Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It's Looking Like Dwight Freeney Will Not Be A Colt Next Year (Not Confirmed Yet)

Andy

My league source is telling me that the Colts are preparing to release Dwight Freeney as they are not getting good offers for him. He says an NFC team was interested, but didn't give him a good deal. He said that the Colts will either try to trade him for a good deal or they'll just release him. It looks like the Colts will get some cap space, and that there will be an empty spot in our pass rush :(. Mathis will be the new face of pass rushing in Indy. I'll post a link once it is confirmed. You heard it here first.

**I posted this because this is not a rumour, it's more of a probable scenario. I'm not trying to go against the rules.**

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what team is going to trade for him unless he redoes his contract first with the Colts and the Colts eat some of the cash.

But once the Colts release him, his agent's phone is going to get hot.

I think that's the reason it's hard to get anything done for him, because he currently doesn't have an agent. Ordinarily, we would give his agent permission to contact other teams about an extension. I don't know what's happening at the moment, but I think any team trading for him would have to do it blindly at this point.

My league source is telling me that the Colts are preparing to release Dwight Freeney as they are not getting good offers for him. He says an NFC team was interested, but didn't give him a good deal. He said that the Colts will either try to trade him for a good deal or they'll just release him. It looks like the Colts will get some cap space, and that there will be an empty spot in our pass rush :(. Mathis will be the new face of pass rushing in Indy. I'll post a link once it is confirmed. You heard it here first.

**I posted this because this is not a rumour, it's more of a probable scenario. I'm not trying to go against the rules.**

Why release him instead of taking the the deal? Even if it is crappy at least we get something in return, and if it really was an NFC team than he doesn't end up going to the Texans, Titans, etc ...

Got to be a blow to Dwight's ego if they are not getting any offers. What happened to those days where this guy was considered maybe the best pass rusher in the league? Too steep a contract for other teams?

Was kind of thinking the same. If true, ouch.

Why release him instead of taking the the deal? Even if it is crappy at least we get something in return, and if it really was and NFC team than he doesn't end up going to the Texans, Titans, etc ...

Don't get mad at me I'm just the messenger. I think that the Colts really want good deals, and I think the Colts still have to pay some bonuses if they trade him. They can't just trade the bonuses with him. It would cost the Colts some money to trade him, so it has to be a good dela. That's what I think and that's the vibe Im getting. I dont really want to bother him too much, so I'll talk to him more tomorrow, but what i said in the original post was all I've got so far.

Don't get mad at me I'm just the messenger. I think that the Colts really want good deals, and I think the Colts still have to pay some bonuses if they trade him. They can't just trade the bonuses with him. It would cost the Colts some money to trade him, so it has to be a good dela. That's what I think and that's the vibe Im getting. I dont really want to bother him too much, so I'll talk to him more tomorrow, but what i said in the original post was all I've got so far.

How would it cost the Colts money to trade him? They don't have to pay any bonuses to trade him. His bonus has already been paid.

How would it cost the Colts money to trade him? They don't have to pay any bonuses to trade him. His bonus has already been paid.

Not for next year I dont think. I thik they trade his base salary to the team. I'm never been great with salaries and contracts, so I could be wrong.

Not for next year I dont think. I thik they trade his base salary to the team. I'm never been great with salaries and contracts, so I could be wrong.

To the Colts, trading him or cutting him would result in the same thing, except with the trade, the team receives something of value.

I am wondering that too .. surely any bonuses we would have to pay for trading him would also have to be paid for releasing him. Where is firejimcaldwell we need a capologist. :)

His contract was six years, $72 million, with a $30 million signing bonus. He got the signing bonus five years ago, in 2007 when he signed the contract. But for accounting purposes, that bonus gets split up evenly over the life of the contract ($5 million per year) as part of his cap hit every year. Thus, the $5 million bonus that's a part of his cap hit for 2012, and has been for the other five years of the contract. But that's not real money being paid; it was already paid. The only money he's due in 2012 is the $14 million salary. If we were to trade him, we keep the $5 million cap hit, but we don't have to pay anything.

To the Colts, trading him or cutting him would result in the same thing, except with the trade, the team receives something of value.

Well I'll try to get more news tomorrow. It looks like a trade would happen, but it seems like no one really wants him. Either way, it's looking like Dwight will not be a Colt next year whether we trade him or release him.

His contract was six years, $72 million, with a $30 million signing bonus. He got the signing bonus five years ago, in 2007 when he signed the contract. But for accounting purposes, that bonus gets split up evenly over the life of the contract ($5 million per year) as part of his cap hit every year. Thus, the $5 million bonus that's a part of his cap hit for 2012, and has been for the other five years of the contract. But that's not real money being paid; it was already paid. The only money he's due in 2012 is the $14 million salary. If we were to trade him, we keep the $5 million cap hit, but we don't have to pay anything.

Again, not great with money, which is why I never write about it. So technically the Colts are losing 5M in cap space, but we dont pay Dwight anything. So the Colts are kind of losing something, something that is pretty important in a rebuilding mode and when signing draftees and FAs.

Get anything you can in return. Getting a 7th round pick would be better than getting nothing

Very true, but Dwight Freeney may want to be released and be able to freely choose his team. With being traded, he may go to a team that he doesn't want. Although a draft pick is better than nothing, Freeney may say no to a trade to that said, he does have a say he could use his no-trade clause.

Teams would likely have to have an assurance that he would be willing to rework the 14 million base salary before agreeing to a trade.

Typically the Colts would give his agent permission to workout an extension with a team they have agreed to compensation with, but without an agent it would be up to Dwight to do that on his own. He might know that the Colts will cut him if he doesn't rework his deal with them, and if that is the case, why would he agree to terms with any team just to have them lose a draft pick when that team could sign him to a new deal after he's released.

I've said for over a month now. He will sign an extension here, be traded or cut. There is no chance he stays in place at the 19 million number.

Get anything you can in return. Getting a 7th round pick would be better than getting nothing

Yeah get what you can for him. The real prize is the 14M you save which should be more than enough to get a guy like Carl Nicks or Mario Williams in Indy.

Again, not great with money, which is why I never write about it. So technically the Colts are losing 5M in cap space, but we dont pay Dwight anything. So the Colts are kind of losing something, something that is pretty important in a rebuilding mode and when signing draftees and FAs.

I don't follow. What are the Colts losing, aside from the player?

Andy, whether the Colts trade him or cut him, the Colts will save $14.035MM in 2012 cap space. The Colts will also have to eat the $5MM dead cap space with either a trade or a straight release.

every time we release a player of his caliber, it's like throwing a high draft pick away. It's hard to get all those back. we are tossing out players like we have the luxury of having 3 or 4 first round draft picks WHICH WE DONT.

It could take 3to4 years to recoup what we've lost, AND THATS ASSUMING GRIGSON is even close to what POLIAN was as a talent evaluator. POLIAN WAS A MAGICIAN in his hey-day.

every time we release a player of his caliber, it's like throwing a high draft pick away. It's hard to get all those back. we are tossing out players like we have the luxury of having 3 or 4 first round draft picks WHICH WE DONT.

It could take 3to4 years to recoup what we've lost, AND THATS ASSUMING GRIGSON is even close to what POLIAN was as a talent evaluator. POLIAN WAS A MAGICIAN in his hey-day.

We're going to lose Freeney anyways. Essentially, the choice is between releasing him now, or paying him $14 million and then losing him next year and getting a compensatory pick in the 2014 draft, two years from now. Obviously, trading him for a pick or two would be best, and I hope we can make that happen. But he's unwilling to sign an extension at this point, and paying $14 million for a late 3rd round pick in two years (at best) is untenable and not smart. So, if he's forcing our hand by refusing an extension, then he's got to go. Hasta.

every time we release a player of his caliber, it's like throwing a high draft pick away. It's hard to get all those back. we are tossing out players like we have the luxury of having 3 or 4 first round draft picks WHICH WE DONT. It could take 3to4 years to recoup what we've lost, AND THATS ASSUMING GRIGSON is even close to what POLIAN was as a talent evaluator. POLIAN WAS A MAGICIAN in his hey-day.

Sure... Polian had some great years evaluating talent.... but he sure as heck didn't manage the cap very well.

Which is why this Freeney situation stands a good chance of netting us absolutely zero draft compensation.

I don't follow. What are the Colts losing, aside from the player?

Aren't the Colts losing 5M in cap space if they trade him, and don't they not lose much in cap space since a lot of his money is bonuses. Someone just give me the freagin story about the money, since I always have trouble with figuring out salaries and what not.

Aren't the Colts losing 5M in cap space if they trade him, and don't they not lose much in cap space since a lot of his money is bonuses. Someone just give me the freagin story about the money, since I always have trouble with figuring out salaries and what not.

19,035,000 2012 Cap hit if playing
5,000,000 2012 Dead Cap Space if cut/traded
14,035,000 2012 Savings

The Colts have to eat $5 dead cap space whether we release him or trade him. Same difference.

That's just a remainder of the $19 million cap hit we carry if we keep him on his current contract. Even if we extend him, we still have that $5 million hit in 2012.

19,035,000 2012 Cap hit if playing
5,000,000 2012 Dead Cap Space if cut/traded
14,035,000 2012 Savings

The Colts have to eat $5 dead cap space whether we release him or trade him. Same difference.

Thank you, so trading him is for the better, but Freeney may not want it, like I said, as it means he has really no say in what team he goes to. If he gets released, since it is the same difference, he would be able to freely chose the team he wants to go to and still get a pretty good contract. I think trading him favours the team and releasing him favours Dwight. Maybe they'll let him walk with dignity and release him as that's what he may want. He is his own agent so it's all his decision essentially and he doesn't really have a consultant.

Sure... Polian had some great years evaluating talent.... but he sure as heck didn't manage the cap very well.

Which is why this Freeney situation stands a good chance of netting us absolutely zero draft compensation.

Polian managed the cap better than most GMs do, which is why we were constantly able to keep our best players. He's one of the main architects of the cap system as we know it. Pretty funny to hear so many people accuse him of mismanaging it.

The new CBA did a number on our cap, in particular, because the projected salary caps from 2011-2013 got >>>ed up when the old CBA was opted out of early by the owners. The cap would have been close to $140 million right now, based on the old numbers. But we still wouldn't be carrying Freeney at $19 million; we always knew we'd have to do something with his contract at this point. Same thing with Brackett; his contract was structured in such a way that it would need to be addressed right now. Same thing with Clark. In reality, Grigson is basically doing what Polian anticipated might need to be done anyways.

Polian managed the cap better than most GMs do, which is why we were constantly able to keep our best players. He's one of the main architects of the cap system as we know it. Pretty funny to hear so many people accuse him of mismanaging it.

The new CBA did a number on our cap, in particular, because the projected salary caps from 2011-2013 got >>>ed up when the old CBA was opted out of early by the owners. The cap would have been close to $140 million right now, based on the old numbers. But we still wouldn't be carrying Freeney at $19 million; we always knew we'd have to do something with his contract at this point. Same thing with Brackett; his contract was structured in such a way that it would need to be addressed right now. Same thing with Clark. In reality, Grigson is basically doing what Polian anticipated might need to be done anyways.

yea, i thought he (polian) did an amazing job at juggling and when it came to hard negociations, he was very good and agents knew he was going to deal tough.

Thank you, so trading him is for the better, but Freeney may not want it, like I said, as it means he has really no say in what team he goes to. If he gets released, since it is the same difference, he would be able to freely chose the team he wants to go to and still get a pretty good contract. I think trading him favours the team and releasing him favours Dwight. Maybe they'll let him walk with dignity and release him as that's what he may want. He is his own agent so it's all his decision essentially and he doesn't really have a consultant.

Yeah trading him would favor the Colts.

Releasing will favor Dwight.

I don't see him being traded unless he agrees to terms with the team that takes him on. Not many will want to put 14 million into just one year.

Polian managed the cap better than most GMs do, which is why we were constantly able to keep our best players. He's one of the main architects of the cap system as we know it. Pretty funny to hear so many people accuse him of mismanaging it. The new CBA did a number on our cap, in particular, because the projected salary caps from 2011-2013 got >>>ed up when the old CBA was opted out of early by the owners. The cap would have been close to $140 million right now, based on the old numbers. But we still wouldn't be carrying Freeney at $19 million; we always knew we'd have to do something with his contract at this point. Same thing with Brackett; his contract was structured in such a way that it would need to be addressed right now. Same thing with Clark. In reality, Grigson is basically doing what Polian anticipated might need to be done anyways.

Sorry.... I don't consider the deals Kelvin Hayden, Ryan Diem and Bob Sanders got smart use of cap dollars.

Was Sanders a great player when healthy? Sure.... but he got a monster deal with a very well established history of being injured, a history that carried forward thru the entire contract.

And all the while we had horrendous run-blocking and to this day.... a revolving door at OG.

Polian was a good GM but we were cap strapped almost his entire tenure with the team.... and the interior of both lines suffered for it.