Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our Nickel D look - visually

ztboiler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCVPpVGCa64

Pause the first play of this highlight reel and check out the defensive alignment. You play a lot nickel in this league and this is a really good picture of how the Colts are likely to slide into a nickel package. Suggs and Johnson with a hand down rushing (Mathis and Freeney), Can't tell who the DL are in this picture but Redding typically stays, and Ngata slides over (probably Nevis for us) with the NT rotating out. This 4-2-5 alignment comes from a 2-4-5 personnel group and should make most Colts fans feel like the 2 best players on our defense are still going to be able to do what they are best at.

I want to see how Mathis and Freeney do standing up. In that video, the OLBs are playing with a hand in the ground in a 3 point stance, which we know Freeney and Mathis can do. I want to see them stand up and rush the passer.

Look at the play that starts at 1:37. This is the old '85 Bears 5-2 D it's just instead of the DE having their hand in the dirt they are in a two point stance which gives them a better view of the backfield and more flexibility once the ball is snapped.

In that play both Suggs and JJ drop into coverage. If you watch the play closely, Suggs is on the weakside and he immediately drops back into the zone. JJ however, stands at the line and reads the play. When he sees that it is a pass he drops to the flat

Then look at the play that starts at 2:43. JJ is back in the more traditional LB spot and Suggs is at the LOS but still in a two point stance. There is also a CB on the outside of Suggs which helps on this play because the RB who stays in to block goes to the outside while the dline all slant to the strong side. So what happens is the tackle is left one on one with Suggs, who beats him as soon as he starts his kick slide, Suggs gets in and pressures Sanchez and forces the bad, early throw which Webb gets for a pick 6.

Anyone who watches that and doesn't get excited about Freeney playing that same role does NOT understand football.

Look at the play that starts at 1:37. This is the old '85 Bears 5-2 D it's just instead of the DE having their hand in the dirt they are in a two point stance which gives them a better view of the backfield and more flexibility once the ball is snapped.

In that play both Suggs and JJ drop into coverage. If you watch the play closely, Suggs is on the weakside and he immediately drops back into the zone. JJ however, stands at the line and reads the play. When he sees that it is a pass he drops to the flat

They also blitzed with one of the ILBs (Jameel McClain?). In that play, it looked as though Suggs dropped immediately into coverage whereas JJ was playing man-to-man on the FB. But no one took the RB (it would usually be the other ILB who would cover the RB), which makes me think they are playing zone and JJ just had excellent coverage on that one. The Jets didn't run play-action, so maybe JJ was just late dropping into his coverage. It's times like this where I wish I had access to coaching tape instead of just highlight videos on YouTube.

As it relates to Freeney and Mathis, I think Mathis might be used a little more to drop into coverage whereas Freeney will be used like DeMarcus Ware, rushing the QB on almost every play. With that said, Pagano said he sees Freeney as our Suggs-type player, so he might be asked to drop into coverage more than I expect. Freeney and Suggs are very similar in size, but Mathis is smaller than both, which would lead me to think he would be the more agile one and would be better in coverage

Then look at the play that starts at 2:43. JJ is back in the more traditional LB spot and Suggs is at the LOS but still in a two point stance. There is also a CB on the outside of Suggs which helps on this play because the RB who stays in to block goes to the outside while the dline all slant to the strong side. So what happens is the tackle is left one on one with Suggs, who beats him as soon as he starts his kick slide, Suggs gets in and pressures Sanchez and forces the bad, early throw which Webb gets for a pick 6.

Anyone who watches that and doesn't get excited about Freeney playing that same role does NOT understand football.

A commitment to showing multiple looks combined with plenty of access to what these guys are proven to do best is an exciting approach. I'm in the camp of folks that believe that the "accent looks" will add more value to the mainstay looks than they subtract by being new or uncomfortable. In March, I thought Freeney was gone. Today, with a little understanding of the Hybrid system, that doesn't make sense at all. If he isn't a game wrecker he won't be resigned. If he is, I sure hope he is given a lucrative, but sensible 3 yr extension or that we make a solid offer to him if he is allowed to go to free agency. The assumption of developing his replacement is flawed - look at the # of teams perpetually trying to draft/develop a pass rusher. If it works, we have something special, and the sooner you win, the quicker talented newcomers learn to win.

i like bethea, but his isn't close to ed reed.

Probably true, but he hasn't had the chaos to capitalize on that Ed Reed has had. Bethea has made a lot of plays, but the nature of football says that a ball hawking safety makes more plays in an attacking style of defense. When you make a list of Colts players that might go from good to great in this system of opportunity, he is on it. Ed Reed = one of a kind though.

haha do it! Unfortunately for me, Kevin Thomas is now #21 and he hasn't shown any signs of being Superman. He is making a liar out of my username

Kevin Thomas is the alter ego (like Clark Kent) of Superman. Once he takes off his pads and helmet, he flies around and saves everyone.

Probably true, but he hasn't had the chaos to capitalize on that Ed Reed has had. Bethea has made a lot of plays, but the nature of football says that a ball hawking safety makes more plays in an attacking style of defense. When you make a list of Colts players that might go from good to great in this system of opportunity, he is on it. Ed Reed = one of a kind though.

He doesn't have the range Ed Reed has. No one does, really. But Bethea is a multi-tool player that should benefit from the new defensive scheme.

A commitment to showing multiple looks combined with plenty of access to what these guys are proven to do best is an exciting approach. I'm in the camp of folks that believe that the "accent looks" will add more value to the mainstay looks than they subtract by being new or uncomfortable. In March, I thought Freeney was gone. Today, with a little understanding of the Hybrid system, that doesn't make sense at all. If he isn't a game wrecker he won't be resigned. If he is, I sure hope he is given a lucrative, but sensible 3 yr extension or that we make a solid offer to him if he is allowed to go to free agency. The assumption of developing his replacement is flawed - look at the # of teams perpetually trying to draft/develop a pass rusher. If it works, we have something special, and the sooner you win, the quicker talented newcomers learn to win.

I still don't think it makes sense to keep him at $14m for this season, so I hope something gets done with his contract at some point. But I really like the idea of setting him loose in this new defense, and I hope he can handle the new responsibilities and still be a game-changer at the same time.

He doesn't have the range Ed Reed has. No one does, really. But Bethea is a multi-tool player that should benefit from the new defensive scheme.

Range is an interesting word. Range suggests speed. I don't think that sets Reed apart from others. Ball skills and play making anticipation may be what he has that no one else does, but I'm not sure that Reed has anything physically that Bethea lacks. 41 is probably a step faster, and probably always has been. Can't argue with the premise, however, that hoping for Bethea to equal Reed is akin to hoping for Angerer to equal Lewis. Reed has redefined the position.

I still don't think it makes sense to keep him at $14m for this season, so I hope something gets done with his contract at some point. But I really like the idea of setting him loose in this new defense, and I hope he can handle the new responsibilities and still be a game-changer at the same time.

We'll disagree on this all day long, because $14 Mill is the perfect hedge against the transition not working. Pay now with no threat to mortgaging the future. Whatever you could spend that $14 Mill on this year pales in comparison to the potential production of 93 anyway.

We'll disagree on this all day long, because $14 Mill is the perfect hedge against the transition not working. Pay now with no threat to mortgaging the future. Whatever you could spend that $14 Mill on this year pales in comparison to the potential production of 93 anyway.

If his production is enough to justify anywhere near the $14 million, then why not extend his contract and lower his cap hit for 2012?

If his production is enough to justify anywhere near the $14 million, then why not extend his contract and lower his cap hit for 2012?

I'm all for extending him after we see production in the new scheme, that would be my hope. However, my guess is they will allow him to go to free agency or right up to the wire like we did with Mathis. We'll probably get a better deal that way at his age. I want to win now but don't want to make any moves that threaten a very favorable cap situation in 2013 and beyond. We are paying all of our cap penalties for being a perennial 12 win team during our rebuilding year with a rookie QB...can't do anything to >>> that up.

Yeah haha I agree. Ed Reed is a HOFer, Bethea isn't even close to HOF

Bethea did play in the pro bowl in 2008. His combine forty was faster than Reed. Reed will be a HOF one day. Lets see what Bethea can do in this new scheme.

Bethea did play in the pro bowl in 2008. His combine forty was faster than Reed. Reed will be a HOF one day. Lets see what Bethea can do in this new scheme.

I think Bethea is very underrated. If Reed wasn't in the AFC, Bethea would make more Pro Bowls. If the defense plays lights out, he might get more recognition

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCVPpVGCa64

Pause the first play of this highlight reel and check out the defensive alignment. You play a lot nickel in this league and this is a really good picture of how the Colts are likely to slide into a nickel package. Suggs and Johnson with a hand down rushing (Mathis and Freeney), Can't tell who the DL are in this picture but Redding typically stays, and Ngata slides over (probably Nevis for us) with the NT rotating out. This 4-2-5 alignment comes from a 2-4-5 personnel group and should make most Colts fans feel like the 2 best players on our defense are still going to be able to do what they are best at.

This video is a testament to how awful both Sanchez and Flacco are. So many picks, poor snaps, and lack of judgement.

Range is an interesting word. Range suggests speed. I don't think that sets Reed apart from others. Ball skills and play making anticipation may be what he has that no one else does, but I'm not sure that Reed has anything physically that Bethea lacks. 41 is probably a step faster, and probably always has been. Can't argue with the premise, however, that hoping for Bethea to equal Reed is akin to hoping for Angerer to equal Lewis. Reed has redefined the position.

Whatever it is that allows him to get around the field so easily and terrorize quarterbacks, whether it's speed or anticipation, or a mix of both, is what I'm calling his range. And Bethea has great range, but no one can cover as much field as Ed Reed.

I think Bethea is very underrated. If Reed wasn't in the AFC, Bethea would make more Pro Bowls. If the defense plays lights out, he might get more recognition

he also competes with Polamalu too. It is a shame that Bethea has never gotten the recognition he deserves because even when Sanders was playing well, Bethea outplayed him.

and people just gush about them because they are adequate enough game managers that they have a won a few playoff games.

And there was not a single offensive highlight in that entire video. It was all pick-6's, fumbles, bad snap exchanges, you name it. Neither QB had a TD pass. All the points came on defense or ST's. At least Sanchez had the Jets ST TD to work with, but to no surprise, it didn't electrify the Jets offense whatsoever. If anything, it made them cocky and worse.

he also competes with Polamalu too. It is a shame that Bethea has never gotten the recognition he deserves because even when Sanders was playing well, Bethea outplayed him.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Bethea is good, but he isn't the ballhawk that Reed is and he isn't the huge hitter than Sanders was. He is a good, reliable guy you can put in at FS and not have to worry about

And there was not a single offensive highlight in that entire video. It was all pick-6's, fumbles, bad snap exchanges, you name it. Neither QB had a TD pass. All the points came on defense or ST's. At least Sanchez had the Jets ST TD to work with, but to no surprise, it didn't electrify the Jets offense whatsoever. If anything, it made them cocky and worse.

Exactly, seems like both Flacco and Sanchez aren't franchise QBs and I don't believe that they can win a super bowl unless they step up their game.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Bethea is good, but he isn't the ballhawk that Reed is and he isn't the huge hitter than Sanders was. He is a good, reliable guy you can put in at FS and not have to worry about

He may not be a ball hawk or a hard hitter, but I will take his consistency over those guy's abilities. I love Reed and Sanders but both have been injury prone for the past few years. In my mind, Bethea has already surpassed Sanders in my mind because Bethea has consistently been able to play a full season and still produce at a high level.

He may not be a ball hawk or a hard hitter, but I will take his consistency over those guy's abilities. I love Reed and Sanders but both have been injury prone for the past few years. In my mind, Bethea has already surpassed Sanders in my mind because Bethea has consistently been able to play a full season and still produce at a high level.

But Bethea hasn't reached Bob's level, in my opinion. Bob was good enough to be a DPOY when he was relatively healthy (13/16 games). Bethea has been consistent and reliable, but nothing over the top. With the new defense though, I'm hoping Pagano and Mularky take full advantage of Bethea's abilities so he can get the credit he deserves

But Bethea hasn't reached Bob's level, in my opinion. Bob was good enough to be a DPOY when he was relatively healthy (13/16 games). Bethea has been consistent and reliable, but nothing over the top. With the new defense though, I'm hoping Pagano and Mularky take full advantage of Bethea's abilities so he can get the credit he deserves

True he hasn't gotten to Sanders's DPOY year but I know I would rather take consistency over just one very good year. Along with being a huge part of our defense during our super bowl year. I think Bethea will be the focal point in Manusky's defense. Manusky took Eric Weddle from no name to pro bowler in no time and Pagano taught Ed Reed during college and last year and Reed shined even though he had injuries.

True he hasn't gotten to Sanders's DPOY year but I know I would rather take consistency over just one very good year. Along with being a huge part of our defense during our super bowl year. I think Bethea will be the focal point in Manusky's defense. Manusky took Eric Weddle from no name to pro bowler in no time and Pagano taught Ed Reed during college and last year and Reed shined even though he had injuries.

I don't think Bethea's pure talent and ability is near that of Ed Reed's or Bob Sanders'. But I do think he is more talented than Weddle, so I'm hoping for some big things. Pagano and Manusky have a great piece at FS; they need to utilize his talents

I don't think Bethea's pure talent and ability is near that of Ed Reed's or Bob Sanders'. But I do think he is more talented than Weddle, so I'm hoping for some big things. Pagano and Manusky have a great piece at FS; they need to utilize his talents

Free Safeties need chaos in order to be playmakers. Hopefully we'll have some this year. Comparisons to Ed Reed are indeed foolish, but Ed Reed would probably not be in the conversation of greatness and redefining the position if he played in a system designed to give up the short pass and play the ball on the ground not in the air.

Free Safeties need chaos in order to be playmakers. Hopefully we'll have some this year. Comparisons to Ed Reed are indeed foolish, but Ed Reed would probably not be in the conversation of greatness and redefining the position if he played in a system designed to give up the short pass and play the ball on the ground not in the air.

That's right. Players have a defined skillset and coaches need to adapt their system to fit their players. You don't make Troy Polamalu cover a TE just like you don't make Peyton Manning run a pitch option offense