Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Aaron Berry released

Phil J

I don't want the "all nice guy" team. I want the best possible team that can be created with what is available. If he fits that, sign him.

Sure arrests are ridiculous, but who here doesn't have coworkers who have been to jail?!?

I don't want the "all nice guy" team. I want the best possible team that can be created with what is available. If he fits that, sign him.

Sure arrests are ridiculous, but who here doesn't have coworkers who have been to jail?!?

I don't. By that logic, maybe we should see if Rae Carruth can get on a work release.

He's slated as the starter in Detroit but its only a formality because he was on the team last year....a few blogs said JACOB LACEY may become the starter...with that said, dealing with this dude would be a waste.

If that's true, make sure you stock up on Packers, Bears and Vikings receivers in fantasy.

Availability and accountability are extremely important. It doesn't look like he can be counted on.

I agree. I dont really want Berry but there are a lot of people on here that dont want us to sign any player that isnt a boy scout. Berrys been arrested way too much but someone with like one DUI or something shouldnt be considered to have "red flags" if hes got talent

I don't. By that logic, maybe we should see if Rae Carruth can get on a work release.

Yes because the Panthers and the Carolina's in general are still reeling from the Carruth saga. They still have yet to recover.

But your post is a prime example. You didn't mention the Panthers. Why? Because Carruth did it. It had zero bearing on what team he played for. Do you hold the Panthers in less regard because 13rs ago they had a player on there team that did something illegal?

Yes because the Panthers and the Carolina's in general are still reeling from the Carruth saga. They still have yet to recover.

But your post is a prime example. You didn't mention the Panthers. Why? Because Carruth did it. It had zero bearing on what team he played for. Do you hold the Panthers in less regard because 13rs ago they had a player on there team that did something illegal?

You kind of lost me. Are you saying it's fine to get a criminal as long as he didn't commit the crime while he was on your team?

Sorry, I'll have to politely disagree.

You kind of lost me. Are you saying it's fine to get a criminal as long as he didn't commit the crime while he was on your team?

Sorry, I'll have to politely disagree.

No. I'm saying a guy can get in trouble and still be a valuable member of your team. The Indy Morals err Colts fans seem to think otherwise. A guy gets in trouble and he's automatically a bad guy and won't fit on this team.

Sure a DUI is dumb. Sure having an unregistered gun is dumb, but that doesn't mean a player doesn't still do his job in a beneficial manner. It doesn't mean the player is a locker room cancer. It doesn't mean the player won't give his all on the field.

Of course this wouldn't be a conversation if it were a star player or he had already helped your team. Say he does get signed, its 2014 and he's running an 80yd INT to the end zone to seal the game. You gonna be sitting in your chair going "he's a bad guy he should never be on this team" or are you going to be hooting and hollering?!

No. I'm saying a guy can get in trouble and still be a valuable member of your team. The Indy Morals err Colts fans seem to think otherwise. A guy gets in trouble and he's automatically a bad guy and won't fit on this team.

Sure a DUI is dumb. Sure having an unregistered gun is dumb, but that doesn't mean a player doesn't still do his job in a beneficial manner. It doesn't mean the player is a locker room cancer. It doesn't mean the player won't give his all on the field.

Of course this wouldn't be a conversation if it were a star player or he had already helped your team. Say he does get signed, its 2014 and he's running an 80yd INT to the end zone to seal the game. You gonna be sitting in your chair going "he's a bad guy he should never be on this team" or are you going to be hooting and hollering?!

Okay, I get what you're saying now. Berry may just be stupid, not a bad guy. He definitely had super bad timing, with two incidents in a few months. The second involving a gun right after a national tragedy. The Lions had to let him go.

I don't know much about him, he may just be a real immature kid and not a thug. I also believe everyone deserves a chance to redeem themselves. I wouldn't be opposed to signing him if they put a strict behavior clause in his contract. Someone is going to pick him up, that's for sure.

And for what its worth, the Colts have had 23 arrests since 2000.

An All Colts Crime team would include Rhodes, Hughes, McAfee, Moala, Harper, Doss, and it could even include Marvin depending on how you look at it.

603 NFL arrests since 2000, avg. 1.57 arrests per team. (603 arrests, 12 yrs, 32 teams)...The Colts are at 1.91, above average.......

And for what its worth, the Colts have had 23 arrests since 2000.

An All Colts Crime team would include Rhodes, Hughes, McAfee, Moala, Harper, Doss, and it could even include Marvin depending on how you look at it.

603 NFL arrests since 2000, avg. 1.57 arrests per team. (603 arrests, 12 yrs, 32 teams)...The Colts are at 1.91, above average.......

Indy....

Not to say you're wrong, because I haven't got the first clue.... but my real question is.... where did you come up with all the numbers? All the facts and figures? I'm just curious....

Thanks....

Personally...I don't see how those of you who championed Janoris Jenkins being drafted to the Colts can be so against Aaron Berry in a "moral" sense.

I wasn't excited about Jenkins, but it's different. Aaron Berry has been in the league for two years, and has had several run-ins already, including gun charges. Jenkins got in a fight at a club and got caught with marijuana. It's different.

And, as far as I'm concerned, I don't think we should have either of them on our roster.

I wasn't excited about Jenkins, but it's different. Aaron Berry has been in the league for two years, and has had several run-ins already, including gun charges. Jenkins got in a fight at a club and got caught with marijuana. It's different.

And, as far as I'm concerned, I don't think we should have either of them on our roster.

I don't see the difference from a football standpoint. It's the act of being arrested, not the specifics in this case. The best ability is availability, right? Being in jail or suspended is not helping the team no matter the crime. Jenkins has been arrested more than Berry and he hasn't gotten his first contract yet. That's all i'm saying.

I also agree that neither should be on the team.

I don't see the difference from a football standpoint. It's the act of being arrested, not the specifics in this case. The best ability is availability, right? Being in jail or suspended is not helping the team no matter the crime. Jenkins has been arrested more than Berry and he hasn't gotten his first contract yet. That's all i'm saying.

I also agree that neither should be on the team.

I'm talking about the character of the person. I don't know either of these guys personally, but if I had to choose between someone with Jenkins rap sheet or someone with Berry's rap sheet, the gun charges are going to look worse than a club fight and smoking some weed. Not dismissing the seriousness of Jenkins' issues; as I said, I don't want him either. But Berry is showing some seriously detrimental behavior that is likely to result in someone being hurt. I think Jenkins is a case of immaturity and poor decision making. Neither is acceptable, but one is worse than the other.

The other thing about it is that Jenkins is younger and hasn't benefited from the resources the NFL offers its players. There have been many players with troubled pasts to come in the league and straighten out. But when a player is in the league already and is still having issues, one after the other, seemingly more serious each time, it's more concerning.

Lastly, Jenkins is considered more talented than Berry. You might be willing to take a risk on a better player, but a guy like Berry who isn't a difference maker to begin with isn't someone you should go out on a limb for. I'd be surprised if he gets another shot in the NFL at all.

I'm talking about the character of the person. I don't know either of these guys personally, but if I had to choose between someone with Jenkins rap sheet or someone with Berry's rap sheet, the gun charges are going to look worse than a club fight and smoking some weed. Not dismissing the seriousness of Jenkins' issues; as I said, I don't want him either. But Berry is showing some seriously detrimental behavior that is likely to result in someone being hurt. I think Jenkins is a case of immaturity and poor decision making. Neither is acceptable, but one is worse than the other.

The other thing about it is that Jenkins is younger and hasn't benefited from the resources the NFL offers its players. There have been many players with troubled pasts to come in the league and straighten out. But when a player is in the league already and is still having issues, one after the other, seemingly more serious each time, it's more concerning.

Lastly, Jenkins is considered more talented than Berry. You might be willing to take a risk on a better player, but a guy like Berry who isn't a difference maker to begin with isn't someone you should go out on a limb for. I'd be surprised if he gets another shot in the NFL at all.

I'm not trying to debate which one has the worst character. Jenkins is pretty bad and has 3 arrests under his belt before entering the party-filled rockstar life of an NFL player. Berry's charge is reckless endangerment, which is no bueno. I haven't heard enough of the story or have seen enough evidence to talk much about it. I just know that both men show that they are immature and don't learn their lesson.

My point was that the same people who were wanting to see Jenkins drafted to the Colts are now so high and mighty against Berry because he's been arrested recently. Seems hypocritical, that's all I was pointing out.

I don't think it's hypocritical if you think there's a difference between getting arrested for marijuana and getting arrested for pointing a gun at three people in a parking lot. That's all I'm saying. You might not be debating which is worse, but for someone to make a distinction between different actions and judge them differently isn't hypocritical.

I don't think it's hypocritical if you think there's a difference between getting arrested for marijuana and getting arrested for pointing a gun at three people in a parking lot. That's all I'm saying. You might not be debating which is worse, but for someone to make a distinction between different actions and judge them differently isn't hypocritical.

I see one as illegal as the other. I see the charges as being irrelevant in terms of their contributions on the football field. Both charges will result in time away from the team.

Let's not forget that Jenkins was also charged with affray and resisting arrest. So if your only argument is violence...I don't think you can defend Jenkins on that. He actually physically hurt people on multiple accounts. Berry's intimidation is no light matter either, but I don't see the distinction to accept physical violence vs rejection for the intent/threat of violence. Whether by beer bottle or firearm, it's not ok. So neither player should be made an exception.

I see one as illegal as the other. I see the charges as being irrelevant in terms of their contributions on the football field. Both charges will result in time away from the team.

Let's not forget that Jenkins was also charged with affray and resisting arrest. So if your only argument is violence...I don't think you can defend Jenkins on that. He actually physically hurt people on multiple accounts. Berry's intimidation is no light matter either, but I don't see the distinction to accept physical violence vs rejection for the intent/threat of violence. Whether by beer bottle or firearm, it's not ok. So neither player should be made an exception.

Being unavailable due to legal issues is a problem. I don't think Jenkins has any pending legal issues that would keep him away from his team, but I understand what you're saying.

As for the rest, that's your judgment of the situation. I personally think that pulling a gun on someone in a parking lot is more serious than getting into a fight at a club. Both are stupid and dangerous. One is more so.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here; I don't want either of them, for all the reasons mentioned already. But I would have a bigger problem with Berry than I would with Jenkins. And I don't think that's hypocritical. I think the two situations are different, and one is worse than the other.

Being unavailable due to legal issues is a problem. I don't think Jenkins has any pending legal issues that would keep him away from his team, but I understand what you're saying.

As for the rest, that's your judgment of the situation. I personally think that pulling a gun on someone in a parking lot is more serious than getting into a fight at a club. Both are stupid and dangerous. One is more so.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here; I don't want either of them, for all the reasons mentioned already. But I would have a bigger problem with Berry than I would with Jenkins. And I don't think that's hypocritical. I think the two situations are different, and one is worse than the other.

As fans, why is it that we care what players do in the offseason? Why do we care if they get arrested or not?

Answer : Because it's in our best interest as fans and for the team, that the players stay out of trouble and stay on the field so that the team has a better shot of winning games.

We aren't choosing our neighbors, we are lobbying for who plays for our football team. That's why the charges are irrelevant in my opinion.

In the terms you are describing I don't think it's hypocritical. You are referring to one man's crimes vs another's. While I see them as being equally bad, it's not really my point. This is a desire to have or not have someone on the team that frequents a pair of handcuffs that will ultimately hurt the franchise. In that context, yes I think it's very hypocritical.

As fans, why is it that we care what players do in the offseason? Why do we care if they get arrested or not?

Answer : Because it's in our best interest as fans and for the team, that the players stay out of trouble and stay on the field so that the team has a better shot of winning games.

We aren't choosing our neighbors, we are lobbying for who plays for our football team. That's why the charges are irrelevant in my opinion.

In the terms you are describing I don't think it's hypocritical. You are referring to one man's crimes vs another's. While I see them as being equally bad, it's not really my point. This is a desire to have or not have someone on the team that frequents a pair of handcuffs that will ultimately hurt the franchise. In that context, yes I think it's very hypocritical.

Good point, but I think you're projecting your primary concern on everyone else. When it comes to availability, you might be willing to take a chance on one person even though he's had some incidents in his past. Your issue with availability, if taken to its extreme, would mean avoiding anyone who has ever had a run-in with the law.

Some people would just rather not have someone who would pull a gun on three complete strangers in a parking lot, while they can grit their teeth and bear someone who got arrested for being in a bar fight or for using marijuana.