Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The anticipation is building.

CjMcGirt23

Man I can't stand the waiting game right now!!! Our first preseason game is three weeks away and it seems like time is going half as fast as usual right now. I've personally have never been more excited for a preseason game in my life, has anyone else? Usually it was all about Manning's one or two series and then it was just a bunch of camp bodies on the field. Now we have so many players that are going to be competing for a spot on the roster, I'm pumped to watch every game not only once but over and over again.(Not to mention the fact we might actually win a preseason game lol not that it matters though :P)

Things I can't wait to see:

• At almost every position we have a heated battle going on for a spot. At WR it'll be interesting to see who gets those final 1 or 2 spots between Brazill, Sambrano, Whalen, and Cosby.
  • If we keep 4 tight end on the roster due to us having two young pass catchers who aren't particularly great at run blocking.
  • If this offensive line can gel and protect luck well and hopefully the increase in size will bring about better run blocking.
  • Cory Redding bring some intensity and fire to our defense.
  • To see if Nevis can play a 3/4 DE and still get some pressure on the QB.
  • Obviously see how Freeney and Mathis do at OLB but more interestingly see if this 3/4 hybrid can bring out the talent in Jerry Hughes that we heard so much about when we drafted him.
  • See how our secondary looks and I'll be ecstatic to see were not giving a 12 yard cushion every play.
  • I'm really excited to see CB Buddy Jackson-Rookie-Pittsburgh. I've heard nothing but good things about him. He was taking first team reps on D in camp until he had an undisclosed injury. He's a big corner at 6'1" and it would be nice to have him show some talent because we've never really had a corner with that type of size. Especially because of our division with Andre Johnson, Kenny Britt (SMH arrested again), and Justin Blackmon.
  • I seen in the video of the open practice at Lucas Oil, that Bethea was blitzing and we were using him more aggressively. It would be nice to see him have some Charles Woodson type plays and sack the QB.
  • We actually have a dynamic return game now!!! We've never had threats to take it to the house but now we have multiple people who have the ability to do so!

Wow this post turned out to be longer than I expected. Sorry if I wasted your time but with time going by so slow I needed to get some of this excitement out.

:blueshoe::colts: :shoe: Go Colts!

I'm glad you're so pumped for this season! I remember when I was pumped for season .'78 thru '87 then '88 thru '95 and so on....

What I'm saying is I'm tired. And I APPRECIATE the youngins Colts fans picking up the tourch of optimism. But remember this, with loyalty, comes heartbreak.

Edited by shecolt
political content

Yea I think if your a true fan of the Colt you can't help but to be exited to see what we are working with. I've been excited in the past but I also new what to expect. This year it's all brand new the one thing I do know is we should be much stronger this year compared to last year and if you are a fan like me which I know most of the fans on here are it hurt seeing just how bad we were but yet I can say I watched every single game start to finish last year. We know how good this team could be this year or the next four or five years.

I am telling you manse fans and outside media are gonna be surprised at how good the colts are compared to last season... It sure doesn't take a Peyton Manning to win superbowl.....If the defense can hold their own and luck and the running game pans out? Gonna be amazing.

Colts are definitely be better. Colts have a QB that can do something positive. Painter had some massive shoes to step into. If I were to compare Luck to another QB it would Rodgers for the simple reason that Rodgers had some big shoes to fill. First yr Packers went 6-10. 2 yrs later Packers won the SB. Worst case scenario I say 5 yrs before Luck takes the Colts to a SB. Best case would be 3yrs. Luck is stepping into a situation just like Rodgers. Like Rodgers Luck will be successful.

I agree with everyones excitement! I personally always get excited because it means there is football on tv again! But i'm super pumped to see how all the position battles play out and to see The Monster in action! Like most I'm excited to see Luck on the field and to see if Jerry Hughes can actually get it! I love the idea of bethea blitzing and I'm hoping Kevin Thomas shows that he's not a total bust as well!

I agree with everyones excitement! I personally always get excited because it means there is football on tv again! But i'm super pumped to see how all the position battles play out and to see The Monster in action! Like most I'm excited to see Luck on the field and to see if Jerry Hughes can actually get it! I love the idea of bethea blitzing and I'm hoping Kevin Thomas shows that he's not a total bust as well!

Its a very intersting time

I have no certainty as to how we''ll look on offense or defense.

its almost like seeing an expansion franchise's 1st game

I'm glad you're so pumped for this season! I remember when I was pumped for season .'78 thru '87 then '88 thru '95 and so on....

What I'm saying is I'm tired. And I APPRECIATE the youngins Colts fans picking up the tourch of optimism. But remember this, with loyalty, comes heartbreak.

..............'95 made it almost worth the wait though, didn't it?

I am telling you manse fans and outside media are gonna be surprised at how good the colts are compared to last season... It sure doesn't take a Peyton Manning to win superbowl.....If the defense can hold their own and luck and the running game pans out? Gonna be amazing.

Doesnt take Peyton to win one...but in the last 9 years, only Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Peyton and Eli have won one...so it might not REQUIRE Peyton Manning, but it definitely helps to have a Pro Bowl QB ;) and for the record, i fully expect Luck to be a Pro Bowler during his first contract.

Other than Peyton being my favorite player of all time, what bugs me the most about him being gone, is that we FINALLY get a good coaching staff together and are going to build a good defense...and have a GM who's willing to make moves...had we had those things WITH Peyton here, who knows how many the Colts couldve won. Just my 2 cents

I look forward to the season, i now have twice as many games to actually enjoy watching...and every Colts game is a 1pm start and every Broncos game is 4pm or prime time...so i can watch 'em all :)

• At almost every position we have a heated battle going on for a spot. At WR it'll be interesting to see who gets those final 1 or 2 spots between Brazill, Sambrano, Whalen, and Cosby.

I'd throw in Jeremy Ross as well...... Fayson and Adams? Ehhhh maybe not so much.

Doesnt take Peyton to win one...but in the last 9 years, only Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Peyton and Eli have won one...so it might not REQUIRE Peyton Manning, but it definitely helps to have a Pro Bowl QB ;) and for the record, i fully expect Luck to be a Pro Bowler during his first contract.

Other than Peyton being my favorite player of all time, what bugs me the most about him being gone, is that we FINALLY get a good coaching staff together and are going to build a good defense...and have a GM who's willing to make moves...had we had those things WITH Peyton here, who knows how many the Colts couldve won. Just my 2 cents

I look forward to the season, i now have twice as many games to actually enjoy watching...and every Colts game is a 1pm start and every Broncos game is 4pm or prime time...so i can watch 'em all :)

My point is with the status of almighty pmoney he was only able to win one where as his brother who was not even considered a top 5 qb until his second ring got two already.

I fully expect luck to be a pro bowl player as well but I also expect him to have more rings than Peyton as well.

As that team stands now Luck and the Colts are a LONG way from talking rings. I think the first step is to make sure Luck dont get killed out there behind his Offensive Line. Some people like all the tryouts and position battles we are having but having tryouts and position battles is just nice way of saying that we dont know who our starter is at any position either because they are brand new to the NFL or likely stunk it up somewhere else and are another teams cast aways, I am hoping for the best and believe we will be competitive but just looking at our O Line alone is scary, many question marks at basically every position

As that team stands now Luck and the Colts are a LONG way from talking rings. I think the first step is to make sure Luck dont get killed out there behind his Offensive Line. Some people like all the tryouts and position battles we are having but having tryouts and position battles is just nice way of saying that we dont know who our starter is at any position either because they are brand new to the NFL or likely stunk it up somewhere else and are another teams cast aways, I am hoping for the best and believe we will be competitive but just looking at our O Line alone is scary, many question marks at basically every position

see i'm in the camp that believes grigson and pagano already know who their starting o -line will be. i only see real competition for the backup spots. in their minds i believe the first five are set. you have to establish it early on so they and luck can get as many reps together as possible. they don't have the time luxury to hold open tryouts for every position. o-line is the one area besides qb where players are not liberally substituted for during the course of a game. developing chemistry is key and that can't be accomplished without establishing a core group.

see i'm in the camp that believes grigson and pagano already know who their starting o -line will be. i only see real competition for the backup spots. in their minds i believe the first five are set. you have to establish it early on so they and luck can get as many reps together as possible. they don't have the time luxury to hold open tryouts for every position. o-line is the one area besides qb where players are not liberally substituted for during the course of a game. developing chemistry is key and that can't be accomplished without establishing a core group.

Castonzo, Reitz (I think) Satele, Mcglynn (Least thats what the majority of us seem to think) and Justice seems to be the general consensus who most think will be starting group.

Castonzo-coming off a high ankle injury and is ready to practice from the sounds of it but I doubt is 100 percent

Reitz-did a pretty decent job at pass blocking last year, I believe only gave up 2 sacks, but wasnt that good at all when we tried to run behind him

Satele-At this point is definitly the O Lineman with the least amount of question, Im not concerned there

Mcglynn-Im actually watching games that he started in last year

Justice-I will have to watch some games that he was in as well

But the fact that both Mcglynn and Winston were at one time benched doesn't say alot of good about there ability

Castonzo, Reitz (I think) Satele, Mcglynn (Least thats what the majority of us seem to think) and Justice seems to be the general consensus who most think will be starting group.

Castonzo-coming off a high ankle injury and is ready to practice from the sounds of it but I doubt is 100 percent

Reitz-did a pretty decent job at pass blocking last year, I believe only gave up 2 sacks, but wasnt that good at all when we tried to run behind him

Satele-At this point is definitly the O Lineman with the least amount of question, Im not concerned there

Mcglynn-Im actually watching games that he started in last year

Justice-I will have to watch some games that he was in as well

But the fact that both Mcglynn and Winston were at one time benched doesn't say alot of good about there ability

when were they "benched" ? you have to take into consideration coaching and philosophy changes.

I have to admit, I've always enjoyed preseason. I like seeing the new players and trying to pick-up on who will be a player and who will not be. I'm very excited for our young team and the direction we are going. It will be an exciting season for sure, especially in comparison to last season. It was a hard season to watch. I got ribbed plenty by my co-workers and friends. I'm not much of a bragger, and I let the team speak for itself. Even in the torture from last year, I could revel in the fact that no team has won more games in the past 10 years as our Colts. In short, we are not accustomed to losing. As fans, we have to be patient and let the thing come together. On the same notion, we have to trust the coaching staff that some are saying is "the best coaching staff we have had", that they will field us a competetive team. While I do understand the weaknesses of our team, I am hopeful that the changes we are making will yield us a better team than what we had when Peyton was there. I've said this before, although I have enjoyed winning games with Peyton, I've always had that nagging conern in the back of my mind "what would happen if Peyton got hurt". Well, we saw it. Complete disassembly of a team that was built around 1 guy! ONE GUY! I don't want to win on one guy! I want to see us win as a team! It will come. I believe it will come, and I will support our coaches and players as if it will come! I BELIEVE! Just voicing my own thoughts. I think we are gearing up for another era of Colt football that more closely resembles the "old Colt football". I like it, I can't wait to see it. We WILL play defense, we WILL have a balanced offensive attack, and we WILL continue to improve. Be patient my Colts fans friends, our team will come together and we will all be happy about it! :D GO COLTS!

I want to see the first preseason game too there will still be changes after it though remember we started a guy on the oline last year in the first preseason game who ended up not making the final roster so I would be careful with over reactions to it both good and bad.

My point is with the status of almighty pmoney he was only able to win one where as his brother who was not even considered a top 5 qb until his second ring got two already.

I fully expect luck to be a pro bowl player as well but I also expect him to have more rings than Peyton as well.

my point was that had we had better coaching and a different front office, i believe that Peyton would already have multiple rings, and i find it ironic that we get the coaching staff and focus on defense and different/more aggressive front office AFTER we let Peyton go, instead of while he was here to maximize the potential we had...but at the same time, i also expect him to have more than one when he retires, as it stands now, too.