Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let's pick a DB in the first round

Listening to pagano, ballard and irsay, it looks like DB maybe of a higher priority than I thought the colts would anticipate, which is music to my ears. I have been of the opinion that there is more blue chip talent in the back 4 than the linebackers in this draft for a while now and honestly none of the pass rushers that I've seen mocked to us really pop out for me. (I would be thrilled if Foster falls to us, we need a stud ilb)

So this being the premise, I thought to see which DB may realistically fall toward us.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/mock-drafts?icampaign=draft-sub_nav_bar-drafteventpage-mockdraft

looking at the above link, it seems the following players will be unanimously picked in the top 10:

Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, Marshon Lattimore.

This leaves us:

Gareon Conley, Tre'davious White, Chidobe Awuze, who're projected to go around 10-20.

(Couldn't find a decent scouting report video for awuzie so just linked his highlights)

Who would you rather have us pick? I personally am a fan of Conley. Are there any unheralded prospects you think would merit a first round pick?

I think we'll be able to get almost as good a DB prospect on the second day as we would on the first. I love the depth, but outside of Lattimore, Hooker, and Adams... Is there really a guy that's so much ahead of the pack?

Sans those top 3 we've still got:

Marlon Humphrey

Fabian Moreau

Tredavious White

Chidobe Awuzie

Gareon Conley

Kevin King

Adoree Jackson

Quincy Wilson

Sidney Jones

Ahkello Witherspoon

Cordea Tankersly

Obi Melifonwu

Budda Baker

Desmond King

Marcus Williams

Marcus Maye

Jabrill Peppers

Josh Jones

Justin Evans

etc...

Lots of solid prospects, unless one of those top 3 guys falls to 15 (in which case, I'd wonder why that happened) I think there's so much depth that we can wait till the second day for secondary help... 

Just my .02

15 hours ago, myic90 said:

Listening to pagano, ballard and irsay, it looks like DB maybe of a higher priority than I thought the colts would anticipate, which is music to my ears. I have been of the opinion that there is more blue chip talent in the back 4 than the linebackers in this draft for a while now and honestly none of the pass rushers that I've seen mocked to us really pop out for me. (I would be thrilled if Foster falls to us, we need a stud ilb)

So this being the premise, I thought to see which DB may realistically fall toward us.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/mock-drafts?icampaign=draft-sub_nav_bar-drafteventpage-mockdraft

looking at the above link, it seems the following players will be unanimously picked in the top 10:

Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, Marshon Lattimore.

This leaves us:

Gareon Conley, Tre'davious White, Chidobe Awuze, who're projected to go around 10-20.

My source has-

#4  FS Malik Hooker

#5 SS Jamal Adams

#6 CB Marshon Lattimore

#7 (pre achilles injury though!!)  CB Sidney Jones (he'll drop)

-----------------------------------------------

Ranked #14  FS Budda Baker

Ranked #15  SS Jabril Peppers

Ranked #22  CB  Tredavious White

Ranked #23  CB Teez Tabor

Ranked #24 CB Marlon Humphrey

-------------------------------no more round 1 grade defensive backs---------------

#41  Quincy Wilson CB

#42  Gareon  Conley CB

#43 Jordan Lewis   CB

8 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

My source has-

#4  FS Malik Hooker

#5 SS Jamal Adams

#6 CB Marshon Lattimore

#7 (pre achilles injury though!!)  CB Sidney Jones (he'll drop)

Ranked #14  FS Budda Baker

Ranked #15  SS Jabril Peppers

Ranked #22  CB  Tredavious White

Ranked #23  CB Teez Tabor

Ranked #24 CB Marlon Humphrey

-------------------------------no more round 1 grade defensive backs---------------

#41  Quincy Wilson CB

#42  Gareon  Conley CB

#43 Jordan Lewis   CB

Nothing against your source but I would take Conley over Teez Tabor any day of the week.

4 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Nothing against your source but I would take Conley over Teez Tabor any day of the week.

My source actually scouted, performed drafts for his team, and also ran the scouting combine a couple times.  And, he gets paid by NFL teams for the results of his scouting work as a freelance consultant. Now as to which set of traits fits in to our hybrid and multifaceted D scheme, I'm not sure.  But as a pure ranking on the Horizontal board, well...

So no offense against your opinion/assessment, but I trust my source and his personal assessments of these guys over your sources.  Unless you can produce your full scouting reports and why you choose that way.  Then we have a discussion/debating point.

I can-

25. CB–TEEZ TABOR–FLORIDA
I may be a bit higher on him than I should but I like his playing style over his measurable.
Tabor offers 32-plus inch arms, understanding of zone coverage and an aggressive mentality when attacking the run. At the combine, he managed a top 40-yard dash of just 4.63 seconds. He also logged uninspiring jumps of 31 inches (vertical) and 120 inches (broad), plus only nine reps on the bench press. Tabor was suspended for the season opener after getting into a fight with a teammate. He also tweeted about college football being the modern form of slavery last January.
He has long limbs, he can play low with his feet and he can bend. He also has fluid hips.
He is not a natural burner, but his instincts are off the charts and is a good tackler near the line of scrimmage. I see him as a longer Tyrann Mathieu. Florida coaches felt he was better than Vernon Hargreaves III in 2015. I see him as a quicker than fast player with excellent size for the position, great feel in coverage, patient and balanced vs double moves with quick footwork to mirror and ride routes vertically as well as excellent ball skills.

Graded a round 1 talent, but at the end of the group.

42. CB–GAREON CONLEY–OHIO STATE
Two-year starter who earned Second Team All-Big Ten honors in 2016 after posting 26 tackles, four interceptions and eight pass breakups. Honorable Mention All-Big Ten as a junior after making 49 tackles with two interceptions and four PBUs.
Developing cornerback with next level ball skills. Strong, fluid transitioning with opponents downfield and does a terrific job timing and anticipating pass defenses. Tracks the ball in the air, has a nice move to the throw and consistently around the play knocking away the ball. Stands out in man coverage and gives effort defending the run.
Seems to struggle in zone and does not do a good job recognizing routes. Occasionally slow getting his head back around when his back is to the ball.
Conley pulled together two terrific seasons at Ohio State and offers the athletic ability and ball skills to line up in man coverage on Sunday. He’s not as good as Marshon Lattimore, but he he measures over 6-foot and runs well. Press-corner with experience at both cornerback spots and an ability to fit into a variety of coverage techniques. He plays with good top-end speed and has the ball skills to challenge and defend passes on any level. He can step in right away in zone coverage, but could struggle to match patterns from a pedal. He will likely be targeted by teams seeking long cornerbacks who can crowd and trail receivers down the field. He has the talent to become an early starter, but he must improve in run support.

Grades in at a solid round 2 talent.

I have other scouts I trust that I use as well.  But their reports are not yet available to me. I keep checking my email and log on to their site often though.

3 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

My source actually scouted, performed drafts for his team, and also ran the scouting combine a couple times.  And, he gets paid by NFL teams for the results of his scouting work as a freelance consultant.

So no offense against your opinion/assessment, but I trust my source over yours.  Unless you can produce your full scouting reports and why you choose that way.  I can-

25. CB–TEEZ TABOR–FLORIDA
I may be a bit higher on him than I should but I like his playing style over his measurable.
Tabor offers 32-plus inch arms, understanding of zone coverage and an aggressive mentality when attacking the run. At the combine, he managed a top 40-yard dash of just 4.63 seconds. He also logged uninspiring jumps of 31 inches (vertical) and 120 inches (broad), plus only nine reps on the bench press. Tabor was suspended for the season opener after getting into a fight with a teammate. He also tweeted about college football being the modern form of slavery last January.
He has long limbs, he can play low with his feet and he can bend. He also has fluid hips.
He is not a natural burner, but his instincts are off the charts and is a good tackler near the line of scrimmage. I see him as a longer Tyrann Mathieu. Florida coaches felt he was better than Vernon Hargreaves III in 2015. I see him as a quicker than fast player with excellent size for the position, great feel in coverage, patient and balanced vs double moves with quick footwork to mirror and ride routes vertically as well as excellent ball skills.

42. CB–GAREON CONLEY–OHIO STATE
Two-year starter who earned Second Team All-Big Ten honors in 2016 after posting 26 tackles, four interceptions and eight pass breakups. Honorable Mention All-Big Ten as a junior after making 49 tackles with two interceptions and four PBUs.
Developing cornerback with next level ball skills. Strong, fluid transitioning with opponents downfield and does a terrific job timing and anticipating pass defenses. Tracks the ball in the air, has a nice move to the throw and consistently around the play knocking away the ball. Stands out in man coverage and gives effort defending the run.
Seems to struggle in zone and does not do a good job recognizing routes. Occasionally slow getting his head back around when his back is to the ball.
Conley pulled together two terrific seasons at Ohio State and offers the athletic ability and ball skills to line up in man coverage on Sunday. He’s not as good as Marshon Lattimore, but he he measures over 6-foot and runs well. Press-corner with experience at both cornerback spots and an ability to fit into a variety of coverage techniques. He plays with good top-end speed and has the ball skills to challenge and defend passes on any level. He can step in right away in zone coverage, but could struggle to match patterns from a pedal. He will likely be targeted by teams seeking long cornerbacks who can crowd and trail receivers down the field. He has the talent to become an early starter, but he must improve in run support.

I have other scouts I trust that I use as well.  But their reports are not yet available to me. I keep checking my email and log on to their site often though.

I love reading scouts views and again I am not trying to disrespect your sources by any means.  But no scout bats 1.000%.  So I will stick to my assumption and I personally would take Conley over Teez.

16 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I like Conley. I didn't know Awuzie was being looked at in the 1st. I was hoping to get him in the 2nd.

15 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Yeah ive been predicting a pass rusher in the 1st with getting Azuwie in the 2nd. 

Don't forget, this is the time of year to 'leak' disinformation to throw opponents off track too...  

:dunno:

Here's a "Vertical" position draft board.  Not adjusted for latest medical / injury, pro days, scheme fit, or potential legal issues that may crop up. So not a draft order as teams evaluate different skills sets more or less important depending upon their scheme and team.

COLLEGE DRAFT GRADING SCALE

7.4 – 7.0 = Superstar Ability  (0)

7.4 = 1st Pick Value

None

7.0 = Definite Top 5 Pick

None

6.9 – 6.5 = Immediate Starter  (4)

6.9 = Early 1st Round

1. (rsSO) MARSHON LATTIMORE–OHIO STATE
2. (JR) SIDNEY JONES–WASHINGTON

************************************************   Snipped for brevity-

5.9 – 5.5 = Has a chance to make and Contribute (8)

5.9 = 3rd Round Value

14. CHIDOBE AWUZIE–COLORADO
15. KEVIN KING—WASHINGTON
16. RASUL DOUGLAS–WEST VIRGINIA
17. (rsSO) HOWARD WILSON–HOUSTON

5.5 = 4th Round Value

18. SHAQUILL GRIFFIN–CENTRAL FLORIDA
19. DAMONTAE KAZEE–SAN DIEGO STATE
20. AHKELLO WITHERSPOON–COLORADO
21. CORN ELDER–MIAMI,FL

5.4 – 5.0 = Potential back up Contributor/Roster Player  (20)

5.4 = 5th to 6th Round Value

22. MARQUEZ WHITE–FLORIDA STATE
23. CHANNING STRIBLING–MICHIGAN
24. AARION PENTON–MISSOURI
25. NARTE HAIRSTON–TEMPLE
26. JALEN MYRICK–MINNESOTA
27. JEREMY CLARK–MICHIGAN (M)
28. BRIAN ALLEN–UTAH

Snipped content for brevity-

From my experience watching, players tend to drop easier / further closing i on the draft rather than rise.  If he is a 3rd round grade, I wonder what has transpired to elevate him into round 1? It just doesn't hppaen, especially with so many talented CB's available too.

12 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I love reading scouts views and again I am not trying to disrespect your sources by any means.  But no scout bats 1.000%.  So I will stick to my assumption and I personally would take Conley over Teez.

That's fine, especially if you think.a guy "fits" better.  But when you get paid, you have more of a burden to be right, otherwise you let your opponents get a better player you might have had.Or might not get paid anymore.  ;-)

18 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

That's fine, especially if you think.a guy "fits" better.  But when you get paid, you have more of a burden to be right, otherwise you let your opponents get a better player you might have had.Or might not get paid anymore.  ;-)

I completely agree with you.  He has more at stake then someone who has no ties to a team.  I just see a fit better with Conley plus I think he has great upside.  I am not a paid scout so I might insert my foot in my mouth after a few years lol.

Here's my DB's ranking:

1. Marshon Lattimore

2. Malik Hooker

3. Jamal Adams

4. (healthy) Sidney Jones

5. Gareon Conley

6. Budda Baker

7. Tre'Davious White

8. Marlon Humphrey

9. Cordrea Tankersley

10. Jabrill Peppers

I'd be ecstatic picking any of the top 3 at 15. Would have been happy with Jones before the injury and will be alright with Conley and Baker. For the rest I don't think the value is there at 15. Maybe trading down?

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

Right, not all the scouts view the same player the same way. For example, Conley's report in the video belies what CBFL's scout feels regarding Conley's press ability and hand usage, and he used to be a scout as well.

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

I completely agree with you.  He has more at stake then someone who has no ties to a team.  I just see a fit better with Conley plus I think he has great upside.  I am not a paid scout so I might insert my foot in my mouth after a few years lol.

I'm not calling you out, i just like to explore peoples preferences and the steps to that preference more than the average Joe / Jane.  Not Judge them.   I do like people who have spent hours pouring over tape and scouting reports, and try to evaluate and translate a prospects skill set into our scheme(s).  But by the same token, if someone says I just like this guy better  (gut feeling), well, then I can live with that too.   :-)

31 minutes ago, myic90 said:

Right, not all the scouts view the same player the same way. For example, Conley's report in the video belies what CBFL's scout feels regarding Conley's press ability and hand usage, and he used to be a scout as well.

That's why I like to explore why people feel the way they do.  The more information the better (as long as it is from trustworthy sources).

I have other sources, but haven't received the info I desire...   yet...   ;-)

9 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

That's why I like to explore why people feel the way they do.  The more information the better (as long as it is from trustworthy sources).

I have other sources, but haven't received the info I desire...   yet...   ;-)

Did you check the video out? I love Kollmann's breakdowns, probably the best on the internet that you can get that's free

18 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I'm not calling you out, i just like to explore peoples preferences and the steps to that preference more than the average Joe / Jane.  Not Judge them.   I do like people who have spent hours pouring over tape and scouting reports, and try to evaluate and translate a prospects skill set into our scheme(s).  But by the same token, if someone says I just like this guy better  (gut feeling), well, then I can live with that too.   :-)

I can say that I will look at our system (scheme) and definitely watch tape and look at things with our system in mind.  Again, I am no scout but I would say I am a little more than just a gut feeling guy.  I definitely did not take your comment as an insult so no issues at all.  I actually greatly appreciate a lot of guys on here who have great knowledge and sources to help with this time of year.  

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Here's my DB's ranking:

1. Marshon Lattimore

2. Malik Hooker

3. Jamal Adams

4. (healthy) Sidney Jones

5. Gareon Conley

6. Budda Baker

7. Tre'Davious White

8. Marlon Humphrey

9. Cordrea Tankersley

10. Jabrill Peppers

I'd be ecstatic picking any of the top 3 at 15. Would have been happy with Jones before the injury and will be alright with Conley and Baker. For the rest I don't think the value is there at 15. Maybe trading down?

Where do you put that OBI one Mawifiuaalliaola guy?

6 hours ago, myic90 said:

Did you check the video out? I love Kollmann's breakdowns, probably the best on the internet that you can get that's free

I haven't yet, but will.   I am not an expert at breaking down film, ... yet...

I keep learning from the scouts what 'they look' for... on tape and out in the field. otherwise when I have seen videos online, I have to assume they are supplying all of the tape, not just a 'highlight' reel.  I've found over time a group of guys (ex scouts) that have proven trustworthy, and they all 'came from' franchises in the NFL and likely mentored the folks still doing it today, or their mentors,  befre they moved on to other venues for their craft.

Maybe some of our resident expert tape crunchers here (we have a few) will see it and break it down for us all, including other tape they have reviewed on them as well.

I agree we could use some help on defense with adding a few Cornerbacks.  We definitely could use an upgraded right cornerback.  In Round 1 prefer RCB's Chidobe Awuzie or Kevin King (dual as a FS).  Both of these players I have seen recently being mentioned as first round selections. 

Round 2 would double up and select LCB Sidney Jones (torn Achilles) with very late expectations 2017 if not 2018 starter.  Was thinking Vontae Davis' contract was up in 2018 with an average salary of 9m/year.