Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luis Castillo Released [Merge]

CjMcGirt23

Luis Castillo got released by the Chargers today and I think he would be a great pick up for us. He may be older but we could develop players behind him. A 3/4 D-Line of Redding/Chapman/Castillo would be pretty good and allow us to see what we have at OLB.

Hes not actually old, He is 28. But his production has been declining since 2006, Im not sure why

Perhaps not coincidence that that was the same year as Merriman's positive drug test. One moment they have one of the most terrifying 3-4 from 7 in the league, then downhill ever since - despite the key players still being in there prime. Hmmm.

I wouldn't touch him.

There's a link on NFL.com if needed but the Chargers said he was having a great camp last year and then got injured in the first game. I mean, I know he isn't the greatest pickup in the world but if we could get him for the veterans minimum he would be a solid pickup. I think the upside of what he could do for us if he was healthy is a big plus. He would be a lot better than some of the unproven 4/3 DT we having that are trying to convert to end. If he wasn't healthy we could cut him just like we did to Tommie Harris last year but he would be a good player to bring into camp.

Perhaps not coincidence that that was the same year as Merriman's positive drug test. One moment they have one of the most terrifying 3-4 from 7 in the league, then downhill ever since - despite the key players still being in there prime. Hmmm.

I wouldn't touch him.

I dont believe it was fate or anything of that nature I think it was just the nature of the sport, he just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time week 1 last year). They still have talent on the defense though but not enough to be a threat to top teams

I dont believe it was fate or anything of that nature I think it was just the nature of the sport, he just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time week 1 last year). They still have talent on the defense though but not enough to be a threat to top teams

Whose talking about fate? I'm suggesting that "juicing" might have been rampant among certain members of the team, and they stopped when Merriman was suspended. There is no doubt that HE has never been the same player again. Why not others?

Whose talking about fate? I'm suggesting that "juicing" might have been rampant among certain members of the team, and they stopped when Merriman was suspended. There is no doubt that HE has never been the same player again. Why not others?

Juicing is rampant through the entire NFL, EVERY team, heck Brody Eldridge was taking something and got busted by the Colts

Luis Castillo got released by the Chargers today and I think he would be a great pick up for us. He may be older but we could develop players behind him. A 3/4 D-Line of Redding/Chapman/Castillo would be pretty good and allow us to see what we have at OLB.

Actually, you have no idea if he would be a great pickup. Have you had a look at his MRI`s. put him through a workout?

I wouldn't touch him.

Isn't Castillo the one that tested positive for steroids at the Combine? It would not surprise me if Merriman's positive had something to do with his decline in play and it's weird that they released him now. There is more to this story than just releasing a player, IMO.

Actually, you have no idea if he would be a great pickup. Have you had a look at his MRI`s. put him through a workout?

Wow, nice narcissistic comment. I'm sorry that I stated my opinion in a post on a forum. I clearly said that HE IS A GREAT PICKUP, NO CHANCE HE ISN'T huh? No wait I didn't? I put "I think" he is a great pickup. That his upside could be great and if he didn't pan out we could cut him. I forgot the rule that you cannot state your opinion on a forum. Please do me a favor, please keep your smug comments away. Thanks :thmup:

Juicing is rampant through the entire NFL, EVERY team, heck Brody Eldridge was taking something and got busted by the Colts

Possibly, you can't know for sure. But it's not taking drugs that we are talking about here so much as what happens when you STOP taking drugs. It is logical to conclude that Merriman became a top LB with the help of steroids, and that he declined after testing positive because the league was keeping a closer eye on him and he couldn't risk getting caught again. I'm just surmising that Castillo might have been in a similar boat. Coffeedrinker raised an interesting question in that regard.

Isn't Castillo the one that tested positive for steroids at the Combine? It would not surprise me if Merriman's positive had something to do with his decline in play and it's weird that they released him now. There is more to this story than just releasing a player, IMO.

Found this: http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3723120

Interesting story, which frankly doesn't support my conjecture other than to show that he isn't immune to their temptations.

He did admit to using steroids in college and before the Combine. And it wouldn't surprise me if he's used them since then. But the Merriman positive test was a long time ago, almost six years ago. Castillo has been a good player in the NFL since then. I really don't see a connection. Could be, but it's kind of a stretch at this point.

I am sure Pagano can speak to his brother(SD DC) and get an honest answer on why he was released so he can make more of an informed decision than others.

He fits the system. His 2012 contract with SD was less than 1million.

This team has made worse decisions than what this signing would be.

You don't think he would be good to add to the rotation though Andy? What if we were to have an injury to Moala or Nevis?

We have good depth at the position. If Redding gets injured then Moala and Nevis would probably start. If Nevis gets injured then it doesn't change anything. If Moala gets injured, then Nevis steps in. They have 3 good players at the 3-4 DE spot. Plus, Ricardo Matthews (or Ogbu, whichever makes the team) are also there.

Not worth it.

I am sure Pagano can speak to his brother(SD DC) and get an honest answer on why he was released so he can make more of an informed decision than others.

He fits the system. His 2012 contract with SD was less than 1million.

This team has made worse decisions than what this signing would be.

I tell ya, I enjoy reading what you write. I havent read a post that wasnt well informed or poorly written by you. I may not post a lot but I am on here daily.

You know, if we do our home work, bring him in to take a look, sign him to a reasonable contract, there's no saying that things are set in stone...

This is still the NFL... (Not For Long) if he doesn't work out, he's waived. If he does work out, good for us.

FJC makes a great point.... Greg Manusky was the DC in San Diego for a year or two. He knows Castillo. If we pass, we pass with good reason. If we sign, same applies.

I'm fine either way.... this is low risk, potentially modest reward situation on a guy that's not yet 29.

It's OK to look and kick the tires....

Just my :2c:

You know, if we do our home work, bring him in to take a look, sign him to a reasonable contract, there's no saying that things are set in stone...

This is still the NFL... (Not For Long) if he doesn't work out, he's waived. If he does work out, good for us.

FJC makes a great point.... Greg Manusky was the DC in San Diego for a year or two. He knows Castillo. If we pass, we pass with good reason. If we sign, same applies.

I'm fine either way.... this is low risk, potentially modest reward situation on a guy that's not yet 29.

It's OK to look and kick the tires....

Just my :2c:

I was talking about John Pagano, Chuck's brother, he's been in SD for 10 years or so. He coached their linebackers instead of the DL, but he still would have a pretty informed decision on why they cut him loose after resigning him to start with.

I was talking about John Pagano, Chuck's brother, he's been in SD for 10 years or so. He coached their linebackers instead of the DL, but he still would have a pretty informed decision on why they cut him loose after resigning him to start with.

Oh, good point. Even better. I had totally forgotten that. Nice catch. So, we've got the pipelines to know what is what.

For all we know this is AJ Smith saying take a pay cut or we'll waive you. I wouldn't put anything past him.

Castillo may be entirely good to go. Or not. But if any team should be able to find out, it's the Colts. So, whatever we do, I'm OK with, because we should have the best information to make a good decision.

Oh, good point. Even better. I had totally forgotten that. Nice catch. So, we've got the pipelines to know what is what.

For all we know this is AJ Smith saying take a pay cut or we'll waive you. I wouldn't put anything past him.

Castillo may be entirely good to go. Or not. But if any team should be able to find out, it's the Colts. So, whatever we do, I'm OK with, because we should have the best information to make a good decision.

They had already cut him once this off season. Then resigned him at a discounted salary. So this is more strange than most transactions.

They had already cut him once this off season. Then resigned him at a discounted salary. So this is more strange than most transactions.

More good 411 from you. Didn't know Castillo was cut and re-signed at a discount.

Then, this would be a Red Flag for me. My guess would be he's been cut because he's not 100%. Why they don't put him on the PUP list, I don't know. But they didn't. So, that's a Red Flag.

I'd love to be the fly on the wall when we do our homework and make our calls.

Wow, nice narcissistic comment. I'm sorry that I stated my opinion in a post on a forum. I clearly said that HE IS A GREAT PICKUP, NO CHANCE HE ISN'T huh? No wait I didn't? I put "I think" he is a great pickup. That his upside could be great and if he didn't pan out we could cut him. I forgot the rule that you cannot state your opinion on a forum. Please do me a favor, please keep your smug comments away. Thanks :thmup:

Great way to handle that

I'm not opposed to picking Castillo up, but I'm not so concerned if we have to go with Nevis, Moala, or Tim Fugger. I would be more excited about this if it were a somewhat successful cornerback that got released.

Like FJC and others have mentioned. We have ties to that organization and I'm fine with whatever we do. If it makes the team stronger then do it. Nevis and Moala are nice rotational players but they haven't played the position they are being asked. We just brought in a big DT so something tells me we are looking at more competition. Whatever the case he should be affordable. Even 1 million is pretty good for a guy that has the production that he has. Having him (playing at before injury levels) across from Redding would give us a DL we haven't had in awhile and certain to open up chances for Freeney and Mathis. Look we have almost 90 guys on this roster right now....I'm certain if the coaches think he has something to offer than he would be better than a great deal of them.

Sure I would be excited for some DBs to get cut loose but that is a position that outside QBs most teams will hold onto no matter what. A quality DB is not likely to make it to the market unless that team is just LOADED or some character issue comes up. This guy however has been injured and they brought in some young guys that have worked out ok...so he was expendable. I don't know what he has to offer now...2012 but if he has anything close to two or three years ago before a few injuries...he is far and away an upgrade over Moala and Nevis. You can never have too many good defensive lineman....in the NFL where these guys wear down with the high pace of the passing game...running guys in and out would be a nice change as opposed to watching them hands on knees because we are so thin like we were in the past or seeing a huge drop off in talent.

Fugger played Defensive end at Vanderbilt, but I'd have to go back and check and see if they were running a 4-3 or a 3-4 because the ends in those schemes play differently, so I can see what you are pointing to by saying Castillos style of DE would be different from what Fugger did in college. A 4-3 DE would play outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme.

Fuggar played DE at Vandy... I don't know if they ran a 4-3 or 3-4, but he played DE...

He's being asked to play a 3-4 OLB for the Colts. He is not going to play any DE for the Colts. Strictly OLB.

So, we should know where they put him in camp. At least, that's what the F/O has been saying.

Fugger is much to small to play 3-4 DE. He would be a 3-4 OLB and if we went 4-3 then he would be DE. That would make Castillo a DT. I would be interested in seeing Castillo on the squad....I guess Pagano and Manusky should know if he still has game if anyone does given their connections.