Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

snap numbers for wide receivers yesterday

Stephen

Yeah, but did you see Steeler receivers having to jump and expose themselves for passes? Look, Andrew was under duress yesterday. He had some poor throws. But, you cant always blame the receivers when its the quarterbacks responsibility to get them the ball where they need to have it. Saying that Nicks was the whole problem only half covers it.

I was blaming just Nicks for the non-effort factor, i mean Luck made poor decisions the pick-6(although i could be WR mistake we never know for sure because if it was Luck mistake Nicks isn't dumb to throw him under the bus and well Andrew is Andrew), on the fist series on the 3 and 10 in the Redzone Andrew had open Allen but he was forcing the passes to Nicks, and Andrew has made many bad calls the last couple of weeks and needs to stop forcing the ball(that's because he feels the necessity of comeback) but also this game was awful the bright side is that we found a good #2/3 WR on Moncrief and maybe Nicks is gonna be benched next week but remember that Pagano isn't the kind of guy who benches someone right away(DHB).

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never said Whalen is the answer but I also don't think that it's necessarily true that Nicks wouldn't be here, regardless, since Whalen is still young and progressing. Everything else I can agree with. I'd love to see Nicks perform but I'm losing more confidence every week when he continues to be invisible. I was ecstatic when we signed him. I'm extremely surprised and disappointed at how poorly it's gone for him here thus far.

I agree with that statement 100%. I felt hed stretch the field even more for the rest of the guys at least in a few cases. Hopefully, it works out. Maybe, He just needs to work harder with Luck now that teams may not deal with him as a serious threat and give him a little more room. 

There are players that want to be great. And some who want a great paycheck.. nicks doesnt seem to play hard.. but in his defense i see lots of uncatchable balls his way.. and for people saying he runs the wrong routes.. how the hell you know?. Are you a master of the colts playbook?

I was getting ready to like this until you smarted off.  :spit: It is pretty obvious to me that when Luck continuously throws to a 'spot' and Nicks is not there?  He is turned the other way.  He needs to get with it or get run out of town by Moncrief.

Not sure what the love affair is with Whalen.  He got late snaps when the DBs were giving away the short gains.  There is a reason he doesn't get early snaps, he can't get separation in tight coverage.

Clearly Moncrief needs more snaps in this offense.  He can stretch defense vertically and horizontally in ways that neither Nicks nor Wayne can.  

Baloney. Nix sucks but Chucky sticks with less than our best frequently.

Whalen is our returner is the 1a answer.

A shame they signed Nix and lost Da`Rick because of it.

Yeah, but did you see Steeler receivers having to jump and expose themselves for passes? Look, Andrew was under duress yesterday. He had some poor throws. But, you cant always blame the receivers when its the quarterbacks responsibility to get them the ball where they need to have it. Saying that Nicks was the whole problem only half covers it.

I think this why Pagano won't be so quick to demote Nicks to the 4th WR next Monday night against the Giants.  He going to give Nicks a chance to break out against his former team.

Whalen and Nicks are the same type of receiver. Nicks is the better receiver but that style of receiver is completely reliant upon chemistry, of which, Whalen and Luck have oodles and Nicks and Luck have none. Nicks is the type of receiver that won't create much natural separation but excels at making tough catches in traffic. Luck tries to improvise and Nicks isn't used to that, I think Luck needs to trust Nicks to run his route, no more and no less for right now. Whalen has had ample time to figure out what Luck wants and Nicks hasn't.

Moncrief has been here about the same amount of time Nicks has, and their timing seems a ton better than Luck and Nicks so....

Nicks needs to wake himself from the dead....that many snaps...1 catch?

He is not running the correct routes....he is not running through his routes allowing the defense a chance to have his cover go make the tackle. He is not getting off of the line of scrimmage....He seems to not care about anything.

I agree. Heck as bad as DHB was, he at least got seperation and looked like he was at least giving effort even though his hands suck badly. Nicks just seems lazy to me and doesn't give much effort.

I think that the Steelers had Nicks scouted better than Moncrief and thats why he had a bad game to a certain extent. Nicks has done some great things in the past and he garnered more attention. Moncrief had better opportunities and, to his credit, took advantage of them. Remember last year when Rogers put up the great numbers against the Bengals, the next game, the opposition scouted him and took him out of the game for the most part. So, lets see how Moncrief does once hes viewed as a legitimate threat and scouted better.

Additionally, if Nicks cant reach the balls that are thrown his way, why does he get the blame for it? Maybe Andrew saw the tighter coverage on him and made some uncatchable throws. The pick six was late to Nicks and very slow to develop. Just what occurs on normal pick sixs' in the NFL. As much as everyone seems to love Whalen, if he was the answer, NIcks wouldnt even be on the squad.

Did all our other opponents have Nicks scouted better too? Nicks hasn't really done anything note worthy in any game this year. Hes pretty much been useless.

I think this why Pagano won't be so quick to demote Nicks to the 4th WR next Monday night against the Giants.  He going to give Nicks a chance to break out against his former team.

Think he should be real quick to demote  Nicks  , hes lazy and a detrimate to this offense. Not basing this off this game ,Im basing it on watching him closely all year. Moncrief gives effort and catches the ball and IMO has the ability to do more after the catch than any other receiver on this team including TY . TY is a hair faster but Donte can run over a lot of corners.

Think he should be real quick to demote  Nicks  , hes lazy and a detrimate to this offense. Not basing this off this game ,Im basing it on watching him closely all year. Moncrief gives effort and catches the ball and IMO has the ability to do more after the catch than any other receiver on this team including TY . TY is a hair faster but Donte can run over a lot of corners.

I do agree Nicks will get a good shot to prove himself against the Giants.  If he is not motivated in that game there is truly something wrong with him beyond football.  :)  I have this funny feeling that the microscope is on him......now.

I do agree Nicks will get a good shot to prove himself against the Giants.  If he is not motivated in that game there is truly something wrong with him beyond football.   :)  I have this funny feeling that the microscope is on him......now.

Yes Brother probably. Funny thing is I know he has talent , but show me how hes used it sense hes been here. 

Nicks needs to wake himself from the dead....that many snaps...1 catch?

He is not running the correct routes....he is not running through his routes allowing the defense a chance to have his cover go make the tackle.  He is not getting off of the line of scrimmage....He seems to not care about anything.

How do you people know he's not running the right routes? Do you know the play book? Are you one of the coaches? Are you an offensive coordinator?

How do you people know he's not running the right routes? Do you know the play book? Are you one of the coaches? Are you an offensive coordinator?

I'll give you that without fully having an insight into the playbook and play calling you can't 100% judge if he's run the correct route. You get an indication though if the QB throws the ball in the completely the wrong that one of them has messed up and my money would be on Nicks lately.

You also don't need to have a copy of the playbook to see he's running some sloppy routes at times. 

I analyze the game.  I do not watch it.  I see it 3 times every play during the game and can go back again.  Half of the time Nicks is not even looking when the ball is thrown his way.(OK maybe not half.)

What is worse than the plays are his stopping of routes.....run until you can get open and Luck will find you....see TY Hilton for the hustle needed.

No...not a coordinator....but I play one on TV  :spit:

Does everyone whose name starts with dude or involves dude like to make snide comments?  Just checking.  carry on our wayward son.

I'll give you that without fully having an insight into the playbook and play calling you can't 100% judge if he's run the correct route. You get an indication though if the QB throws the ball in the completely the wrong that one of them has messed up and my money would be on Nicks lately.

You also don't need to have a copy of the playbook to see he's running some sloppy routes at times. 

Thank you.

Its pretty easy to tell. Lucks and Nicks have not been on the same page all year. Its quite obvious that Nicks either doesn't care, or is having trouble remembering which routes to run because clearly hes not in the same spot that Luck throws to many times.

Doesn't really take a genius to see it

One guy is a Giant retread and the other is a Stanford grad that had the playbook down after a 3 hour plan ride in his rookie year. The pick 6 Sunday had Luck throwing to a spot on the sideline and Nicks streaking down the field. It doesn't take super intelligence to figure one of these guys had the play wrong. I don't think most of the football world would think it would be Luck. Hope that helps a bit dude.

One guy is a Giant retread and the other is a Stanford grad that had the playbook down after a 3 hour plan ride in his rookie year. 

I know that's the conventional wisdom in Indy, but no QB ever has it "down" after a plane ride with zero game experience under his belt.  And some of you had that Giant retread as the missing piece for this offense to score it's way to a Super Bowl during the off season.

One guy is a Giant retread and the other is a Stanford grad that had the playbook down after a 3 hour plan ride in his rookie year. The pick 6 Sunday had Luck throwing to a spot on the sideline and Nicks streaking down the field. It doesn't take super intelligence to figure one of these guys had the play wrong. I don't think most of the football world would think it would be Luck. Hope that helps a bit dude.

I love this story,  but you don't quite have it down right....

Luck had a sizeable portion of the playbook down after a number of hours.    The assistant coaches had given Luck a section of the playbook.    Situational football.    It was NOT the entire playbook.    Just a good chunk of it.

Either way,  the point is clear.....  Luck's brain is not like everyone else's.   But even a guy with a near photographic memory can still have problems playing the game as Luck has demonstrated over his two and a half years.

I know that's the conventional wisdom in Indy, but no QB ever has it "down" after a plane ride with zero game experience under his belt.  And some of you had that Giant retread as the missing piece for this offense to score it's way to a Super Bowl during the off season.

What was reported was that Luck , who missed a lot of the early camps because of late graduation had a better grasp of the offense (which was new) than even the vet players. What I said was a little tongue in cheek as of coarse no one could ever learn an offense in 3 hours. I should have known better than give you something like that as you would take it literally . As for Nicks meaning a trip to the SB , you won't find anything like that in my 4000 posts and I can't take responsibility for the opinions of other people on this board. 

I love this story,  but you don't quite have it down right....

Luck had a sizeable portion of the playbook down after a number of hours.    The assistant coaches had given Luck a section of the playbook.    Situational football.    It was NOT the entire playbook.    Just a good chunk of it.

Either way,  the point is clear.....  Luck's brain is not like everyone else's.   But even a guy with a near photographic memory can still have problems playing the game as Luck has demonstrated over his two and a half years.

Of coarse not , it was an exaggeration on my part. That playbook is probably the size of the LA telephone book. 

I always love the "you people" crack.....    especially from you....

The point with Nicks is this.....    for whatever reasons,  Nicks is not performing well on the field.  

Playbook?    Timing?    Is he in good enough shape?    Whatever the reasons, he's had a half a season in an offense that is pass happy and he looks pretty lost out there.    

He's got a half season to pull it together.    He came to Indy on a 1-year deal so he could show the NFL that he's still got what it takes to be a top wide receiver.    He was hoping to get a big multi-year deal in '15.     That's not looking so good right now.

Now, he's looking at another one or two year deal and for limited money.    Not what he was hoping for.

So,  the clock is ticking......   he's got to shape up, or his future in Indy will be limited.....

And, for the record,  I was very much in favor of the signing and taking our chances with Nicks.   So far,  it hasn't worked out.

I analyze the game. I do not watch it. I see it 3 times every play during the game and can go back again. Half of the time Nicks is not even looking when the ball is thrown his way.(OK maybe not half.)

What is worse than the plays are his stopping of routes.....run until you can get open and Luck will find you....see TY Hilton for the hustle needed.

No...not a coordinator....but I play one on TV :spit:

Does everyone whose name starts with dude or involves dude like to make snide comments? Just checking. carry on our wayward son.

Curse you, now the song is stuck in my head[emoji12]

In my opinion, we should increase the playing time for Moncrief and Whalen.

I would like to see Hilton, Moncrief, and Whalen as our 3 wide sets for the next few weeks.

whalen no thank you, he wouldn't be on the team if I was coach but that's another story