Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Flattering Indystar story on Grigson...

NewColtsFan

In addition to being a huge Luck fan, as I've stated elsewhere, I admire well run franchises....

And, at least in the early stages, I really like the Grigson/Pagano pairing.... a lot.

While going through the Indystar website to see what they had on today's doings, I ran into this story on Grigson...

Very nice. A GM with a scouting background who loves and lives to scout. A fun and easy read if you like this kind of stuff....

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120612/SPORTS03/206120335/Indianapolis-Colts-general-manager-Ryan-Grigson-keeps-digging-talent?odyssey=obinsite

The story references cap problems for the Colts this year.... lots and lots of dead money on former players.... and lots and lots and lots of cap space next year.... so, not all of our problems will be solved by the 2013 draft alone. Free agency will play an important roll...

We actually have the most cap space of any team in 2013 with $43 million in free cap...

With the new minimum cap enforcement colts will be required to spend, spend, spend $$$$

Look for our defense to be "fixed," and any oline issues to be solved by 2013...

the draft next year will become "luxury" picks

In addition to being a huge Luck fan, as I've stated elsewhere, I admire well run franchises....

And, at least in the early stages, I really like the Grigson/Pagano pairing.... a lot.

While going through the Indystar website to see what they had on today's doings, I ran into this story on Grigson...

Very nice. A GM with a scouting background who loves and lives to scout. A fun and easy read if you like this kind of stuff....

http://www.indystar....dyssey=obinsite

The story references cap problems for the Colts this year.... lots and lots of dead money on former players.... and lots and lots and lots of cap space next year.... so, not all of our problems will be solved by the 2013 draft alone. Free agency will play an important roll...

aak, he's trolling! :lol:

"You troll," he said. "It's like casting a thousand times. Finally, you get a little bite and you set the hook."

So, where it says this ---> "Grigson used it on draft day to grab Tim Fugger, an outside linebacker who backs up Dwight Freeney."

Does that mean that Hughes will be Back-Up for Robert Mathis? Since Freeney's Back-Up is already Established

I like it. especially since Hughes had played on the left side his whole career at TCU. keep him where he is comftorble.

so who is a FA in the NFL next year on the defensive side of the ball? Forte could be a good addition at RB next year if our backs dont cut it this year. especially since he is getting on the bad side of the bears. think they would trade forte for freeney? although we would prob have to give up a draft pick but shouldnt be any higher then a 4th or 5th round pick. just a thought lol. then could always try to bring freeney back in FA.

I like it. especially since Hughes had played on the left side his whole career at TCU. keep him where he is comftorble.

Well yeah, I knew he played on the left at TCU. I'ma huge Horned Frog Fan. So I guess it's Settled. Hughes on the side he does Damage the Most... on the Left side lol

Thanks for posting the article! Highlights for me:

-I love how he said he's trolling lmao

-I love the emphasis on speed. While Dungy's defenses were undersized, I loved how fast we were and how it helped us so much in the red zone. I say keep the emphasis on speed while not compromising size

-Grigs and Pagano have both been excellent hires, in my opinion

If Vaughn and King can provide valuable nickel or dime snaps over the course of the year and play well, that would be enough for me to be ecstatic. While speed is important, football instincts that go with it is what helps a player take the next step. That is where I hope our coaches do the rest to coach all of them up, whether they are castoffs from other teams or rookie/traded draft picks.

aak, he's trolling! :lol:

"You troll," he said. "It's like casting a thousand times. Finally, you get a little bite and you set the hook."

Maureen.... you're an administrator, but I'm sorry, you lost me completely with your response to my post.....

Did I do something wrong? Did someone else? Who's trolling here? Please explain? That one went right over my head....

Thanks...

NOTE: Never mind! Now, I get the 'trolling'.... it's a comment from Grigson. Sorry, I got a bit turned around. Was expecting it was in reference to some poster....

That's very different..... never mind. :whiteflag: :facepalm:

I just hope we dont become some kind of a dream team if we sign alot of big name players next offseason.

Here's my uneducated concern, and perhaps it shouldn't be a concern.

We have a ton of money under the cap next year.

We land one or two blue chippers, and what's left are just some O.K. players.

With the minimum, do we find ourselves over-paying some lesser players just to get there?

Or is that taken care of by simply paying a lot up front to the blue chippers?

What if it's just a so-so FA class next year?

With the minimum, do we find ourselves over-paying some lesser players just to get there?

Fair question, but not as sticky as you think. We have to spend 89% of the cap as a team. Any shortfall of that will be reconciled on April 15th (2014) and paid by the team directly to players that were on the roster. There really is no motive to overspend on long term FA's just because you have a lot of cap room. If Grigson doesn't find players he wants to invest in long term and has extra cash, he can spend it on lucrative 1 yr. offers or spread it over his current roster. There are plenty of creative ways to move money around and avoid making long term bad cap moves.

Fair question, but not as sticky as you think. We have to spend 89% of the cap as a team. Any shortfall of that will be reconciled on April 15th (2014) and paid by the team directly to players that were on the roster. There really is no motive to overspend on long term FA's just because you have a lot of cap room. If Grigson doesn't find players he wants to invest in long term and has extra cash, he can spend it on lucrative 1 yr. offers or spread it over his current roster. There are plenty of creative ways to move money around and avoid making long term bad cap moves.

Ah, thanks. That's good to know.

43 million in 2013?

Should the Colts give Luck another contract early , that's front loaded?

I could be wrong about this, but my understanding is you can't re-do a rookie's contract until sometime in the 3rd year. Don't know the exact point, but I think that's close enough for discussion.... so, as to giving another contract now that's front-loaded now? No can do.

I could be wrong about this, but my understanding is you can't re-do a rookie's contract until sometime in the 3rd year. Don't know the exact point, but I think that's close enough for discussion.... so, as to giving another contract now that's front-loaded now? No can do.

Well I hope there's FAs that are worth chasing next year. If not I guess the Colts should give younger players coming off their first contracts front loaded deals.

I would think it best to not front load or back load any contracts and just spread the money out evenly or else you take a serious chance of putting yourself in a hole that ya have to dig out of again, least thats what seems logical I think

I would think it best to not front load or back load any contracts and just spread the money out evenly or else you take a serious chance of putting yourself in a hole that ya have to dig out of again, least thats what seems logical I think

I don't see the risk in giving proven players front loaded contracts. After the big payout year what's the risk?

I don't see the risk in giving proven players front loaded contracts. After the big payout year what's the risk?

wouldnt their be a risk if you payed them a whole bunch of cash and the coming season they got injured or had a multiple surgeries and set out the season

For instance, if we wanted, we could resign Freeney this year, then load his contract with a significant cap hit for next season. Or you could structure a player's contract with a roster bonus for 2013, which wouldn't get amortized over the life of the contract. Or a ton of other things you can do, rather than overpaying for players just to get to the threshold.

wouldnt their be a risk if you payed them a whole bunch of cash and the coming season they got injured or had a multiple surgeries and set out the season

Well I'm talking about salary cap risks, I don't care about the bottom dollar but it would suck for Irsay to pay a front loaded contract and the player suffers a career ending injury.

Well yeah, I knew he played on the left at TCU. I'ma huge Horned Frog Fan. So I guess it's Settled. Hughes on the side he does Damage the Most... on the Left side lol

lol yeah. i saw a few of his games at TCU,i only live 30 minutes from the campus. i was sayin i hope the colts draft him, then they did and were not using him the right way. he is better standing up then being down on the line. thats why i think he will do better in the 3-4 scheme

Is it just me or is all this glowing praise on GM Grigson a bit too premature? I admire Grigson's tenacity, resolve, & determination, but let's see him conduct 3-4 more drafts yet okay. I love the fire, passion, & drive to win, but Grigson has not proven his value yet...Hold off on the parades & fanfare please. Thank you.

Gronk just got a new deal from the Pats after his 2nd season. Maybe that classifies as sometime in the third year since it is after June 1.

Gronk just got a new deal from the Pats after his 2nd season. Maybe that classifies as sometime in the third year since it is after June 1.

Very good point. Noted for future reference. Perhaps it's after two years on the football calendar?

Thanks, good catch.

Its never been the Colts way to sign bigtime free agents

43 million in 2013?

Should the Colts give Luck another contract early , that's front loaded?

We're going to have to think about a resign for Pat Angerer, Donald Brown and Austin Collie among others

...also it would enable us to consider resigning Dwight Freeney...if this year (2012) goes well for him

We're going to have to think about a resign for Pat Angerer, Donald Brown and Austin Collie among others

...also it would enable us to consider resigning Dwight Freeney...if this year (2012) goes well for him

Brown and Angerer are under contract through 2013. Collie will be a free agent.