Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OL Coach Joe Philbin and another Offer....

NewColtsFan

Apparently, Philbon was offered the OL Coach job with the Giants.    He and new HC Ben McAdoo are old friends and coached together.

This story talks about picking the Colts over the Giants....

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/16806/joe-philbin-passed-up-giants-job-to-be-back-in-the-midwest-protect-andrew-luck

One last thing.....    ESPN.com lists the "most important off-season acquisition" for each NFL team.

For the Colts,  it wasn't a player,  either a free agent signing or a draft pick.       

It was Joe Philbin!        I think that's a good sign, and hope it turns out to be true....

I still say that conversation with Joe Philbin as he passes by Vontae Davis in the hallway is going to be SO awkward. Philbin will be like, "Oh uhh, Vontae, fancy meeting you here... So uhh, how's the Grandma?"

The interesting piece I took from that article is the part about Joe Philbin building his house. He can 'say' he is here for a long time (while secretly hoping for a bigger gig somewhere else), but you don't build a house for your family on the chance you might move on. I think he is putting down roots and plans on staying. And that kind of continuity is what builds year-over-year success.

3 minutes ago, lester said:

The interesting piece I took from that article is the part about Joe Philbin building his house. He can 'say' he is here for a long time (while secretly hoping for a bigger gig somewhere else), but you don't build a house for your family on the chance you might move on. I think he is putting down roots and plans on staying. And that kind of continuity is what builds year-over-year success.

If you've been earning the silly kind of money that head coaches in the NFL do you might. 

8 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

I still say that conversation with Joe Philbin as he passes by Vontae Davis in the hallway is going to be SO awkward. Philbin will be like, "Oh uhh, Vontae, fancy meeting you here... So uhh, how's the Grandma?"

"Sorry, can't talk coach, I have to go to the bathroom."

1 hour ago, lester said:

I think if the Colts' offense and particularly the o'line perform well this year and some team wants to make him their OC, it will matter very little that he built a house in Indy.  That will not be the thing holding him back if he wants the job.

10 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I think if the Colts' offense and particularly the o'line perform well this year and some team wants to make him their OC, it will matter very little that he built a house in Indy.  That will not be the thing holding him back if he wants the job.

Don't you think they would come to Chud first based on success this year?

10 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

One thing you might be overlooking? He is the assistant head coach along with being the offensive line coach. Taking a OC job would be taking a step down IMO.

16 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

One thing you might be overlooking? He is the assistant head coach along with being the offensive line coach. Taking a OC job would be taking a step down IMO.

No it wouldn't.  Chud was an Asst HC last year and he became the OC.  Asst HC is nothing more than a resume builder/mentor type program in the NFL.

39 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Between the two roles that he has right now, OL coach and Assistant Head Coach it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's not getting paid OC money.  Otherwise he could have taken an OC job probably in New York or elsewhere I think. Could be wrong.

3 hours ago, lester said:

When you make NFL coaching money you do.

Guy probably makes 6 figures at least. . . You expect him to put his wife and kids up in a 2 bedroom apartment??

Besides when you are an NFL coach you don't really put down roots anywhere.  

12 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

No it wouldn't.  Chud was an Asst HC last year and he became the OC.  Asst HC is nothing more than a resume builder/mentor type program in the NFL.

Coffee would it be wrong to reason that carrying that Assistant HC moniker possibly allows for a higher pay grade?  I mean you're asking the OL coach to put more into his job than a traditional Line coach.  I'm thinking between the two things I could see him getting paid similar to an OC.  I think it's a little more than just a resume builder as it appears to come with more responsibilities.  I could be wrong though.  I do see where you are coming from though.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Coffee would it be wrong to reason that carrying that Assistant HC moniker possibly allows for a higher pay grade?  I mean you're asking the OL coach to put more into his job than a traditional Line coach.  I'm thinking between the two things I could see him getting paid similar to an OC.  I think it's a little more than just a resume builder as it appears to come with more responsibilities.  I could be wrong though.  I do see where you are coming from though.

Yes, more pay and more responsibility goes along with it, I didn't mean to indicate that it was a title only.

3 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

It's not an opinion, it's information I've learned over the years by talking with guys that coach in the NCAA and NFL.

Well by all means lets make this into an argument being you cant accept someone has a different opinion.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well by all means lets make this into an argument being you cant accept someone has a different opinion.

LOL, I can and do accept different opinions all the time.  This is not a case of you having a different opinion, it's a case of you saying that something that is a fact is my opinion.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He's giving you incite into what he learned. He's not trying to argue with you.  Coffee actually does coach so when he says something to me I take it as incite.

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

LOL, I can and do accept different opinions all the time.  This is not a case of you having a different opinion, it's a case of you saying that something that is a fact is my opinion.

Your argumentative nature is showing.

23 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

When you make NFL coaching money you do.

Guy probably makes 6 figures at least. . . You expect him to put his wife and kids up in a 2 bedroom apartment??

Besides when you are an NFL coach you don't really put down roots anywhere.  

dude probably makes 7 figures... He certainly would have been making 7 figures during his term as the Dolphins HC.

19 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yes, more pay and more responsibility goes along with it, I didn't mean to indicate that it was a title only.

If you didn't mean to indicate that it was just a title then why did you say Assistant HC was nothing more than a resume/mentor type of program in the NFL? Those are your very words.

44 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

dude probably makes 7 figures... He certainly would have been making 7 figures during his term as the Dolphins HC.

I don't think NFL position coaches make 7 figures.  

I'm not even sure that NFL coordinators make 7 figures.  

He certainly made 7 figures as HC of the fins, so he has money anyways.  Either way, I agree with you that there is no reason to believe that him buying a home in the area means he's here to stay.  He's here as long as the Colts want to continue to employ him and no one else is offering him a promotion (likely a coordinator position).  In the coaching world, neither situation can be counted on for very long.  

Shoot my wife used to move around a lot because her dad was always taking different jobs in different parts of the South East.  He was well paid for those jobs and they ALWAYS bought a new home where ever they went to live.  And sometimes they didn't live in those homes for even a year.

I've been married to my wife for 6 years now and her parents have already moved three times since we've gotten married.  And they bought a home each time they've moved.  

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

He certainly made 7 figures as HC of the fins, so he has money anyways.  Either way, there is no reason to believe that him buying a home in the area means he's here to stay.  He's here as long as the Colts want to continue to employ him and no one else is offering him a promotion (likely a coordinator position).  In the coaching world, neither situation can be counted on for very long.  

Maybe not, but yeah my point was the dude has the money to build a house and it doesnt tie him down.

35 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Your argumentative nature is showing.

22 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you didn't mean to indicate that it was just a title then why did you say Assistant HC was nothing more than a resume/mentor type of program in the NFL? Those are your very words.

Yeah but it's my argumentative side that is showing.

1 minute ago, Shafty138 said:

He had good OL's when he coached them at Iowa, and when he was the assistant OL coach in GB, and as OL coach in GB.....albeit it was only 1 yr as OL coach before becoming a successful OC

He was OL coach in Greenbay from 2004 - 2006.

He was also TE coach alongside that in the 2004-2005 season.

44 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Because mentoring is hard work.

If that is the case then why add it is nothing more than a resume? I just don't get how you down play it earlier and then make it an issue later? Oh well, it's no big deal.

20 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If that is the case then why add it is nothing more than a resume? I just don't get how you down play it earlier and then make it an issue later? Oh well, it's no big deal.

Oh brother. I didn't downplay it, it's for the resume and a mentoring program.  I'm not sure which part of that is downplaying anything.  Mentoring is hardwork, having stuff to put on a resume is a good thing.

The only thing I was downplaying was your comment about being an OC being a step down from an Asst HC.

And just because an Asst HC/O-line coach gets more pay and has more responsibility than an o-line coach only, does not mean they are on the same level as an OC.

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Oh brother. I didn't downplay it, it's for the resume and a mentoring program.  I'm not sure which part of that is downplaying anything.  Mentoring is hardwork, having stuff to put on a resume is a good thing.

The only thing I was downplaying was your comment about being an OC being a step down from an Asst HC.

I guess that would depend on the contract and pay involved with each individual. Being a assistant head coach is farther up the chain of command than an OC IMO. If you have a different opinion it is what it is. A difference of opinions.

5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I wonder, if in the back of his mind he's thinking "If the wheels fall off, like they did last season, I could be the next HC."?

Nah.

He should be thinking about being the eventual OC.  If the Colts offense performs like I think it will, Chud will be getting offers.  And if Philbin desires to be a HC again, there is no better prerequisite than being an OC of an elite offense.

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

He certainly made 7 figures as HC of the fins, so he has money anyways.  Either way, I agree with you that there is no reason to believe that him buying a home in the area means he's here to stay.  He's here as long as the Colts want to continue to employ him and no one else is offering him a promotion (likely a coordinator position).  In the coaching world, neither situation can be counted on for very long.  

Shoot my wife used to move around a lot because her dad was always taking different jobs in different parts of the South East.  He was well paid for those jobs and they ALWAYS bought a new home where ever they went to live.  And sometimes they didn't live in those homes for even a year.

I've been married to my wife for 6 years now and her parents have already moved three times since we've gotten married.  And they bought a home each time they've moved.  

The best coordinators can make 7 figures.      Law of supply and demand.

Not many great ones,  so they get paid very well.