Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Texans post game

GoColts8818

32 minutes ago, KB said:

He might get us a few more wins than Richardson, but by no means does that actually help us.

Playing Anthony isnt helping us.  Hes getting playing time that he never earned.  He didnt earn in the offseason, or in college for that matter.  

Hes not ready.  Bad decisions, really bad %, he should sit until he earns his way on the field.  Joe played with the same team and completed 65%

• Like 1

Just now, stitches said:

This is what I mean when I say the WRs need to help the QB a bit. 

And this doesn't excuse AR's own issues, but we just need our receivers to be better for their QB.

Yeah the problem is the play calling the receivers, and the QB.  All need to be better.   You can’t do much about the defense making plays other than hope they don’t.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah the problem is the play calling the receivers, and the QB.  All need to be better.   You can’t do much about the defense making plays other than hope they don’t.

Yeah, it's kind of a perfect storm of unfortunate events and underperforming playcallers and players right now. It's kind of shocking how much in those games we've been considering how poorly Steichen has called some of those games, how inconsistent our pass catchers have been and how... AR-ey AR has been.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

And this doesn't excuse AR's own issues, but we just need our receivers to be better for their QB.

Speaking of WR helping.  With this WR room and with JT discovering that the football field extends from the hash mark to the sideline, and Raimann at LT, this offense would look great with 2021 Carson Wentz.

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

We’re better than the Chiefs.  And they have Mahomes.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Speaking of WR helping.  With this WR room and with JT discovering that the football field extends from the hash mark to the sideline, and Raimann at LT, this offense would look great with 2021 Carson Wentz.

JT was amazing in 2021. Not much better he could have been...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RollerColt said:

One thing is for certain. 

The Colts showed that the Texans are not in the same stratosphere as the Chiefs. I think we can lay rest the ridiculous notion that Stroud was going to overthrow Kansas in the playoffs. 

The great KC Chiefs only won by seven against the dreadful Raiders yesterday. We all know division games are usually tight, especially when teams are missing/losing key players during the game… Patrick also hasn’t been himself so far this season, despite their record. I don’t see them as this unbeatable force. 

32 minutes ago, dw49 said:

There was exactly a minute to go when Indy took over at their own 5 . Houston had all 3 time outs left . To say they wouldn't use those timeouts if Indy took 3 knees is ...  They would have the ball most likely inside our 50 with about 40 seconds left . 

Would someone please take over for me on this ? I'm tired of explaining the obvious .

Once again you are ASSUMING. There have been plenty of games where we have seen teams have 40 or more seconds on the clock and they’ll just take it to the half. When AR threw the interception it was 3rd and 3 there was exactly 34 seconds on the clock had they kneeled the ball on the second and third down. Even IF Houston used their timeouts you would’ve likely left them with around MAYBE give or take 28 seconds on the clock. WITHOUT timeouts therefore they have to either utilize the sideline or clock the play. The chances of them being able to get 6 points is less than 10% the chances of them being able to secure 3 points is about 30-40%. Regardless I would rather give up a Field Goal over the 7 points the conceded. Everything you’re trying to explain is based on an ASSUMPTION that Houston would have used their time outs. 

3 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Not all on AR..... watch the video and feel free to puke. Plus he was pressured an incredible 50% of his pass plays.

Outside of a couple that were decent, there wasn't a good throw in the bunch.  The term drop seems subjective. 

These also don't seem to be demanded first read throws.  It looks like AR chose difficult throws, with more open receivers evident in most patterns.   But I'm sure Shane told him to throw the ball to the receiver he did....via voice in ARs helmet during the play.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

I personally don't understand what we're doing from an offensive perspective. I've said it in another thread I don't understand why we're not using AR's best skillset to it's full advantage. Get him out of the pocket on roll outs or play action, but instead we're in shotgun all game and we're forcing him to make throws in the pocket. It just baffles me why we're not using his legs more not just for design runs. You can use his legs to get him out to the perimeter to stress defenses, but instead we leave him in the pocket to try to make throws he can't make.

I whole heartedly agree, if you look at what Buffalo does with Josh Allen they do that well. They install an offense that plays to the strengths of his skillset. It just seems that Shane and Bob are caught up in trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. I get what Shane did with Jalen Hurts but he needs to understand they are two completely different players and should be treated as such. 

• Like 1

Just now, ProblChld32 said:

Once again you are ASSUMING. There have been plenty of games where we have seen teams have 40 or more seconds on the clock and they’ll just take it to the half. When AR threw the interception it was 3rd and 3 there was exactly 34 seconds on the clock had they kneeled the ball on the second and third down. Even IF Houston used their timeouts you would’ve likely left them with around MAYBE give or take 28 seconds on the clock. WITHOUT timeouts therefore they have to either utilize the sideline or clock the play. The chances of them being able to get 6 points is less than 10% the chances of them being able to secure 3 points is about 30-40%. Regardless I would rather give up a Field Goal over the 7 points the conceded. Everything you’re trying to explain is based on an ASSUMPTION that Houston would have used their time outs. 

I never said the play calling was good. I just said that taking 3 knees from your own 5 yard line with a minute left and the other team having all their time outs left is a really poor argument. Where did you get the statistics of 30-40 % of a successful FG if the Colts punted from there own 3 yard line. Their kicker is the best in football at nailing 50+ FGs. Say the punt nets 45 yards . That gives Houston the ball at our 48 with around 25-28 seconds left . They only need about 15 years for a 50 yard attempt . Their kicker is 9-10 this year from 50 and over , including a game winner from 59. 

So give me your source for that "30 to 40% chance of a successful FG . What I said is you run the ball 3 times and maybe mix in a screen to Taylor. Never in my wildest dreams would I call pass plays after the first down play gained 7 yards . You run the ball twice , get the 1st down or hope Houston doesn't use time outs. If they take knees from first down on , any * would call time outs. If maybe the second down play gains 2 yards , maybe Houston doesn't use the time outs. The priority IMO is to get to halftime tied . S.S tried to score and I think that was no doubt bad coaching.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Qwiz said:

The great KC Chiefs only won by seven against the dreadful Raiders yesterday. We all know division games are usually tight, especially when teams are missing/losing key players during the game… Patrick also hasn’t been himself so far this season, despite their record. I don’t see them as this unbeatable force. 

The Taylor Swift Chiefs will not be denied their Hallmark Movie fairy tale ending. 

I’ve had my * burned too many times expecting them to lose, especially after how bad the offense was last year. It didn’t matter. They’re like the Patriots of old. Teams get scared in the playoffs, make inexplicable mistakes and shoot themselves in the foot. 

They’re going 20-0 and 3-peating. 

(Please prove me wrong)

7 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I never said the play calling was good. I just said that taking 3 knees from your own 5 yard line with a minute left and the other team having all their time outs left is a really poor argument. Where did you get the statistics of 30-40 % of a successful FG if the Colts punted from there own 3 yard line. Their kicker is the best in football at nailing 50+ FGs. Say the punt nets 45 yards . That gives Houston the ball at our 48 with around 25-28 seconds left . They only need about 15 years for a 50 yard attempt . Their kicker is 9-10 this year from 50 and over , including a game winner from 59. 

So give me your source for that "30 to 40% chance of a successful FG . What I said is you run the ball 3 times and maybe mix in a screen to Taylor. Never in my wildest dreams would I call pass plays after the first down play gained 7 yards . You run the ball twice , get the 1st down or hope Houston doesn't use time outs. If they take knees from first down on , any * would call time outs. If maybe the second down play gains 2 yards , maybe Houston doesn't use the time outs. The priority IMO is to get to halftime tied . S.S tried to score and I think that was no doubt bad coaching.

AR checked into the play that got picked, and then thought he could fit the ball into Downs.  That's 2 decisions he did not have to make.  AR could have thrown it at Downs' feet if he thought he was covered.   The QB is supposed to protect the FB, especially in the shadow of the goal posts, no matter what play is called in the huddle.

• Thanks 1

This was the Dolphins Plan, and will continue happening until Richardson's timing, accuracy, and help from his receivers improves. Another reason to run more as defenses are over-committing to pressure packages.

Anthony Richardson was pressured on 64.1% of dropbacks vs the Texans per

@NextGenStats

There have been three instances this season where a quarterback is pressured on 60.0% or more of his dropbacks in a single game: Anthony Richardson is two of them (Weeks 7 & 😎

• Like 1

Not sure I agree with the benching. He has been injured and on the bench for like 20 of 25 possible starts. Not sure how much more sitting is going to help the kid. He has very little real football experience since high school. Although at this point im highly doubtful this ends with any type of good outcome I do think whatever little chance AR has to succeed at this point will come from reps and experience.

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

The Taylor Swift Chiefs will not be denied their Hallmark Movie fairy tale ending. 

I’ve had my * burned too many times expecting them to lose, especially after how bad the offense was last year. It didn’t matter. They’re like the Patriots of old. Teams get scared in the playoffs, make inexplicable mistakes and shoot themselves in the foot. 

They’re going 20-0 and 3-peating. 

(Please prove me wrong)

Last season’s ending definitely seemed like a fairy tale for sure, with Taylor and her celebrity fans in attendance, and the awful mistakes the 9ers made again…

I agree that teams see them as a juggernaut in the playoffs and make mental errors against them, like they did against New England. Lamar, Allen and Joe have had their aspirations dashed so many times in the past, that hopefully they can summon some much needed motivation if and when the time comes…

1 minute ago, Dobbinblitz said:

This was the Dolphins Plan, and will continue happening until Richardson's timing, accuracy, and help from his receivers improves. Another reason to run more as defenses are over-committing to pressure packages.

Anthony Richardson was pressured on 64.1% of dropbacks vs the Texans per

@NextGenStats

There have been three instances this season where a quarterback is pressured on 60.0% or more of his dropbacks in a single game: Anthony Richardson is two of them (Weeks 7 & 😎

What does that mean?  Is AR getting flushed from the pocket, or is he prematurely feeling the pocket close in then runs towards more pressure?  I would want to align that stat with the grade of the oline players to be confident AR isn't contributing to his own pressures.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

AR checked into the play that got picked, and then thought he could fit the ball into Downs.  That's 2 decisions he did not have to make.  AR could have thrown it at Downs' feet if he thought he was covered.   The QB is supposed to protect the FB, especially in the shadow of the goal posts, no matter what play is called in the huddle.

That's bench worthy. Not just next game, but should have been benched at halftime. What are we doing...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

Not all on AR..... watch the video and feel free to puke. Plus he was pressured an incredible 50% of his pass plays.

You have to remember, if the ball isn't placed with pin-point accuracy and perfect touch it's the QBs fault... /sarcasm. 🤮

47 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Listening to Steichen’s press conference today it certainly sounds like AR is getting benched.   And rightfully so.

I'm out for the season if they play Flacco... can't be bothered with another wasted year.

PFF Grades vs. Texans

OFFENSE

QB:

Richardson 55.4

OL:

Smith - 71.2, Nelson - 68.4, Tucker - 67.6, Kelly - 64.8, Raimann - 56.3,

WR / TE

Downs - 79.6, Cox - 64.7, Dulin - 59.1, Ogletree - 58.0, Mitchell - 56.3, Pierce - 55.9, Grandon - 52.9, Mallory - 52.4, Pittman - 50.9.

RB

Taylor - 66.7, Sermon - 63.9, Goodson - 30.1

DEFENSE

DL

Odeyingbo - 89.8, Stewart - 70.9, Buckner - 67.1, Bryan - 66.1, Gotsis - 64.3, Paye - 60.1, Davis - 47.2, Adebawore - 43.3, Latu - 40.9

CB / S

Jones - 77.2, Blackmon - 70.6. Moore - 60.2, Cross - 37.7, Womack - 30.6

LB

Speed - 59.4, Franklin - 53.7, Stuard - 49.8, 

AR has said he’s “one of one” and only Lamar runs better and the standard QB ratings can’t measure him — all in one press conference after a loss in which he quit for a play and completed a shockingly low percentage of his passes. I don’t think there’s any reason to be concerned about the kid’s confidence if he gets benched. 

5 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

PFF Grades vs. Texans

OFFENSE

QB:

Richardson 55.4

OL:

Smith - 71.2, Nelson - 68.4, Tucker - 67.6, Kelly - 64.8, Raimann - 56.3,

WR / TE

Downs - 79.6, Cox - 64.7, Dulin - 59.1, Ogletree - 58.0, Mitchell - 56.3, Pierce - 55.9, Grandon - 52.9, Mallory - 52.4, Pittman - 50.9.

RB

Taylor - 66.7, Sermon - 63.9, Goodson - 30.1

DEFENSE

DL

Odeyingbo - 89.8, Stewart - 70.9, Buckner - 67.1, Bryan - 66.1, Gotsis - 64.3, Paye - 60.1, Davis - 47.2, Adebawore - 43.3, Latu - 40.9

CB / S

Jones - 77.2, Blackmon - 70.6. Moore - 60.2, Cross - 37.7, Womack - 30.6

LB

Speed - 59.4, Franklin - 53.7, Stuard - 49.8, 

Totally agree with PPF scores. Raimann , Pittman , Latu ( invisible) , Womack and Franklin were really bad. I didn't notice Cross messing up all that much and the Richardson grade is no doubt deserved .  

On another note , Davis appears to be a HORRIBLE FA signing. Looks like we eat 2.5 mill next year and move on from that one.

4 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I don't think this will be the case. 

I don’t know but the fact that the Colts cracked opened the door after being so firm in nope he’s the guy is telling in its own right.  Maybe they are just doing it to get AR’s attention but it’s a big shift.  

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t know but the fact that the Colts cracked opened the door after being so firm in nope he’s the guy is telling in its own right.  Maybe they are just doing it to get AR’s attention but it’s a big shift.  

Agree

3 hours ago, KB said:

Is Flacco catching the ball too? The passes from Richardson wernt the big issue outside of a few (I agree with another poster that Flacco probably dosnt make the INT)(there was a throw to Pierce after the Downs TD that he threw to him instead of in front of him). Putting Flacco in dosnt change the drops or the good coverage. Another thing that dosnt happen is Flacco getting away from the pressure or throwing a Dlineman off his back and running for a gain. 

Flacco isn't the cure all people make out to be. He might get us a few more wins than Richardson, but by no means does that actually help us. He won't get us playoff wins, we would get a worse draft pick (middle of the pack), and lose all possible development for Richardson. The point that they start Flacco over a healthy AR is the point that they are throwing the towel in on AR. Which is about the point you start a rebuild.

Not forgetting some of the passes were "dropped" but would not have been had AR led his receivers correctly. "Dropped" is yes it hit the receivers hands but for example the pass was thrown to the left side when it should have been to the right side. Another "drop" is the pass was thrown just behind the receiver but it touched his hands. The point is this is the NFL and already there are buzzwords of not only leaving the team but the NFL. I want him to succeed but it was gut wrenching seeing him so inept not having a clue on what to do. It may be the coaching, who knows. It bothered me that he never had any facial expression while      going back to the bench. I think it is much deeper than physical skills. A ten yard scramble and he takes himself out of the game?! Unheard of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

Totally agree with PPF scores. Raimann , Pittman , Latu ( invisible) , Womack and Franklin were really bad. I didn't notice Cross messing up all that much and the Richardson grade is no doubt deserved .  

On another note , Davis appears to be a HORRIBLE FA signing. Looks like we eat 2.5 mill next year and move on from that one.

Yes, Davis's PFF grade through 8 games is 39.9

17 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Shane may not be to blame for the late INT after all.  AR checked into that play.

1 hour ago, ShuteAt168 said:

AR has said he’s “one of one” and only Lamar runs better and the standard QB ratings can’t measure him — all in one press conference after a loss in which he quit for a play and completed a shockingly low percentage of his passes. I don’t think there’s any reason to be concerned about the kid’s confidence if he gets benched. 

Honestly I am a bit worried about him being overconfident, believing he can "fit it in" when he has accuracy issues and when it is okay to throw it away, check it down or run, instead of forcing a risky throw. You have to be self-aware to grow, if you don't acknowledge your weaknesses how can you improve upon them.