Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

keys to a victory on saturday

CR91

- we have to stay with the run. their defense is gonna make sure to take away our big play ala deep to ty which means we need to stay patient with the run if their gonna play a two deep shell all day

- take what the defense gives you. if theres something negative about luck its that he trys to make the play on every down which on some occasions leads to bad decisions. take your time and play within the scheme of the defense.

- get brady off his spot. I think this is what our defense is best against pocket passers because theres no threat for them to get out of the pocket so we can come from all places without having to worry about them scrambling.

- play man on every down. these wrs are not world beaters. their good, but can be defended. everyone knows the best way to beat brady is to pressure him and that means we need him to hold on to the ball.

- contain their run. surprisingly enough the pats are arguably a better running team then passing team. honestly I cant see us slowing down their run, but the idea of dropping down our safeties can help, but then the problem becomes how well our CBs can handle their wrs one-on-one and that imo will be the key to whether or not we can slow down their offense.

-no ST mishaps. if you really think about what really hurts us against the patriots, its not tom brady its the big plays we give up on STs. perfect example of last year when eldenman scored on ST and after that game got away from us. ellis hobbs and his big returns over the years.

I just told one of my friends our key to success will need to be Run game and screen passes. The weather will be crap and passing the deep ball will not be a factor this week. I think its going to come down to pounding the rock with Brown and Trent. Trent is upset with his fumble last week so He will be running Angry ( could be a good Thing) I expect a lot of runs, screens, pistol formation, no huddle and short to intermediate passes. Bill is going to take TY and Fleener out of the game, he is also going to try and blitz luck. If we can run the no huddle, they wont be able to switch from their blitz packages to nickle or dime coverage packages. If we can manage to do the things on offense that i said, I think we have this game in the bag...the only way we lose is ST 

Run the ball and keep running the ball and oh yeah run the ball some more. They need to play this game exactly like San Diego played Denver in Denver and how they played Cincinnati last week. Run to keep the ball out of Brady's hands. Running will also minimize our chances of defensive TDs occurring like the 2 pick 6s Luck through last year. 

Unless there's gale force winds, the weather isn't going to have much of an effect on the passing game.  They'll keep the field tarped so it will be fine.  But I agree, running the ball is going to be a lot more important.

My dream game would be something like Cleveland did to them a few years ago - run the ball down their throats.  Cut their time of possession.  Play short ball.  Sort of what SD did to us this year.

Putting themselves into 3rd down and managable distances is huge. I think Luck needs to keep his head up and convert on those chances but also realize that a 3 yd scramble is just as good as pass completion if we are turning them into first downs. We basically need to win in the trenches. Offense and defensive lines have to step up and win their battles. Limit their run game and pressure Brady and we need to always be getting positive plays...no sacks no negative runs...stay ahead of the sticks. In the end though we probably still need to win the turnover battle....it won't be enough to win on offense..we will need a big play or two from the defense and while that is going to be hard to come by with Brady...he just doesn't lose without it happening....and even then he still over comes them usually...we need a takeaway or two. TDs and not FGs and limit their points in the redzone...blah blah blah. I guarantee if we are to win...someone or two on the defense will have to come up with a big play. Book it.

If the Patriots can't power run the ball and we limit the effectiveness of their screen game we will win. Its a relatively big if because the Pats are convinced they can run the ball and that it is their ticket to the Super Bowl. They won't give up on it until the clock/scoreboard dictates they do. So all year Chuck has said our plan is to stop the run and run the ball, we can win even if we don't run the ball well, but we will not win if we don't do what Chuck has preached all year Stop The Run!

Lots of good thoughts in these posts.

A less mobile Brady hopefully gets much more PT for Chapman.
RJF rushing inside in pass situations would be a plus.

This is definitely the Moment we need to run well enough to disrupt BB`s pass coverage disguises/Plans.

THEY better have a lead at half, cause PEP & Andrew HAVE the Answers! :cheer:

Call me crazy, but if this game comes down to our ability to run the ball, we aren't in good shape. Realistically, we've only had a few good games where we effectively ran the ball. All of the other games, we've struggled--so much so, that we've abandoned our power run game philosophy and have elected to go with a fast-paced, no-huddle approach. This approach has worked much better.

I would rather see the Patriots stop this approach before opting to change our game plan to a running one.

I'm gonna be worried alot more if we have to rely on running the ball. I think that could spell trouble for us. Were just too inconsistent with it. We will either be able to or we wont. And if its Satele at Center McGlynn at Guard then that's even worse. Hoping for the best.

DEFENSE:

MUST tackle well

MUST be accountable for assignments

MUST pressure T. Brady (has more time to throw, because of his O line, then almost any QB in the league).

OFFENSE:
Receivers MUST break free of heavy handed pass defenders, make catches through contact, and secure the ball (refs rarely call PI, illegal contact, or holding on Pats in their house).

Offense MUST be productive in red zone.

A. Luck must break their confusion schemes with key runs, not turn overs. 

SPECIAL TEAMS:

MUST make good decisions, be disciplined, tackle well and expect the unexpected.

Defensively, stopping Blount on early downs and forcing Brady into 3rd and 6+ is the key to winning vs the Patriots. Eventually the pass rush will get to him and the CB's will start jumping routes.

Offensively, high uptempo offense, no turnovers, and Brown needs at least 20+ touches. If those things happen will win the game.

We just watched the Colts get their offensive act together by opening up the offense and throwing short passes that move the chains and keeps them out of 3rd and long.  Then, running out of the spread with 7 in the box.  Why would we go back to just pounding the rock when we have 10 games that show we can't do that.  The Pats aren't going to want to put 8 in the box and have to single up on TY.  We can control the clock with short passes, screens and mixing in DB runs.  The O-line seems to get better running the ball in the 2nd half - I think the SF game is the only game I remember where we pound the rock successfully for 4 quarters.

On defense, its well documented - stop the run and get hits on Brady.  Need to make a play or two on ST.