) to the Pats.  So in his first 4 NFL drafts, Grigson still has 1 player on the Colts (hopefully he comes back healthy -- Andrew Luck).  Two picks (well kind of), Werner and T-Rich, aren't in the NFL and the 4th pick (Dorsett) has been nothing more than mediocre in the NFL (on the Colts or Pats).

In Grigson's 2016 draft, we have 6-8 picks remaining (Kelly, Green, Clark, Haeg, Morrison, and Ridgeway).  Of this group, I like Kelly a lot when he's healthy... I like Haeg a lot as a versatile depth player (don't think he'll be a star but he can start and back-up multiple positions).  I think the verdict is still out on Green, Clark and Ridgeway (all still have potential, but none have done a whole lot to convince me they are going to turn into starting caliber players).  I like Morrison's hustle, but TBH, I don't think he's much more than a STer and maybe a situational LBer (I think he's just too slow).

Anyway, I am glad to see Ballard not willing to blow the bank on big-name FAs expecting them to be long-term solutions for the team. Grigson did this with Laron Landry, Ricky Jean-Francois, Samson Satele, Tom Zbikowski, Gosder Cherilus, Greg Toler, Donald Thomas, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Arthur Jones, Hakeem Nicks, Trent Cole, Andre Johnson, Nate Irving, Patrick Robinson, and others. IMO, the only big-name (or somewhat big-name) FAs Grigs brought in worth a darn were Frank Gore, Kendall Langford (injury cut him short), Mike Adams, Dwight Lowery (only 1 year), D'Qwell Jackson, Ahmad Bradshaw (injury cut him short), Hasselbeck, and Walden (he stunk his first year here but got better).  To be fair to Grigs, injuries may have played a role in some of his total busts (Cherilus, Toler, Jones, and Robinson), but he really did a bad job in both FA and the draft.

Here's the link.... glad Ballard is only using FA as a way to bring in supplemental players to help fill temporary holes and aiming to rely more on the draft and home-grown Colts:  http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/22956/poor-recent-drafts-have-colts-using-free-agency-to-supplement-roster

Why is this even a topic of discussion?? He was terrible end thread...

For the record, I love Ballard. Great hire.

But....if you ever want to understand a fans’s lack of logic it’s pasted all over this board.

Grigson’s worst year: 8-8 when Luck is 2-5 or something like that

Ballard after 1 year:  4-12 no Luck....I believe in Ballard because I can tell he is the guy for the job!

Edited by ztboiler

11 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I highly doubt you can name 20 trades which were worse.

Is this a joke?

The T-Rich trade for a late first rounder is probably not even top 250 for worst trades.

Look at how much the Redskins gave up to get RG3, Chargers gave up to draft Ryan Leaf, Saints gave up for Ricky Williams...

The T-Rich trade is barely a memory; nobody talked about it after 2 years.