Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

SIAP: Zach Mettenberger

Surprised I didn't see a thread to this effect but the Titans waived him.  Would love to see the Colts pick him up as a backup.  

His stats arn't great but name me a backup who's stats are great.  They are way better then Scott Tolzien's stats.

In fact it makes me sort of curious as to why the Titans let him go.  He seemed like a decent backup.  

43 minutes ago, krunk said:

I believe they got rid of him because they wanted more of a mentor type guy around Mariota which is why they brought in Matt Cassel. 

Yeah just saw that they had Matt Cassel. . . That explains it.

However for us, he would be an upgrade over Tolzien.  

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Yeah just saw that they had Matt Cassel. . . That explains it.

However for us, he would be an upgrade over Tolzien.  

Maybe.  His W-L record and stats don't say a whole bunch, but neither do Tolziens either.  Tolzien has some history with Luck and also what we will be running so he's got a little bit of a leg up.  Mettenberger shouldn't have any problems with the deep passing game though.

37 minutes ago, krunk said:

Maybe.  His W-L record and stats don't say a whole bunch, but neither do Tolziens either.  Tolzien has some history with Luck and also what we will be running so he's got a little bit of a leg up.  Mettenberger shouldn't have any problems with the deep passing game though.

That maybe true with his W-L record but not very many QB's have had success with the Titans.  

Any backup with a decent W/L record is signed by this point anyways.  

His passing stats say Mettenberger is better.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

His record wasn't all his fault either that's what happens when you play for a garbage team.

I don't see Mettenberger as an upgrade over Tolzein at all.

What is Mettenberger going to be able to help Andrew Luck with?        Answer:   Almost nothing.

Tolzein has been in a good number of comparable system in his short career.     His best tools is his brains over his physical talent.

Mettenberger has a recent past as a knucklehead.     That's why he fell to the 6th round.     And now he's been cut.     And everyone is all excited over his physical skills.

Sorry,    but yawn.......

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't see Mettenberger as an upgrade over Tolzein at all.

What is Mettenberger going to be able to help Andrew Luck with?        Answer:   Almost nothing.

Tolzein has been in a good number of comparable system in his short career.     His best tools is his brains over his physical talent.

Mettenberger has a recent past as a knucklehead.     That's why he fell to the 6th round.     And now he's been cut.     And everyone is all excited over his physical skills.

Sorry,    but yawn.......

I know the chargers claimed him but I want to point out that I don't think Luck needs any more help from his backups.  

He just needs a guy who can step in and not foul everything up if Luck has to be out a couple of games.

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

I know the chargers claimed him but I want to point out that I don't think Luck needs any more help from his backups.  

He just needs a guy who can step in and not foul everything up if Luck has to be out a couple of games.

That's right.     To quote you:   "Not foul up"....

That hasn't been Mettenberger's way.     Tolzein plays with his brains,  Mettenberger with his physical tools.  

I'll stay with the guy we took.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

That's right.     To quote you:   "Not foul up"....

That hasn't been Mettenberger's way.     Tolzein plays with his brains,  Mettenberger with his physical tools.  

I'll stay with the guy we took.

Tolzein's brains have led to only 1 TD and 5 INt's. . . Not brainy enough.

Mettenberger's stats arn't super great, but they are way better then that.

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I don't care about those stats.    I care about what he brings to Luck.

And the answer there is far more than what Mettenberger does.     Not even close.

• 5 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

I would have went after Tebow.

Would be a great 3rd and 1-2 yards player with runs up the middle. Also no history of injury at all.

He is not even an NFL player. I think Luck would be better at picking up a couple of yards than Tebow would be. Just saying.

5 hours ago, rock8591 said:

I would have went after Tebow.

Would be a great 3rd and 1-2 yards player with runs up the middle. Also no history of injury at all.

Perhaps you haven't noticed,  but all 32 teams have avoided Tebow.

That should tell you something.....

On 5/18/2016 at 11:14 AM, Valpo2004 said:

You saw Luck play last year...right?   Only 55% completion percentage and only 15/12 TD/INT ratio.  If that's the best he can do he definitely still needs help from his backup.

On 5/18/2016 at 1:15 PM, Valpo2004 said:

I remember people saying Titans got a round 1 QB talent in round 6, because of injuries and off field problems.  Turns out that Mettenberger is exactly what he was drafted at, yet another day 3 QB.  His numbers are in the neighborhood of what history predicts for quarterbacks drafted on Day 3.  On average, day 3 QB's will play two NFL seasons, never become the team's primary starter, will post a 2-5 career record (if they're lucky), complete 54.7 percent of their passes and throw three touchdowns against six interceptions.

There were 8 other day 3 QB's that year- Logan Thomas, Tom Savage, Aaron Murray, AJ McCarron, David Fales, Keith Wenning, Tajh Boyd and Garrett Gilbert.  Only a couple of these guys even got on the field, and only because of injuries above them on the depth chart; though all were on a roster or practice squad except Boyd.  I feel it is safe to assume there are no 6th round Tom Brady's in that group.