Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why should Drew Brees be the NFL's top paid QB?

oldunclemark

Rodgers strikes me as pretty down to earth,lunch pale type guy.I guess youre a Brees guy and all.Hes got great talent,but....

I like both personalities but seriously its not about one having an ego over the other because I would expect both do but Rodgers does put himself out there more, he appears more outgoing then Brees

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Drew came into the league (Peytons 3rd year)

Brees pass attempts are

2001-27 attempts

2002-526 attempts

2003-356 attempts

2004-400 attempts

2005-500 attempts

2006-554 attempts

2007-652 attempts

2008-635 attempts

2009-514 attempts

2010-658 attempts

Thats 4822 pass attempts during that span

didnt include 2011 cause Peyton didnt play

Peyton Manning

2001-547

2002-591

2003-566

2004-497

2005-453

2006-557

2007-515

2008-555

2009-571

2010-679

5531 pass attempts by Peyton during that same span

Both have benefited but its obvious Peyton has benefited more

So while Drew threw alot more during those two years comparatively Peyton threw for more times over a 10 year span (or in other words from the beginning of Brees career til now excluding this past year

Also you dont get those stats just by throwing a lot of passes

Drew Brees 35.5 attempts per game, Peyton 34.6 attempts per game for their careers. Also his San Diego days no one paid attention to Brees. Since joining the Saints he has 38.6 attempts per game. Drew throws the ball a lot more than other QBs in the league.

Even Brett Favre's 33.6 attempts per game is less than Brees, and he is the all-time leader in attempts. Unfortunately for Brees his career won't last as long as Brett's.

Drew Brees 35 attempts per start, Peyton 34 attempts per start for their careers. Also his San Diego days no one paid attention to Brees. Since joining the Saints he has 38 attempts per start. Drew throws the ball a lot more than other QBs in the league.

Even Brett Favre has less attempts per start than Brees, and he is the all-time leader in attempts. Unfortunately for Brees his career won't last as long as Brett's.

Brees 30.1 over that 10 year span

Manning 34.5 over that same 10 years

Manning 34.6 for his career

Brees 34.2 for his career

Not sure how your getting your numbers though

Brees 30.1 over that 10 year span

Manning 34.5 over that same 10 years

Manning 34.6 for his career

Brees 34.2 for his career

Not sure how your getting your numbers though

http://www.pro-footb.../B/BreeDr00.htm

Brees has 5479 attempts for his career. He has played in 154 games. That's 35.57792207792208.

Over the ten year span it's 4822 attempts in 138 games. Which is 34.94202898550725 attempts per game. Still a bigger number than Peyton's average.

Might want to check your numbers.

http://www.pro-footb.../B/BreeDr00.htm

Brees has 5479 attempts for his career. He has played in 154 games. That's 35.57792207792208.

Over the ten year span it's 4822 attempts in 138 games. Which is 34.94202898550725 attempts per game. Still a bigger number than Peyton's average.

Might want to check your numbers.

Ok I see what I did wrong, I took the total number of passes divided by number of years played divided by 16 but even then if Peyton played last year its a certainty that he throws more then Brees as far as a season

Ok I see what I did wrong, I took the total number of passes divided by number of years played divided by 16 but even then if Peyton played last year its a certainty that he throws more then Brees as far as a season

Lets say Peyton plays last year, and throws the exact number of passes as Brees. That would bring Peyton to 224 games played and 7867 career attempts. He still has a lower career average with a 35.12053571428571 compared to Brees's 35.57792207792208 attempts/game.

Or we can go he threw the most attempts last year 664, Stafford was the leader with 663. This brings Peyton to still 224 games, but now 7874. His career average is still only a 35.15178571428571 attempts/game.

Also let's simulate Peyton has a career high for attempts in 2011. His career high is 679, let's say he throws 680 in 2011. Peyton would now have 7890 attempts in 224 games. Game average of 35.22321428571429 attempts.

Peyton would have had to thrown 759 passes in 2011 to match Drew Brees in attempts/game. Do you honestly think Peyton would have thrown the ball 750+ times if he played this past season? Brees simply just throws the ball more than anyone in the league.

Point being, Drew wants the big contract because he believes he did so amazing breaking the record. He only got the record because he threw the ball a lot. Carson Palmer, Eli Manning, Matt Schaub, Tom Brady, and Aarom Rodgers could have broke the record too if they threw as much as Drew. They all would have had more yards too.

His season wasn't all that great.

Last yr Bree's threw for more yrds than Rodgers BUT he had to throw the ball about 150 times more than Rodgers. Had Rodgers thrown the same as Brees then Rodgers would hold the record not Brees for most yrds thrown in a reg season. Had Rodgers played week 17 he might've tied or passed Brady for single season TDs. It took Bree's 16 games to throw more TDs than Rodgers. The Packers vs Saints will be a good game this yr. final score 38-28 GB

Its pretty simple, if you dont have a good to great Quarterback then your not going anywhere no matter what the coach teaches, Brees needs to be resigned or like I said that team is on par with how bad we were last year but what are you basing Payton being a better play caller the Tom Moore, Charlie Weis? "I think nearly everyone would consider Payton a better play caller than all of those other options.'

Last I checked Charlie Weis has a few Super Bowls under his belt as an offensive Coordinator and Tom Moore was winning Super Bowls as an Offensive Coordinator while Payton was still just a kid besides that was an opinion you gave with no explanation as to why you think Payton is

When was the last time you checked? Because Weis is a Defensive Cord.

Moore won two, as a WR coach in the late 70s with possibly the greatest team of all time. Then it took him another 30 years and Peyton Manning to get back. I'm not sure I'm willing to count the last SB, because I believe Christenson was the actual OC, with Moore being the " Senior Advisor" during that funky little time he was worried about pensions.

Payton's already taken two teams to the SB as an OC and one of them was awful at the QB position. And he's only been in the league 15 years. And oddly enough his pedigree/track record for getting the most out of sub par QBing is what turned the most heads.

Brees gets the numbers because his coach keeps him in when his team is winning 62-7. Aaron Rodgers could have had even more yards/TDs last year, but his team pulled a 'Colts Maneuver' and took their foot off the gas......funny how that maneuver never seems to work out. #OneAndDone

Honestly I think I'm just bitter because I feel we jipped Peyton a little bit while he was here.

Brees isn't the best qb. He's the 4th best atm. Last year's stats have to be taken woth a grain of salt. The lockout >>>ed defenses, and even bad qbs were going crazy with the yards. He also throws it way more than necessary. He piles up the stats when throwing the ball is not needed. He's also not the most accurate qb. Over 150 of his completions go to playmaking running backs. Those throws are easy to make. Dont get me wrong. Brees is a great qb, but is not worth a contract to make him the highest paid qb in nfl history.

Brees isn't the best qb. He's the 4th best atm. Last year's stats have to be taken woth a grain of salt. The lockout >>>ed defenses, and even bad qbs were going crazy with the yards. He also throws it way more than necessary. He piles up the stats when throwing the ball is not needed. He's also not the most accurate qb. Over 150 of his completions go to playmaking running backs. Those throws are easy to make. Dont get me wrong. Brees is a great qb, but is not worth a contract to make him the highest paid qb in nfl history.

How many yards did Curtis Painter have again? haha Just joking I agree with you. Brees is on one of those relentless teams that are not satisfied with the score being 108-14. I have a feeling that if that ever happened he would still be in the game the entire fourth quarter. There's a fine line between being competitive and being malicious.

I understand why the Saints down want to guarantee Drew Brees $20,000,000 a year.

As good a player as he is, he's not the NFL's best QB.

Probably 4th when Peyton Manning is healthy. he's not Rodgers or Tom Brady

He's 33 and that's an issue when it comes to cash guarantees.

I dont know their cap situation....maybe they have tons of room

But I think Brees is 'holding up' the Saints because his ego has gotten too big.

$19,000,000 is a good salary..and if he's as good as he thinks he is..guarantees wont be needed.

Let him hold out.....the Saints seem destined to whine and cry

all year anyway

for me salaries are never a perfect science, there is always gonna be some inaccurate things with salaries . . . but has Superman has already say, Brees is in the discussion of the best in the league, and he may not be the best in your's or my list, but he is in the hunt, so if he ends up the highest paid by a mill or so, then so be it . . .

in a year or two he is will be he 2nd 3rd or 4th highest paid . . .

That's funny, bc as soon as I hit send I realized I was thinking of Romeo. That was my bad.

Figured as much. Yeah, Weis was the offensive coordinator. From what I can tell, he's always been an offensive coach.

On Brees, we disagree on how much he has going for him. I think he has favorable circumstances, but I think he's driving that car in a way that someone like Matt Schaub or Phillip Rivers wouldn't be able to. I think he belongs firmly in the elite of the league. His numbers put him on par with the undisputed #1 and #2 quarterbacks of the last decade-plus. There's no argument against his importance to the Saints.

That's what I think is so ironic about the "leaders" of the players like Brees. They claim the are fighting for the NFL players as a whole. But then they go out and try to get every cent possible in their contract, knowing it might mean other players losing a job or a roster full of cheap supportive players. The rules are in place so that the owners have to spent a minimum amount each year. So if someone like Brees were to say "You know, I think 15 Mill a year is good", what money is saved has to go to other players on the team. Yeah, he may be one of the top 4 QBs in the NFL, but he should knock out the mask that he is fighting for all NFL players. The guys the benefit the most are the elite players like himself.

When you throw the ball as much as Brees you are going to get the stats. I mean the guy is like #2, #3, and #4 on the season attempts list. His last season doesn't compare to '84 Marino, '04 Peyton or '07 Tom. Brees is merely benefiting from the vanilla NFL of recent.

If you base on the numbers of Drew's attempts from '84 Marino, '04 Manning, and '07 Brady averages he gets blown out.

If each of the three QB's threw the ball as much as him their numbers would be

Marino - 5,913 yds, 55 TDs, 19 INTs

Peyton - 6,044.4 yds, 65 TDs, 13 INTs.

Tom - 5476 yds, 57 TDs, 9 INTs

Compared to Brees's 5476 yds, 46 TDs, 14 INTs

Rodgers had the best performance of the QBs last season. If he had the same attempts his numbers would be:

6044.4 yds, 59 TDs, 8 INTs.

The top three season for QBs are '04 Peyton, '84 Marino, '11 Rodgers.

I will say my peace here in response to your post as it is good as one an any . . . i got my 2 cents on this whole pass attempt stuff . . .

But for those to get too deep into the "hey he had more attempts" argument and try to extrapolate and "fairness" factor to upgrade are just not making a sound argument . . . this is not baseball where each "attempt" (i.e. at bat) can directly result in a hit . . . in that case the more attempts would be a factor if one is trying to compare who is the better hitter by mearly looking at hits only, in that case the one with more at bats would have a better chance at getting more hits and would be unfair to just look a hits only, that is why batting average is a better indicator . . . (as it eliminates the attempts issued) . . ..

But passing attempts in football is completely different . . complete . . . one could have more attempts as one is more efficient . . . say for example everybody wonder boy Aaron Rogers had a drive that only gets once first down and he goes three and out and punts and wonder boy is sitting on the bench . . . in the other game played at the same time Brees drive the length of the field and has 5 first downs, and several more plays . . . well the reason he had more plays, and thus more pass attempt for that series, is the fact that he was more efficient, , , you can't credit Rogers with more yards becuase he does not deserve them as he was sitting on the bench . . .

pass attempt can also be skewed depending on the offense, does the offense run more screens or short passes, thereby, will have more pass attempts to get down the field. for example team A throws a long ball more and goes 3-4 passing for say 65 yards on a drive and scores on a 80 yard drive , if Team B also gains 65 passing yards on a 80 yd TD drive . . . but has a short passing game, they may be going 6-9 for for the distant, and thus 5 more passing attempts, you cant then go and say "see team A only had 4 attempts, lets give them another 65 yards passing cause they would have that if they had 9 attempts" . . . see the problem with the exstrapolation of pass attempts . . . there is no 65 more yards to gain as both drives are over and you simple cant get more yards pass the goalline. . .

look even at PM in 2010 when he had a crazy low yards per attempt . . . is was not becuase he was getting older and lost his touch, or his QB ability had deterioated, but was factored by the fact that the colts seem to run more screens (in place of the run game they did not have in 2010) and that they relied on PM to get yards through the air as opposed to the ground . . . so his YPA was terrible, but not becuase he was a lesser of a QB that most others in the league, just that the offense change and more attempts were made . . .

so for I can't extrapolate attempts and an exact science, is it related to many factors, and few of which i mentioned above . . . surely attempts are a factor to consider, but I can directly make a correlation . . .

my two cents . . .

and as for Brees, like i said before he is in the argument as one of the top 5 QBs and as contracts come around and the prices keep going up . . . each one of the top 5 will at some point be the highest paid QB . . .

That's what I think is so ironic about the "leaders" of the players like Brees. They claim the are fighting for the NFL players as a whole. But then they go out and try to get every cent possible in their contract, knowing it might mean other players losing a job or a roster full of cheap supportive players. The rules are in place so that the owners have to spent a minimum amount each year. So if someone like Brees were to say "You know, I think 15 Mill a year is good", what money is saved has to go to other players on the team. Yeah, he may be one of the top 4 QBs in the NFL, but he should knock out the mask that he is fighting for all NFL players. The guys the benefit the most are the elite players like himself.

Several points....

First, Brees' new contract is favorable for the team as well. It actually LOWERS his cap hit. In short, no player is going to lose their job because of Brees' new deal. No one. It's a win-win deal for both player and team.

Second, No one here is making the argument that Peyton Manning's $96 Mill deal is going to cost someone on the Broncos a job. You can argue all you want that Manning is better. But, taking into account that Brees is younger, healthier, and the leader of a unique community, Manning is not THAT much better. So, I don't find it fair that anyone would use a negative argument for Brees that they wouldn't use for Manning. In broad terms, they're close enough to be roughly the same.

What's good for one and his team, is good for the other and that team.

Just my :2c:

Several points....

First, Brees' new contract is favorable for the team as well. It actually LOWERS his cap hit. In short, no player is going to lose their job because of Brees' new deal. No one. It's a win-win deal for both player and team.

Second, No one here is making the argument that Peyton Manning's $96 Mill deal is going to cost someone on the Broncos a job. You can argue all you want that Manning is better. But, taking into account that Brees is younger, healthier, and the leader of a unique community, Manning is not THAT much better. So, I don't find it fair that anyone would use a negative argument for Brees that they wouldn't use for Manning. In broad terms, they're close enough to be roughly the same.

What's good for one and his team, is good for the other and that team.

Just my :2c:

Not that much better? It's 14 years of complete consistency compared to someone who was a nobody for the first eight or so years of his career.

FX....

I suppose you didn't see my other post in another thread talking about NFL GM's value Manning above Brees.

That said.... your post, the one I'm responding to, is Exhibit A of a fans perspective with complete and absolute lunacy and nonsense.

To build up one of the greatest QB'S of all-time, you somehow feel the need to come up with embarrassingly silly comments like.... "a nobdy for the first 8 or so years of his career"... there is nothing that supports that. Nothing. Brees wasn't even a nobody for one year of his career, much less 8 or so...

Brees Career passing stats:

To add to his passing stats, Brees is a winner... I think the 2nd winningest QB in the NFL since he got to New Orleans behind only Tom Brady. I know, Manning didn't play last year. Fine. But that doesn't make Brees a 'nobody'...

Stop hating on other great players in order to build up your favorite. Your favorite doesn't need anymore building up. He's already a God.

Brees, a nobody.... Oy... :facepalm: :slaphead:

MF

Not that much better? It's 14 years of complete consistency compared to someone who was a nobody for the first eight or so years of his career.

Brees wasn't an elite quarterback in San Diego, but he was pretty doggone good. And he quickly took his place toward the top of the league when he went to New Orleans. That was Year 6. I don't get how he was ever a nobody, much less for 8 years.

I obviously prefer Manning, but Brees is great on his own merits.

Brees wasn't an elite quarterback in San Diego, but he was pretty doggone good. And he quickly took his place toward the top of the league when he went to New Orleans. That was Year 6. I don't get how he was ever a nobody, much less for 8 years.

Its obvious some feel they have to down play other quarterbacks to build Manning up and I for one am sick of it when the issue comes up

Its obvious some feel they have to down play other quarterbacks to build Manning up and I for one am sick of it when the issue comes up

Not bashing anyone, Brees is the most accurate QB in the game. He isn't in the leagues on Tom and Peyton though. They are far ahead and beyond everyone else in the league.

Compared to the other QBs he was a nobody during his San Diego days. His first three years he was just there in San Diego. Had a stellar season the next, then back to average. He has his '06 playoff run, but the south was the worst division in the league. Then '07 was his worst year in NO.

Not bashing anyone, Brees is the most accurate QB in the game. He isn't in the leagues on Tom and Peyton though. They are far ahead and beyond everyone else in the league.

No question Brady and Manning are better and statistically Peyton is better then Brady of course, But I still dont think Brees was a nobody for the first 8 years of his career, after all he has only been in the league 10

No question Brady and Manning are better and statistically Peyton is better then Brady of course, But I still dont think Brees was a nobody for the first 8 years of his career, after all he has only been in the league 10

Brees is an a 12th year veteran this year.

Compared to the other QBs he was a nobody during his San Diego days. His first three years he was just there in San Diego. Had a stellar season the next, then back to average. He has his '06 playoff run, but the south was the worst division in the league. Then '07 was his worst year in NO.

I'm sorry.... I don't mean to be giving you a hard time. Apologies if I've come on too strong. I love your passion for the Colts. It's infectious.

But Manning is on the NFL's version of Mt. Rushmore for quarterbacks. He's a God. An immortal! There aren't enough superlatives to use for Peyton. He's that great!

And yet, wouldn't you rather say Drew Brees is great, but Peyton Manning is better! GreatER! Doesn't that beat Drew Brees is a nobody and Peyton Manning is better?

Well, of course he is. It's not hard to be better than a nobody. I'm actually trying to help you here.

I hope Peyton is back 100% so you can enjoy him in Denver and Luck here in Indy. Perhaps that will be the best of both worlds.

Again, sorry if I gave you a hard time.... was not my intention...

I'm sorry.... I don't mean to be giving you a hard time. Apologies if I've come on too strong. I love your passion for the Colts. It's infectious.

But Manning is on the NFL's version of Mt. Rushmore for quarterbacks. He's a God. An immortal! There aren't enough superlatives to use for Peyton. He's that great!

And yet, wouldn't you rather say Drew Brees is great, but Peyton Manning is better! GreatER! Doesn't that beat Drew Brees is a nobody and Peyton Manning is better?

Well, of course he is. It's not hard to be better than a nobody. I'm actually trying to help you here.

I hope Peyton is back 100% so you can enjoy him in Denver and Luck here in Indy. Perhaps that will be the best of both worlds.

Again, sorry if I gave you a hard time.... was not my intention...

I would if I thought Brees was a top QB. He is good don't get me wrong. He is probably 6th in active QBs. He just throws the ball a lot to me. There are QBs who throw the ball 150-200 times less than Brees, and still put up the same performance he does.

I would if I thought Brees was a top QB. He is good don't get me wrong. He is probably 6th in active QBs. He just throws the ball a lot to me. There are QBs who throw the ball 150-200 times less than Brees, and still put up the same performance he does.

we went over the career throwing attempts per game I thought, they arent that far apart 34.6 for Manning and Brees is 35.5 thats a whopping .9 times per game less then Brees also just for the heck of it Brady career passes per game is 33.04 times per game

less then Manning and Brees

http://www.nfl.com/p...2504775/profile

Twelfth year this year.

we went over the career throwing attempts per game I thought, they arent that far apart 34.6 for Manning and Brees is 35.5 thats a whopping .9 time per game less then Brees

His number are skewed because of his nothing days in SD. He had a 31.1 attempts/game in SD. That jumped to 38.5 in NO. Huge difference almost 120 attempts more. He reached the 625 mark 4/6 years in NO. Manning has done that once ever. Brady, Marino, Favre have never down that.

Drew, since joining the Saints, has thrown the ball significantly more than anyone else.

http://www.nfl.com/p...2504775/profile

Twelfth year this year.

His number are skewed because of his nothing days in SD. He had a 31.1 attempts/game in SD. That jumped to 38.5 in NO. Huge difference almost 120 attempts more. He reached the 625 mark 4/6 years in NO. Manning has done that once ever. Brady, Marino, Favre have never down that.

Drew, since joining the Saints, has thrown the ball significantly more than anyone else.

Brees wasnt exactly nothing in San Diego he has thrown for a higher career completion percentage then Peyton

we went over the career throwing attempts per game I thought, they arent that far apart 34.6 for Manning and Brees is 35.5 thats a whopping .9 times per game less then Brees also just for the heck of it Brady career passes per game is 33.04 times per game

less then Manning and Brees

Bree's threw the ball about 150x more than Rodgers last yr. had Rodgers thrown as many time as Brees then Rodgers would've blown Marinos record outta the water. Rodgers will be a FA in 2014 so since Matthews Raji & Jennings are FAs next yr Packers will need to resign them.

Bree's threw the ball about 150x more than Rodgers last yr. had Rodgers thrown as many time as Brees then Rodgers would've blown Marinos record outta the water. Rodgers will be a FA in 2014 so since Matthews Raji & Jennings are FAs next yr Packers will need to resign them.

Agreed

Brees is a great QB,but not worth that kind of money.The main reason is He isnt very clutch like Eli and cant play outside the Thunderdome.They lost a key game to the 49ers and Seattle the year before..His record on the road is dismal,that kind of money.Are you kidding me

Brees wasnt exactly nothing in San Diego he has thrown for a higher career completion percentage then Peyton

I've said he was an accurate thrower. But he never threw for a higher completion percentage than Peyton when he was in San Diego. If that's what you meant by your statement.

I've said he was an accurate thrower. But he never threw for a higher completion percentage than Peyton when he was in San Diego. If that's what you meant by your statement.

Brees in San Diego and Brees in New Orleans are night and day. The difference. Sean Payton

breessdvsno.jpg

You will have to click graphic to enlarge it.

Brees averages 611 or 618 throws a year in New Orleans depending on how you look at it. Manning has thrown that many passes once in his career.

$40,000,000 = $2,500,000/game = $625,000/qtr ($580,000 after taxes)

Why? Don't forget Peyton was paid $19,000,000 for NOT PLAYING!!! Welcome to the NFL.

The Broncos are exapnding Mile High stadium because Manning will bring in more people than Tevo did. It's all about the money.