Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free agent veteran CB's

Scott21

Perfect opportunities for the Colts to bolster the secondary: The Jags released Drew Coleman, and the Bills released Drayton Florence. One or both of these veteran corners would be a solid boost to the Colts depleted secondary, especially Coleman, if nothing else for one season. Thoughts?

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/232788/bills-release-veteran-corner-drayton-florence

Perfect opportunities for the Colts to bolster the secondary: The Jags released Drew Coleman, and the Bills released Drayton Florence. One or both of these veteran corners would be a solid boost to the Colts depleted secondary, especially Coleman, if nothing else for one season. Thoughts?

http://www.rotoworld...rayton-florence

Both are just Nickel Corners, we need to see if we actually have any starting Corners and not add another Nickel Corner

Both are just Nickel Corners, we need to see if we actually have any starting Corners and not add another Nickel Corner

we need a nickel corner unless you want brandon king or Rucker to be lining up on slot receivers

we need a nickel corner unless you want brandon king or Rucker to be lining up on slot receivers

and you trust our STARTING Corners? I dont trust Rucker or King but they are the least of our Corner problems, if our starting Corners struggle I would rather replace them first, not saying we dont need a nickel corner Im just saying we got bigger Corner problems then Nickel

and you trust our STARTING Corners? I dont trust Rucker or King but they are the least of our Corner problems, if our starting Corners struggle I would rather replace them first, not saying we dont need a nickel corner Im just saying we got bigger Corner problems then Nickel

at this point in the offseason who do you see out there thats a legitimate starting corner minus a trade for mike Jenkins which is unlikely to happen..we are going to have to ride with Kevin Thomas as the #2 and hopefully sign a veteran nickel corner like florence or Coleman instead of having King or Rucker or a undrafted free agent out their covering the slot

and by the way Drayton Florence is a starting conerback in this league he was a 3 year starter for the bills and started for the jags and a 2 year starter for the chargers so i say we take a chance on Florence who is a starting cb

at this point in the offseason who do you see out there thats a legitimate starting corner minus a trade for mike Jenkins which is unlikely to happen..we are going to have to ride with Kevin Thomas as the #2 and hopefully sign a veteran nickel corner like florence or Coleman instead of having King or Rucker or a undrafted free agent out their covering the slot

I'd rather leave the Corner situation as, is unless a miraculous trade happens we need to see who can play nickel. the worst they can do is what our Corners have been doing the majority of the last 14 years (which means a we have a high draft pick coming again and can address our current number 1 corner problem while moving him to #2 and getting our potential shutdown Corner, I see no reason to just bring in a nickel corner when it hasnt been proven we even have a #1 Corner

and by the way Drayton Florence is a starting conerback in this league he was a 3 year starter for the bills and started for the jags and a 2 year starter for the chargers so i say we take a chance on Florence who is a starting cb

ok so he is just a number 2 corner then, we may have one in Powers (he hasnt shown he is a #1 yet), you address number 1 in this case before #2

ok so he is just a number 2 corner then, we may have one in Powers (he hasnt shown he is a #1 yet)

Powers is the best cb we got right now hands down and with florence's starter experience in a 3-4 defense i would most definitely sign Florence to provide that veteran presence in the cb core

Powers is the best cb we got right now hands down and with florence's starter experience in a 3-4 defense i would most definitely sign Florence to provide that veteran presence in the cb core

I believe Powers to be our best Corner to this point as well, but is that really saying much?

I believe Powers to be our best Corner to this point as well, but is that really saying much?

he's young and has a lot room to grow into a quality starter he just aint have the right coaching and guidance since Hayden left and Pagano is a defensive backs coach im sure powers will be fine..as of right now Florence or Thomas is our best option at the #2 corner spot i would prefer Florence and throw thomas as the nickel but thats just me

It's saying we don't have a lot of talent at CB. I like Powers, but he's brittle. I have a lot of hope for Rucker and Thomas showed a little promise last year.

All that being said, we don't know how any of them will be used in this new D. But if we see them giving 10 yard cushions, I may have to remove all the throwable objects in front of my TV.

he's young and has a lot room to grow into a quality starter he just aint have the right coaching and guidance since Hayden left and Pagano is a defensive backs coach im sure powers will be fine..as of right now Florence or Thomas is our best option at the #2 corner spot i would prefer Florence and throw thomas as the nickel but thats just me

could work but so could our Corners now, we got 10-11 hopefully 2-3 can play :lol:

It's saying we don't have a lot of talent at CB. I like Powers, but he's brittle. I have a lot of hope for Rucker and Thomas showed a little promise last year.

All that being said, we don't know how any of them will be used in this new D. But if we see them giving 10 yard cushions, I may have to remove all the throwable objects in front of my TV.

I would have prefered getting a Corner in the draft but we should see what these guys can do with the new scheme, with that said I still dont think we have a shutdown Corner and with the talent we play twice a year we do need one

I would have prefered getting a Corner in the draft but we should see what these guys can do with the new scheme, with that said I still dont think we have a shutdown Corner and with the talent we play twice a year we do need one

CB was never a priority with the old regime, mainly due to the T2. I respect what they're trying to do in the draft, build the offense first.

Next year we'll see if they go all D, and how much priority we put on the DBs. Can't say it isn't going to be fun!

CB was never a priority with the old regime, mainly due to the T2. I respect what they're trying to do in the draft, build the offense first.

Next year we'll see if they go all D, and how much priority we put on the DBs. Can't say it isn't going to be fun!

definitly will be along with the upcoming season as well

Drayton is 31 years old, played in 135 games with 17 interceptions and 87 passes defensed and at 6' and 193 lbs he would probably be worth kicking the tires on and see what he has left in the tank for a year or two?

Or, would that stunt the growth of the current CB's? Only time will tell................

First off, Jerraud Powers has been the only consistent, reliable CB on the roster. He's played well, even in an awful 4-3 cover 2 defense. Kevin Thomas' actual first season was last year, and even then he didn't get to play much, but when he did he showed flashes. I think before we judge that our starters are awful, we should at least give them a chance in the new defense, they could prove people wrong.

Second, the point of this post was to help add veteran depth to the secondary. Drayton Florence was in fact a starter for the Chargers, Jags and Bills, and he knows how to play in a 3-4 defense. Drew Coleman is a nickel corner, true, but he played pretty well last season for the Jags, and the Colts will most likely be in nickel packages often next season.

Case in point, I don't think anyone feels comfortable with Chris Rucker and Mike Holmes playing nickel/dime backs. Both Florence and Coleman can alleviate that problem and play well in Pagano's defense.

Yeah, seriously. He's more of a starting corner than anyone on our roster right now.

This would be a no-brainer FA signing if we can get him.

Worth the one year deals, but it seems that they want to see how our CBs currently on the roster are going to do in the new system, plus they just signed Micah Pellerin, who's a tough CB who can get some good time on the field.

I like florence. hes a good nickel CB. someone id like the colts to sign. but how would signing anyone be possible? after signing draft picks there isnt much room to play with in cap space. so i dont see the colts getting a DB unless they trade freeney for one.

I liked the possiBILLity that Bills CB Leodis McKelvin might be had in a trade, but their release of Florence would seem to put a hold on that.

Still, one never knows, and God knows we need to explore options to upgrade at the CB position having failed to address this need in the draft.

For a 1 year deal sign him up.Just a band-aid until next draft.

nickel corners basically covers the slot or tight end when in their 5 db sets(nickel package)

Therefore, they usually aren't as fast as regular corners, but are more quick and agile so they can keep up with the slot WR as he makes his breaks. Right?