Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Drake Nevis

1959Colts

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No they want the LB's to be the Hammers apparently. Mathis, Rayford, Walden, Werner, I guess because there isn't one pass rushing guy on the DL now IMO!

I disagree. Redding, rjf And Matthews can rush from the interior. Possibly moala and Hughes as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Nevis went to San Diego where he will tear us a new _____________. But that's ok, at least he is not in our division. I will miss that guy. He was absolutely a beast and a terror to opposing offenses. You basically have to game plan around him. I can imagine the news and waves he's going to make. The boards in San Diego are lighting up, they can't believe they slole him like they did. Newspapers as well. !!!

I guess our coaches are so relieved that he won't be tearing us a new one and dont have to spend all of their free time game planning for that game changer.

Nevis went to San Diego where he will tear us a new _____________. But that's ok, at least he is not in our division. I will miss that guy. He was absolutely a beast and a terror to opposing offenses. You basically have to game plan around him. I can imagine the news and waves he's going to make. The boards in San Diego are lighting up, they can't believe they slole him like they did. Newspapers as well. !!!

lmao

Nevis went to San Diego where he will tear us a new _____________.  But that's ok, at least he is not in our division.  I will miss that guy.  He was absolutely a beast and a terror to opposing offenses.  You basically have to game plan around him.  I can imagine the news and waves he's going to make.  The boards in San Diego are lighting up, they can't believe they slole him like they did.  Newspapers as well. !!!

Well, I guess it doesn't matter now that they cut him yesterday.  Wonder who picks him up now?

Well, I guess it doesn't matter now that they cut him yesterday.  Wonder who picks him up now?

We will get him back.  This is perfect.  PLEASE grigs, sign this guy.  he is a game changer. I wonder if the injury he came back from has affected him?  Can't imagine how SD chargers would release him.  C'mon grigs, cmon

I think Manusky should run more 4 man fronts for pass rush reasons and let Drake Nevis play UT. If he does so, I do think our pass rush will improve without blitzing, and we can still maintain the same 3-4 base with RJF playing 4-3 NT.

We really have got zero pass rush from the front 3.

Redding, RJF, Moala, Chapman, Franklin, have done little.

Could Nevis do worse?

I think Manusky should run more 4 man fronts for pass rush reasons and let Drake Nevis play UT. If he does so, I do think our pass rush will improve without blitzing, and we can still maintain the same 3-4 base with RJF playing 4-3 NT.

We run plenty of four man fronts, especially on passing downs. I don't think the problem is the linemen (although I still maintain that Nevis would fit perfectly in that front, and would like to have him back). The problem is the Joker, who is sometimes being used as a fifth rusher and not getting home. It's mostly Erik Walden who isn't good in that role, and I think we should take him off the field on passing downs when we go with a four man front. Freeman and Angerer were much better blitzing up the middle than anything Walden tried to do as a rusher on Sunday.

We run plenty of four man fronts, especially on passing downs. I don't think the problem is the linemen (although I still maintain that Nevis would fit perfectly in that front, and would like to have him back). The problem is the Joker, who is sometimes being used as a fifth rusher and not getting home. It's mostly Erik Walden who isn't good in that role, and I think we should take him off the field on passing downs when we go with a four man front. Freeman and Angerer were much better blitzing up the middle than anything Walden tried to do as a rusher on Sunday.

I was not one who jumped all over the Walden signing as a bad one, but through the first two weeks, it is sure not looking good. I wasn't necessarily expecting him to overly impress as a pass rusher, but he hasn't been impressive as a run defender either.

As for Nevis (not directed at you Superman), he has skills and talent but there is obviously something going on. A player does not get cut twice in less than a month for no reason.

I was not one who jumped all over the Walden signing as a bad one, but through the first two weeks, it is sure not looking good. I wasn't necessarily expecting him to overly impress as a pass rusher, but he hasn't been impressive as a run defender either.

As for Nevis (not directed at you Superman), he has skills and talent but there is obviously something going on. A player does not get cut twice in less than a month for no reason.

Nevis is still a square peg being tried to fit in a round hole both with the Colts and Chargers. However, the Chargers have the 4 man front pass rusher in Freeney and 4-3 UT in Corey Liguet who ran that in Illinois, so Nevis went to the wrong team again.

But we don't have a wealth of talent for the 4-3 UT in a 4 man front like the Chargers do, IMO. Chargers' issues have been secondary, BIG TIME, where CBs can't keep up with wideouts. They lost both starting CBs in Jammer and Cason. It is like us losing both VD and Toler, you can imagine :).

Nevis is still a square peg being tried to fit in a round hole both with the Colts and Chargers. However, the Chargers have the 4 man front pass rusher in Freeney and 4-3 UT in Corey Liguet who ran that in Illinois, so Nevis went to the wrong team again.

But we don't have a wealth of talent for the 4-3 UT in a 4 man front like the Chargers do, IMO. Chargers' issues have been secondary, BIG TIME, where CBs can't keep up with wideouts. They lost both starting CBs in Jammer and Cason. It is like us losing both VD and Toler, you can imagine :).

I just don't understand all the excuse making for Nevis. Saying he went to the wrong team where there is too much talent undermines the argument that he is a game changing player worthy of so much discussion and animosity towards him being cut. To me, it says he isn't as good as everyone talks him up to be or he would outplay the talent in front of him and demand a large roll. Talent supersedes all in the NFL, regardless of scheme, etc. Any team will figure out a way to utilize the skill set of a game changer. If Nevis were as good as everyone talks him up to be, he would be on a team starting or heavily contributing. He wouldn't be unemployed. Bottom line. And, yes, I'll eat my crow if he turns into a pro bowler.

I don't get the concern about Walden. It seems to me that 80% of the run plays are going away from him, which is by design, because he's mostly on the strongside. Pryor was purposely shifting action away from Walden, and toward Mathis and Werner. I think Walden has been B+ in setting the edge. He's not a punishing run defender like you'd expect a middle linebacker to be, but he does a good job of holding the outside action, and a decent job of pursuing from the backside. The broken containment has almost always come from the other side of the field.

One glaring exception was Lamar Miller's touchdown run. Walden didn't get enough push against the tight end; if he had, it might have slowed Miller down enough for help to get there. But it's a fine line, because too much push and you're giving up the inside, but that's still better in that case than letting him get to the outside. Was a nice play call by the Dolphins, but we didn't execute well.

So I don't think Walden has been perfect. But I think he's been far from problematic at setting the edge. 

I don't get the concern about Walden. It seems to me that 80% of the run plays are going away from him, which is by design, because he's mostly on the strongside. Pryor was purposely shifting action away from Walden, and toward Mathis and Werner. I think Walden has been B+ in setting the edge. He's not a punishing run defender like you'd expect a middle linebacker to be, but he does a good job of holding the outside action, and a decent job of pursuing from the backside. The broken containment has almost always come from the other side of the field.

One glaring exception was Lamar Miller's touchdown run. Walden didn't get enough push against the tight end; if he had, it might have slowed Miller down enough for help to get there. But it's a fine line, because too much push and you're giving up the inside, but that's still better in that case than letting him get to the outside. Was a nice play call by the Dolphins, but we didn't execute well.

So I don't think Walden has been perfect. But I think he's been far from problematic at setting the edge. 

That's a good point--I think the mistakes have jumped out at me more than the solid play in the run game.