Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Timetable within Luck starting to throw

CR91

This is a good read and a bit relieving.  I listened to Dr. Bramel's pod cast the other day too.  It is about 30 minutes long, but worth it if you have the time.  He also discusses Hooker and Geathers and their injuries.

Pretty much in line with what we have been told by many including @ColtsBlueFL

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/7/20/16001348/disregard-rumors-on-lucks-throwing-shoulder-until-team-acknowledges-legitimacy

18 hours ago, Superman said:

Not setting off any alarm bells about Luck, but Tolzien is a veteran QB. He's only started 3 games, but he's been in the league five years already, he's 30 years old, and he's been with the Colts for a year already. He's not the Hasselbeck level veteran backup, who's seen/done it all, but he's a decent backup, if necessary.

This is true and they have Morris but I guess they would at least bring in another arm for camp and pre-season games but they don't have too.  While not ideal you can do those with just two QBs, you just hope neither of them gets hurt.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

This is true and they have Morris but I guess they would at least bring in another arm for camp and pre-season games but they don't have too.  While not ideal you can do those with just two QBs, you just hope neither of them gets hurt.

Yeah, anyone getting hurt would change things. But if you're trying to get a backup ready to play, if necessary, and you're hopeful that Morris makes it a real competition, then I see benefits to just having those two take all the reps. I think another QB would absolutely be a camp arm.

21 hours ago, Superman said:

Not setting off any alarm bells about Luck, but Tolzien is a veteran QB. He's only started 3 games, but he's been in the league five years already, he's 30 years old, and he's been with the Colts for a year already. He's not the Hasselbeck level veteran backup, who's seen/done it all, but he's a decent backup, if necessary.

Just out of curiosity....

But if for some reason Luck had to the miss the entire season,  how many games do you see the Colts winning with Scott Tolzein as the starter for all 16 games?

21 hours ago, Superman said:

I posted something earlier in the year stating something similar.  Tolzein looked pretty good last year against the Steelers, but our own WR's could not catch anything.  I think he is very capable of performing if needed for a game or two.  You always want Luck out there but for a backup, I do not think he is bad at all.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But if for some reason Luck had to the miss the entire season,  how many games do you see the Colts winning with Scott Tolzein as the starter for all 16 games?

With our D hopefully improved and if we can stay healthy other than Luck in this example I would say we could get to 9-7 with Tolzein.

35 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

A few more than we won with Painter, lol.  If he was a starter he would be one.

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If they announced that Luck was missing the season, I would start looking to see who we should pick the the first pick in the '18 draft.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

No more than 5. Anything above that would be an outstanding coaching job, or we'd strike gold with a really good backup QB performance. 

4 hours ago, Superman said:

No more than 5. Anything above that would be an outstanding coaching job, or we'd strike gold with a really good backup QB performance. 

Yup.....   6 would be a near miracle....

But I was thinking 4 or 5.....

Obviously,  like all of us,  hoping it doesn't come to that....

21 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

With our D hopefully improved and if we can stay healthy other than Luck in this example I would say we could get to 9-7 with Tolzein.

The Colts will be lucky to win 9-10 games this year with Luck. They aren't all of a sudden become the '85 Bears after one offseason.  With Tolzien, I hate to say it, but I think you're looking at more likely 3-13 or 4-12.

I really hope all us fans get some updates as far as Luck goes once training camp gets rolling.  I will admit I am a little nervous, but not panicking yet.  I think this team improved on the defensive side of the ball and the o-line seemed to be coming together towards the end of last year.  The Falcons went 8-8 in 2015 and got to the superbowl in 2016.  I am not saying the Colts are going to get to the superbowl but I feel like the roster has been upgraded so there is reason for optimism if Luck is ready to go by week 1 in my opinion.  With Tolzien I think they win 2-3 games max. 

2 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

The Colts will be lucky to win 9-10 games this year with Luck. They aren't all of a sudden become the '85 Bears after one offseason.  With Tolzien, I hate to say it, but I think you're looking at more likely 3-13 or 4-12.

So you say a team who had a beyond terrible defense last year and had some key injuries with little o-line cohesion and still went 8-8 would not be able to improve to 9-7 with everything being fixed to a degree.  This example of just having Tolzein, saying 9-7 might be a stretch but your pessimistic view of this coming season with Luck is terrible and really not validated.  Quit frankly it is kind of sad!

Just now, DaColts85 said:

So you say a team who had a beyond terrible defense last year and had some key injuries with little o-line cohesion and still went 8-8 would not be able to improve to 9-7 with everything being fixed to a degree.  This example of just having Tolzein, saying 9-7 might be a stretch but your pessimistic view of this coming season with Luck is terrible and really not validated.  Quit frankly it is kind of sad!

No need to be snarky. Until you see the defense play, can you objectively say how much better they will be? And can you with 100% certainty say Luck will be completely healthy? I just think you're being overly optimistic when there are a ton of unknowns. The team will be better given a healthy QB, but I think you would admit they still have a long ways to go to be "contenders".

Just now, Boiler_Colt said:

No need to be snarky. Until you see the defense play, can you objectively say how much better they will be? And can you with 100% certainty say Luck will be completely healthy? I just think you're being overly optimistic when there are a ton of unknowns. The team will be better given a healthy QB, but I think you would admit they still have a long ways to go to be "contenders".

Sorry did not mean to come off harsh...but based on your original comment you stated we would be lucky to get 9 or 10 wins with Luck.  So I am not assuming injuries or missed time.  Based on some moves made yes I feel pretty confident that our D will improve.  Mainly because when you are at the bottom as a defense the direction left is up. Now as far as contenders, I never said that but I will say they are contenders for the AFC South and that is about it.  This roster is not a SB team to me but you never when you have that lightening in a bottle (continued optimism).

8 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Sorry did not mean to come off harsh...but based on your original comment you stated we would be lucky to get 9 or 10 wins with Luck.  So I am not assuming injuries or missed time.  Based on some moves made yes I feel pretty confident that our D will improve.  Mainly because when you are at the bottom as a defense the direction left is up. Now as far as contenders, I never said that but I will say they are contenders for the AFC South and that is about it.  This roster is not a SB team to me but you never when you have that lightening in a bottle (continued optimism).

No worries at all. I get that the nature of a message board is a bit reactionary. FYI, I think with a healthy Luck the Colts win 10 games this year and should content for the South. Although I still think they may have the 4th best roster in the division outside of Luck still. I think the rust factor with Luck and the time it will take a whole new defense to jell are real things to consider. If they are rusty out of the gate, that could lead to an 8 or 9 win season as opposed to 10. The schedule gets harder toward the back half so they cannot afford to have that "feeling out" period at the beginning which has been their staple under Chuck.

I'm not down on the moves Ballard made on defense, but it's just my opinion that they're still a year or two away.

29 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Based on some moves made yes I feel pretty confident that our D will improve.  Mainly because when you are at the bottom as a defense the direction left is up.

Ask Cleveland how that approach has been going.

11 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Lost in the equation... how has free agency and the draft affected the other AFC South teams? We have to compare our attempts to improve vs. the other AFC South teams attempts to improve.  Not just did we potentially get better...

Stop being logical!  

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:21 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I believe the consensus is the Jets will have the #1 overall pick.

If Luck misses the whole season, I think we give them a run for the money,

On 7/21/2017 at 5:06 PM, That Guy said:

Ask Cleveland how that approach has been going.

I see where you are trying to go with this statement but I am sorry we as an organization have never been in that category.  Plus the Browns constantly have change and with each change comes someone who wants a different type of system and player.  We have the same system just a new person finding the talent.

On 7/21/2017 at 4:43 PM, Boiler_Colt said:

No worries at all. I get that the nature of a message board is a bit reactionary. FYI, I think with a healthy Luck the Colts win 10 games this year and should content for the South. Although I still think they may have the 4th best roster in the division outside of Luck still. I think the rust factor with Luck and the time it will take a whole new defense to jell are real things to consider. If they are rusty out of the gate, that could lead to an 8 or 9 win season as opposed to 10. The schedule gets harder toward the back half so they cannot afford to have that "feeling out" period at the beginning which has been their staple under Chuck.

I'm not down on the moves Ballard made on defense, but it's just my opinion that they're still a year or two away.

I do agree with you.  10 wins with everyone healthy is a good number.  I also agree that our roster still is not as talented on paper as others but we have key players to help.  Luck still allows for another 2 or 3 wins with him just being on the field.

Our D is far from being a finished product and I again agree with you that we still have some time before we become a D strong team.  If we get there in the next few years plus keep a strong top 5 offense we will be a very dangerous team.

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

I do agree with you.  10 wins with everyone healthy is a good number.  I also agree that our roster still is not as talented on paper as others but we have key players to help.  Luck still allows for another 2 or 3 wins with him just being on the field.

Our D is far from being a finished product and I again agree with you that we still have some time before we become a D strong team.  If we get there in the next few years plus keep a strong top 5 offense we will be a very dangerous team.

Not sure where Vegas has it but I would set our number of wins at 9.5 assuming Luck does play in Week 1 and is healthy. I will make my final prediction after Pre-season but looking at things logically right now, 10 wins isn't a stretch. I would say so if it was as the Texans, Titans, and Jags are all beatable. Luck needs to be healthy though. I think our Defense will be better than last season and our schedule on paper is more favorable. We lost several close games last season as well.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not sure where Vegas has it but I would set our number of wins at 9.5 assuming Luck does play in Week 1 and is healthy. I will make my final prediction after Pre-season but looking at things logically right now, 10 wins isn't a stretch. I would say so if it was as the Texans, Titans, and Jags are all beatable. Luck needs to be healthy though. I think our Defense will be better than last season and our schedule on paper is more favorable. We lost several close games last season as well.

Last I saw Vegas had us at 9 wins and I would take that action because I see 10 wins, assuming no huge injuries, would be very obtainable.  But I do agree with you!

5 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Last I saw Vegas had us at 9 wins and I would take that action because I see 10 wins, assuming no huge injuries, would be very obtainable.  But I do agree with you!

Yeah I figuerd 9.5 would be the number. I can see alot of people having us at 9 wins but 10 would be the money winner :thmup: