Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pierce's Speed

compuls1v3

15 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Funny how he went from whipping boy to fan boy.  

Wasn't someone dedicating a thread that tracked how worthless he was each week last year?

(who's the whipping boy this year?  I mean no GM or coaches)

Insert name of DB here haha

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Wasn't someone dedicating a thread that tracked how worthless he was each week last year?

This is a good example of a portion of fans in this forum who just think they know better than Ballard.  There were a few who said that Alec was a waisted pick. 👈

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pierce in the past ran his routes at a speed that Gardner and Ryan just could not get the timing down in tight windows of opportunity. Late and off target.

AR will anticipate those opportunities quicker with experience, and he has that quick release and big gun to out pace defenders ability to close. 

Manning started a bunch in college, threw to his receivers in the off season, took every snap in practice, and it took years for him to quit throwing flutter ball int's. 100 int.'s his 1st 5 seasons, we went 6-10 his 4th season, and he had embarrassing playoff losses.

If we could get our goofballs here to expect that the 2nd half of 2025 and then 2026 and beyond will become AR's Time, this board could read considerably better. 

No Chance of that, because living in the past fits their FB IQ.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Every year it’s a new whipping boy.  I remember Blackmon, Fries, Kelly, even Smith.  People turn on players really fast here.  I bet as soon as Gay misses a field goal people will go after him.  I’m curious to see who it will be this year as well.

• Like 2

Wonder what Dulin clocked once he took off for sidelines.

Looks like the top 3 fastest ballcarriers of Week 1 were in this one game. And if you add in AP's other deep catch, it was 4 of the top 6 fastest ballcarriers:

1. Nico

2. AP

3. Gould (kick return)

6. AP

It's like you either slip on the new turf or you run faster than everybody else. Those are the choices. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Or 

16 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Every year it’s a new whipping boy.  I remember Blackmon, Fries, Kelly, even Smith.  People turn on players really fast here.  I bet as soon as Gay misses a field goal people will go after him.  I’m curious to see who it will be this year as well.

Nelson

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

This is a good example of a portion of fans in this forum who just think they know better than Ballard.  There were a few who said that Alec was a waisted pick. 👈

Well to be fair, he’s had one great game and couple good games. Let’s not measure him for a gold jacket just yet.

that said, it took Reggie Wayne into his third season before he finally put it together to become the Reggie we all love. And that was with Peyton throwing to him

26 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

On the broadcast one of the commentators said he was the fastest white receiver in the league.  Maybe he’s top five in speed.

Pretty racist thing to say in my opinion

• Like 1

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Well to be fair, he’s had one great game and couple good games. Let’s not measure him for a gold jacket just yet.

that said, it took Reggie Wayne into his third season before he finally put it together to become the Reggie we all love. And that was with Peyton throwing to him

Yup that’s why there is nothing wrong with having a little patience.  People don’t seem to have it anymore.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I thought the same thing.  I was pretty shocked he said it actually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always felt that just like Reggie Wayne started coming along in Year 3, we had to give Alec Pierce a third year to show us what he can do. I’m also glad that both AR and Flacco can air it out because Minshew, for all his smarts, limited AP’s upside while embellishing MPJ’s production.

So playing with a faded Matt Ryan and Minshew didn’t help AP’s case as much as playing with AR. It’s still 1 game and I sure hope he builds on it big time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Nobody is measuring for a gold jacket but the point was aimed at those  who wrote him off as a bad pick and a bust by Ballard.  

• Thanks 1

For Colts to win the division it will be all hands on deck.

As others have said it can take up to 3 years for a receiver to start being good.  It is the second most complex position after QB.

Pierce is in his second year in Shane's system, so this type of growth is to be expected.

• Like 1

Pierce always had the speed but needed time to develop and needing AR5 to be on the field for him to showcase his strengths which is spreading the field by running deep routes. Minshew/Ryan weren't able to get him the ball like Anthony can 50 yards downfield. This is year three of Reggie working with AP14, and he has AR5 available. I'm expecting big things from AP14, AD10, and JD1. MPJ is already established and proven. I can't wait to see Josh Downs return and play with AR5.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2024 at 12:24 PM, chad72 said:

I always felt that just like Reggie Wayne started coming along in Year 3, we had to give Alec Pierce a third year to show us what he can do. I’m also glad that both AR and Flacco can air it out because Minshew, for all his smarts, limited AP’s upside while embellishing MPJ’s production.

So playing with a faded Matt Ryan and Minshew didn’t help AP’s case as much as playing with AR. It’s still 1 game and I sure hope he builds on it big time.

I agree with a bit, but not completely because of his QB situation, the only true way to break down progress would be with control at QB -- in the film of his first 2 seasons he consistently got separation on the deep balls, either protection broke down, or the QB simply wasn't in the position to physically put it that deep 

1 hour ago, smittywerb said:

...I’d like to see him improve his route tree because deep posts and flys will get old quick.  But maybe not if it opens up other parts of field 

I think this ^^^ is the point of Pierce. That is what Ballard, Steichen, Jim Bob, Reggie, Richardson, and Pittman have all been trying to tell us about Alec Pierce. AP has been criticized for his limited route tree; but if the QB can get the ball all the way to him consistently, the other receivers who have better route running (but who are not stretching the field like he does) will feast.

If the AR to AP connection is a legit homerun (I love mixed metaphors) on any given snap, the opposing DCs must plan for him each week. Each play. Even if he isn't the 'best' receiver on the team. That will be the moment when the Colts become unstoppable.

Can you imagine a passing offense who's #1, #2, #3, and #4 Wide Receiver are each as dangerous as the traditional #1 receiver on any other team? #4 Receiver?! Image that because that is what you are about to see.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lester said:

I think this ^^^ is the point of Pierce. That is what Ballard, Steichen, Jim Bob, Reggie, Richardson, and Pittman have all been trying to tell us about Alec Pierce. AP has been criticized for his limited route tree; but if the QB can get the ball all the way to him consistently, the other receivers who have better route running (but who are not stretching the field like he does) will feast.

If the AR to AP connection is a legit homerun (I love mixed metaphors) on any given snap, the opposing DCs must plan for him each week. Each play. Even if he isn't the 'best' receiver on the team. That will be the moment when the Colts become unstoppable.

Can you imagine a passing offense who's #1, #2, #3, and #4 Wide Receiver are each as dangerous as the traditional #1 receiver on any other team? #4 Receiver?! Image that because that is what you are about to see.

I agree with all of this.  One of my beefs with Pierce was that it seemed like he wasn’t getting open fast enough to be utilized for his deep threat ability.  Idk at what point it was last season, but it seemed like minshew had one of the highest time to throws but didn’t have the deep shots to back it up.  I don’t know or have the data, but i Hope Pierce is consistently in the top for top speeds because it means he’s moving fast to burn people

12 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

I agree with all of this.  One of my beefs with Pierce was that it seemed like he wasn’t getting open fast enough to be utilized for his deep threat ability.  Idk at what point it was last season, but it seemed like minshew had one of the highest time to throws but didn’t have the deep shots to back it up.  I don’t know or have the data, but i Hope Pierce is consistently in the top for top speeds because it means he’s moving fast to burn people

Gardner doesn't have a big arm.   The used Pierce to clear out the middle to get Pittman open

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Gardner doesn't have a big arm.   The used Pierce to clear out the middle to get Pittman open

still holding my breath though.  It’s a long season and he’ll have to beat the tape now and continue to develop.  Teams will be expecting for us to throw deep.  This is what separates the players who are good and players who have a good stretch.  It’s good that it seems Pierce finally has a qb to get him the ball, now he has to take the next step.  Getting him the ball isn’t the end all be all (unless he’s the second coming of Randy moss)

as I said above, I won’t mind the possible lack of production from Pierce if it opens everything else up.  Honestly, I’m hoping that Pierce continues to dominate and it allows us to run more 4WR sets when downs comes back.  

One of the reasons people were so down on AP is because of his drops. He didn’t get thrown to much but when he did it seemed he would drop them. 

I wasn’t one who was down on AP, but that was a big reason for him being a whipping boy.  

when you only get thrown to twice a game and you drop one of them you tend to get looked down on.