• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vontae Davis bio from dolphins.com

http://www.miamidolp...d1-4595a2c97cc7

FINS FACT

Vontae, along with his brother, San Francisco 49ers tight end, Vernon, recently formed their own charity foundation, The Davis Family Foundation, with proceeds going to support the arts, mothers and fathers that are battling addiction and to encouraging kids to stay healthy and active. This past offseason, the brothers travelled on a relief trip to the war-torn countries of Uganda and Rwanda on the continent of Africa. They went along with several fellow NFL players representing Pros For Africa, to provide much needed food, clean drinking water, hearing aids, shoes and clothes, medical and dental care, financial assistance and more to women and children who’ve been victimized and orphaned. “You have to look back and recognize the people that don’t have the opportunity that we had,” Vontae said. “As a kid I used to see those shows on Africa and how they needed help and supplies and I always wanted to be one of those people to actually go there and help them out.”

CAREER TRANSACTIONS

Originally a first-round draft choice (25th overall) of Miami in the 2009 draft.

PRO

2010 - Played in all 16 games with 15 starts . . . Finished fifth on the Dolphins with 51 tackles (43 solo), was first with 12 passes defensed and had one interception without a return . . . Had six tackles and two passes defensed at Minnesota (9/19), including one interception, picking off a Brett Favre pass without a return . . . Matched against the Patriots’ Randy Moss the majority of the game vs. New England (10/4), he helped hold the receiver without a catch for only the fifth time in Moss’ career . . . Had seven tackles and one pass defensed at Baltimore (11/7) . . . Matched up against the Titans’ Randy Moss the majority of the game vs. Tennessee (11/14), he helped hold the receiver to one catch for 26 yards . . . Did not start but finished second on the team with five stops at Oakland (11/28) . . . Finished tied for second on the squad with four tackles vs. Cleveland (12/5).

2009 - Played in all 16 games with nine starts . . . Named to All-Rookie team of Pro Football Weekly/Pro Football Writers Association . . . Recorded 49 tackles (45 solo), 11 passes defensed and a team-high four interceptions, which he returned for 64 yards with one touchdown . . . Tied for tenth in the AFC with four interceptions . . . Saw reserve action for first seven games of season . . . Had two tackles and an interception vs. Buffalo (10/4), picking off a Trent Edwards pass and returning it 23 yards for his first career touchdown . . . It was the first interception for a touchdown by a Dolphin (and the first by a Dolphins rookie) since DE Philip Merling picked off a Brett Favre pass and returned it 25 yards for a TD on Dec. 28, 2008 at the N.Y. Jets . . . It was the first INT for a touchdown by a Dolphins defensive back since Nov. 2, 2008 when CB Will Allen picked off a Jay Cutler pass for a 32-yard touchdown return at Denver . . . Made his first career start vs. N.Y. Jets (11/1) in place of Will Allen (who was placed on injured reserve on Oct. 27th) and had six tackles and two passes defensed . . . Had six tackles and two passes defensed at New England (11/8), including one interception, picking off a Tom Brady pass and returning it 15 yards . . . Had three tackles and one interception vs. New England (12/6), picking off a Tom Brady pass in the end zone for a touchback . . . Registered three tackles, one pass defensed and an interception at Tennessee (12/20), coming when he picked off a Vince Young pass in the first series of the game and returned it 26 yards . . . Finished second on the team in tackles with six stops and added two passes defensed vs. Houston (12/27) . . . First-round draft choice (25th overall) . . .

ROOKIE STARTERS: With nine starts in 2009, Davis tied for sixth place for most starts made by Dolphins rookie cornerback . . . Made his first NFL start at N.Y. Jets (11/1), and along with Sean Smith starting at the other cornerback position, it marked the first time in Dolphins history that rookies started at both corner positions . . . In addition, another rookie, Chris Clemons, started at safety, marking the first time in team history rookies started at three of the four secondary positions . . .

ROOKIE INTERCEPTIONS: Davis led the Dolphins with four interceptions and became the first Dolphins rookie to lead the team in INTs since safety Louis Oliver had four INTs in 1989 . . . He also was one of only two rookie cornerbacks ever to lead the Dolphins in interceptions, along with Lloyd Mumphord, who had five INTs in his rookie season in 1969 . . . Davis’ four interceptions ranks tied for fifth among Dolphins rookies in INTs:

COLLEGE

Three-year starter (2006-08) at cornerback at Illinois . . . Started 34 of 36 games he played . . . Posted career statistics of 206 tackles (139 solo), seven interceptions, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and 22 passes defensed . . . Also added nine kickoff returns for 215 yards (23.9 avg.) . . . Returned a blocked punt for a touchdown . . . Started 11 of the 12 games in which he played at cornerback as a junior in 2008 . . . Named as a consensus All-Big Ten Conference first-team selection . . . Posted a career-high 78 tackles (53 solo) and tied for second in the conference with three forced fumbles . . . Also recorded two interceptions, eight passes defensed and recovered a fumble . . . Started all 12 games as a sophomore in 2007 . . . Was the only sophomore semifinalist for the Jim Thorpe Award . . . Selected All-Big Ten Conference first-team by the league’s coaches and earned second-team honors from the media . . . Recorded 76 tackles (56 solo) and ranked sixth in the league with eight pass deflections and four interceptions . . . Blocked two punts for 31 yards in returns, including a touchdown . . . Added 116 yards on four kickoff returns (29.0 avg.) . . . Started 11 of the 12 games in which he played as a freshman in 2006 . . . Honored as a Freshman All-American selection by The Sporting News, Scout.com and Rivals.com . . . Earned honorable mention All-Big Ten Conference honors by both the coaches and the media . . . Named the team’s Rookie of the Year . . . Recorded 52 tackles (30 solo), an interception, a fumble recovery and six passes defensed . . . Posted an interception in his first collegiate game, against Eastern Illinois . . . Majored in speech communications.

PERSONAL

Attended Dunbar Senior High School in Washington, D.C . . . Selected as a Prep Star AII-American and Washington D.C. Gatorade Player of the Year . . . Rated the top recruit in the Washington D.C. area . . . Was named to the Washington Post All-Metro team, in addition to picking up DCIAA West first-team all-conference honors . . . Had eight interceptions and 38 solo tackles as a senior . . . Added 25 receptions for 612 yards and recorded more than 1,000 all-purpose yards . . . Led Dunbar High to a 9-2 record and a win in the Turkey Bowl, the DCIAA city championship game . . . Also lettered in track . . . Brother, Vernon, played tight end at Maryland and was the sixth overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft by the San Francisco 49ers . . . They were the third set of brothers (now four overall) to both be first-round NFL draft choices, joining Eli (2004, QB, 1st overall, San Diego/Traded to New York Giants) and Peyton Manning (1998, QB, 1st overall, Indianapolis), Jerome (2003, DE, 15th overall, Philadelphia) and Stocker McDougle (2000, T, 20th overall, Detroit) as well as Maurkice (2010, C, 18th overall, Pittsburgh) and Mike Pouncey (2011, G/C, 15th overall, Miami) . . . Growing up, his favorite sports team was the Washington Redskins and Champ Bailey was his favorite athlete . . . Lists “Friday Night Lights” as favorite television show . . . Hosted a grandparent’s appreciation event in his hometown of Washington D.C . . . Participated in the NFL’s Take A Player To School program . . . Visited Homestead Air Force Base and the U.S.S. Jason Dubnam . . . Purchased and gave away Thanksgiving meals and Holiday toys . . . Part of the defensive backfield which participated in the All-Community Team in which they donated a block of tickets for every home game to various youth programs . . . Participated in the Touchdown For Life Blood Drive and an NFL Play60 event at Homestead Elementary . . . Enjoys playing video games . . . Full name is Vontae O. Davis, born May 27, 1988 in Washington, D.C.

Full and Complete..FJC.....

Just 24 years old and in his prime...

..we need him and can start him immediately

Remember, the other Davis brother is locked up on felony murder & assault with intent to kill charges because he was walking around DC cracking random, unsuspecting white folks in the head with a hammer. So unstable, "wackjob", racist, murderer might run through the family too.

Here's to hoping it doesnt.

If you have a couple lunatics in your family, should we be worried that you are a lunatic as well?

Remember, the other Davis brother is locked up on felony murder & assault with intent to kill charges because he was walking around DC cracking random, unsuspecting white folks in the head with a hammer. So unstable, "wackjob", racist, murderer might run through the family too.

Here's to hoping it doesnt.

Can he play NT?

What I like is that the accumalitive affect this has on the defense. Not only is it an upgrade at corner but it also means it upgrades our nickle coverage by shifting over the next best corner (who lets be real none of them have shown we should be starting opposite Powers). This also helps our safety's because the better the coverage the less we have to double with the them...allows them to roam more freely and assist in run support. It also should help the pass rush. If the safety's can blitz, or cover a blitzing lb that makes it possible to get creative. Also hopefully this allows us to cover receivers longer and gives our pass rush just a bit more time to get to the qb who may have to hold it longer.

I also think he is helpful in run support because he seems to be an aggressive tackler and we've watched our secondary try to tackle...they've been a joke really. This one upgrade should really show a ripple affect hopefully throughout the defense. We clearly aren't all the way there and have needs still but this made us better...and is why Grigson has been so active in trying to find corner help...he finally quit messing around with long shot and marginal improvements and bit the bullet and made a move. Lets hope this kid has his act together...because if he does...we should see a significant improvement.

"Bottom line with this move today is we got better as a football team," said General Manager Ryan Grigson. "That is always the goal each day for this organization. From the first time he stepped on the field at Illinois as a freshman or in the National Football League as a rookie, you knew Vontae was a special talent. Now he has a chance under Coach Pagano and this coaching staff to reach not only his potential as a football player, but as a person as well. That is our collective goal moving forward."

What I like is that the accumalitive affect this has on the defense. Not only is it an upgrade at corner but it also means it upgrades our nickle coverage by shifting over the next best corner (who lets be real none of them have shown we should be starting opposite Powers).

Not necessarily - it isn't as simple as the #2 CB just becoming the nickle - different skill sets required. The nickle you have now may very well be the same guy when Davis slides in. Just like there isn't always a defined #1 and #2 CB...sometimes its based on Left and Right, depending on scheme. Same can be said for WRs...Flanker, Slot, Split End, etc...Its not a Madden depth chart.

But yes, it does help the secondary obviously by replacing a lesser talent at whatever position they put Davis in. And being a versatile athlete means he can probably fill more roles.

Well, considering our second round picks since 2006 have included Tim Jennings, Tony Ugoh, Mike Pollak, Fili Moala, and Ben Ijalana, I'm liking the odds here.

You left out Angerer but that doesn't really change the odds all that much although the one hit we had was a big hit.

Kid has potential, but will he explore and grow it? He came into this season out of shape and on the outs with the HC and coaching staff. He lost his starting spot depth wise and that is when we approached Miami with a 6th round pick for him. Then a Fifth. Finally a 3rd, and that's when negotiations began in earnest. It finally became a second and a conditional 6th from my understanding.

If the kid develops any sort of positive work ethic and stays out of trouble, we will make out well. He has that kind of talent inside.

Kid has potential, but will he explore and grow it? He came into this season out of shape and on the outs with the HC and coaching staff. He lost his starting spot depth wise and that is when we approached Miami with a 6th round pick for him. Then a Fifth. Finally a 3rd, and that's when negotiations began in earnest. It finally became a second and a conditional 6th from my understanding.

If the kid develops any sort of positive work ethic and stays out of trouble, we will make out well. He has that kind of talent inside.

How do you know about the picks offered? I must have missed that story.

Hopefully he won't be showing up again with alcohol on his breath:

Ben Volin ‏@BenVolinPBP

Brandon won a lot more RT @seankjensen: Hey @BenVolinPBP, how did Vontae do against Brandon Marshall in training camp practices, in general?

Ben Volin ‏@BenVolinPBP

Brandon also threw a football in Vontae's face when Vontae showed up to walk-through with alcohol on his breath