Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

From the Website: Video interview w/DC Greg Manusky...

NewColtsFan

He seemed Happy about the Progession of the Defense, but Irritated with all the Questions lol. The day Freeney catches a INT in the Regular Season, I'll Faint. Both for Him & Mathis. But overall, it sounds like the team is Happy with everything that's occured to this point in time which is a Good thing

He seemed Happy about the Progession of the Defense, but Irritated with all the Questions lol. The day Freeney catches a INT in the Regular Season, I'll Faint. Both for Him & Mathis. But overall, it sounds like the team is Happy with everything that's occured to this point in time which is a Good thing

If Vince Wilfork can grab interceptions...yes interceptions with an "s"....Dwight Freeney can surely get at least one.

If Vince Wilfork can grab interceptions...yes interceptions with an "s"....Dwight Freeney can surely get at least one.

I'm sure they can both Catch. I'm saying after seeing them just get Sacks & Sack Fumbles, getting a Pick will be a Sight for Sore Eyes. I look forward to it, I'm sure NFL.com will have "Freeney or Mathis get 1st Career INT" in the Breaking News Bar when it happens lol

I'm going to have to say this. The player I think when given his time to play in the new defense is going to be Jerry Hughes. This defense is going to have a similar look to what he did at TCU. Some may not think so, I could be having to much hope as well. I just have a good feeling he'll be the one to excel. Derek Nevis is another player because that first step, gap shooting speed. I'd have Freeney, Mathis and Hughes on the field at the same time and attack!

I'm going to have to say this. The player I think when given his time to play in the new defense is going to be Jerry Hughes. This defense is going to have a similar look to what he did at TCU. Some may not think so, I could be having to much hope as well. I just have a good feeling he'll be the one to excel. Derek Nevis is another player because that first step, gap shooting speed. I'd have Freeney, Mathis and Hughes on the field at the same time and attack!

I think I heard on Sirius from a fan at the one practice that Hughes looked bad. He tried to put a move on a TE that will probably be cut and was out matched. Anyone hear or see that?

I don't put much stock in practice with no pads, they're basically walk throughs. I'm hoping Hughes shows why we took him #1, finally.

TCU runs a 4-2-5 Defense. He played DE at TCU, he's now playing OLB here. How is that Similar? And it's Drake Nevis, he's playing DT. Yes, I agree with you, Nevis is a Dangerous Player (When Healthy). I look for him to be a Force this year on D

I still don't get this pick up. Manusky's defense aren't all that great.

Lets just hope he do get the bright idea Coyer did against the Steelers and Dolphins and send Mathis looping all the way back around towards Freeneys side

He averaged 16th in yards, and 17th in points in his 5 years of coaching. He may be an improvement from last year, and the previous decade. I still think we could have done better.

There were a couple years they were in the top 5 or 10 in both categories, I think. And there were significant improvements on 3rd down.

I have reservations about him based on what he did in San Diego, that's for sure. That defense took a huge step back, and maybe that's partly due to the injuries they suffered. But it also looked to be partly due to him not using his personnel in the best way he could. The 3rd down numbers were worse than ours, as a matter of fact. So I don't think he would have been my first choice, if that matters at all (and it doesn't, of course). But what kind of allays that concern is the fact that he's going to be working very closely with Chuck Pagano, who has been around some very good defensive-minded guys, and did his job very well last season in Baltimore. Those two guys should be able to put their brains together to come up with some impressive stuff on defense.

The guy that would have been at the top of my list for defensive coordinator would have been Pepper Johnson. He's been a position coach with the Patriots for over a decade, and they've run plenty of both alignments in that time. They've also used plenty of versatile linemen and backers. I don't know if he'll ever make it out of New England, but I would have been all over him for the coordinator spot.

While Manusky was not my first choice, the fact that we hired Pagano so late limited the coaches that were still available to fill the coordinator/coaching positions. Add that to the fact some people we wanted were not interested, and Manusky may not have been all that bad of choice.

While Manusky was not my first choice, the fact that we hired Pagano so late limited the coaches that were still available to fill the coordinator/coaching positions. Add that to the fact some people we wanted were not interested, and Manusky may not have been all that bad of choice.

:scratch:

How did we hire Pagano late? And what people did we supposedly want for defensive coordinator that weren't interested?

For all you people sitting here Battering & Bad Mouthing Manusky... Stick to your Word. If the Defense is a BIG Difference this year, dont try and jump on the DC Bandwagon after you sat here & talked trash. We wouldn't have Hired Manusky if we didnt believe he was Good. Pagano isnt going to sit around & watch our Defense Fail, so he must have Faith in Manusky to do the Right thing. Give him a Chance before you go off Bashing

I won't say Manusky sucked or is a terrible hire but he just like so many players on this team have to step up and prove themselves. This whole organization is at a point where EVERYONE has something to prove. 1st time head coach...1st time GM...Rookie qb following HOF....pro bowl caliber DEs both playing OLB....previous 1st round draft picks Brown and Hughes both in new systems that need to live up to their investment....young cbs that have a lot to improve/prove in coverage...OL full of cast offs and underperformers...the only two people with nothing to prove is Arians and Reggie Wayne. The rest...coaches, staff, players all have question marks and all will have to step up because none have proved they can succeed at position/level they are now.

That said I'm not sick over the Manusky hiring...he knows the 3-4 very well and will be working for a 3-4 coach in Pagano. I'm sure they are familiar and comfortable with each other...that said he hasn't exactly been tops of the league ever with his defense so if they continue to struggle over the next couple years he won't be safe. I have faith he can get us to the middle of the pack in a couple years. Just want to see improvement.

I won't say Manusky sucked or is a terrible hire but he just like so many players on this team have to step up and prove themselves. This whole organization is at a point where EVERYONE has something to prove. 1st time head coach...1st time GM...Rookie qb following HOF....pro bowl caliber DEs both playing OLB....previous 1st round draft picks Brown and Hughes both in new systems that need to live up to their investment....young cbs that have a lot to improve/prove in coverage...OL full of cast offs and underperformers...the only two people with nothing to prove is Arians and Reggie Wayne. The rest...coaches, staff, players all have question marks and all will have to step up because none have proved they can succeed at position/level they are now.

That said I'm not sick over the Manusky hiring...he knows the 3-4 very well and will be working for a 3-4 coach in Pagano. I'm sure they are familiar and comfortable with each other...that said he hasn't exactly been tops of the league ever with his defense so if they continue to struggle over the next couple years he won't be safe. I have faith he can get us to the middle of the pack in a couple years. Just want to see improvement.

:scratch:

How did we hire Pagano late? And what people did we supposedly want for defensive coordinator that weren't interested?

I would consider Pagano a late hire and therefore possibly missing out on potential coaches/coordinators for a couple of reasons ... 1) Being a new head coach means he was unable contact the newly released coaches, and the potential pool of available coordinators and coaches ... while the current active head coaches were already in contact/negotiating with them. 2) The fact that the Ravens made a deep playoff run possibly prevented us from getting him in here earlier ... I believe the only head coach hired later was Schiano in Tampa.

Would he have made different decisions if he had been here earlier? ... I don't know ... but he was definitely at a disadvantage by being late to the party.

As far as who turned down the DC position ... Keith Butler the Steelers LB coach for one ... and who knows if there were other "feelers"/interview offers sent out that we don't know about.

My original point was simply that several factors including WHEN Pagano was hired played a factor in who was available to him to fill our open coaching positions, and I do not believe some were our "first choice"; but that given the circumstances I think we ended up with some hires that could potentially turn out better than many expect.

I would consider Pagano a late hire and therefore possibly missing out on potential coaches/coordinators for a couple of reasons ... 1) Being a new head coach means he was unable contact the newly released coaches, and the potential pool of available coordinators and coaches ... while the current active head coaches were already in contact/negotiating with them. 2) The fact that the Ravens made a deep playoff run possibly prevented us from getting him in here earlier ... I believe the only head coach hired later was Schiano in Tampa.

Would he have made different decisions if he had been here earlier? ... I don't know ... but he was definitely at a disadvantage by being late to the party.

As far as who turned down the DC position ... Keith Butler the Steelers LB coach for one ... and who knows if there were other "feelers"/interview offers sent out that we don't know about.

My original point was simply that several factors including WHEN Pagano was hired played a factor in who was available to him to fill our open coaching positions, and I do not believe some were our "first choice"; but that given the circumstances I think we ended up with some hires that could potentially turn out better than many expect.

I don't understand your first point. I don't know what you're saying.

We did hire Pagano later than other teams hired their coaches, but I think the primary reason for that is because Irsay wanted his new GM to help him make the decision. I think Irsay truly wanted to keep Caldwell. Compare to the Rams, who hired Fisher before they hired Snead, because they really wanted Fisher. I'm glad we didn't go after Fisher; I think he's overrated. I'm also glad Irsay went in the order he went in. There's a clear separation of power as a result.

About Butler, I think the whole story was premature. We never even interviewed him. He might have been Pagano's first choice, though. But we didn't miss out on him because of the timeframe of Pagano's hiring. He chose to stay in Pittsburgh because they offered him more money and he's the heir apparent to Dick LeBeau. I'd have stayed also, and it has no bearing on the Indy job.

I get your overall point. But when I think of a late hire, I think of, for instance, the Chargers hiring Norv Turner in mid-February, after their coordinators had already left, and after every other coaching job had been filled for weeks. I think they completely bumbled that process. By contrast, I think the Colts handled the GM and coach search very well, even if it might have cost them a coordinator they really wanted because of the time frame.

I think I heard on Sirius from a fan at the one practice that Hughes looked bad. He tried to put a move on a TE that will probably be cut and was out matched. Anyone hear or see that?

I don't put much stock in practice with no pads, they're basically walk throughs. I'm hoping Hughes shows why we took him #1, finally.

You know as well as anyone that people see what they want to see whether that coincides with reality or not.

For all you people sitting here Battering & Bad Mouthing Manusky... Stick to your Word. If the Defense is a BIG Difference this year, dont try and jump on the DC Bandwagon after you sat here & talked trash. We wouldn't have Hired Manusky if we didnt believe he was Good. Pagano isnt going to sit around & watch our Defense Fail, so he must have Faith in Manusky to do the Right thing. Give him a Chance before you go off Bashing

So, if the Colts D is good this year, those of us that think Manusky was a bad hire as DC (of which I am one), cannot come back on this board and say, "well I guess I was wrong Manusky is a good DC?"

As far as "We wouldn't have Hired..." are you really saying that no HC has hired a bad coordinator before?

Somebody thought Coyer and Caldwell were good too. I would think everyone in the NFL who hires a coach thinks he will be good. Nobody hires a guy and thinks he is a bum and will fail. But it doesn't always work out for numerous reasons.

I'm not concerned about his past record and I'm also not concerned about this coming year since it is his first year and these aren't his players. But by year 3 I would expect to see a significant improvement. By that time they will have put lots of new pieces in place. And even at that I'm not expecting a top 5 defense. I think if they could consistentely rank in the top 10 that would be major success.

So, if the Colts D is good this year, those of us that think Manusky was a bad hire as DC (of which I am one), cannot come back on this board and say, "well I guess I was wrong Manusky is a good DC?"

As far as "We wouldn't have Hired..." are you really saying that no HC has hired a bad coordinator before?

Y'all could, but I doubt that mire than 25% of the people who doubted would admit they were wrong IMO

correct me if im wrong but Didnt Manusky used a lot of zone while Chuck a lot of man? or did Chuck also used a lot of zone coverages?

Im waiting to see how those 2 philosophies mesh out and see the results, hopefully good ones

correct me if im wrong but Didnt Manusky used a lot of zone while Chuck a lot of man? or did Chuck also used a lot of zone coverages?

Im waiting to see how those 2 philosophies mesh out and see the results, hopefully good ones

The Ravens ran plenty of zone.

It really depends on what peoples definition of good is for the new defense this year, to be honest Im not expecting a big improvement by any stretch, I think its pretty clear our staff doesn't believe in our Corners as they are now simply do to the number of Corners we have been bringing in and in 1 case traded for., I believe we will be better at stopping the run but we will get thrown on at will, I have been going back and watching Colts games from last year, and we didnt play nearly as far off the Corners as some say, we usually played 5-6 yards off and yes a very few times 7-8 and a a couple times 10 (I thought that was weird) but I wonder if thats do to our former coaches fears of our Corners getting beat? something which happened to Kevin Thomas frequently and even Powers, in my opinion yes the scheme at times wasn't good but more often it was the players executing those schemes