Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arians New Offensive Coordinator?

Wyld1

http://www.rotoworld...4/colts-offense

XTRA 910 Arizona's Mike Jurecki reports former Steelers OC Bruce Arians is expected to accept the same position in Indianapolis.

Jurecki likely has the news because Arians was under consideration to be the Cardinals QBs coach. A notoriously pass-first play-caller, Arians would be an intriguing mentor for presumptive No. 1 pick Stanford QB Andrew Luck. Coincidentally, rumors surfaced Saturday that former Colts coach Jim Caldwell was meeting with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin with regards to replacing Arians.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the entire key to this possibility lies in one area...QB. Arians is, first and foremost, a QB coach. He worked with Peyton in his first few seasons. He helped develop Big Ben at Pittsburgh. If Peyton is still around, the bond between the two is already there. And both Peyton AND Bruce could work to develop Luck (or whichever QB we pick up) for the future. I'm not saying he was the best offensive coordinator, but the man DOES know how to work with QBs.

The strangest part is that Pittsburgh is interviewing Caldwell for OC position.

I agree, very strange indeed.

I have mixed feelings regarding this if it is true...on one hand Arians helped a young Manning develop and did have some influence in Big Ben's development.

I think the entire key to this possibility lies in one area...QB. Arians is, first and foremost, a QB coach. He worked with Peyton in his first few seasons. He helped develop Big Ben at Pittsburgh. If Peyton is still around, the bond between the two is already there. And both Peyton AND Bruce could work to develop Luck (or whichever QB we pick up) for the future. I'm not saying he was the best offensive coordinator, but the man DOES know how to work with QBs.

Lol, we posted almost the same thing at the same time...you rock Tuba Guy!

@Schefter

Former Steelers OC Bruce Arians has agreed to become the Colts new OC. He's flying to Indianapolis on Monday to review and sign contract.

@AdamSchefter Adam Schefter

Former Steelers OC Bruce Arians has agreed to become the Colts new OC. He's flying to Indianapolis on Monday to review and sign contract.

Via twitter

Its official:

@AdamSchefter

:facepalm:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

We need some more posts about this.. :D

Bruce Arians helped Peyton develop in his early years and is familiar with the Colts offensive system. He could be a good fit in that he has experience working with young quarterbacks...good for Luck but is also familiar with the type of system Peyton is accustomed to running. Funny that we were all looking to see whether or not Clyde Christiansian would be retained as a key indicator of the Colts' future intentions concerning Peyton. But by letting go or demoting Clyde and replacing him with Arians, it still reveals nothing more on that front.

Bears writer for the Chicago Tribune:

@vxmcclure23

Clyde Christensen wanted to stay in Indy as the OC. With Colts set to hire Bruce Arians, Christensen should be headed to Bears.

Lovie Smith wanted Christensen for his qb coach/passing game coordinator from the moment the position was created. We'll see what unfolds.

Ehh. I guess im just a bit dissappointed.

Arians is def. good at developing QBs.

Talking to my friend who's a Steeler fan, he said he thinks Arians is actually a good coordinator but the Steelers O-line limited what he could do alot.

We have WR's (plural)? Maybe his new title will be Austin Collie Coach.

Well, to me this makes sense. We will certainly have a younger look to our receivers overall. They will need someone who can teach them the nuances of running particular routes and noticing schemes. This might also play STRONGLY into the mix IF Peyton is back. That would take more of the weight off of Peyton so that he could focus on regaining his timing AND working with our new QB. At least I'm hoping!...

Steelers fans seem to hate the guy. Any chance he's coming over as QB coach?

Well there main reason primarily is because under Arians, Pittsburgh changed from their run pounding ways to more of a passing offense to suit Rothlisberger. That isn't going to fly for long with that franchise and fan base. They are smashmouth football folks. Arian's passing emphasis is better suited to Indy's offensive style. But I know that we also have plenty of fans here who also appreciate and would like to see more smashmouth offensive football. We need a more balanced overall offensive approach in the new era.

@JMV1070

ESPN reporting Clyde will be retained as the Wr coach.

Not bad that's what he did before hand.

Also this guy is a not a lock that Peyton is gone (not that you were saying that I just a lot of people have felt if Clyde was not kept as the OC it was a sign Peyton is gone). He was Peyton's first QB coach. If anything keeping Clyde and bringing this guy in means they are putting some people around Peyton that know Peyton.

Again if healthy I think we are keeping Peyton. It's just a question of health.

After reading the Brandt stuff and other things ESPN and some media have made a huge deal out of the money Peyton is going to get and $50 million for both him and the top draft pick sounds crazy for them both till you realize that isn't the cap number and a lot of it is just money Irsay has to pay. Frankly I think Irsay doesn't care about that money. He's concerned about Peyton's health. The problem is that if Manning can't play and has to reitre we get in major trouble with the cap. However, if Peyton's healthy it's doable.

So if you are a fan of Manning staying in Indy this can be taken as a good sign if you wish and now hope he's healthy by March 8th.

I guess im going to be in the minority who likes the hire. His offense may be boring to some of you, but he has been successful no matter who was under center. He won games with rookie Ben Roethlisberger, Chrlie Batch,Byron Leftwich, and Dennis Dixion. He might actually be able to get our running game going, which has been a huge downfall for our Colts since at least 2007. The guy is a proven winner.

Well there main reason primarily is because under Arians, Pittsburgh changed from their run pounding ways to more of a passing offense to suit Rothlisberger. That isn't going to fly for long with that franchise and fan base. They are smashmouth football folks. Arian's passing emphasis is better suited to Indy's offensive style. But I know that we also have plenty of fans here who also appreciate and would like to see more smashmouth offensive football. We need a more balanced overall offensive approach in the new era.

True, but this is a passing league. Pittsburgh wouldn't have gone nearly as far by playing smash mouth football.

I know Ben loved him.

???? Not following that logic...

The one thing Manning had a hold onto was the offense, I could see keeping Manning if they kept the OC, keep same familiarity, the change at OC means a different style of offense and what I think is the end of #18 in Indy. Truely a sad day.