Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top FAs in 2013

BProland85

With this being the "boring" time for sports, I got the want to discuss the potential players the Colts could have at least a shot at adding next offseason. With our HUGE need at corner, is there any shot at all Revis is available? With our crazy amount of money available, I would love to add a stud defender like the Bills did this offseason.

Any more realistic options you could see the Colts going after next offseason? Any predictions for our 1st round pick?

If we get a top 8 pick, I say we try and trade down to get extra picks if a prized QB is there. However, Id be fine with taking a stud like DT Star Lotulelei if he were there.

I hear what you are saying about Revis but he will cut pretty deep into that available cap room, don't ya think? While I would love to have him as a Colt I wonder if the money it would take to get Revis may be better spent on more positions? Just my opinion...doesn't make it right of course ;)

I thought he was whining about his deal again...another reason I wouldn't want to see him wearing the shoe....does anyone have any info on that?

heck he can whine all he wants on my team as long as he is under contract and playing like he usually does, I will take a guy thats a shutdown Corner who is the best in the league any day and pay him as the best Corner in the league, if these numbers are correct he is being underpaid for being the best Corner in the league.....he isnt being paid as the best Corner in the league, far from it, he isnt the highest paid Corner on his own team if those numbers are correct that belongs to Cromartie http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/darrelle-revis/

I have my eyes on a couple of Steelers not mentioned in the above article.

Can someone tell me if Mike Wallace (WR) and Keenan Lewis (CB) of the Steelers will be UFAs next season? I would like to have both.

I would also love to have some veteran additions to the D-line. If the contract is reasonable, Richard Seymour should definitely help our 3-4 front, IMO.

Besides, our team might be knocking closer to the playoff door next year than we think, so having a vet addition like Seymour should help, IMO.

I see some big uglies on both sides of the ball I would be all for throwing a few bucks at. Outside of that I think we would end up over paying probably for guys past their peak or at the top of their peak already. I would rather spend money on guys coming out of their first contracts on the way up and then those already past their prime. I would rather take some young guys that are still getting better say at corner and lb then go after aged vets at those positions.

As for on the skilled position players I don't see anyone worth throwing big money at. I would rather draft young and build with Luck than throw big money at those guys. To be honest there are a few DTs, OTs, and OLBs I would go after but the rest I would rather target in the draft.

Personally, I'm all for the solid, but not great, signings with a few exceptions. I think you spend filling the gaps with quality, pick up maybe a big free agent when it makes sense, and build through the draft. Don't hold out like Polian, but don't go crazy like Dan Snyder.

Sam Shields would be on the radar at corner. Chris Houston might be an option, and I'm also interested on how Keenan Lewis pans out this season in Pittsburgh.

Quentin Jammer and Brent grimes at CB, Matt Forte at RB, I think we will be ok at WR till 2014. We will need a ILB and a another NT but I think we can find that in the draft. Colts will use this season to evaluate talent and strengthen their weaknesses in next years offseason.

For one Revis won't be a FA. He's got two years left on his deal and thinks he's out played it so he wants a new one. Mike Wallace would be a great add if the Steelers can't get him locked into a long term deal. I would also love to see us bring in Jenkins if we can't get him in a trade this offseason which i believe will happen sometime during training camp. We also have to keep in mind our own free agents all of which i'd like to see back. Collie and Powers i don't see going anywhere. Freeney on the other hand its going to depend on a couple of things in my opinion. First and foremost is how well he plays in the new defense. Secondly is how much money he is asking for. He's an aging player and you can't break the bank for him because he does have the tendency to injury his ankles.

Agreed except on the Mike Jenkins deal, I dont see him coming here and it all depends on how well Powers does for me if I want him back. he hasnt been anything special so far and its not just been because of scheme. Who knows with Freeney, I dont expect him to be back but I dont know

Quentin Jammer and Brent grimes at CB, Matt Forte at RB, I think we will be ok at WR till 2014. We will need a ILB and a another NT but I think we can find that in the draft. Colts will use this season to evaluate talent and strengthen their weaknesses in next years offseason.

Eh. Quentin Jammer is ancient. He'll retire before he signs with another team.

I want Powers to return for the simple fact that as of this moment there is no one else on the team that has proven they can play the Cornerback position anywhere near as well as Powers does. Not resigning Powers would put our defense back a ways. Some will say that we can pick up a good corner in the draft but starting a rookie corner is hard to do and they will get burned a lot. This is the reason I can see us signing Jenkins to give us two proven corners.

Dont know about Powers returning based on talent anyway simply because he has had 4 years to prove he can hold down the number 1 Corner spot and has only had 5 interceptions to show for it, I expect better this year do to the new scheme but not leaps and bounds, he isnt a #1 and maybe not even a #2 on many teams, his best or worst highlight to this day involves a dog bite at Auburn, yes he had an interception vs Matt Ryan last year at the goal line and another interception off of Blaine Gabbert which was a very nice int and Powers showed flashes of very good with those interceptions but they are few and far between, if Powers returns it will likely be do to a lack of talent at Corner then actual skill......prove me wrong Powers

Interceptions are a horrible measurement of DB effectiveness. Even considering completion percentage still requires information on scheme play and catchable balls thrown his way.

Nonetheless, Jerraud's completion percentage is atrocious, but it's fair to wonder how much of that is playing so dang far off the line.

Powers and Lacey arent very good and it has nothing to do with the way they were used, they werent good in college and Powers is barely serviceable now that has nothing to do with coaching that has everything to do with ability. they dont have it, not even going there with Lacey, hes lucky to have been picked up and be riding the bench in Detroit. Our Corners had oppurtunities to make plays last year they just didnt get it done. people wonder why I bring college up, here is why.....players are drafted on how well they performed in college and for what they can do for the team they are drafted by, Powers didnt do very good in college so why would that suddenly change the minute he goes against real NFL caliber receivers he along with every other Corner we had last year got abused by bigger faster wide receivers. now we will see what he does in this scheme but I dont expect much, he was determined to be a Nickel Corner according to this nfl.com page http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/jerraud-powers?id=80680

Powers didnt do very good in college so why would that suddenly change the minute he goes against real NFL caliber receivers he along with every other Corner we had last year got abused by bigger faster wide receivers. now we will see what he does in this scheme but I dont expect much, he was determined to be a Nickel Corner according to this nfl.com page http://www.nfl.com/d...powers?id=80680

You seemed to have not read the rest of the page.

One of the most underrated cornerbacks in college football, Powers decided to venture to the National Football League in 2009 rather than return to the Tigers, who underwent a coaching change. An experienced two-year starter, he lined up at both cornerback positions during his career, as his blanket pass coverage reminded fans of former Tigers standout Carlos Rogers (now with the Washington Redskins).

Since arriving on Auburn's campus, the Tigers' secondary ranked among the nation's elite, even during their losing season in 2008. Before Powers joined the program, Auburn ranked 32nd in the nation vs. the pass in 2005, allowing 199.0 yards per game. The Tigers improved to 14th in the country during Power's first season (168.15 ypg) and in his first year as a starter, the unit placed sixth in the NCAA (173.23 ypg).

In 2007, Powers shifted to left cornerback, starting all 13 games. He was the recipient of the Zeke Smith Award, presented each year to Auburn's Defensive Player of the Year. He intercepted four passes and deflected five others, as he caused a fumble and advanced a fumble recovery 36 yards.

He did not allow an opponent to catch any passes in four contests and allowed no touchdowns while posting 63 tackles (45 solos) and had four stops behind the line of scrimmage. Late in the season, he suffered a strange injury as he was bitten on the left hand by a security guard dog that was patrolling the sidelines during the Alabama contest.

I agree he's not played well, but he was far from horrible in college. Even if you consider INTs as an indicator of success, he did as well in his two years as a starter as Darrell Revis in any given year in college.

You seemed to have not read the rest of the page.

I agree he's not played well, but he was far from horrible in college. Even if you consider INTs as an indicator of success, he did as well in his two years as a starter as Darrell Revis in any given year in college.

I overstated it I agree, I was just thinking that I dont expect alot of improvement, I certainly could be wrong, I hope so

I overstated it I agree, I was just thinking that I dont expect alot of improvement, I certainly could be wrong, I hope so

I've always thought Powers would a be a great number two corner in the NFL. I don't think he's a number one. I know a lot of people love Powers and don't like hearing that but frankly I think we've already gotten more out of Powers than most people would have expected based on where he was drafted. You don't draft guys you expect to be shut down corners in the third round. Starters and very good players yes and that's what Powers has given us but I don't he's ever going to be an elite corner in this league and that's okay I don't think he was ever expected to be. If he does turn out to be one mark him down as a huge steal right up there with Bethea who IMO ranks right up here behind Brady as being maybe the biggest sixth round steal in draft history.

I've always thought Powers would a be a great number two corner in the NFL. I don't think he's a number one. I know a lot of people love Powers and don't like hearing that but frankly I think we've already gotten more out of Powers than most people would have expected based on where he was drafted. You don't draft guys you expect to be shut down corners in the third round. Starters and very good players yes and that's what Powers has given us but I don't he's ever going to be an elite corner in this league and that's okay I don't think he was ever expected to be. If he does turn out to be one mark him down as a huge steal right up there with Bethea who IMO ranks right up here behind Brady as being maybe the biggest sixth round steal in draft history.

In other words, give him #2 money when his contract is up. No one is suggesting we break the bank for him with Finnegan/Carr money. No one outside the very elite got a lot of money last season at cornerback. We should be able to get a friendly deal done with Powers.

In other words, give him #2 money when his contract is up. No one is suggesting we break the bank for him with Finnegan/Carr money. No one outside the very elite got a lot of money last season at cornerback. We should be able to get a friendly deal done with Powers.

Yes...no Hayden repeats, please.

I wasn't trying to say anyone was either. I was just building off what the guy said and trying to say how I viewed Powers is all.

I wasn't trying to say anyone was either. I was just building off what the guy said and trying to say how I viewed Powers is all.

Right, we agree. Just saying there's no reason not to be prepared to resign him just because he's not a #1. Pay him for what he is, which is a pretty good corner.

I agree, he isnt great by any means but I did overstate how poor he has played, I also agree he has potential as a #2 but Im not completely sure on that even

Right, we agree. Just saying there's no reason not to be prepared to resign him just because he's not a #1. Pay him for what he is, which is a pretty good corner.

Oh yeah I agree 100%. I want to keep Powers. What I don't want to do is end up over paying for him like we did with Hayden. If we can do it for a good contract sign me up I am all for it. With that said that's really the point i was trying to get at. I was more or less getting at the people I've seen say things like they think Powers will be the break out player this year (not in this thread but another). I think Powers has already broken out. I am just trying to keep people from being disapointed if Powers doesn't make a major jump that's all.

With this being the "boring" time for sports, I got the want to discuss the potential players the Colts could have at least a shot at adding next offseason. With our HUGE need at corner, is there any shot at all Revis is available? With our crazy amount of money available, I would love to add a stud defender like the Bills did this offseason.<br /><br />Any more realistic options you could see the Colts going after next offseason? Any predictions for our 1st round pick?<br /><br />If we get a top 8 pick, I say we try and trade down to get extra picks if a prized QB is there. However, Id be fine with taking a stud like DT Star Lotulelei if he were there.
that depends on how good the talent is. What I think would be interesting but don't see it happening is to draft Jordan Rodgers as a back up for Luck. Who ever is Lucks back up will have a cushy job. I figure Jordan Rodgers will go in or around round 3 max. People will look at Aaron Rodgers & say "If Jordan is 1/2 as good as his bro he'd be a gr8 back up until we can trade him to a team that needs a starter. J. Rodgers will come close to following in his brothers footsteps as a QB but not as good

I hear what you are saying about Revis but he will cut pretty deep into that available cap room, don't ya think? While I would love to have him as a Colt I wonder if the money it would take to get Revis may be better spent on more positions? Just my opinion...doesn't make it right of course
I wouldn't want Revis on my team. Yes he's a great player BUT 2 yrs ago he signed a top heavy contract & earlier this yr was talking hold out. He needs to shut up & finish the contract he's on. He knew it was top heavy before he signed it. He needs to deal w/it & shut up. Revis is a NO-NO for my team anyway

I wouldn't want Revis on my team. Yes hd's a great player BUT 2 urs ago he signed a top heavy contract & earlier this yr was talking hold out. He needs to shut up & finish the contract he's on. He knew it was top heavy before he signed it. He needs to deal w/it & shut up. Revis is a NO-NO for my team anyway

Revis isnt anywhere near being the top paid Corner in the league, heck Cromartie is making more then him http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/nyj/jets, yeah I will take Revis any day and pay him more then all our Corners combined if I had to, shutdown Corners dont come around often