Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It will never happen, but...

Indeee

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

I definitely like him a lot. From what I've seen in person he looks legit. 

I want to see how he fares against the meat and potatoes of the schedule. It's just brutal... Nebraska on October 19th, then Washington, MI State, Michigan, Ohio State and as always end at Purdue. 

If they split wins with that final stretch, that's one hell of an accomplishment. 

That's not brutal at all. Look at Purdue's schedule... 

Just got shellacked by Notre Dame. They now play Nebraska, Illinois, Oregon, Ohio State, and Penn State in a matter of 8 weeks. 

19 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I think Young's fiasco is going to ruin the small quarterbacks future in the league. 

Yes.. At least some pundits are saying that he is also not that athletic or accurate, which are traits that can make up for the lack of height.  If true, BY has no redeeming qualities with which to think he is an NFL QB...which some were saying back then but were drowned out.

Hopefully, it makes folks rethink about the value of college QBs  "out of structure" playmaking translating to the NFL.  Bringing QB evaluation back to real earth a bit

• Like 1

Just now, DougDew said:

Yes.. At least some pundits are saying that he is also not that athletic or accurate, which are traits that can make up for the lack of height.  If true, BY has no redeeming qualities with which to think he is an NFL QB...which some were saying back then but were drowned out.

Hopefully, it takes the shine off of folks who value college QBs by simply their "out of structure" playmaking (hopefully) translating to the NFL.  Bringing QB evaluation back to real earth a bit

We're seeing how Stroud is able to take away that viewpoint. 

Stroud's production, consistency, poise and accuracy should be coveted. 

Even Mahomes, with all of his little school yard tactics off script, when you really sit down and watch him you see his mechanics are nearly flawless. He has pocket awareness, he can make throws consistently and he's accurate. The ball is perfectly placed where it needs to be. 

I sometimes wonder if scouts too often ignore the significance of players with baseball backgrounds. In baseball, you absolutely HAVE to be accurate in all of your throws, regardless of what position you play. Even catchers have to make that tough throw to 2nd base from their knees when someone attempts a steal. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I sometimes wonder if scouts too often ignore the significance of players with baseball backgrounds. In baseball, you absolutely HAVE to be accurate in all of your throws, regardless of what position you play. Even catchers have to make that tough throw to 2nd base from their knees when someone attempts a steal. 

A great throw ALWAYS beats the runner (unless its simply too late of course)  And a great throw beats good coverage.

3 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Apparently so. A qb's floor cannot be their single weakest ability. If a qb can score more than others that don't have a weaker ability in any single component, they have a higher floor overall. AR's ability to run and throw accurate bombs downfield raise his floor past his weakest trait of not throwing intermediate throws with accuracy. If he didn't have that ability, he would have a substantially lower floor correct? 

Appreciate the convo. We'll just not see eye-to-eye on this.

To me, the single component does set the floor. That identifies what you're most bad at, thus your floor. In AR's case, he currently has the worst completion percentage in the league amongst starting QBs (I expect this to change positively by the way). I don't see how this can't be a low floor? Sure, he has other abilities that raise his overall play, but IMO this is his floor.

I understand your logic though. He has other traits that raise his floor overall.

5 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

To me, the single component does set the floor. That identifies what you're most bad at, thus your floor. In AR's case, he currently has the worst completion percentage in the league amongst starting QBs (I expect this to change positively by the way). I don't see how this can't be a low floor? Sure, he has other abilities that raise his overall play, but IMO this is his floor.

I understand your logic though. He has other traits that raise his floor overall.

Idk. Seems you are contradicting yourself. If the single component is the floor, how is it raised by other traits? 

Just now, DougDew said:

A great throw ALWAYS beats the runner (unless its simply too late of course)  An a great throw beats good coverage.

I agree. I still think about Eli Manning's perfect throw to the sideline in his 2nd Super Bowl. Complete perfection of ball placement. 

One of the best throws I've ever seen, on the biggest stage at the most crucial time. Talk about clutch!

https://youtu.be/_cXqbqMgNoE?si=aACQJBtXz1s01tHH

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Idk. Seems your contradicting yourself. If the single component is the floor, how is it raised by other traits? 

You raise your floor by improving on your worst trait. Thus your floor goes up.

Your overall play (which is what I believe you keep referring to) is raised by the other traits, like running ability and deep throws.

AR has a low floor, like Tebow, when it comes to being a consistent, accurate passer. But given his other talents, he is still an effective player.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

You raise your floor by improving on your worst trait. Thus your floor goes up.

Your overall play (which is what I believe you keep referring to) is raised by the other traits, like running ability and deep throws.

AR has a low floor, like Tebow, when it comes to being a consistent, accurate passer. But given his other talents, he is still an effective player.

I just don't see your point. He has a low floor, but is still an effective player... So his floor his higher than those that aren't as effective, even though they have a higher completion percentage?

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/film/definition-high-floor-qb-change-jalen-hurts

This article is pretty good on how the definition is changing with mobile qb's. I agree with a lot in this breakdown. The pocket qb is no longer a safe option when drafting. Far more success with mobile qb's, and it's because they have a higher floor which I will never agree is defined by a single trait, but rather the qb's effectiveness and ability to make overall plays that impact games. 

AR's current overall play IS his floor. He's only played 6 games... 19 since high school. We are seeing his floor. 

7 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I just don't see your point. He has a low floor, but is still an effective player... So his floor his higher than those that aren't as effective, even though they have a higher completion percentage?

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/film/definition-high-floor-qb-change-jalen-hurts

This article is pretty good on how the definition is changing with mobile qb's. I agree with a lot in this breakdown. The pocket qb is no longer a safe option when drafting. Far more success with mobile qb's, and it's because they have a higher floor which I will never agree is defined by a single trait, but rather the qb's effectiveness and ability to make overall plays that impact games. 

AR's current overall play IS his floor. He's only played 6 games... 19 since high school. We are seeing his floor. 

Not to get into the middle of this, but as far as floors,  we know from Ballard's teams of the past 7 years that a high floor gets you about .500.  Yawn.

As far as mobile QBs, they will get you yards and first downs with their legs, but its the passing that scores TDs in the NFL.

We need AR to reach his passing ceiling, and that's really all that matters.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

We’re 2-0 if our defense has an average day against the run instead of two back to back historically bad days against the run. 

offense is a problem, yes, but we didn’t lose because of QB play and Flacco entering the picture doesn’t change that

Richardson had 3 INT and a 29 QBR last game...I do think QB play had a lot to do with it.  Sure we gave up a lot of yards, but not a lot of points (we also did not score a lot of points).  We've had the ball for 40 min on offense this season in 2 games COMBINED...that's squarely on the QB not being able to put together drives.   Other than two deep passes in game 1, our passing offense is terrible.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don't think you understand the meaning of a ceiling... If he develops the rest of his game, what happened to the ceiling you are referring to? It just disappeared?

When/if he does do that...then his ceiling will be higher than it currently is. I don't see it as something that gets set at some point (the Combine?) and never changes. That's far too rigid, as well as unrealistic for a player who has played some small number of games since HS.

In this case, it's all dependent on an ability he hasn't proven or shown he can do...the short/intermediate passing game. If he develops that ability, then his ceiling increases. If he doesn't, then it's possible his floor is not as high as people thought.

1 hour ago, runthepost said:

Flacco isn’t stopping teams from running for 200 + yards in back to back weeks. Did you see how he looked in the playoffs last year?

I'm not saying Flacco is the long term answer. I simply said we would be 2-0 right now with him as the starter.  We would have had more long drives on offense, more points etc... our D gave up 200+ yards rushing in back to back weeks, but we didnt give up many points off of those yards.     What i AM saying is that i dont think that Ballard/Richardson are the long term answer, either...and im not sold on Steichen, either.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I think the weakest component really sets the ceiling. AR probably isn't going to get faster or get a stronger arm. 

But depending on which component and how important it is, it can not only jeopardize the ceiling, but also certainly lower the floor too.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

Flacco is back up for a reason.. Geez.. He was average at best his only Super Bowl run season.   

A QB can only be good if his front 5 can block and have not so far   AND..........

The Colts run defense is horrible so far.. 

Average is better than the QB play we've gotten from our starter....and he IS a Super Bowl winning QB. Long term answer? Definitely not...but there's an equally high chance that AR isnt, either.  QBs with a completion % in the 50s in college rarely become accurate once in the NFL.  Everyone is quick to say Josh Allen, but he is the exception, not the norm.

Our o-line is run blocking just fine...and it's much harder to block for a scrambling QB or one who can't read a D and holds the ball too long (leads to more penalties on the line, also).

our run D has been horrible, yes...but our D has been on the game 80 minutes in the past 2 games and our offense only 40 in those same two games...that's a HUGE reason for a D being bad, the TOP being that lopsided.

• Like 1

With better (even average) QB play, having long sustained drives on offense and maybe playing with a LEAD at some point, our D wouldnt look so bad.  Give them the lead and dont have them on the field for 2/3 of every game, and I bet things would look FAR different.

I know I'm not the oldest fan on here by far, but I'm so sick of the losing culture we've had for the majority of the time since Peyton left... I understand Irsay wanted to draft Luck and move on...but he also talked a lot of trash about the Peyton years not long afterwards, and Luck played what, 2 more years than Peyton?   

I hate the way Luck left us high and dry like he did, but I also really liked him as a player... but the choices made in the GM(s) and coaches we've hired since we cleaned house in 2011 is part of the reason he retired early and a huge reason why we are here over a decade later, still "rebuilding".    No one is afraid to play us anymore...we arent seen as a team worthy of having a prime time game on tv...there's no toughness on our team at all, coaches or players, at this point.    People called us a soft team in the 2000s when we werent, we had real leadership...but no one talks about it now, when we are one of the softest, least motivated/prepared teams in the league

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, coltsblue1844 said:

All of the people that love Richardson say that we knew he was a project and it will take years to develop... Then are they saying that they're willing to waste all of the talent we have now in Taylor, Buckner, our O-line, Grover, Pittman etc? Because they will all be well past their prime if Richardson ever turns into an NFL quality Quarterback.

It won't take many more years of losing and having no hope of at least a division title before fans stop showing up to the games... It happened before Manning was drafted, we were literally on the verge of moving to LA

I think the problem is that Ballard waited WAY too long to address the QB situation with a young guy.

If we trade up for Justin Herbert in 2020 (which is what I wanted), we've already won the division multiple times and we're perennial SB contenders. 

Instead Ballard tried to "win now" with washed up QBs. It worked for a year with Rivers, but you knew that was only ever going to be 1-2 years max.

Now we have a long developmental guy in AR. Stroud was my favorite in 2024. AR was my second. Levis was my third. I was in the never Bryce camp, because I don't believe a QB that is barely taller than I am and has less muscle mass than I do could ever succeed, period. 

We have what we have. We have AR, who could be great in a few years, and we have an aging roster that could be finished in a few years. I'm worried Ballard missed his window, but we'll see.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, coltsblue1844 said:

But Peyton had a body of work to see, from college...and you could see early on that he was going to be good. Richardson has nothing to look at to think he will be a franchise QB . Also on the Peyton Manning part, look at how much differently the rules were in the NFL back then...WRs and QBs took far more punishment than they do now, the rules have changed a lot, to make things easier for the offense 

passing TDs waayyyy down this year.  Things oscillate in the league.

You're using the full body of work, but after his fire year, wasn’t all roses nor a guarantee of anything to come.

24 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

With better (even average) QB play, having long sustained drives on offense and maybe playing with a LEAD at some point, our D wouldnt look so bad.  Give them the lead and dont have them on the field for 2/3 of every game, and I bet things would look FAR different.

I know I'm not the oldest fan on here by far, but I'm so sick of the losing culture we've had for the majority of the time since Peyton left... I understand Irsay wanted to draft Luck and move on...but he also talked a lot of trash about the Peyton years not long afterwards, and Luck played what, 2 more years than Peyton?   

I hate the way Luck left us high and dry like he did, but I also really liked him as a player... but the choices made in the GM(s) and coaches we've hired since we cleaned house in 2011 is part of the reason he retired early and a huge reason why we are here over a decade later, still "rebuilding".    No one is afraid to play us anymore...we arent seen as a team worthy of having a prime time game on tv...there's no toughness on our team at all, coaches or players, at this point.    People called us a soft team in the 2000s when we werent, we had real leadership...but no one talks about it now, when we are one of the softest, least motivated/prepared teams in the league

Right on the money.

1 minute ago, Nate! said:

passing TDs waayyyy down this year.  Things oscillate in the league.

You're using the full body of work, but after his fire year, wasn’t all roses nor a guarantee of anything to come.

TD are down in the league because the NCAA doesnt develop QBs ready for the NFL at the rate that they used to...too many teams draft on "potential" and are in a similar boat with projects at QB.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

TD are down in the league because the NCAA doesnt develop QBs ready for the NFL at the rate that they used to...too many teams draft on "potential" and are in a similar boat with projects at QB.

For real... Maybe I'm not old enough to remember. But nowadays the QBs are all so young. We draft and start 3-5 rookies a year it's crazy really. 

I'm not gonna say trade away Richardson because I promise you, like you said, our next QB will be a project too 🤣 just need to run easier plays. 

Just to be clear on a couple things regarding my original post. 

1) I said my suggestion would not happen, so I'm not void of reality.

2) I didn't ever say Flacco was better than AR. I said this team, after trading AR, should just ride the season out with Flacco as we did last year with Minshew once ASR got injured.

3) I don't think AR is terrible. I think HE IS CAM NEWTON prototype, and I AM NOT A FAN of Cam Newton. I think Cam was a terrible QB. Great athlete but terrible QB. Outside of the super bowl year, he stunk especially where his accuracy was in question.

My take is this: I just do not think that this team or any team for that matter will be able to win consistently enough to ensure that team is a super bowl contender year in and year out. Especially without a really strong defensive unit and skill positions around him.

This team is currently void of that. This team has a few decent players but for some reason no one really wants to step up and grab the horns consistently. 

Now if you still feel my post is weird or whatever after I have just said all of this, then so be it 🤷‍♂️

-Peace

• Like 2

I may be wrong, but to me, the last couple games it seems like he is making an effort to play from the pocket more, which is NOT what he needs to do. He is never going to be a true pocket passer as his accuracy does not allow for that, however I think based on his injuries or a fear of him being susceptible to injuries someone or him or a combo has gotten in his ear to become more of a pocket first QB and that is not his game. The GB game was more evidence to this than Houston so maybe it was just one week, but whatever it was, he needs to Run and make plays outside of the pocket too, more so than in the pocket IMHO.

16 hours ago, Indeee said:

I'm back and better than ever baby!! Ha!!

As the title states....

We should trade Richardson to Carolina for their 1st round pick and let Joe Cool run the show. Redraft a QB next year or in 2026.

Here's why...

Carolina botched the young pick, they know it, and Richardson IS Cam and is why I really wasn't a fan of his. Also, I think that in that room there were some that wanted AR. Don't get me wrong, I like him a lot, he's a great athlete, seems to be a good dude, and the potential is ALWAYS going to be there however it will never be consistent enough to seriously compete, just like Cam. Carolina LOVES Cam and instantly makes them relevant according to the clueless owner. Hà!!

I will say that Pierce has looked better so here's hoping I was wrong for all those wanting me to revisit my "Real Ghost" post. Maybe the drafting of AD and the leaked story that we wanted JJ lit a fire, but there were too many drops on Sunday that were not AR's fault unless he needs to take a bit off his throws. In this league though you gotta catch the ball. So maybe give it a couple more weeks. If he betters MORE CONSISTENTLY, then we keep him and all will be good.

Still, I would trade him before the deadline. There is always a team with an ego to take this project. In this league rollercoasters are not fun when it comes to wins and losses especially with a QB dealing with a terrible defense on top. His development will falter as he will be expected to do too much to compensate the defensive woes. Seems like a recipe for disaster that another team can deal with but not us. 

Ballard saves his job and credibility if he explores this move IMHO as it will take ALOT of round things that people play with..Ha!!. He wasn't really onboard if you go by the behind-the-scenes series. I think we all know the "I wish there was more tape" is clearly a reference to AR now. 

Go ahead and throw your darts. I'm waiting Ha!!

This makes no sense. Most likely the Panthers will be getting the 1st pick in the draft based on their performance through 2 games. If the Colts were to approach Carolina, why would they make that trade? It is basically the Colts saying that they dont want Richardson and dont think he is the answer. The Colts are saying that they would rather draft a college qb with no NFL experience over a guy that they have had in the building for over a year.

• Like 2

AR's game is not the intermediate game that primarily wins games in the NFL. He is not accurate enough, so the Colts with AR have to play very similar to what the Ravens do. Utilize Taylor and AR's legs to force the defense to stop the run which in turn opens up the deep shots that AR excels at. Problem is, we don't have the defense that the Ravens do as you need that to compliment the Raven type of approach.

In contrast Stroud is already a master at the short to intermediate passing game and IS a true pocket passer. AR is Not.

Thye pass to Dulin in game one on the post slant was beautiful and it gave you pause to think AR could be that and he will sometimes but not consistent enough. Consistent is the key word here. It's that simple and that's why I brought up trading him.

In this league you need a consistent intermediate game and I'm not sure the Colts can get there Unless they blueprint the Ravens offensively. 

-Peace

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Indeee said:

As the title states....

We should trade Richardson to Carolina for their 1st round pick and let Joe Cool run the show. Redraft a QB next year or in 2026.

Here's why...

Carolina botched the young pick, they know it, and Richardson IS Cam and is why I really wasn't a fan of his. Also, I think that in that room there were some that wanted AR. Don't get me wrong, I like him a lot, he's a great athlete, seems to be a good dude, and the potential is ALWAYS going to be there however it will never be consistent enough to seriously compete, just like Cam. Carolina LOVES Cam and instantly makes them relevant according to the clueless owner. Hà!!

I will say that Pierce has looked better so here's hoping I was wrong for all those wanting me to revisit my "Real Ghost" post. Maybe the drafting of AD and the leaked story that we wanted JJ lit a fire, but there were too many drops on Sunday that were not AR's fault unless he needs to take a bit off his throws. In this league though you gotta catch the ball. So maybe give it a couple more weeks. If he betters MORE CONSISTENTLY, then we keep him and all will be good.

Still, I would trade him before the deadline. There is always a team with an ego to take this project. In this league rollercoasters are not fun when it comes to wins and losses especially with a QB dealing with a terrible defense on top. His development will falter as he will be expected to do too much to compensate the defensive woes. Seems like a recipe for disaster that another team can deal with but not us. 

Ballard saves his job and credibility if he explores this move IMHO as it will take ALOT of round things that people play with..Ha!!. He wasn't really onboard if you go by the behind-the-scenes series. I think we all know the "I wish there was more tape" is clearly a reference to AR now. 

P.S.  The Colts  will not  have to make any trades to move up in the draft  if Richardson is in fact a bust and the Colts still have retained Gus till the end of the season. I bet the Colts will be picking top 5 or even lower. I think  at that point, someone in the Irsay family cleans house.  Ballard will be over due for a termination. Gus is done as a defensive coordinator in the NFL and I bet Ballard and Gus do not find a job in the NFL. Contrary to what most  people on this forum believe,  Ballard will not be sought after if he is fired. Why would he be? Based on  his record, well below 500, he is not a good GM.  I also believe Steichen could be gone if Richardson craters. Now if they finish out of the play offs but Richardson has established himself as that 'guy'.   I could see Steichen getting control  like Shannahan has in San Fran. He would get his own GM to assist in building this defense and hiring the right D coordinator. 

19 hours ago, Indeee said:

As the title states....

Here's why...

What a load of %.

9 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I haven’t given up on AR. He’s mostly a rookie and is still shaking off rust. SS needs to stop acting like frank. I’m done with Ballard and the rest of the front office. 

I have.  3 of the 4 QBs in that draft are likely busts.  Busting at pick one and four are deadly.  It is time to let the kid just play it out but I think we need to start selling parts after next week before trade deadline.  Total rebuild and I think I'd fire Ballard  at some point in December.  We need to get a jump on everyone.  

16 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

I have.  3 of the 4 QBs in that draft are likely busts.  Busting at pick one and four are deadly.  It is time to let the kid just play it out but I think we need to start selling parts after next week before trade deadline.  Total rebuild and I think I'd fire Ballard  at some point in December.  We need to get a jump on everyone.  

O-V-E-R-R-E-A-C-T-I-O-N.

Whenever we win a game that following week you’ll be gone per usual. 

Way too early to label any of them busts. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

O-V-E-R-R-E-A-C-T-I-O-N.

Whenever we win a game that following week you’ll be gone per usual. 

Way too early to label any of them busts. 

I don't think it's an overreaction. We do need to clean house in the front office and get rid of this loser mentality. It's the same old thing every season, after the first couple weeks, We're all already Looking forward to the draft and next year... Everyone seems to have become okay with having these terrible seasons year in and year out and they make excuses and say that everyone's overreacting when they think someone needs fired or a player needs to be replaced. The truth of the matter is losing should never be okay and a team's fan base shouldn't be looking forward to next year before a quarter of the seasons even over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coltsblue1844 said:

I don't think it's an overreaction. We do need to clean house in the front office and get rid of this loser mentality. It's the same old thing every season, after the first couple weeks, We're all already Looking forward to the draft and next year... Everyone seems to have become okay with having these terrible seasons year in and year out and they make excuses and say that everyone's overreacting when they think someone needs fired or a player needs to be replaced. The truth of the matter is losing should never be okay and a team's fan base shouldn't be looking forward to next year before a quarter of the seasons even over.

My post has NOTHING to do with Ballard. I’m not even a supporter of his strategy for building the team. 

He’s overreacting when it comes to AR. And from that standpoint, apparently so are you. 

Go take to the streets and shake your fist at Irsays mansion. Maybe he’ll hear you. 

• Like 1