Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should the NFL stop drug testing for Marijuana?

RockThatBlue

1 hour ago, Clem-Dog said:

Did I say smoking cannabis was discovered 30-40 years ago or are you saying cavemen were hippies?  Way to twist it.

I didn't twist anything. That's just the way you took it. Your sarcastic comment about hippies really has no bearing on the issue.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Clem-Dog said:

That's where you are twisted.  I didn't bring up hippies.

Does unless rappers are the new hippies sound familiar? Like either has anything to do with smoking cannabis in the big picture. You make a sarcastic comment and now you want to make an argument out of my comment because you took it out of context? Sorry, find someone else to argue with.

58 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Does unless rappers are the new hippies sound familiar? Like either has anything to do with smoking cannabis in the big picture. You make a sarcastic comment and now you want to make an argument out of my comment because you took it out of context? Sorry, find someone else to argue with.

You found me friendo.

11 hours ago, BOTT said:

I can't fathom they are worried about the side effects/bad reaction of weed, yet they have no concerns about the opiates the hand out regularly.

plus, your concerns are a mute point....the NFL only tests for weed during the off season.

Mute point lol

i better lay of the weed.  I kid

SHOULD the NFL stop testing for marijuana?  Yes.

WILL the NFL stop testing for marijuana?  No. 

I may be wrong, but as I understand it, as long as you're testing for other substances anyway, it's easy and cheap enough to also test for marijuana, that the NFL won't stop until it becomes too expensive or illegal to do so.  I'm sure the NFL wants to know as much as possible about its' employees, and marijuana use may be indicative of other red flag behaviors, so why not test for it, even if it is legal?  We breathalyze people for a substance that is completely legal.  I doubt coaches want their players showing up to practice high as a kite, so it will probably always be tested for.

BUT, as someone else pointed out, there are responsible professional family-men that use marijuana, that happen to play in the NFL, and are smart enough to be clean when they have to play or pee in a cup.  They should not be lumped in with the irresponsible unprofessional children who waste the money and opportunity provided to them by the NFL.  See: Johnny "Football" Manziel

Talking about just marijuana, not the NFL...

Marijuana is its own beast.  People compare it to other drugs when talking about its' addictiveness and compare it to alcohol and tobacco when talking about its' legalization.  But marijuana is not like any other drug or substance.  It isn't manmade, and it doesn't kill people.

Maybe people with an addictive personality can get addicted to marijuana.  But nobody has died from a marijuana overdose.  Marijuana has never shut down a persons' liver, kidneys, heart, brain, etc.  It could easily be substituted for alcohol or tobacco for those that just want a smoke on their break, or a drink/smoke when they get home from work.

If someone with a really stressful job (air traffic controller for instance) needs something to unwind when they get home from work, I'd recommend a nice bong-rip over a drink or a cigarette/cigar...  One of the major side effects (paranoia) wouldn't be an issue if people didn't have to worry about being arrested for marijuana.

There really is no good reason for it to be illegal while substances like alcohol, tobacco, caffeine and opiates are completely legal.  The "sin-tax" alone is enough reason for the government to get behind legalization.

6 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Talking about just marijuana, not the NFL...

Marijuana is its own beast.  People compare it to other drugs when talking about its' addictiveness and compare it to alcohol and tobacco when talking about its' legalization.  But marijuana is not like any other drug or substance.  It isn't manmade, and it doesn't kill people.

Maybe people with an addictive personality can get addicted to marijuana.  But nobody has died from a marijuana overdose.  Marijuana has never shut down a persons' liver, kidneys, heart, brain, etc.  It could easily be substituted for alcohol or tobacco for those that just want a smoke on their break, or a drink/smoke when they get home from work.

If someone with a really stressful job (air traffic controller for instance) needs something to unwind when they get home from work, I'd recommend a nice bong-rip over a drink or a cigarette/cigar...  One of the major side effects (paranoia) wouldn't be an issue if people didn't have to worry about being arrested for marijuana.

There really is no good reason for it to be illegal while substances like alcohol, tobacco, caffeine and opiates are completely legal.  The "sin-tax" alone is enough reason for the government to get behind legalization.

Look, I am not preaching because I have done more than my share of cannabis and alcohol in my 60 plus years. But using drugs of any kind to unwind is just an excuse. Having a stressful job can relate to any job someone is not happy with. Everyday life is stressful to most but thinking cannabis and or alcohol makes it all go away is not correct nor reality. After the high or drunk is gone it changes nothing. It may give some relief for a bit but it solves nothing. Not being man made really what does that mean? Because it's a plant? So some think it's natural? Not hardly. Your lungs are not designed to put any foreign substance into it including cannabis. The human lung does not function properly when anything but oxygen is breathed into it. If cannabis is used as a pain medication or stress reliever oils and extracts are a lot more effective anyway and a heck of a lot less intrusive than smoking it.

It depends.  If they want to approach it from a morals standpoint or something like that then you can see why.

However If they are worried about performance enhancing drugs. . . It's not one.  And I don't think it should be treated like one.  

Personally I don't care if a player is smoking weed. 

32 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

It depends.  If they want to approach it from a morals standpoint or something like that then you can see why.

However If they are worried about performance enhancing drugs. . . It's not one.  And I don't think it should be treated like one.  

Morals and the NFL don't mix lol

On July 26, 2016 at 9:41 PM, BOTT said:

Hallucatory drug? Lol

Off topic -

It's not classified as a Hallucinogen like LSD, Psilocybin, or Nitrous Oxcide.  However taken in large quantities it can cause hallucinations primarily with extreamly concentrated forms such as eating large quantities of potent edibles, hash oils (BHO) and or extracts, liquid concentrations, or to new users and can cause BOTH auditory and visual hallucinations.  Most likely not on the magnitude as classified hallucinogens.  

If any athletes took any too much of the aforementioned cannaboids they would be so knocked off their butts they would probably miss practice.  Marijuana is more refined than it ever has been.

It also depends on the person as well on a cognative level.  THC is considered a psychedelic but not a hallucinogen.  I know it sounds like a contradiction and it is, but that's just kind of the way THC works lol.  Science is screwed up.........

I'm indifferent on the subject with regards to athletes.  I see no problem with athletes smoking a bit at all.  However if it impacts them negatively than there may be a problem.  I think a lot of it boils down to at this time it's still illegal in most states, these athletes get paid millions so they should quit during the football season, ect.  It's a good debate.  I personally think it needs to be decriminalized at the very least on a nation wide level.  

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 6:45 PM, BertJones said:

I'm sure plenty of  starters/stars are doing it and no one will bust them any time soon

They will get busted if their not smart about it. There is really only a small percentage of players who do get a positive test because most know how to play the system. It's the ones who have no self control that get busted.

On 7/27/2016 at 10:57 PM, crazycolt1 said:

While I am sure no expert in the scientific study of cannabis there have been study's that show there is a change in the body's chemicals that shows cannabis is more than mentally addictive. My personal experience of being a long time user is it takes a lot of will power not to smoke. Even at my age fighting the mind set of smoking is very hard. Smoking and kicking back listening to classic rock is something I still enjoy very much and do from time to time. But alias, I have grandkids and great grandkids that I have to keep in mind. While I have never hidden anything I have done in the past it's tough to balance the advice to give.

You just said, fighting the MINDSET is tough. Its a mindset with weed. You miss the high. That's natural, but its not a sign you were ever physically addicted. Alcoholics, heroin addicts, coke addicts...these people have actual physical reactions to coming off those respective drugs. 

7 hours ago, Jason_S said:

You just said, fighting the MINDSET is tough. Its a mindset with weed. You miss the high. That's natural, but its not a sign you were ever physically addicted. Alcoholics, heroin addicts, coke addicts...these people have actual physical reactions to coming off those respective drugs. 

There have been studies to show there is more to it. It changes chemicals in your body that are not just physical. There is more to cannabis than just THC. Addiction is addiction no matter if some thinks it's nothing but a physical  addiction. Cannabis smokers have a hard time accepting anything that might not go with what they tell themselves.  I been there so I have a little knowledge of it.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

There have been studies to show there is more to it. It changes chemicals in your body that are not just physical. There is more to cannabis than just THC. Addiction is addiction no matter if some thinks it's nothing but a physical  addiction. Cannabis smokers have a hard time accepting anything that might not go with what they tell themselves.  I been there so I have a little knowledge of it.

To the bolded portion...that's simply not true.  If that were the case, then treating all types of addiction would be the same, but that's not the case.  There is absolutely a difference between a substance being physically addictive and mentally addictive.  

21 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

To the bolded portion...that's simply not true.  If that were the case, then treating all types of addiction would be the same, but that's not the case.  There is absolutely a difference between a substance being physically addictive and mentally addictive.  

Addiction treatment is not the same for all addictions. Having a mental addiction is just as real as a physical one regardless of calling it a non physical addiction. Cannabis does have negative effects other than just a mental addiction on the body. Mental health and what cannabis does to the balances of dopamine receptors in the brain is not out of the realm. Just because you may or may not agree with those studies does not mean they are wrong. Are you any more qualified to prove or disprove these studies anymore than I am? You choose to dismiss these studies because of your opinion and not on fact.

47 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Addiction treatment is not the same for all addictions. Having a mental addiction is just as real as a physical one regardless of calling it a non physical addiction. Cannabis does have negative effects other than just a mental addiction on the body. Mental health and what cannabis does to the balances of dopamine receptors in the brain is not out of the realm. Just because you may or may not agree with those studies does not mean they are wrong. Are you any more qualified to prove or disprove these studies anymore than I am? You choose to dismiss these studies because of your opinion and not on fact.

first, all you've done is speak of these "studies".  How about a link to any one of these studies you're referring to?  Other wise I could just as easily say there are studies that show that your studies are wrong.

Second, it's unfortunate but medical studies can easily be manipulated.  There are some studies that show being gay is a choice, while others show that gay people are born gay, while others say being gay comes down to environmental factors.  I don't mean to bring up a such a touchy subject and only do so to show that different medical studies on the same topic can still yield different results.

Third, I never said that having a mental addiction was not as real as a physical addiction.  What I have been saying is that weed itself does not have physically addictive properties like tobacco, alcohol, meth, coke etc.  

Fourth, yes this is all my opinion, but that opinion is based on experience...of mine and people I've been close to over the years.

Lastly, "Addiction treatment is not the same for all addictions."  Yeah no kidding...that's why I said that exact thing in my previous post. :P

On August 1, 2016 at 7:15 AM, Valpo2004 said:

It's not a PED, nor does the NFL classify it as one, nor test or punish players like it is one.

The NFL Steroid Policy is separate from the Substance Abuse Policy.  

Marijuana becomes the number 1 priority of most people who smoke it after only a few times. That's my biggest problem with it and that problem, regardless of how much I care about it, will always be no matter what the marijuana soldiers come up with to justify smoking it.

On August 1, 2016 at 9:00 AM, Valpo2004 said:
17 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Marijuana becomes the number 1 priority of most people who smoke it after only a few times. That's my biggest problem with it and that problem, regardless of how much I care about it, will always be no matter what the marijuana soldiers come up with to justify smoking it.

18 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

I doubt you can back up that claim with any evidence.

54 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Really you don't know anybody who has dropped out of school just to smoke weed, quit a job, stole money, etc all just to smoke weed. I doubt that.

I can see this is a waste of time.

15 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Lol does the worn out show me evidence routine, then does it again after I don't humor it, then when I do doesn't want to talk anymore. Also how illuminating it is that you break your BOTT character in this thread hmmmmmm...

You are a buffoon 

23 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Lol does the worn out show me evidence routine, then does it again after I don't humor it, then when I do doesn't want to talk anymore. Also how illuminating it is that you break your BOTT character in this thread hmmmmmm...

What evidence did you show?  Just saying " really, you don't know anyone who..." is not even close to evidence of your original claim about "most people who smoke it".

Sure, there are probably some people out there like you describe, but,they are by far the minority. Honestly it sounds like you're describing a heroin addict or a coke head...not a pot smoker.

On 8/7/2016 at 5:46 PM, BloodyChamp said:

Really you don't know anybody who has dropped out of school just to smoke weed, quit a job, stole money, etc all just to smoke weed. I doubt that.

I actually do not now nor have I ever known anyone like that, and I have known many a pot head in the past 15ish years.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:19 PM, Jason_S said:

first, all you've done is speak of these "studies".  How about a link to any one of these studies you're referring to?  Other wise I could just as easily say there are studies that show that your studies are wrong.

Second, it's unfortunate but medical studies can easily be manipulated.  There are some studies that show being gay is a choice, while others show that gay people are born gay, while others say being gay comes down to environmental factors.  I don't mean to bring up a such a touchy subject and only do so to show that different medical studies on the same topic can still yield different results.

Third, I never said that having a mental addiction was not as real as a physical addiction.  What I have been saying is that weed itself does not have physically addictive properties like tobacco, alcohol, meth, coke etc.  

Fourth, yes this is all my opinion, but that opinion is based on experience...of mine and people I've been close to over the years.

Lastly, "Addiction treatment is not the same for all addictions."  Yeah no kidding...that's why I said that exact thing in my previous post. :P

So you want to discard my personal experience from smoking and being around a lot of cannabis smokers over the last 50 plus years? I have seen every realm of cannabis smokers from the ones who have lead a very productive life to the ones who live their every day life looking for that next high. I have seen parents pawn and sell their own kids Christmas presents to buy their weed. I have seen some who will steal from their own family to supply their pot money. The spectrum of cannabis use knows no limits. To say that cannabis use has no addiction is far from the truth. Have you ever been around someone who uses cannabis on a regular bases and been around them when they cant either get some or have none?  There is a real change in their personality. Most get very agitated very easily and have a problem with coping with everyday life because they have become used to being pacified. Those are actions of addiction no matter if you think it is mental. Gambling is a real addiction and is looked at like a real addiction. We even have certain classes of sex addiction. Is that mental? The oldest excuse in the world of pot smokers is cannabis is natural because it's a plant and call it mother nature. That's the biggest pile of horse dung I have ever heard. We have had some great debates on this subject with just about every angle covered by quite a few forum members. We have stayed away from the political aspect and have only touched slightly on it. Good stuff.

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

To say that cannabis use has no addiction is far from the truth

Then it's a really good thing I never said that, huh? 

Oh and to your point about gambling and sex addictions...yes those are both mental addictions as well. 

1 hour ago, Jason_S said:

Then it's a really good thing I never said that, huh? 

Oh and to your point about gambling and sex addictions...yes those are both mental addictions as well. 

Yes and no, but the attitude is because weed is suppose to be a mental addiction it is not really an addiction by the majority of pot smokers. I am an advocate for the legalization of cannabis but not for the same reasons as most think. I look at it in the negative political and legal system references and how it effects those two money making ventures for those involved. While cannabis has come a long way as far as being accepted it's one of the most money making issues for law enforcement, judges, lawyers and the jail/prison systems. Not to mention the big drug companies not wanting anything to cut into their profit system. There is where the biggest hurdles are yet to be changed. As long as Eli Lilly and companies like that throw billions into the political and legal system, change is going to real slow.

All this talk about addiction and dependency is all a mute point.  The NFL floods players with opiods that ARE addictive and DO cause dependencies and nobody is up in arms about the NFL getting players off of them.  And they also have crazy side effects like kidney failure.

The only reason weed is illegal/tested for in the NFL is for political reasons.  And for political reasons weed is on the Schedule I list of the most dangerous drugs.  It is on the list with LSD and ecstasy.  But cocaine is on the Schedule II list which is a step down in terms of danger and dependence....... RIGHT.

It's all about money and politics.

As for the NFL, marijuana is a much safer pain manager than opioids.  But the NFL with their political asylum and partnership with big pharm will continue to distribute standard pain meds instead of trying something different that won't lead players down an already dark path.

I'll just leave this here since most people will want to argue.  I will let you read it from the crazy maniac horses mouth, who seems pretty reasonable now........http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/kyle-turley-marijuana_us_563cdc01e4b0411d3070c0bf